Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What anime are you watching or manga are you reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭Evade

I'm watching Seirei Gensouki: Spirit Chronicles I like it but I have no idea why this is an isekai instead of just a standard fantasy. The reincarnation aspect has only really been relevant twice and with one of the revelations in the newest episode one of those could have been explained away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

It becomes more relevant in 2-3 episodes when it covers volume 4. The anime appears to be covering the first 5 volumes going by the footage in the OP. Iinm there are currently 19 volumes of the light novel published, 15 have been released in English by J-Novel Club.

The pace of the anime so far has been 3 episodes a volume. Volumes 4 & 5 could probably be done in 2 each.

The light novels are pretty short so 2-3 episodes per volume is not overly compressed. Then you look at Realist Hero and it's adaptation, it's still on the first volume after 8 episodes. The first volume of that is very long though.

I have to wonder if the author made it an isekai because they're popular and only really thought to use that aspect when he got a few LNs out of the way.

The author is a woman. Just be glad this is the ln version, before it diverged from the webnovel the story was apparently pretty sexually violent.

At this stage we've seen the other passengers on the bus that were re-incarnated. The next volume brings in

transferred heroes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Eva Rebuild 3.0+1.0

In the wise words of Homer Jay Simpson

• Advertisement

Did Japan lighten up on licensing and overt references lately? Remake Our Life had Sobakasu by Judy and Mary (Ruroni Kenshin OP) and God Knows from the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya a few episodes ago and this weeks Slime had Street Fighter moves.

EDIT: Come to think of it Tonikawa had the actual Street Fighter V(?) in it a few months ago too.

Eighty Six is back. New status quo is interesting, I'm looking forward to see how it plays out.

If anyone else is still reading this thread Mugen Train is on Crunchyroll. Time to cleanse myself of the awful dub.

And the first 7 episodes of the new season starting at the weekend is the movie chopped up with 1 episode being new content for the arc.

Also TASTY!!!!(repeat at obnoxious volumes in monotone for 3 minutes)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Curious what people have picked up this season, for me so far:

Kyoukai Senki - Dropped after 3 episodes; simply not my cup of tea

Kyuuketsuki Sugu Shinu - Did not make it through first episode

Gyakuten Sekai no Denchi Shoujo - Dropped halfway through second episode

Deep Insanity - The Lost Child - Dropped after third episode

Takt Op. Destiny - Still going strong

Sekai Saikou no Ansatsusha, Isekai Kizoku ni Tensei suru - Love the premise, still watching

Shin no Nakama - A bit meh but still watching; want to see where it will go

Puraore! Pride of Orange - Watched first episode; still need to catch up

Muv-Luv Alternative - Dropped after third episode; liked the original but this one seems to go very different in approach

Sakugan - Like this because of it's style and tone; still a bit undecided

Saihate no Paladin - Loving it

86 - Eighty Six - Continuation though I found the start a bit odd as if there's something missing in between the end of the first half and this second half

Mushoku Tensei - Second half of the season

• Advertisement

Demon Slayer - I've already seen Mugen Train but I'm still watching and will watch the next arc

Takt: Op - Good so far, it could do with a bit more backstory

Komi-san - Netflix subs are really bad for this but as far as I understand that's a limitation with their player, they can't do subs next to signs and such which given Komi's premise is unfortunate

Blue Period - Art sports anime

Platinum End - Deathnote with angels unsurprisingly given who wrote it

Let's Make a Mug - CGDCT

Eighty Six - Needs more Lena in this arc

Faraway Paldin - Interesting so far

World's Greatest Assassin... - A bit of a twist on the standard isekai formula

I'm watching a few other but I don't think they'll last the season

The latest Eighty Six was fantastic. That cliffhanger probably won't be resolved until

we catch up on what Lena's been doing for a few episodes.

Also, Bloody Regina is a little ehhh... unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Binged on Demon Slayer again on Thu/Fri night, watched Mugen Train again but in the episode format with the new Rengoku stuff. I don't think I'll ever get sick of rewatching this show, so so good. And the first episode for the Entertainment Arc was good. Started with feels, gets you pumped up and sets up the arc. Gonna be a good season! I think it's currently the only anime I can't wait and binge once the season is over, I have to watch this weekly.

Re the latest episode of Demon Slayer

Selling Tanjiro, Zenitsu, and Inosuke disguised as girls to brothels was not a direction I was expecting.

Really enjoying the adaptation of Faraway Paladin. The light novels are phenomenal and not going past volume 2 is 100% the right decision as they're pretty long books and volumes 3 & 4 are a two part story.

Post edited by sniper_samurai on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm still following it but I'd really have liked a different start to be honest because the first arc of growing up was really great; next one I'm not sold on to be honest as it's become very generic. Not bad; but it's gone from "Unique world and story" to "standard fantasy with OP main character".

I'm keeping up with it too and I found myself wondering last episode why this is an Isekai instead of a standard fantasy. So far the past life hasn't come up outside of being ahead of the curve as a child. Compared with World's Greatest Assassin where the past life is much more relevant it's a bit odd unless it's a Spirit Chronicles thing where it becomes more prominent later on.

It doesn't come up much after the first volume for Faraway Paladin. A lot of light novels are like that due to being adapted from webnovels on Narou, the amount of Isekai stuff on that website is obscene.

Eighty Six and its cliffhangers.

Made especially worse as the last 2 episodes aren't being broadcast until March as they've run out of their time slot due to the production issues.

• Advertisement

At least it's not a year waiting for a third cour... yet. They must have had enough notice to change the events of this episode given all the ambiguous stuff that happened.

