Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I hope not. And I’m pretty sure outdoor transmission is pretty impossible based on that study that came out during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

We used to get a daily death count (when it was scary), that has 55 in the past week. It’s propaganda

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

He said they model the number they’re told to model and he re-asserted that when challenged.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

So unfortunately a parent of a poster tests positive and one other poster suggests going anyway and isolating afterwards, another seems to act with disgust with the OP 'doing the right thing' and not having dinner with their parent.

I know that this thread has become vitriolic towards the restrictions, NPHET and all things Tony, but it's just degrading into batshit crazy at this stage. Criticise the restrictions all you like, but you're not the one who will live with the consequences if the OP does go and gets ill afterwards. And don't give me BS about percentage of serious illness being so small etc., you know nothing of the OP's circumstance or any other pertinent medical history.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I mean to the letter of the law nobody should be meeting up with infected family members on Christmas day, I fully accept that

I also fully accept that if an elderly member of my family came down with it today I'd certainly offer to be there for him or her on Christmas Day and I'd be perfectly happy to spend the suggested 10 days in isolation so the spread would not go any further! Furthermore if I was infected already what's the point in avoiding an infected person?

I'm not an idiot who will willingly go off and spread the virus, nor am I somebody who assumes I'll get a mild cold from it but I'll make such a weighted decision on balance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Have to say as I am back in the US for the first time in 2 years and what a world of difference there is to ireland.

im in trump land if you want to get your bearings.

no masks, no social distancing, no restrictions. It literally is like pre 2020.

and to make it worse, I’ve made the local numbers similar to ireland, (I’m in an area with population of 2 million, so not some farmland in the middle of nowhere)

65 pct vaccinated here (vs I think we’re on 95% now)

1500 cases a day on average (this is 1-1 with ireland so against 6500)

hospitals aren’t full / overflowing (besides what the media says; almost like their lying to us). Both my parents over the last two years needed what would be called elective procedures (non urgent) done and there was no issue / delay in accommodating them.

there have been 85 Covid deaths for the full month.

icu beds extrapolated up would be 1200, but they have never had more than 30% utilised during the last 2 years.

honestly the restrictions are a joke in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

This guy and John Burn-Murdoch on Twitter are brilliant if you’re looking for detailed analysis. It seems that more time is needed to see what happens with Delta - Co-existence or displacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dr Fred

You’ve little to be bothering you or experienced little hardship if you’re able to display such a flaccid attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Spend Christmas with your dad. Might have to pause for thought if you were infected and he wasn’t. Presumably you have no severe underlying conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

This might help to get a sense of your own risk

Personally everything I have done has been to protect my parents from this. There is no way I would stay away from them if they were sick, let alone an asymptomatic positive. I would just take care who I was around afterwards, and test myself. Enjoy Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

For me is absolutely crazy that perfectly healthy vaccinated people need to get tested to meet perfectly healthy vaccinated relatives just in case they could transmit a cold... The new normal they call it...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mortis43

Thanks everyone for the guidance and support, it’s really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭prunudo

If, as it looks from early data, it transpires omicron isn't the big bad variant Nphet claim it is, I suspect there will be many people who will be looking back on their behaviour over Christmas 2021 with bewilderment and wondering what they were actually thinking/doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This, 100% this!

Covid has, as it turned out, never been a significant risk to the vast majority of people in this country. This latest variant (as the reports are increasingly indicating) is even less risk again and now represents most cases in the country per the news this morning (but of course, Tony is concerned!).

The idea of healthy adults having to isolate themselves from relatives over Christmas (some of whom may be struggling to with isolation and loneliness themselves) because of NPHET and media scaremongering is frankly scandalous at this point.

How long before the penny drops among the general public and the politicians that the public health excuse is now to protect against a mild case of the sniffles, and how long before they remember that prior to 2020, this would have rightly been considered as farcical?

I'm sure if NPHET and the HSE have their way it'll be the middle of next year before they "allow" people out from under the bed so the spotlight doesn't turn to the question of what we've gotten for the massive amount of money spent over the last 18 months!

ANYWAY...

I hope that everyone on this thread has a great Christmas, acts sensibly but practically and steps away from the media and fear (and even this subforum) for a few days at least.

I'm off to wrap presents and get ready for my own Santa trip tonight 😊

Have a good one folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Is it the right thing to do for your family is the question.

It sounds like your dad and the rest of your family want to meet up, so asses your own risk and if you think you are all vaxed and safe then meet up.

Nphet are not going away are you going to stay away next year if it happens again because restrictions will be here next Christmas.

All I know is if this was my family we would be enjoying Christmas Dinner together.

But do what you think is best for you and your family and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

50-70% less chance of hospital admittance with omicron according to figures coming out of the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 7,302 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Yep, time for people to start acting like grown-ups. Assess your own situation, make your own decisions and stop outsourcing your critical thinking to 'de man on de telly'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

What are we doing here? It’s madness. Protect the health system so beds are available for the sick and vulnerable - all for it but this is an example of the cure being worse than the disease;

If someone at end of life in one of four counties needs palliative care they will die at home without the resources to ease their passing, or die in hospital with no option to go home.

We’ve gone badly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Omg wtaf, this is the worst thing I have read during this pandemic. Being sent home to die with possibly no support services.

Absolutely no dignity at end of life in this country. Not enough hospices. If they decide to stay in hospital to die, their family probably can’t visit due to covid.

If hospitals need to clear terminally I’ll patients from hospitals, they should be able to use private hospitals to give people some dignity and peace.

We accept too much crap in this country without causing a fuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You do realise this is because of the pressure on the health system from COVID patients (where its disproportionately the unvaccinated)? Are you calling for more restrictions to reduce COVID hospital numbers? Some on this thread living in bizarro world.

What is your solution to solve this without restrictions? *grabs popcorn*

(and just to get ahead of nonsense, let it rip makes it worse, using surge and private capacity makes it worse, adding capacity can't be done unless we have an untapped supply of doctors and nurses)

And are case numbers being properly recorded in trump land? How easy is it to get a test by comparison to over here for example

I have family in Nevada who had to pay $120 per test each when they were symptomatic from a private company because there was no public testing happening.

See this is it exactly, if I was positive there's no chance in hell I'd be with my vulnerable relatives on Christmas day! Buy if they have caught it the risk is surely far lower

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭MOR316

We live in a society where the media is unethical, where homeless people are ignored and forgotten about, where people piss the bed if you don't wear a mask, where people are shamed for making a medical choice, where an unelected medical civil servant with a bad history is in the media trying to dictate to us how to live our lives, where crime, drug abuse and acts of thuggery are all rampant and streets are no longer safe...

We went badly wrong a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Genuinely curious as I don't know but do we have a breakdown of the unvaccinated?

How many are pregnant women who might not want to get the vaccine until they give birth?

How many are in ICU before they were offered a vaccine?

How many are old or sick who are advised against a vaccine by doctors?

I seriously doubt healthy unvaccinated people are taking up so many hospital beds so I assume we know the breakdown of the unvaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Yeah, you're going to have to back up that claim. Less than 400 covid patients in hospital out of over 11000 beds available is clearly the reason palliative care is being reduced. And I don't want to hear about ICU numbers because people receiving end of life treatment do not go to ICU.

Maybe it's got something to do with the amount of health care workers out isolating or waiting for tests even though the vast majority are triple vaxxed. The health system is supposedly under so much pressure it can afford to tell 100s /1000s of perfectly healthy staff to stay at home.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Irish blood English heart, never thought I'd switch back allegiance

This country is a jokeshop

At least the Brits want to live

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭brickster69

Not out of the question. The Greeks have to wear two masks outside now, maybe the Irish will have to triple mask indoors and outdoors. Anything is possible now that these killer Omicrons are on the prowl.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There's never going to be a zero Covid day. It will be around in variant form for the rest of our lives. Health officials like Holohan will be pushing for restrictions every winter until he retires. Governments will introduce annual restrictions to pretend they are doing something about the health service. Celebrity Scientists will on our airwaves warning us about the xyz variant. Big Pharma will be telling us we need xyz booster. People who wear masks on their social media profiles will have lifetime Covid Derangement.

Advertisement