Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smart meter installation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭swoofer

Why are smart tariffs higher? And is this alllowed? Can I get my smart meter taken out?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ring your supplier and they will tell you. The bottom line is once a smart meter is installed the unit rates are all higher.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

can you evidence this with rates on their sites differing between regular meter and smart?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Why would i need to ring my supplier, well actually it's suppliers, i had one installed at the start of 2020, i stayed on a 24 hour tariff, i then switched provider last october, i stayed on a 24 hour tariff, i then switched this october, i stayed on a 24 hour tariff, i then chose to switch to a smart tariff.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Because you seem to havce come to a different conclusion than everyone else.

• Advertisement

Yes, I went to an independent price comparison site bonkers.ie and put in identical information with only one difference. The first time I did it I put in that I had a standard meter, the next time a smart meter. As you can see the smart meter unit cost during the day is higher when using the same provider. Don't take my word for it, try this yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ivg

I think it needs to be clarified that if you have smart meter installed you can keep on the 24hr rates indefinitely while switching providers etc. I have switched twice since having mine installed and just picked the cheapest non smart tariffs each time just like everyone else.

The trick however is that if you choose a smart tariff, then you can never go back to normal tariffs as they remotely reconfigure something at the meter to report in half hour intervals.

Here are the standard meter dual tariff rates, as can be seen they are better value than the 2nd screen shot above (for the smart meter):

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

my apologies i read them wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

My conclusion is from my own lived experience, its what has actually happened over the last 2 years, where is yours drawn from?

I have the actual figures for the different tiers and a smart tariff is cheaper for me, i dont need to use estimates from a comparison site.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,558 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The annual bill for the sandy meter is cheaper. The standing charger is higher fit standard meter

1130 annually for standard meter

1067 smart

A few typos there Ted, but I get your drift. I will take the figures you posted as correct, if so the minor additional standing charge for the standard meter will be rapidly offset by the lower unit rate with the standard meter. This is particularly the case with the dual tariff standard meter.

This is why so many EV drivers want a dual tariff standard meter.

You can conclude whatever you like but the facts show you are incorrect. I demonstrated this with the screenshots in my posts above.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,558 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yes, I was basing my post on your original post, your newer one shows the opposite.

so my post was purely on the original post you made.

Advertisement