Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

But weren't you delighted with her performance in the libel trial? She might be making a comeback HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...HA!!!

But it isn't Marie that matters is it? What matters is that there is a friend of Daniel's being considered. Now Jim Sheridan wouldn't really like to annoy the glitterati of French cinema without a reason would he? Because that's where the information is coming from. And where did he get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

People are still getting snagged on the simplist of concepts . . .

As a journalist, Bailey needed to "ham up" the extent of his local knowledge

As a suspect, he needed to "play down" his knowledge of what happened

Who wouldn't ???

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

That's my point, before she joined Bailey's legal effort to win a massive damages payout both the judge in the libel trial and the journalists that spoke to her said she was genuine and credible.

After she joins the effort to extract the equivalent of a lottery win from the state she became a laughing stock. Contradicting herself, making statements about gardai that were contradicted by the Bandon Tapes, suddenly remembering seeing important eye witnesses where they had not been etc. Now she says she recognises the face of the man she saw 25 years ago from a photo.

All Marie is now is someone coming back to haunt the Guards. She won't be required if it's determined, as is likely, that this friend of Daniel's was around. But you know that

Was Yvonne Ungerer helpful to the investigation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭flopisit

Alfie Lyons is talking absolute nonsense with his 90% claim that he introduced them. Never in my life have I come across someone who was only partially sure they introduced someone to another person

You are not familiar with witness statements in crime cases? Witnesses regularly talk about how sure they are of the claim they are making. It's not in any way unusual.

Generally, a witness saying they are "at least 90% certain" would tend to indicate the witness is trying to be accurate about their degree of certainty.

Alfie Lyons, at the libel trial in 2003 testified under oath that he was "at least 90 per cent certain" that he had introduced Ms Toscan du Plantier to Mr Bailey one day, in the summer of 1995. He had asked Mr Bailey to help tidy up the garden and Sophie came to his house when Bailey was working in his garden. “Well I thought about this quite often [whether Mr Bailey had met Ms Toscan du Plantier], and when I think about it, I see Sophie Toscan du Plantier coming up to the house as she invariably did when she arrived, just to say ‘Hello’. As best as my memory serves me, she came up to the house and Mr Bailey was working close by in the garden and, as I would at any time if somebody arrived into the house or up to the property, I would always introduce them to the person who was there with me. As far as I can recollect I did introduce him to Sophie Toscan du Plantier,” said Mr Lyons.

He explained it again in the Murder at the Cottage documentary:

"He was here, doing the gardening. I had mentioned to him, I said, "Sophie is down in the house now." And then she came up and I introduced her to Bailey. I said, This is Ian Bailey and he's been doing some gardening work for me, you know. So he came over and shook hands with her and that was it. When it became important, after Sophie was murdered, when I was asked about it, I was, you know, I could remember it, and yet memory is such an elusive thing that you can't always be sure what you're remembering is what happened. I could only say that I remembered it. I was 90 percent sure that that was what happened."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Memory is an elusive thing.

90 percent certain.

I could only say that I rembered it.

Wtf does the mean? If he remembered it why wouldnt you say you were certain? Either you remembered the event or you didnt. You may be unsure about specific details but not that.

What absolute BS.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

Hypothetically if a judge was a practicing homosexual between 1988 and 1993 (when homosexuality was legalised in Ireland) that judge would be breaking the law. If members of AGS knew of his lawbreaking and took no action they would be perverting the course of justice. So the hypothetical judge would be in thrall to AGS and the AGS to him.

And the judge and the guards would be open to blackmail by anybody who knew.

And following that logic, you would of course not believe the "dopehead" Martin Graham when he says the police were trying to bribe him with money and hash to stitch up Ian Bailey...

And you would not believe the "dopehead" Ian Bailey when he says he was never introduced to Sophie in Summer 1995.

The Guards are always going to be 'only doing their best' so it's not their fault when their witnesses aren't completely reliable. Plausible deniability is starting to become visible so are we nearing an end game where the truth is about to come out? It was always possible with things like Alfie's 90% recollection but today it's being put out there that Yvonne Ungerer's testimony might have been a reason for the Guard's being over-confident they had their man, so she is the one at fault for not having Bailey's admission verbatim.(OR had other reasons?)

If STDP's killer couldn't be found initially it was all the fault of John Harbison and an unsatisfactory preservation of evidence because of his absence.

If it turns out that the killer is someone other than who the Guards had been sure it was, Ian Bailey, it will be because of unreliable witnesses who for whatever reason were not truthful with the Guards or were driven by some dislike of Bailey.

Only doing their best. The show must go on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It seems that evidence may be found using new techniques.

'a tool like the M-Vac immediately available helps immensely. It can collect critical DNA evidence from a variety of surfaces at the crime scene, in the evidence processing facility or in the crime lab.”And the firm said that in 2013 — when they were able to use their machines to finally solve the 1995 US murder — “most of the crime labs and law enforcement agencies had no idea the M-Vac even existed, let alone that the system could collect enough DNA from a rock to ­produce a profile”.

They added: “Investigators have used the M-Vac to produce profiles from cement, bricks, all sorts of clothing items, wood, rope and other really difficult surfaces.'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

"If STDP's killer couldn't be found initially it was all the fault of John Harbison and an unsatisfactory preservation of evidence because of his absence."

What evidence was lost? It was a very cold almost freezing night which would preserve DNA. see Marylynne Rynn case.

I'm not saying the evidence was lost, I'm saying there is a received wisdom the investigators were happy to allow the public believe.

