Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car flooded

• 25-12-2021 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21 GoodMonson

I'm sure there are a lot of people in Wexford in the same boat today, no pun intended. I had seen the yellow rain warning but didn't expect anywhere near the level of flooding that's occurring around Wexford. Having gone for a few drinks last night I went back to collect the car to find it under water along with many others.

Insurance company is closed for the holidays. I was able to get it towed home but wondering if this is even worth contacting the insurance about. My no claims isn't protected. Car is worth around 3k. Does this fall under own damage?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

How high did the water go? Was the level over the wheels? Bonnet? Roof level?

I'd be inclined to put it in a dry shed, open all its doors, bonnet and boot to give it a chance to dry out. Wait as long as you can before attempting to start it. If it does start, that's half the battle. If it doesn't, then that will require investigation. And that will depend on what the car is worth to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 GoodMonson

• It’s not your own damage, no. It would fall under natural disaster/act of god.

the claims department is likely to be back open from tomorrow at least for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 GoodMonson

Are they likely just to pay the minimum possible amount and then hike up my premium do you think? They are closed until the 28th. Not sure how this works as I've never had to claim before.

Over the dash is not good,,,,lots of electrics living under the dash and in the engine compartment. Still nothing to lose by letting it dry out for a few days, and see what happens when you try to start it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Flood damaged cars are never right afterwards imho. They are written off for a reason as they may be started and run but give continual problems afterwards with corroded electrical systems continually playing up as they short out. Ymmv

In general, when it comes to motor insurance here in Ireland, I'd let sleeping dogs lie, unless it involved a lot of cash ( or of course involved 3rd party's, injury's etc) I have full no claims protection, maximum no points record etc. and yet, I'd be hoping that I'd never have to make a claim. They are a profit making business, and will pay up the absolute minimum they have to, and recoup the maximum they can. I've seen people with 20 or 30 years no claims experience, then unfortunately have a claim. Worst case, they lose all of their no claims bonus , ( they had no bonus protection )and back to square one insurance-wise. Then there are the different levels of protection, where the claimant only loses a percentage of his bonus, or retains the maximum full 100%. It varies.

Advertisement