Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro installed electro mechanical system - no safety off

Options
  • 22-12-2021 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

My neighbouring farmer was showing me his newly installed electric hydraulic scraper. So its a big hunking piece of metal slowly dragging on a rail across a large yard cleaning up mud to central tank. Its driven by strong hydraulics, powered by large single phase motor from a control box plugged to 16amp socket.

There is no safety switch to turn the thing off - is this bad.. I could sort of forsee that a foot/boot might get stuck in the thing and it would be reassuring to be able to hit an off switch or it could start unannounced when servicing something nearby.

Should a big red off switch be fitted somewhere easily accessible.

The control unit is wired high up on wall only reachable by ladder- there are some DIN rail mounted minor displays, circuit breakers and timer controls - shouldnt the box have been installed somewhere accessible. Its a widely used commercial product on many farms.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

In theory the electrician only brought power to the system? It was supplied like that and he just wired to it?

I would think its more the manufacturers liability there in terms of safety's and fail safes .

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭G-Man

Yes electrician only installed a socket (done well - all leccy onsite looks top - notch) ... and left - he could not know. After that a powerful electro mechanical system which starts autonomously in presence of workers.. Should this have big red safety on off - I think it should, however maybe there is exemptions in some way. Might there be a RECI spec or something..

I see another farm with older system... Still similar components and it also has no safety off- however its probably installed years ago - i was surprised at the new one not having basic installation awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Safety measures are installed on the basis of a controlled Risk Analysis exercise.

In this case, as you see obvious risks and high scoring eventualities risking life/limb, then yes, it appears it is missing safety functions.

In saying that, some can be mitigated against by trained usage only and control over who operates. An example being.....a motor vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

There should probably be emergency stop button via contactor so it also stops in a power cut and doesn't just restart.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It depends.

Assuming that this is CE marked it would have been risk assessed by the manufacturer. This installer is obliged to ensure that the system is installed as per the manufacturer's guidelines. It is not normally necessary to carry out another risk assessment, unless for example the installer has deviated from the manufacture's instructions.

Often the method to stop machines such as this are emergency stop push buttons.

• Advertisement

Thats a great answer I was thinking might be out there. I looked at the system again and to be honest despite it starting up and running - I cant see a pinch point. It moves so slowly and with lots of noise and never tight to a wall. . Another way of looking at this its a very controlled environment - pen of cows which will only have an experience farmer enter. A

Same installer as manufacturer and they have been installing this same equipment for years. As I said in other reply - a more reasoned look makes me think my concerns were addressed by the nature of the environment, the slow moving nature and the absence of any pinch points.

Thanks Everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Cheers, but as others have pointed out, a latching relay would be critical in that it requires a manual restart in case of a power interruption. Easily checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

They usually do have a red emergency stop button but that wouldn't help you if you were to get caught in one. That would be installed by the factory on the control box

The actual scraping mechanism isn't usually tied down to a rail. You could lift the whole thing up off the rail and it would stop moving. Only needs to be lifted a tiny bit to stop it. They often have a plunger or a latch on the scraper that gets pushed once it reaches the end of the track to make it change direction, you could reach this by hand to stop it

Some have a sensor to stop if there is a cow in the way that refuses to get up but I don't think it's very common

Advertisement