Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One4all

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

My employer has taken to giving virtual One4All awards for either €25 or €50. I had tended to use the physical ones for grocery shopping in the past but the virtual ones prove to be an absolute nightmare. You have to set it up as your primary contactless on your phone and it doesn't seem to work on self service registers. I tried to ask one cashier about it in Tesco and I was brushed off. I got a second one to agree to try take my €25 as part of a larger transaction but whatever way they messed up the calculation I am stuck with €0.59 on the virtual card! Is there any retailer online who accepts multiple card payments where I could use up the €0.59?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

My employer has taken to giving virtual One4All awards for either €25 or €50. I had tended to use the physical ones for grocery shopping in the past but the virtual ones prove to be an absolute nightmare. You have to set it up as your primary contactless on your phone and it doesn't seem to work on self service registers. I tried to ask one cashier about it in Tesco and I was brushed off. I got a second one to agree to try take my €25 as part of a larger transaction but whatever way they messed up the calculation I am stuck with €0.59 on the virtual card! Is there any retailer online who accepts multiple card payments where I could use up the €0.59?

Quick answer is no as in almost all online transactions just one payment type can be processed.

Anyway, it's 59c - hardly worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

I used to hate getting one4all cards until I learned they can be used for Just Eat. The last couple of takeaways have been care of my voucher. Otherwise I use them in Penneys. Cash is king, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

aoife1991 wrote: »
    I used to hate getting one4all cards until I learned they can be used for Just Eat. The last couple of takeaways have been care of my voucher. Otherwise I use them in Penneys. Cash is king, imo.

How do you use the odd amount change left over as you get towards the end of the voucher?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

How do you use the odd amount change left over as you get towards the end of the voucher?
    Penneys or TK Maxx. I used one in TK Maxx recently for €3.61. I was a bit embarrassed but the fella on the till said people do it all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭grimeire

does anyone know if you can still transfer digital cards to physical cards.

I got a few digital ones from work and it appears on the site that you can only use those digital cards with phone apps. I dont have NFC on my phone so can use them. I was able to transfer the digital to physical cards last year.

As usual the One4all support dont respond or are unreachable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

The other half got one today for a present.

Decided to spend it in Woodies and the said there was nothing on it. So she checked the balance on the app and it said zero.

Her friend said there should be €50 on it.

No answer from one4all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,816 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

What this about activating cards? I've never done it. Is it only for online or chip and pin or something?

Doesnt say anything on the card or cover at all about activating it. Its not a chip and pin one either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

no activation needed on cards with a value of €150 or less.

I'm surprised that one4all don't copy the Irish owned me2you cards by getting the ID from the company purchasing the cards and once of the directors. This satisfies the aml requirement and would be a lot less stressful

I got a €50 non chip and pin last week that required activation. This is the norn when I get these cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Supervalu take these OP, gets some sweets to make up the value :)

Use the app, works on the self service tills no bother. my work social club gives us a €10 one4all virtual card instead of a bottle of wine or a box of chocs last two years and I wanted to get every last cent if possible out of them.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Love to know this aswell. Finding the digital one impossible to use.

She wasnt going to call the friend and tell them but I told her that her friend would like to know if she is paying for gifts with no money on them and sure enough she did. So her friend got through to someone and we just checked the balance there and its on the card.

I wonder is that another underhanded way they make money. Most people wouldnt tell the person who gifted them that there was nothing on it out of embarrassment. One4all then get to keep that money.

Add that to getting to the commission on buying the vouchers.

Keeping the odd few euros that are always left on them.

People losing the cards.

Its all a nice little earner for one4all.

I wish id thought of that business model.

And I get non chip and pin from a survey company every few months and they must be activated. The letter with the card says so and the balance is zero until I activate it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

There is a better card out there for employers. My employer uses Perx. No hassle using it in big stores and can be used on line I believe. We moved to this a few yrs ago cos of staff complaints on One4all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A whole business model has been built on getting people to pay a commission to give what is the equivalent of a cash gift. And then depending on the receiver not spending all the gift in good time. The same way as a whole business has developed getting people to change their service provider for electricity etc. If people are sensible, they will not be the ones being stung, but that is ignoring human nature. Even if people get cash as a gift, it could easily finish up lodged into an account which is abandoned to become dormant. Vast sums are left like that. The current Lottery operator has "earned" €100 million extra profit from people who never bothered to cash in winning tickets.

I get a €50 one4all card every Christmas. I ensure it is spent quickly and there is never any remaining balance. Probably a big majority of people do the same, and in the end if people allow them to go unused for over a year it is their own fault. The first result on Google for "Gift voucher business model" is this American one, and there are lots more for anyone interested.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-gift-card-business-model-Who-owns-it-who-prints-it-how-do-they-make-money-since-the-cards-are-sold-at-the-face-value

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Our employers gave us perx a couple of years ago. No problem using it.

• Advertisement

If your card system is generating so many complaints I think we can assume it's not peoples own fault.

There's so many limitations to these cards now, and such poor support from the company.

I'd prefer a store voucher then these hard to use very limited genetic cards. I must look into Perx.

Finally managed to use my online digital one 4all card. I couldn't set it up on my phone wallet so had to use it online. I had to use for something I didn't need, but I couldnt get most sites to accept it. I also left a good bit of money on the card. hard to get delivery on smaller items when buying online.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I have no experience of those cards, but just a general comment it is normal to see complaints more than reports of good customer experience. Like a lot of other things in the world, life is getting more complicated with these cards. Blame the "bad guys" who have turned what used to be simple transactions like opening a bank account, into a whole rigmarole these days. By their money laundering and other nefarious activities. This is just a small extract from a very very long EU Directive, under which everyone has to operate.

General purpose prepaid cards have legitimate uses and constitute an instrument contributing to social and financial inclusion. However, anonymous prepaid cards are easy to use in financing terrorist attacks and logistics. It is therefore essential to deny terrorists this means of financing their operations, by further reducing the limits and maximum amounts under which obliged entities are allowed not to apply certain customer due diligence measures provided for by Directive (EU) 2015/849. Therefore, while having due regard to consumers’ needs in using general purpose prepaid instruments and not preventing the use of such instruments for promoting social and financial inclusion, it is essential to lower the existing thresholds for general purpose anonymous prepaid cards and to identify the customer in the case of remote payment transactions where the transaction amount exceeds EUR 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Has anyone else had trouble activating their Chip & Pin card?

The website says to fill in the last 8 digits (the first 8 are pre-populated and can't be deleted to match the first 8 on my own card). This means the 16 digit code doesn't match my card.

When I press Enter with the first 8 digits I'm given followed by my own last 8, it says it's not a valid card number??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Oh definitely I would much prefer to know there was a problem, if I gave someone a gift card of any sort and it was zero, for some reason. I remember reading on a wedding forum about a couple who got one as a present for some furniture shop or something and there was nothing on it. Glad it's sorted.

You're missing the point.

It's a convoluted system. There are multiple different types of cards different limitations and different authentication methods. Then you have poor response to support queries. While the information is on their website it's not very obvious the delimination between the different cards and specially the different limitations.

It just shouldn't be that difficult to use.

I'd argue they should have a user profile that allows you to match the technical and preference of the card user with the card type they should buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The cards arent updated in real time, it takes a day for them to be updated.

Could she not have simply gone online and checked. It's very simple.

They don't make money from selling the cards, the money is made from charging retailers that accept it outrageous commissions of 10%+ That's why many retailers won't accept the cards.

With the lockdown they probably doing a massive amount of business. So the current issues probably won't affect then in the long run.

• Advertisement

If you read the post, thats exactly what she did and thats how she found out there was zero balance on the card.

The balance didnt appear on it until her friend finally got through to someone about it.

Advertisement