Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweden avoiding lockdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

Did you even read your own link?

"The study authors refer to a recent Israeli study that reported conflicting results. The Israeli study found that “natural immunity confers longer lasting and stronger protection against infection, symptomatic disease, and hospitalization caused by the Delta variant of SARS-CoV-2 [than] the BNT162b2 two-dose vaccine-induced immunity.”

The VISION researchers say that this variation may be related to differences in the methods of the two studies and restrictions on the timing of vaccinations. They also explain that the Israeli study “only examined vaccinations that had occurred 6 months earlier,” whereas the recent study recruited anyone who had received their vaccine 3–6 months previously."

The study you linked to only followed people who had received their vaccine 3-6 months previously - ie before the vaccine immunity had started to wane. The Israeli study followed people over a longer period of time.

In the real world people aren't getting new vaccination shots every 3 months, so the Israeli study is far, far more relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No idea what you are on about, the study referenced the Israeli study, it did not endorse it.

In the real world, people vaccinated 3-6 months ago encountered the vaccine and show superior protection versus the virus to those with natural immunity.

Your posts imply that natural immunity is superior in every respect to vaccines, that it does not wane and may be lifelong.

That is contradicted by the study I linked to and is without foundation.

I think natural immunity offers some protection, but I think people who have recovered from covid should still be taking a vaccine, though perhaps only a single dose.

Without question, it is far better for a society to encounter the virus with a highly vaccinated population rather than go for a 'herd immunity' strategy of letting it rip through a naive population, because of the additional deaths the latter strategy brings - as can be seen from Sweden's deaths versus its neighbours. More people would die in attaining natural immunity than via vaccination.

If we could isolate the kids and 20-30 somethings of the population from the rest, and let covid rip through them, it could have been done, but not in a multi-generational society.

Which is why I don't think Sweden's approach has any lessons for the rest of the world. That their strategy didn't lead to more deaths was down to:

(a) The voluntary compliance of the Swedish population as can be seen in the reduction in spending and travel during Spring 2020

(b) Being surrounded by low density neighbours such as Norway and Finland which took the virus seriously and buttressed Sweden - so Sweden in some respects had a free ride

(c) Sweden being a primarily low density country with many single person households

(d) Sweden's regional authorities intervening with restrictions when the herd immunity strategy was an obvious failure, even publicly rebuked by the King of Sweden

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,151 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I have already said that I should have made that clearer as it could be misinterpreted. Vaccines greatly reduce the chances of severe illness, ICU care or death should you become infected. Likewise If you are not vaccinated and you become infected, the chances of all three increase greatly.

You do not need studies to show this. The percentages in hospital and ICU beds vaccinated and unvaccinated when compared to the percentage of the population eligible for a vaccine show it clearly. Not just in Ireland but in multiple countries. There is no evidence that natural immunity is life long either as recently emphasised by a high profile case here. Anti-vaccination soccer player Callum Robinson has to date been infected twice within 9 months.

As to the rest of your post. Odysessy06 has addressed that very comprehensively imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Whilst I would fully agree with the first half of your post, and wholeheartedly believe that vaccination is an imperative, I find the second half more questionable. For a start, I can’t help but find the constant quoting of the King of Sweden’s views to be particularly odd — and I’m always inclined to respond to that with a “so what?”. His view is no more compelling than had it come from the mouth of Freddie Ljungberg, any other random Swede, or someone on Boards.

At the end of the day, your post could equally be read as a criticism of the very modelling on which much of the international criticism of the Swedish strategy was based — i.e. models which predicted that even with restrictions they would still have had several tens of thousands more deaths. If the modelling was wrong, the modelling was wrong — if the modelling did not accurately capture circumstantial aspects or take into account the obvious fact that a disease affecting a vulnerable class would effect behavioural changes among that class and those around them, then the modelling was wrong. It then leads to the question of how accurate the modelling was elsewhere in the world, and with that the necessity of the extremity and longevity of measures adopted. It’s all well and good saying “oh the models were wrong because these things happened” — but then how applicable might that be in Ireland etc ?

