Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Got Moderna in the pharmacist last night. First two were Pfizer. I've no problem getting it. Feel almost hungover this morning but nothing too bad.

I'm double vaxxed and don't want to get the booster.

Will put it off for as long as possible.

But ultimately I don't want to be a social outcast. I have friends' weddings I would like to attend next year.

I just don't see the data there for people in their 30s to rush to get the 3rd jab to protect 'themselves and the health service'. I already have sufficient protection from the first two.

When there's double jabbed 30 year olds in ICU, I might reconsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,234 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Isn't that the problem though? I'm not inclined to take a booster but could ultimately be forced if my current vaccine cert is canceled/ replaced. What sort of road are we potentially going down if citizens are effectively forced to take vaccines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

What sort of road indeed?

That would be like saying F**k the European Court of Human Rights. Council of Europe Resolution 2361(2021) on vaccines:

7.3 with respect to ensuring high vaccine uptake:

7.3.1 ensure that citizens are informed that the vaccination is NOT mandatory and that no one is politically, socially, or otherwise pressured to get themselves vaccinated, if they do not wish to do so themselves;

7.3.2 ensure that no one is discriminated against for not having been vaccinated, due to possible health risks or not wanting to be vaccinated.

The sort of road your suggesting is also getting very close to Nuremberg Code territory (carries the death sentence).

1. The voluntary consent of the human subject is absolutely essential. This means that the person involved should have legal capacity to give consent; should be so situated as to be able to exercise free power of choice, without the intervention of any element of force, fraud, deceit, duress, overreaching, or other ulterior form of constraint or coercion; and should have sufficient knowledge and comprehension of the elements of the subject matter involved as to enable him to make an understanding and enlightened decision. ..............................

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

I'm thinking similar, have an appointment today but very undecided.

If I stack up what I see on this:

Omicron seems less severe

I'm 38 and double jabbed

Have no underline conditions I know of.

The FDA themselves were reluctant at first to authorize boosters for younger age groups.

There has been confirmed deaths in New Zealand linked to jab, my friends nephew also got GBS but he's fine now. So there is very minimal risk with jab of bad outcome.

I'm thinking is it best to wait a few weeks and see how this plays out and if Omicron is really insignificant to my age group.

On other hand do not want to be an idiot in ICU who should have just taken the booster. It's hard to know really and I don't really seen to be able to get any real data on what exactly is the risk to my age group if we don't take booster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,517 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ECHR have upheld mandatory vaccination laws.

This utter nonsense. You know what kind of poster you are dealing with when Nuremberg code guff gets trotted out.

In April 2021 (in the case of Vavřička and others v. The Czech Republic), the Court ruled that a vaccine mandate for children who were admitted to daycare centres did not violate the right to private life. While the Court acknowledged that a vaccine mandate is an infringement of one’s right to private life, the measure was justified as it was required for the protection of the rights of others and public health generally.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,877 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I can relate to what you are saying honestly I was a bit hesitant to get mine (40 no underlying conditions). I also had pneumonia in my younger years (as in like 18) it was absolutely horrendous so if covid can hit you worse than that I would avoid. I also didn't fancy the possibility of a reaction to booster over Xmas, I had AZ first two times and booster was Pfizer and zero issue bar a slightly sore arm over 24 hours later. If it was Moderna I might have refused I know some people who weren't great for a few days after that one.

The covid 19 hub has one report which is updated regularly that has 1683 as the total confirmed cases hospitalised in 25-34 age range, but don't see a breakdown by vaxxed, unvaxxed etc.

I did discuss it in detail with my mum who is a retired nurse and that convinced me to go for it, maybe discuss with a doctor or someone in the know? There is some good data on the effectiveness of your initial two doses and the boosters available.

The fact it is currently raging through my sister's house (her husband and all four kids have it - the one hit hardest by it has been her husband who has refused to get vaccinated at all) finally made up my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Every doctor will say get booster.

The original vaccine was a no brainer but this booster to fight off Omicron for 35-39 age bracket I'm really unsure.

Possibly. But that would tell me something as well tbh. It is of course entirely up to you sit tight if you want and see how you feel in the new year, weight up the possible pros and cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,234 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's your last sentence that is critical though: "The fact it is currently raging through my sister's house (her husband and all four kids have it - the one hit hardest by it has been her husband who has refused to get vaccinated at all) finally made up my mind."

Her husband has taken no vaccines to date. That is very different situation from many posters here who are already double jabbed and their decision to take further vaccination or not.

Hospitalised cases are falling - Christmas discharges a factor? What proportion of people in hospital beds primarily due to Covid are either unvaccinated or over 80? That would be useful information for the public, but the HSE PR seems to be shy on spreading the facts.

• Advertisement

It was one of the reasons for my decision definitely to get it now and not wait.

I agree that information would be really helpful.

But there is plenty of information around protection waning hence why the booster is being recommended. I would have got it eventually without the situation with my sister in new year, I just didn't fancy being down for a day or two possibly over Christmas but luckily with Pfizer I seem to be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,429 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Got it just there

Only took a few seconds, little pinch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

I know it doesn't fit with the RTE and mainstream media narrative. Not hard to find, but many, many peer reviewed research papers in reputable journals and various governments health service publications (Obviously not ours) over the last year and more that answer your question. Yes, much more effective.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Got the booster yesterday. I was a little hesitant as the second jab floored me with fatigue for around 3 weeks. A little tired this morning but feel great now.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ShayNanigan

I got Moderna today after two Pfizers. So far only sore arm and hopefully it will be the worst of it because wouldn't want to be suffering all Christmas. First jab gave me only a sore arm for a few hours, the second nerve pain all the way from fingers to shoulder blade, a swollen armpit, flu-like aches in my face and a slight fever but it all went away in a few hours (the same thing without fever happened with the flu shot as well but that one lasted for several days). So... Sort of scared when it will "hit me like a ton of bricks" but hoping nothing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mortis43

Came on here to post pretty much this.

32, double jabbed and had very little hesitancy for the first two vaccines but I do have significant hesitancy with regards to the booster. I don’t feel the whole “you’ll need another vaccine six months after your first” narrative was really communicated sufficiently to the population during the summer when the first two jabs were being administered. Maybe I was living under a rock, but I feel a bit blindsided by all this.

Most people my age that I know have been rushing around dying to get boosted the past week or so and for reasons I can’t quite put my finger on, it just makes me uneasy. Maybe it’s because I had a worrying side effect after my first shot, maybe I’m overly confident in my ability to fight covid, maybe I’m more of a conspiracy theorist than I’d like to admit, but I definitely have a strong gut feeling to hold off on the booster for as long as practically possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's not actually a lot of money in the greater scheme of things, not as modern corporations go

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Got my booster today, just like my 2nd jab after 12 hours I have an elevated heart rate, fever, hot then cold and slight headache. Last time it passed within 24 hours let's see if this is the same.

I'm 30. How do I know my heart rate is elevated, my watch tracks in and can see it slowing rising from resting to active. Nothing to worry about so hopefully it passes like last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Protection Waning specifically refers to Antibodies. Not the immune response which doesn't wane. Memory b cells and T cells.

I seen someone explain it like this and makes it easy for people to understand.

Basically Antibodies are the doormen into a nightclub. They mostly stop anyone dodgy from getting in.

When the Antibodies wane the doormen have fecked off or there's less than usual so some scruffs will get in the nightclub.

But inside the club there is still security guards (mem b and T cells) to throw out anyone causing trouble.

So without booster (and also with!) you can catch the Virus but your original vaccines have already trained and set the B and T cells up for a response.

The difference is the virus will then give you immunity and no amount of boosters can do that for you.

You have to isolate as a Close contact with Vaccines / Booster, you don't have to isolate after recovering for 9 months. Surely that says it all

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You have to isolate as a Close contact with Vaccines / Booster, you don't have to isolate after recovering for 9 months. Surely that says it all

Where did you see that? While the science seems to strongly suggest a bout of covid plus a vaccine can give "super immunity" above and beyond vaccine and booster I've not seen anything official that says recovered covid people don't have to isolate as a close contact?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SamStonesArm

Only got the first jab a few days ago but yeah whenever it's time for an ould booster I'll get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

It's all over the Hse website that you do not need to isolate as a close contact if you've had a positive pcr within the last 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭4Ad

I got my booster on Wednesday, no side effects only weird dreams !!

I had no side effects with either of the first 2 jabs..lucjy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Each booster they foist upon the world's population has the potential to bring in an extra 120bn or so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've had a look and can't find that. Could you link it?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,554 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Antibodies from an infection of a coronavirus wane the same as those that were caused by a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

I'll get the booster but if a fourth is needed/recommended I won't be taking it. In my mind if 4 shots of a vaccine are needed in just a year and possibly more then that vaccine isn't very good and the scientists need to go back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

Glad to see that those 16-39 year olds who had the Janssen one-shot in the summer can get their boosters at a pharmacy from Wednesday, since according to immunologists this cohort has "practically no immunity" from Omicron. Friend's daughter is first in line - personal choice obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

Got this yesterday from my GP who was running a walk-in clinic. They were giving out Pfizer which I wasn't expecting. Not that I've any idea what the difference is between any of them so it didn't really matter to me. Feeling grand today which is a plus because the second dose knocked me for six for a couple of days.

Advertisement