Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC Fight Night Events Thread - Spoilers Within

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Post in the right thread and you don't have to wait at all - this is a thread for fight night events. PPVs like UFC 266 go in their own thread.

I mean its all pretty clear in the charter.

10) Spoilers

No talk of recent fights and results unless it is in the relevant event thread - if there is none then create one, do not post it in General Chat or another thread. It's still a spoiler if you give the result away in a thread title within a reasonable time period of 1 week, you can talk about it but just give a spoiler warning and don't give results away with obvious headings! No one wants to be spoiled or receive an email notification with the result of a fight because you were too lazy to set up a thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

What happened to the UFC 266 thread, looks like it was deleted?

Always thought it was a mad rule, pandering to the people who browse forums dedicated to the sport they want to avoid, people looking to be annoyed by something they could have avoided easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I'll just not bother posting in this forum again.

With the state of the current platform and your attitude, no wonder there's no business happening here.

It's not really pandering it's just common courtesy to people that didn't have time to catch the event at the weekend that people post in the right thread so it's not spoiled. People being annoyed by something they could have avoided easily - the same logic applies to people complaining, post in the right thread and follow the basic rules and no one gets spoiled and everyone's happy. Don't follow the rules and people are complaining about spoilers and then those that couldn't be bothered to post in the right thread are complaining about their posts.

You asked a question..you were given an answer and shown the relevant point in the charter. If you failed to read it at any point when posting on that forum that's on you, as someone who joined back in 2007 you should be pretty familiar with the fact each forum has a charter and rules to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The forum is so dead it's probably a rule best left in the past. One thread for every UFC event and if there's enough interest break it off (likely on a McGregor fight at this point). It's silly to create a thread when there where three or four of us posting a few comments live. I actually thought it was the correct thread, just clicked into the thread that was active and didn't even look at the title, assume most did the same.

But has the UFC 266 thread been deleted, I tried to respond to a post earlier but it was gone by the time I hit post?

Thats why there is just one fight night event thread - PPV always get their own thread as there is likely to be more ongoing discussion over the few days as people catch up on it. There is a UFC 266 thread there to post in - just trying to move some posts around and clean up at the min.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭Homelander

Reddit has huge MMA and UFC subreddits, there's always seperate threads for each fight and pretty common for them to have hundreds/thousands of comments. It's a fantastic resource, I was quite anti-Reddit for a long time but it's now my favourite place to talk about MMA events.

For some reason I'm not a fan of some of the MMA forums that are more similar to boards, like Sherdog or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Reddit is huge but the good content is drowned in the drool.

This place was leagues better at its peak. But the new site is killing it. Site wide it’s a problem.

• Advertisement

A sports bra and hot pants aren’t going to be very heavy. But 100g could be the differences be rounding up or down to the limit.

But cutting so much you can’t stand is a different story. Regardless of what they’re wearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Has ladd not had issues before with weight cuts?

Plenty. She needs to get serious or move up weight. She's missed weight multiple times and looked like the Grim Reaper was coming for her on the scales.

Blaming it on her period is a total cop out.

How the f*ck is Bethe Correia still in the UFC?

2-5-1 in the last six years.

It won't be long until Karol Rosa rockets up the rankings. I'd fancy her against the majority of the top 10.

UP KING CASEY!

Casey O'Neill is another passenger on the aforementioned rocket up the rankings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

she was due to have her last fight in jan but fight was postponed

she did well to hang in there as long as she did considering her record and it's hard to believe she once fought ronda for the belt.

This main card is sick

outisde of the hernandez fight I think the rest will deliver

I mean cowboy v price should be an absolute war. I fancy both will be getting 50k

someones going to sleep in the main event, think it'll be walker myself but I'm also liking his confidence this time also.

It looks like a fight tailormade for santos though.

Holland really needs a big performance also and cirkunov badly needs a win, his record

is pretty poor and I think jotko could win this just by being that bit tougher.

Jamie Malarkey look savage in there in round 2. What a beat down to finish.

Jamie could be the only one bringing a tri-colour to the octagon for some time.

• Advertisement

She "couldn't stand" because she was up to no good inside the privacy frame. It wasn't because she was dizzy.

It went on for like 10 minutes and the frame kept moving without anyone else touching it. She wouldn't put two hands up when they asked her. She was standing on one leg and wobbling around. Then for some reason they put a towel to cover the gap under the frame. The whole thing was a farce.