Spearhead members being left in rearguard, what I think was Lena's voice during the artillery barrage, and the self destruct.

It wouldn't have been as dramatic if it was going to be resolved the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭megaten

Anyone have any recommendation for where I can preorder a manga for delivery that's coming out end of February apart from amazon or bookdepository?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭megaten

Don't have what I'm looking for available as preorder but thanks for that. Always good to know another online bookstore with free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Have been watching the dub of Platinum End since it's from the guy who did Death Note but it's not great.

So what have people picked up so far this season?

Personally:

• Tribe Nine - Very silly as concept but for some reason loving it honestly
    • Tensai Ouji no Akaji Kokka Saisei Jutsu - Interesting concept, curious where it's going to go
    • Kenja no Deshi wo Nanoru Kenja - Usual fair in many ways of other series but enjoyable
    • Fantasy Bishoujo Juniku Ojisan to - Love the concept and love the execution; I think this could be a sleeper hit this season
    • Leadale no Daichi nite - Nothing unique but nice enjoyable romp
    • Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou S2 - Season 2 of a series I loved; not exactly the most logical harem series with fantasy world with sniper rifles etc. but hey, logic does not need to apply and the meta plot can become interesting
    • Girls' Frontline - Very close to dropping this to be honest as I'm not finding it very engaging or logical but giving it another episode or two
    • Shuumatsu no Harem - Did not even make it through episode 1
    • Shikkakumon no Saikyou Kenja - Generic "I was reincarnated with God level power" but still watchable
    • Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru - Different approach to a romance but liking it
    • Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki - Continuation of earlier season
    • Kaijin Kaihatsu-bu no Kuroitsu-san - Never made it through episode 1

I find with a lot of animes, I prefer to wait and binge. Have done just that with a few recently:

Seirei Gensouki: Spirit Chronicles - Have only 1 episode left, liking it. It moves at some pace, and can be quite dark at times, but I keep mixing up the main character with the recently watched....

The Worlds Finest Assassin Gets Reincarnated in Another World as an Aristocrat - Definitely up there with one of the longer names this year, but I enjoyed it overall. Look forward to more, and a nice change on the Isekai where the person transported isn't a child/teen for once! Of course, I was mixing that character up with....

Tsukimichi: Moonlit Fantasy - Another Isekai (I do quite like them) and another overall enjoyable show. More typical anime happiness and tropes but again with moments of unexpected violence, just compared to the rest it stands out, and is gone again as if nothing happened.

All 3 quite heavy on the young "love" tones.

Prior to this, I watched:

Battle Game in 5 Seconds - Interesting, and a bit non-sensical at times (to me), but I still enjoyed it.

The Case Study of Vanitas - Really enjoyed this, but it could be because it's the same guys that voice Tanjiro and Zoro.

Brynhildr in the Darkness - Can't actually remember much from this, and I only watched it a few weeks back. I remember enjoying it...

Blast of Tempest - Enjoyed this one too, some nice twists and a bit more adult that the rest.

Record of Grancrest War - Another one I can't quite recall and had only watched recently, but I watched all 24 episodes so I must have enjoyed it.

Once all the episodes are out, I intend to binge:

• The Strongest Sage with Weakest Crest
    • Eighty-Six
    • In the Land of the Leadale
    • The Irregular at Magic Highschool
    • Orient

Couldn't warm to Tokyo Revengers.

Well, that's Demon Slayer over for another while, but the next arc's anime adaptation was just announced. I'm still enjoying it, I thought it might get a bit stale but hasn't so far. The only problem with this arc was no Shinobu. I had completely forgotten about the deal Tanjiro made with the Doctor until he pulled out the syringe thing.

Quite forum is quiet!

More binging done:

In the Land of Leadale - Not sure what I was expecting with this, but very relaxed overpowered person just having a life. Grand and easy to watch.

86 - Pretty good. Leans a bit too on the sad side, but not as bad as the most recent season of AoT.

Orient - I didn't know much about this but pleasantly surprised. One I'm gonna keep an eye on.

I then binged Hunter x Hunter again. What a show. Having rewatched it again, it's back on top with Demon Slayer just below it. The build up to the last 2 big fights and then the actual fights living up to and beyond what you expect... Amazing show. A must watch.

The Saints Magic Power is Omnipotent - Another OP anime, but found it interesting all the same. A light anime.

Have got through 2 seasons of Log Horizon. Thought it was a weak Sword Art Online, but it came into its own and has a interesting overarching story. Hopefully it goes somewhere good.

Lord Marksman and Vanadis - Another one I wasn't sure on what to expect, but pretty good overall. Nothing special, but worth a watch.

Grimgar, Ashes and Illusions - Another Isekai but they don't remember their past lives. A bit grim, and tries to force a sad moment and feelings for characters you barely know, but starts to get good about halfway through. Looks like they're in for the long haul considering how little levelled up they were at the end.

Bofuri: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll max out my Defense - Or something like that, it's like a competition for longest name on Crunchyroll at the moment! But, I liked it. Light hearted, again OP but funny at times. Left as slackjawed as the characters at times!

Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies moved into a start town - This is a new favourite of mine. Usual overpowered kid thinks he's underpowered, but I'm loving the humour in this. A bit shouty, but understandable. Half way through and loving it.

Oh, and yeah, Demon Slayer new season was awesome. Once it got going it just didn't let up. Stunning art, sound and design as expected, really gets your blood pumping! Over too quick...

• Advertisement

You will find "Suppose a Kid..." come back once you finished it as there's a significant plot part you're getting close to without going into spoilers.

Advertisement