In the end, the outcome of Sweden’s strategy can hardly be waved about as a joyous success story, but by no means either was it the abject catastrophe it was supposed to be. They had a sizeably elevated mortality rate in 2020 but nothing in the same stratosphere of what we were told to expect — while it remains to be seen come the end of this year whether figures will show that mortality displacement was also at play and that the Covid crisis accelerated mortality in a cohort that might not have much left on the years of life lost (YLL) scale.

I mentioned the King of Sweden as a weather vane of Swedish public opinion in terms of reaction to the earlier strategy.

Re: the modelling, it is hard to separate cause and effect. Maybe one of the reasons people reacted as they did to change behaviour voluntarily ... was the worst case scenario of the models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭brickster69

Europe's country with the harshest restrictions has now overtaken the country that was the least restricted.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

All in all, Sweden fucked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

They currently have fewer deaths per capita than all of, in the EU alone:

Hungary, Czechia, Romania, Croatia, Slovakia

Slovenia, Belgium, Poland, Latvia, Italy

Spain, Portugal, Greece, France, Austria

#16th out of #27 in the EU, while having had the lightest restrictions in the block, would seem to be doing rather well to me. Completely middle of the pack corona-wise, but far less economic, mental and social damage anywhere else is a rather good outcome combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭brickster69

Unreal isn't it, and people think they fucked up.I'm pretty sure there is plenty of countries who would of swapped places with them in a flash if they could.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

It looks like they have totally reverted to their previous restrictions.

Sweden, like some posters on these threads we confident that being infected by COVID would result in immunity from future infections. From a recently posted report on BioRxiv, although not yet peer reviewed, strongly suggests otherwise. The mRNA vaccines give a 35%-45% range of protection from infection by this omicron variant, previous infections give little to none.

Makes me wonder if, in what for Sweden as far as restrictions are concerned is a pretty dramatic u turn, that has anything to do with it.

We could all throw peer-reviewed studies that we don’t really understand at each other, and they would all miss the mark because none of us on here are qualified to understand them. We could all find an epidemiologist to support our point of view but the reality is that there no correlation between the severity of a lockdown and the following result. Sweden, Spain, Ireland, Brazil, Peru or Argentina etc

Lockdowns or vaccines are not the point.The point is what they symbolise - and what they are being used to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Remember at the start people spoke of the fact that there was no cure for the common cold, (many are coronavirus). Maybe there just isn't a reliable cure that will cover all variants. Anyway..... Happy Christmas all.

I never held out a lot of hope there would be, and even less so now when we see the speed at which this virus can mutate. Hopefully this variant is an indicator of where this virus is going. Even if it is much more transmissable it does appear to cause less serious health problems. With a bit of luck it will become like flu where an annual shot of vaccine will be sufficient. Especially when the present vaccines were not even designed to combat delta, but were still doing well against it and the boosters seem to be doing well against omicron. Happy Christmas to yourself and everyone.

I can post you a link to that study if you wish. It`s not that difficult to understand.

You are correct that there is no correlation between the severity of lockdown and the following results if you are comparing countries on a scattergun basis that have little or nothing in common. Where Sweden is concerned that is not the case. We can compare Sweden with it`s neighbours on that basis and see the results that followed. Same as we can with Ireland and our neighbour the U.K.

What lockdowns and vaccines are supposed to sybolise or what they are supposedly being used to build, I have no idea. It sound like a discussion for the conspiracy thread which is that way ➡️➡️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

oh the neighbours thing again - ad nauseam

Charlie with all respect yes there may be countries closer to Sweden that had fewer deaths with harsher restrictions. So I get it from your point of view Sweden could have done better and they didnt so they're bastards.

But that does not invalidate the point being made. Its just your silly little get out deflection trick so that you dont have to engage with the argument being made. You're fooling no one.

Sweden is doing a LOT better than countless countries where their governments live out their little totalitarian wet dream. And they treated their citizens and 'the science' respectfully and not as their playthings.

If you imagine if you followed Sweden's example in high population density countries with major cities, you would get the same results as a low density country buttressed by other low density countries who enforced heavy restrictions... that's cloud cuckoo territory. Sweden took a free ride on their neighbours, had multiple times their deaths and their approach simply doesn't scale. More people live in the Paris metro area than in all of Sweden.

Not being treated as a plaything must be great consolation to the dead Swedes (and their bereaved families) who would still be alive if they were Finns, Norwegians or Danes. The only question is what multiple of deaths their strategy brought, is it triple? Five times? More?

Easy to rant about wet dreams when you don't care how manyb dead people your strategy entails.

Calamari I have no need to attempt to fool anyone. The figures for Swedish deaths when compared to their neighbours, as do comparing our deaths to those of neighbour, prove the point that the initial strategy of both Sweden and the U.K. on restrictions caused needless deaths. If you and some others wish to ignore that, then you and they are fooling nobody other than yourselves.

At least the U.K recognised the folly and changed course, but not before following a strategy has left them with twice our deaths. Sweden has many multiples more deaths compared to their neighbours and only changed their strategy in October 2020 when the local authorities put a stop to the insanity while Tegnell and crew were in denial of Sweden being in the midst of another wave, planning to increase the numbers at public events, opening up nursing homes to visitors and telling the elderly and vulnerable it was safe to mingle in general society.

The king of Sweden publicly declared it a mistake following the strategy. Even Tegnell, one of the main architects, was eventually forced to admit it was immoral. That some here are still attempting to defend it is beyond bizarre.

Lol. Is the asking if Sweden an epidemiologist?

Paris, Rio, Madrid, Buenos Aires - There’s no correlation between a lockdown and the number of cases, deaths etc. They’re self fulfilling prophecies that have no way of being verified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The king of Sweden publicly declared it a mistake following the strategy. 

I often see the pro-restriction posters reference the king of Sweden in the argument as if he has any significance whatsoever. Never understood it.

The Swedes had an average death rate and practically no restrictions.

The over emotional ranting about consoling the relatives of the dead is an incredibly immature route to try to sway an argument.

Thankfully many are seeing past that now, a former NHS consultant put it best, when are we going to have a grown up conversation about deaths and Covid?

Seems you may have hit the Christmas day sherry a bit early bren. If you have, enjoy, but I do not have even the vaguest idea what you are saying.

If you never understood Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden publicly declaring it a mistake following the strategy, try looking on it as Elisabeth II of the U.K. doing the same for context.

Sweden for 2020 did not have average deaths. They had excess deaths over 10% greater than 2019.

If there is one thing we can thank Sweden for it`s showing us the insanity of people who should have know better using their population in an immoral experiment that cost lives.

Thankfully their regional health authorities as soon as they got back the power to make their own decisions, forced the government to sideline those that really should have known better, yet who were still determined to continue with opening up while being in denial that Sweden was in the midst of another wave when all metrics showed the strategy had been a failure.

The old "look over there" has fallen very flat for some time now when it comes to attempting to distract from Sweden and their neighbours.on excess deaths. Same as it has with our deaths when it comes to those of our neighbour who used the same strategy as Sweden initially. It`s the big elephant that has been sitting in the corner of the room for a year now that some are still determined to ignore where restrictions were concerned.

Move on folks. Sweden has, and are now reintroducing restrictions and relying on vaccines and boosters like everywhere else, rather than a naturally acquired herd immunity experiment that unfortunately for their population cost needless lives lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

The king of Sweden. Lol. A man widely regarded by Swedes as a bit of a harmless bumbling eejit is being held up by our Covid obsessives as some kind of Oracle! If the Swedes are being used in some kind of “ immoral experiment” then where is the backlash to it? Why aren’t the Swedes out on the streets protesting about it? It’s because they don’t give a fcuk about Covid like the rest of us. They are simply living their lives while we collectively lose our minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Actually now that I think about the king of Sweden thing maybe we shouldn’t be surprised that people here put so much stock in what he says considering our obsession with the deification of unelected mouthpieces in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

As if our elected one's were any better... LEO sorry, meant LOL

Advertisement