She had no problems standing still on the scales 2 minutes beforehand in a tracksuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jersey Puller

Completely forgot he has signed tbh. Wasn't meant as a slight on him, I just ran through irish fighters who had fought in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jersey Puller

I wonder in Ireland is there anyone else close to the standard and likely to sign in the next year or so ?

If I was to bet on somebody. I'd say Paul Hughes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

John Kav finally been called out for terrible corning advice. I though he was shocking for Conor During DP2. Sooner he is out of SBG the better for that gym and Irish MMA

• Advertisement

John Kavanagh out of SBG??? Not ever going to happen, for obvious reasons.

As for the advice, telling somebody they are up, when it's 2-2 in rounds is not great advice. But it's lightyears from the worst advice ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Its his inability to tell his fighter the truth tbh, instead of telling them what they are doing is great and how they are looking great/winning, not copping anything that they are having success with or getting caught with etc that's more of an issue in my eyes.

Walker could have won that fight, and really he should have won that fight but he was too passive and encouraged to be passive by his corner instead of going out to make sure he got his hand raised, even in the final round. You could say this is a close fight, I think we are up but its close - go out there and leave no doubt, win one round you in the fight.

Anyone can read a fight wrong, be too confident that their guy is up, of course but at the top level it doesn't cut it for too long surely? Without the golden boy theres nothing else in that gym coming out for him. Walker is only here cause hes marrying an Irish girl isn't he?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Pretty decent card tonight. 9/10 finishes so far and 7 TKOs in a row going into the main event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Enjoying it aswell, some good performances too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I thought Bisping and his co commentators were out of line suggesting the women's fight should be stopped. Plenty of fight left in Letson when they said it and she got a cracking right hand in afterwards. They're too used to certain refs, Dean in particular, stopping the women at the first sign of one being in trouble.

That was shaping up to be a cracking heavy weight fight, over too fast though. Dean looked as if he changed his mind after stopping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Yair and Max making their walks yet? Watched the entire card but had to run out for an errand. Hoping I'll be back for the fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Fantastic opening round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Missed the first 2 rounds. Ragened. Sounds like they were fantastic. 3rd was great fun too though.

incredible fight

not sure max can be knocked out...or what he's made of

yair looks incredible after his break, a fight with Ortega next possilby.

That's the most bust up Max has ever been

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What a fight.

It wasn't a bad stoppage but Rothwell being as tough as he is might still have gotten out of that. I think Herb stopped it, had a change of heart but then realised it was too late to let it carry on.

I'd love to have seen it continue myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Watched the two big fights tonight.

Viera is very special I think. Miesha Tate looks better than ever to me but she was outmatched tonight.

Sean Brady is one tough nut and brilliant on the canvas. Chiesa is a great grappler and wrestler but he couldn't handle Brady. Brady is dangerous against anybody in the division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Probably the worst card of year I'd say in all fairness, the chiesa/Brady fight was interesting though and I think if viera wasn't being a bit overly respectful to Miesha she would have taken her out, clear winner and would be a problem for anyone if she had a bit more forward aggression in her game.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Yeah not a good card, for me the only truly good fight was Grant v Yanez.

Miesha Tate was saved by Viera's hesitance more than anything. Kinda funny to think she was talking about fighting Nunes. She'd get laid out in about 10 seconds. Not that I think Viera has much for her either.

If Viera had actually pressured more she would easily have KO'd Tate. Miesha's striking has improved a bit but it's still sloppy and nowhere near the high level that's needed at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Viera is imo the biggest danger to Nunes of anybody. I think she has a realistic chance at dethroning her.

Cub Swanson makes light work of Elkins.

I have absolutely no notion how Wonderboy is ranked #5.

Bewildering.

Belal is manhandling him.

Won't win fight of the year that's for sure. Pretty dominant win though

A Black Beast masterpiece on the way.

That was a great card. Delighted to see Derek Lewis back in top form. His post-fight interviews are always priceless. He has to be one of the best 2 dimensional fighters ever, has pretty much nothing except a bomb right hand and still regularly gets it done against fairly elite opposition.

The "unique souvenir" bit was great. Really enjoyed the commentary team as well, Felder calling someone in the crowd a moron was the highlight for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,860 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Time for aul Wonderboy to hang up the gloves , Great guy but sadly time waits for no man ,

Advertisement