Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Remember when Tony predicted 4,000 in hospital by Christmas? He still has 15 hours so I’ll grant him the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I know it's time to change the tune we are mostly vaccinated and done everything we can I agree nphet should give it a rest like you say its Christmas.

Health workers are dropping like crazy due to covid. I'm on call for St. Stephen's day now. Eugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 VeryWise

I think a lot of people are wisely tuning out for Christmas and just going along with the conservative advise to be safe. Especially if mixing with vulnerable family or people that will need a negative test to return home to other countries.

But at some point hopefully more people will question much of the total nonsense that people in positions of power indulged in when they had the chance, Tony closing pubs, Nolan scaring cowards with extreme scenarios. Those pictures of Tony and the children are like something from North Korea.

Many posters commented on the similarity with how Irish people allowed previous groups to exercise authoritarian control. In all previous cases when the mood changed it was fast and severe, church and banks for example. My wish for 2022 is that we something similar here and that it drives reform to the health system and people taking their rights more seriously. Will it come through?

Lastly thanks to all on here that shared their frustrations with the flaws in the response, I read this thread regularly for the year and it has helped keep me sane to know that other people can see the issues and ask the right questions. I am sure there are many more like me you are helping. It might feel very little just posting on boards but it means a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

By ‘dropping’ you mean sitting at home watching Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This might actually be the biggest impact of Omicron. Other countries have started setting reduced quarantine times for healthcare workers because they're being hit so hard with shortages.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if some country starts telling asymptomatic health workers to come into work and work on Covid wards until they return a negative PCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Wasn't there a similar stigmatisation of AIDS victims in the 1980s?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The problem with that is most doctors are impossible to contact by phone now

Totally agree with you.

I would think right now hospitals ate being run efficiently, its the first xmas in the last ten years the radios havent been full of hospital crisis.

And never forget that NPHET figures and some senior have spent decades in senior positions and in a position to reform the health service, they let it continue year after year, decade after decade, millions of euros poured in to a bottomless pit.

So make your voice heard once this is over, email all your politicans until you get an answer as to why we have the highest spend in the OECD on the health service, a very young population, we should have had the shortest restrictions but we had one of the longest in the world.

If you dont shout out all the damage the country has suffered will be for naught, all the unemployment, the money spent on PUP, the lost of education for young people, the loss of two very important years of early adulthood, the terminal damsge to the physical and mental health of the over seventies, many who will die ten years earlier because of the enormous stress they suffered.

All pointless because if we dont learn from this, dont kick deadwood out of the way, dont tackle vested interests benefitting themselves financially snd blocking reforms that would effect their enormous bank accounts, then we go through all this again when another crisis arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Irish Times ran an article a couple of days ago saying we're considering removing close contact rules for key workers. I think the UK have reduced their quarantine period for everyone also.

I'm biased due to my age bracket but I know a lot of people who have gotten it this month and nobody was in any way sick after 4 or 5 days.

I also would like to say, after a lot of nonsense said on here and by Nolan regarding Antigen tests. I've heard of multiple people picking up covid with little to no symptoms on an antigen, then subsequently getting a PCR and testing positive, myself included. Still think its absolutely insane they discouraged their use earlier.

• Advertisement

Hopefully get away skiing in late March if the encouraging news about the omicron follows through. Maybe even get in the dream trip to Bhutan later on in the year although Bhutan is currently closed to foreign visitors.

I shan't be on 120 euro/ hour. Shockingly, the public sector does not pay as well as the private sector unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ganoga

it's been said before but testing facilities in other countries are really something-else compared to Ireland. was in France for couple days up north in a fairly small town(~20,000). Could get a PCR test in three different places. Compared to back home, I can't even get an antigen test by a trained professional in a town less than 20km away from Dublin never mind a PCR.

Enjoying my Christmas in UK. I feel like I made the right choice to move. nobody really cares at this stage here. If there's a lockdown feel free to point and laugh at me though 😀

Hope everyone in this thread has a great christmas and stays safe

Sure he used to only follow the rules that were convenient to him. Selfish, narrow minded view. By the projections and the fact that only 1 in every whatever amount infections are caught, a good million or so will catch Covid.

Were they all selfish and carefree?

(Lets be honest - when that poster says carefree, he means people living their lives in a way he doesn’t agree with).

Happy Christmas everyone 😀

We are at the end of this pandemic now with Omicron and will be back to normal soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There was certainly a time when it was easy (for most people) to avoid Covid with a little bit of diligence and control.

You had people telling Joe Duffy that they caught it from a DHL man or because someone walked too close to them in the shops, never mentioning the boozy dinners they were hosting in their houses.

Delta really eliminated that. Diligence was useful, but no longer a guarantee. And Omicron completely fvcked it. Unless you're willing to actually cocoon again, "being safe" is only a small protection at this stage. It's way more down now to a roll of the dice.

Anyone still tutting and curtain twitching when people catch Covid, is now the social outcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Another year over and a new one just about to begin. Doubt this ever crossed his mind when he was writing the song! It’s been another very tough 12 months, with people tested well beyond their levels of resilience add many more have got sick or sadly died. Some people have turned on each other, some have faltered, some have embraced a more philosophical approach to life. In the face of so much frustration it's definitely the healthier path to take.

Once again we have uncertainty about what's going to happen to us next year, but there is definitely much more hope than this time last year. Sure, we may be back to screaming media headlines of hospitals being overrun for a bit but there is a hint of the end of the tunnel coming.  It may be the case that the white knight is in fact the virus itself in the form of Omicron. Even if it's not, progress on other medical fronts should make 2022 a much better year and ideally be the end of all this.

So, enjoy the season for whatever it is to you and be safe into a better 2022.   

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bluedex

This is exactly it. There seem to be elements of hysteria in some groups and in some environments. It doesn't mean people are running around the streets screaming and waving their arms in the air!

I was just posting a study carried out on it by a reputable source - I didn't see any mention of a "pub occupancy review" in it 😉

I'd swear some people on this thread would argue with themselves....

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

I don't think you understand what hysteria literally means. Furthermore, the poster suggested there was not only hysteria but "mass hysteria".

Spolier alert : There is no hysteria.

Happy (hysteria free) Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bluedex

Feel free to email the organisation with your educational observations. I'm sure they'd be very interested/

🤣

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

I have had 4 texts already this morning about positive cases . People who were as careful as possible and just got very unlucky . Anyone still tutting or blaming need a good head wobble now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Majority treble vaccinated, by next year majority natural Immunity as well.

This has weeks to go, nevermind months or years.

Never mind all the New anti virual treatments coming on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Anecdotally - around here I've heard of more people I'd regard as cautious and following the guidelines catching covid than the ones I'd regard as not being overly cautious and doing the minimum. Two thirds to one third I'd guess in the circle of people I know of.

I think at least one public sector employee is on almost 420,000 er annum.

Doubt if you are short of a few bob anyway,pharmacy points are very high for a reason and its not because people want to spend their lives popping pills into little bottles.

its the riches that await, big pharma is a golden goose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Semus it's sounds to me that you've finally realised this can't end using the approach we did for almost 2 years.

Your essentially alluding to let it RIP, something that should have happened last July.

The lightbulb has finally illuminated

If you knew anything about Pharmacy you would know its not all about popping pills in a bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Can anyone tell me if I need to restrict my movements if I’m a close contact? Went to the cinema with a friend yesterday who took three antigen tests after, all positive (he got a call from another friend who was positive).

I called the HSE helpline and was told only household close contacts need to restrict their movements, non household close contacts only need to take the antigens over a period of 10 days but not to isolate unless symptomatic or positive.

however another friend sent me a screenshot of what’s on the HSE website which says you do need to restrict movements if you are a non household close contact, albeit it’s a tad confusing the way it’s laid out (which is why I called the helpline).

can anyone tell me if non household close contact needs to isolate???

Yes there was more hope last year but that was because desperate people in a four month lockdown without even outdoor sports facilities were told vaccines were the way out, told this repeatedly and we believed it because we wanted to.

If we had stopped to think the flu mutates eevery year and some years the flu vaccine doesnt match the strain we might have been more questioning,we might have asked how come in a bad flu season hundreds die of the flu even though they are vaccinated so why would covid be any different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Are we seeing the full benefit of being a hugely vaccinated population now? Only 89 in ICU and 393 in hospital in total. Two vaccinations still prevent hospitalisation and serious disease, especially a variant that is not so serious. It really does seem that way...

And this time last year there was a massive rush to get beauticians, hairdressers, restaurants and pubs shut at 1pm before the full lockdown came in. So far better days this Christmas.

Here's to a way better 2022!

Advertisement