If DNA left at the scene were to match with that of someone in France who has never before been in the picture, things will move quickly. I believe that the idea that there was someone with Sophie is credible and it is inconceivable that people in her close circle didn't know about it. If this turns out to be the case, one has to think it must be the reason for the Gardai request to their French counterparts, some people have a lot of explaining to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Irish Rover 91

This is one of the best comments I've seen. The over explaining of things in detail.

I also noticed he answers every question on his narrative. Any new question that is not rehearsed, he will be uncomfortable. That podcast he was on recently with the Cork guy (The craic with Alan or something?) is a great example.

Bailey speaks about his passed as a journalist and says he upset people by simply asking questions. The guy in this podcast tries a few times to ask Bailey questions(not out of order questions) and Bailey always either refused to answer or told him to just continue talking on his narrative. he describes everything in such a way that its literally the same everytime, every single time he talks about the case, he uses the exact same words - does this not sound like its rehearsed?

I don't know.. but someone innocent would more than likely not even want to discuss the case, would be frustrated and say "I don't know" - rather than going into precise details (and always described the same way) is shady with me.

Also, I'm not against him or anything. This is just an honest open observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭nc6000

I guess if he (or anyone else) was giving different answers in different interviews they would be accused of changing their story and people would be focussing on any inconsistencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

90% certain = uncertain. If you're 90% certain that your parachute has been correctly packed, my advice to you is don't jump.

I think it's intriguing how zero alternative leads were ever investigated. Her husband was a scorned lover and involved with a younger woman. He was extremely wealthy and influential with connections in the highest echelons of society in France. He didn't even bother to attend Sophie's post mortem. He married his pregnant wife a short time later.

Given that, in a very high percentage of murders of women, the husband or boyfriend is involved, it is curious that he was not regarded as a real suspect.

Or if you are about to do a skydive and you ask the instructor if all safety precautions have been followed. When he responds that memory is an elusive thing but he's 90 even 95% sure he did-would you jump?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"I think it's intriguing how zero alternative leads were ever investigated. "

The 3 pages torn/cut from jobs book 2 contained 5 files.

Ian Bailey and Jules Thomas were two files, so there are 3 un-named suspect's files missing.

(Bailey was suspect number 7 at that stage.)

It's a fair bet one of these names appeared on each of the 3 pages, so they must have been a viable suspect.

I suspect the name was removed as the local Guards fckd up big time, making a prosecution impossible.

They failed to manage the scene, refused to move the body, closed up shop and went off home

probably leaving a couple of lads sitting in their car out in Dreenane.

Initially they thought she was some random holiday home owner from France

When it turned out who she really was, the news went international,

the sh1t hit the fan and the top brass were involved

The killing was brutal and showed pathological hatred of the victim,

to hate someone that much you must know them.

So the question is ; who in the locality knew Sophie well enough to hate her that much? definitely not Bailey.

Second question what motive could this suspect have? again not Bailey.

It's unlikely to be a love/ sex angle as Sophie was mostly accompanied on her visits.

So that leaves that old Irish boundary/land problem.

The latest French connection story will most likely come to nothing,

just an exercise to let the French think the Gardaí are doing something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 DavidBradley

I've said a fair bit, but I'm not adverse to discussing more, mam. Why did Jules change her initial statements to garda? First Ian was in bed with her all night, then after having spoken with her solicitor she tells them yes, Ian did in fact leave her that night (dec 22). It was because of what her girls had already disclosed. Do you know precisely what her daughter's unknowingly gave away?

I could be wrong although I would have said 'averse' but I'm unsure. Did you consider both and then go ahead with what you did go ahead with?

I'll let you in on a secret; There have never been, in the history of detective stories, more detectives hoping that the real culprit can't be found.

Tell me more secrets!!

What do you think of my question? Anything to add or correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Money talks, Justice walks...

Realistically, the case is only being reviewed as to weather it merits a full cold case investigation. This is understandable, as the resources needed to support such a re-investigation would be costly.

The latest 'new leads', I kinda take with a pinch of salt. Unless there is hard evidence of something that has recently come to light.

All this he say, she say, nonsense, is only covering ass as far as I am concerned. The Irish showing the French they really, really are scrutinizing the case again.

If the Irish detectives did crack the case, and Bailey was vindicated.. How much would that cost the state? And the proceeding backlash of attempting to frame an innocent Irish citizen... That's one serious rabbit hole the Government doesn't want to go down..

Only saying...

It wouldn't cost the state anything. Bailey has no case against the state.

He was arrested twice, lawfully and not prosecuted. There was ample evidence for him to be arrested. A GSOC review found he was arrested with good reason. The gards would have been derelict in their duty had they not arrested him.

I think there is a belief on this sub that if you are innocent and the gards arrest you, that you're entitled to some kind of compensation. Not so. An arrest does not mean someone is guilty. It means there is enough evidence that the gards can detain someone and question them.

All the state has to do is trot out the "confession" witnesses. "Sorry, bud. You're the one giving interviews to the media and running around saying I did it, I did it."

Bailey already sued the newspapers and sued the state and was silly to believe any lawyer who told him he would get a payout.

If you are so convinced that the gardai were trying to frame Bailey..... Why didn't they plant evidence in the house when Bailey and Jules were arrested and in custody? Why didn't they doctor his statement to read "I killed her. It was me. I did it for the LOLz"? If the gards intended to frame him, it could have been done and dusted in 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭bassy

Shows how much you understand. They plant evidence and then the real killer is found or comes forward. Basics.

• Advertisement

There is a clue in Yvonne Ungerer being headline news, suggesting she might have thrown the Guards off track about Bailey and Kealfadda bridge.

Where was Sophie on the Saturday night? No sighting and no phone calls from the house. Was she with her neighbours and the person she'd come to Cork with?

There may already be answers to this in France.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement