Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to talk to that family member...

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's more because of the failures over many decades of Irish governments, civil service and unions leaving us with a lack of capacity every winter and long before covid.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Have to say that I don't find the article in any way helpful. Anyone who has someone like this close to them will have tried every single solution on that list already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭thefallingman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

tis indeed, but our health care systems failures are far more complex than just that, the integration of the private sector into it has also failed, as it has just become a highly wealth extractive process, i.e. its a mutual failure of both the public and private sector entities, so in order to try deal with these failures, we re now panicking, and trying to get as many boostered as possible, to try prevent a major system failure, tis best not be getting sick for the foreseeable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Can I just say that strictly speaking panic is always maladaptive.

It was definitely maladaptive in the case of the March 2020 episode since many people developed anxiety disorders they will never recover from and the restriction measures were never thereafter adjusted to account for the actual relative low mortality of covid, which if said adjustment did not occur immediately in April 2020 nor immediately upon vaccination of the elderly and vulnerable last Spring now may never happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Hang on, what?

the restriction measures were never thereafter adjusted

I think you may have missed a few memos.

By chopping out a part of my sentence you have changed its contextual meaning.

The first lockdown was presented as a solution for a killer plague that was going to wipe out 100s of millions of people.

The restrictions were never adjusted *to account for* the true low mortality rate of covid, which is relatively trivial.

We also missed our Dept of Health ICU expansion target for end of 2021 by 32%. But hey whatever right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You're bang on the money, Wibbs. Very different situation now to early 2020 and yet, we are being fed the same diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Why would anyone try and talk to them, they are not going to listen to you.

Either have them over and insist on hand washing a bit of distancing etc or don't invite them.

Talking to them about vaccinations would be a waste of time and just cause upset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Can we vaccinate AH against Covid crap? The main thread over on the Covid forum is already overrun with Facebook researchers. Keep AH immunized from this please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Ok you either sent this to Newstalk or Ciara Kelly is trawling boards. She read this out this morning word for word !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Isn’t the figure for the number of unvaccinated in ICU at the moment something like 50%? When that comes from 7 or 8% of the population it’s pretty worrying.

I, also, heard that the median age of that 50% is 38. I’ve got a couple of mates who are unvaccinated, I don’t foresee myself “meeting up” with them anytime soon but if I did I would be more worried for them than for myself. Especially after I get my booster shot.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

On a personal level I'm not particularly paniced about the disease. Although I'm over 50 and carrying a few pounds extra weight, I'm reasonably fit and fully vaccinated, so there are many more riskier health concerns out there for me.

However I also don't think that virtually every health system, scientific advisers, etc in every developed country are reacting without carefully considering all the risks. The response of different countries may vary in the details but the overall type of response is fairly universal. I don't think this can be put down to some sort of universal panic.

I don't know the answer to this, but if tomorrow, the government decided to remove all restrictions and also the population decided to go back to normal, (party like its 2019..) what do people genuinely think the outcome would be.

I doubt there would be mass graves or breakdown in civilisation but there would be massive strain on the health system and many older and sicker people would die. That may be the price we eventually have to pay since I don't think restrictions are sustainable.

Massive investment in health system and ICU capacity is the only long term way out imo. We can also hope for better traetments not just vaccine reliance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep if you're unvaccinated you're much more likely to get serious illness that requires hospital and you're more likely to die too. However the overall risk of needing hospital and/or dying vaccinated or not(but it's much better to be) for those under 50 not in pretty bad health and/or scarily unlucky is tiny. The average age of those who died from covid pre vaccines is 80. A couple of months off the average age of death in Ireland before covid. 40% of all those who died were over 85. 90% of all those who died were over 65. Even if you were in the over 85 demographic who were really hit hard by this pox you still had a 90% chance of not dying from covid.

Covid 19 is by some measure the least deadly pandemic pathogen in world history and one that thankfully unlike the others pretty much avoided kiiling children and the young. The 1918 flu pandemic on the other hand was notable for killing people in the prime of life. The nasty version of smallpox killed a third of those infected regardless of age and left another third fecked for life. That killed three hundred million men women and children in the 20th century alone.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭a2deden

What countries have more intelligent populations than Ireland?

• Advertisement

Vaccines have been mandatory in countries for decades. Hardly Nostradamus.

As for democracy...where do most people spend a large percentage of their lives?...in the workplace. How much democracy is in the workplace?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

What kind of notice do you think the Flu virus gives each year before it mutates?

Jesus Christ, there is some ignorance about all this vaccine stuff. Which would be fine - you can't be an expert on everything - if people had the brains to listen to expert medical advice.

Another article, this time in the IT, coaching you on how to fight with your family on Christmas day.

Mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Yes, I know that

I was saying " Here's a vaccine for the flu, which has been around for a long time, and it's perfectly comparable to this vaccine for Covid, which we made recently and doesn't have a track record yet "

It people are interested in "medical" advice, they need to ascertain which hat the source is wearing

The technology for both types of COVID vaccine has been around for quite a while. The Oxford AZ verison using technology from the 70s. The 'experimental' stuff you are hearing about is coming from troll farms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The Novavax one, recently approved, is based on old technology so should be considered by the vaccine “hesitant” out there.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

The technology for both types of COVID vaccine has been around for quite a while.

This is extremely misleading at best. OK then, name a commercial product licenced for human use that is an mRNA based therapy? Caveat; that didn't come out in the last two years and isn't a covid 19 vaccine. If the technology has been "around for quite a while", this should be easy for you. After over ten years of research and promise Moderna's only current commercial product is their covid 19 vaccine.

Viral vector vaccines have a little more history going back to around 2010, but previous to Covid 19 there were only two in actual use(ebola and I can't recall the other one). I have no idea where you're getting your "technology from the 70's" from. Hell, even sequencing genes in the 70's was a major undertaking and took years.

Troll farms are certainly promoting misinformation and half truths, but they're not the only ones doing so. Your statement is a near mantra at this stage, but it's just as much misinformation and half truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

We won't be vaccinating our way out of this mess anytime soon, so I doubt there will much motivation out there.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

There was a lot of talk about how it would take X months & Y months to produce a vaccine at the start of all this . . .

Aren't we lucky to have you here Wibbs - you should be leading the EMA or perhaps the WHO, given that your knowledge of these medicines is clearly greater than the morons working for those organisations.

Yes, it takes X months to produce the new flu vaccines for the anticipated strains of concern on an annual basis. Nobody had an issue with this before Russian Troll farms and local cranks started peddling anxiety to disrupt the vaccination effort.

So you can't answer my points or question then? It should be easy to do so if your claims were true, no? Instead you bring in a lazy appeal to authority to avoid doing so. Authorities I never said were wrong by the way. Authorities who never made the claims you did either.

The vaccines have been a game changer with this pandemic. They have saved an uncountable amount of lives that would have otherwise been lost. They've been incredibly good at that and this is against a background where a vaccine against coronaviruses has never been successful. And they were rolled out in under a year. Even with the waning antibodies that seem to have many freaking out they kept that protection going as the numbers show.

You seem to have a thing about Russian "troll farms" and "cranks" peddling anxiety about vaccines. Odd, given the Russian authorities are trying their damnedest to promote uptake of vaccines in their country because the lack of uptake among their population. A lack of uptake that's killed many thousands of them already. Do you not think you're at the other, albeit much better end cheerleading vaccines with BS?

I have a problem with BS, because BS even in the service of a good cause is still BS. Why? Because if people decide to check it out for themselves and find the "good" BS is, well BS, it will convince them to become cranks and reinforce any trepidation they have.

There’s a kind of cult of vaccine that derives from US partisanship - the kind of person who watches CNN religiously. In the US the Right is often opposed to vaccines or passports or mandates, in Europe it’s a mixed bag. The CNN watchers are likely to get into a tizzy about Russian troll farms.

in any case Wibbs’ response to your statement on mRNA was thorough and well researched, your response to him was trite.

as for me I am tripple vaxxed, but unlike you I’d be triple vaxxed even if it were not fashionable with CNN viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

They're probably better off without 'friends' like that to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

The Irish population has been very overly timid and overly frightened of the virus, I don't blame them for that I blame the Irish media.

I don't really watch RTÉ or TV3 news but anytime I do watch it they sure do hype it up, compared to most news stations the scare mongering they have on there is unbelievable.

I'm a realatively young healthy male with little to no reason to fear the virus but after watching RTÉ the other night I felt a little bit frightened and worried about going outside that night.

I have an elderly family member who is absolutely terrified of the virus and has become obsessed with it, I don't know if the Irish news stations fully comprehend the fear they are putting into elderly people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

If a member of my family starts talking conspiracy theorist, troll farm rubbish about the “experimental” vaccines I will simply ask them to STFU. STFU and GTFO, please and thank you.

All this milquetoast “this is how you gingerly approach the subject” stuff is playing into their hands, and a way for them to control the discourse. I won’t have it and I’m not falling for their tricks.

You realise you are providing ammunition for the anti-vaxxers with your tiny knowledge of vaccines? You honestly think you know more than the scientists of the EMA and the other regulatory bodies? Do you think they aren't considering the lives of their fellow citizens in everything they do?

While you continue to spread FUD? Good man yourself.

generic_throwaway’s post about technology from the 1970s probably refers to Robert Langer’s research on MRNA sequences in MIT in the 1970s (link below). Maybe Wibbs you should take a look at that instead of talking muck?

Obviously Facebook wasn’t around back then so the “do your own research”/“wake up sheeple”/“I’m just asking questions” brigade(s) on boards.ie wouldn’t know anything about it. What did one poster say? People who are pro-vax are mindless CNN-watching drones, except him who is triple vaxxed? Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious.

https://news.mit.edu/2020/rna-vaccines-explained-covid-19-1211

So you still can't address my points then? Again please point out the inaccuracies in my posts. If you won't because you can't and want to run with your avoidant tangent please point out where I said I know more than the scientists and the regularity bodies. I didn't. And I wouldn't.

You also seem to have missed this part:

The vaccines have been a game changer with this pandemic. They have saved an uncountable amount of lives that would have otherwise been lost. They've been incredibly good at that and this is against a background where a vaccine against coronaviruses has never been successful. And they were rolled out in under a year. Even with the waning antibodies that seem to have many freaking out they kept that protection going as the numbers show.

OHMIGOD! Stop the presses!! We have an anti vaxxer here! Not. Well, unless someone is incapable of reading plain bloody english. And if the search is working again around here you will find I was a strong and very early advocate for masks(I'd be pretty confident in believing I was wearing them before you were), and lockdowns in the initial stages to "flatten the curve" and social distancing and yep, vaccines as ways to mitigate this virus.

You're spreading half truths and complete bloody nonsense, albeit to a better end yes, but they're still half truths and nonsense. Any anti vaxxer nutters reading your stuff are a wiki article away from confirming that and then throwing the baby out with the bathwater and assuming the vaccines themselves are a nonsense. Any anti vaxxer reading my posts can go off and google away and find yep that's backed up by facts and yet I'm still saying in plain english that vaccines are a huge positive that have saved millions from serious illness and death because people are getting vaccinated. Who's providing more ammo for the nutters again?

Did you miss the part where Fyp4 has clearly stated he's happily been triple vaccinated? If he's an anti vaxxer he's a really bloody terrible one. And you think he's the one talking without recourse to his mouth? It's far more likely that near religious zealots like you, armed with half truth, bullshít and snarky and avoidant responses to questions you can't answer are far more likely to sway those on the fence. Not Fyp4.

Oh and you forgot to type "troll farms".

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

I remember when we were told that glyphosate was safe for the environment and the people within the environment who'll be in contact with it . It was so safe you could drink it and a spoon full of soil would deactivate it.

The company who developed glyphosate had scientists who could manipulate the data and risk assessments on the product in such a way they thought they had their asses well covered.

I'm double vaccinated myself, and get the flu shot every year. But I'm still aware that we could have been hood winked. I did all the research myself and went deep into how these RNA things work.

There's no long term statistics, and that's worrying.

I think Wibbs has valid concerns.

What qualifies you to conduct “your own research?” (/chortle) Or Wibbs with his “valid concerns” for that matter?

Jaysus it's like they're reading from a crib sheet. BTW he said the AZ was based on 70's tech. the AZ vaccine is a viral vector, not mRNA. Do keep up.

“People in the field, including myself, saw a lot of promise in the technology, but you don’t really know until you get human data".

Yep and that human data was only in play since covid 19. It was 2018 before any such tech was approved. And I agree with him, it is an important moment in the field. Most certainly in the vaccine production end. One that almost certainly would still be in the research stage if covid 19 hadn't hit. In other therapies it may take longer as one of the main reasons why this promising tech after over a decade in active research for viable and commercial products got into vaccine production was because of the other avenues explored so far proved lacking, or even dangerous because of the different requirements and higher doses which had to be stopped in early trials.

I'm not on facebook BTW. Nor have I ever used the word "sheepie". And you seem to have completely missed the point of the triple vaxxed poster. "Hilarious" indeed.

• Advertisement

“human data was only in play since covid 19”

Not true, pal, sorry.

“Human trials of cancer vaccines using the same mRNA technology have been taking place since at least 2011. ‘If there was a real problem with the technology, we’d have seen it before now for sure,’ said Prof. Goldman.” (Link below)

I think a few of the posters genuinely need to take a step back and get over the ego trip they get from “just asking questions” or “doing their own research.”

Call it an appeal to authority all you want but experts in vaccine research actually know more about vaccine research than Google Jockeys riding the waves on the internet.

https://ec.europa.eu/research-and-innovation/en/horizon-magazine/five-things-you-need-know-about-mrna-vaccine-safety

There's no long term statistics, and that's worrying.

I think Wibbs has valid concerns.

I don't really have concerns Shilock. Now I did, when these were first rolled out. Why? Because the technology in humans was new, it was the first time it was rolled out for wider human trials after a lot of dead ends including some trials being halted in animal models because it was considered too risky to take it to humans, and in the face of a 100% understandable emergency. Though emergencies drive innovation. Look at WW2. By the end of it we got the jet engine, rockets, computers, atomic power and leaps in a load of other technologies, never mind massive cultural changes around gender equality and the end of European empires. The two things Hitler did that made him a "hero", he killed Hitler and he dismantled European colonialism.

Now with nearly two years of data they're looking pretty good as a tech. For vaccines anyway. And no doubt the wide use and data from that could well tweak the tech for other therapy avenues. Could they cause some unforeseen long term issues? Sure. We can't claim long term anything on short term results, but they're looking pretty good. If the mRNA tech has an issue, it's also part of its positive; it targets a very specific part of the virus, the spike protein. If that changes then efficacy can drop right off. Whereas with a whole virus you can get a wider immune response so changes are less likely to bypass it. This has been borne out by research into those who caught covid "naturally" and went on to get vaccinated. The double whammy seems to give a super immunity to more variants and for longer. If we can replicate that in a vaccine programme we'd be golden. Maybe by dosing with an inactivated whole virus vaccine and a protien spike vaccine booster. The current Omricon variant could well do it "naturally", at least in majority vaccinated populations.

I also don't think there was any hoodwinking going on. Not beyond the usual covering of arses and commercial considerations. Far too many eyes and brains have been on this. I never put faith in conspiracy. Conspiracies when they do happen never stay conspiracies for long. It always comes out and it's pretty much always in plain sight. Look at the US pharma and governmental stuff with their opioid crisis. That was known within months of it starting to kick off. I put far more faith in follow the money, fecked if we know, fcukups and basic human nature and inertia. Again look at the US pharma and governmental stuff with their opioid crisis.

“Human trials of cancer vaccines using the same mRNA technology have been taking place since at least 2011. ‘If there was a real problem with the technology, we’d have seen it before now for sure,’ said Prof. Goldman.” (Link below)

Sorry "pal", 🙄 you're riding the google wave yourself. The human trials of cancer vaccines, which were tiny and never went beyond phase 1, were halted because they showed little efficacy and other trials into other disease therapies were halted because the risks were too high to even go beyond animal trials. Again a big reason why mRNA research shifted into vaccines, even though they were of a much lower return on investment before this pox, was because they were much more likely to show effectiveness and because of the lower doses involved much less likely to show side effects.

Your link leads with: mRNA vaccine technology is not entirely new. They're dead right. It isn't entirely new, but it is new at this level. Extremely new. Again name one commerical approved mRNA therapy that came along before covid 19 and the vaccines. Moderna, a company set up over a decade ago to capitalise on the promise of this tech has after lots of research and cash spent has only one commercial product licenced for humans, their covid vaccine.

mRNA vaccines do not alter your DNA/mRNA vaccines are very specific/ The vaccine triggers an inflammatory response Yep I'd agree with all that. And I'd 100% agree with this: ‘The highest risk right now (especially for vulnerable people) is not to be vaccinated.

Apart from saying over and over again that mRNA vaccines weren’t commercially available what exactly is your point? In other words: so what? You don’t think they’re a risk, and you’re not “just asking questions.” What are the actual fruits of you “doing your own research?”

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

Hes pertinently pointing out the bull shite you and one other are posting.

Hmmm I don’t think he is. All he seems to be saying is that mRNA vaccines are a new, untested technology despite the fact that they have been in development with human trials for at least a decade. Oh I guess because they weren’t “commercially available,” right? Like if you can’t buy them over the counter in Boots it’s a psuedoscience right? 🙄

• Advertisement

despite the fact that they have been in development with human trials for at least a decade.

Well under a decade and where they went to phase 1 human trails they were in tiny numbers and weren't followed up(eg; rabies vaccine, 102 test subjects in 2013) or never got to human trials because of lack of efficacy or concerns about toxicity. "Commercially available" is a good standard, especially after all these decades of research you're claiming as a plus point. Commercially available means it's shown efficacy and passed trials.

Decades of research can only be a plus point. Aren’t you concerned that the vaccine was rushed out? Or not? Once again I am finding it difficult to determine what your point is exactly. I dunno maybe this is just a creative writing exercise for you.

“Commercially available” is an arbitrary standard you made up and for some reason the rest of us are somehow obliged to adhere to that dogma.

There’s definitely an element of having your cake and eating it too in your posts. You say you’re not anti-vax and yet you’re waffling on regardless in the guise of just asking questions. I dunno maybe you’ll have a more receptive audience with the Professors of Vaccinology on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

The same thing that qualifies you to ask me a stupid question :)

Did you miss the part where that idiot made up a whole backstory for me with no idea who I am?

Wow, Boards and its moderators have really gone down the shi!tter the last few years. You're going to have a lot of time on our hands when they finally shut it down.

Too much CNN, I think he said, made you a fervent pro-vaxist. Meanwhile he is triple vaxxed himself. A true original thinker, one of the great intellectuals of our time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement