Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,636 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That Oceanus is a beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Thanks 😊 it's the only watch I've worn since I got it in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,636 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did you import it?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Yeah I got it from Sakura watches in Japan, couldn't find anyone in the EU selling them, good service from them but they only send by DHL so you will be paying import fees, still well worth the money though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You have mentioned before buying a spare or donor watch for watches you want to keep long term.

There's a bit of a knack/ game of chance to buying vintage watches online. I did well with the dead lip nautic ski , sourcing a working movement and then having it exchanged. I might do more of that.

Yeah, I would say it's a given with early electronic stuff alright NJ. Though it was significantly easier to do when I was actively collecting that period. The LIP movement and spares are still easy to get and reasonably priced, GP 350 quartz stuff has all but dried up and when it comes up is a lot more pricey. The days when I was buying mine (well)for under 200 quid a pop are long gone and that's not that long ago. At one point I had six of the things and a couple of spare circuits. I gave a couple away as projects for others, or to dig out forum guys whose movements were on the blink. Thinking ah sure they seem to be easy to get... Doh! 🙂

Theres a book I'm trying to find at the moment.

Sadly there are very few books about that time period in horology, though I gather there are a couple in French. The Swiss brands for the most part don't want to talk about it and the modern market is based on mechanical soul and all that, so I doubt they'd sell anyway. There's still quite a bit to be discovered around that period. The GP350 movements were only supposed to have been fitted to four brands and Carltonbrowne late of this parish and myself found another two. The Tron dial ones were believed to be promotional items only and none were left in the wild and yet... Stiil, only five blue and three gold versions have surfaced since.

On topic and on topic. 😁

Stuck in mad traffic earlier:

That one came from Argentina of all places. All the rest I got save for one Spanish example came from France. That's a trick I found for this particular period; look on local French and Italian ebay sites. Spanish too. They seemed to have been a lot more daring style wise than the English speaking world, which tended and tends to be much more conservative on such matters.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Thanks again Wibbs, I found the thread on WUS you contributed to on the GP350/Tron today.

Incidentally,Reeling in the Years tonight was from 1973, IRA helicopter prison break, submarine rescue off cork and of course, Gilbert O'Sullivan. I'll watch next week's wearing my 74 accutron.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bren_C

This is the daily wearer this week, strap is really comfortable

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thanks again Wibbs, I found the thread on WUS you contributed to on the GP350/Tron today.

Funny enough the "Tron dial" name was a bet I had with a WUS member that I could make that stick as the name for the model. I didn't think it would stick and neither did he but it seems to. Even Hodinkee used it. 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

We are in the hands of a master. Joe Duffy had self published authors on today. Would you consider knocking out an ebook during the coming lockdown?

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain"

Plus we wouldn't be clogging up the thread with bleeding edge from the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Following up on my post last Saturday about going out for dinner and drinks; I'm now waiting for the results of a PCR test to see if I will be spending Christmas alone!

• Advertisement

I bloody love Sinn. I think I may have mentioned that before. 😁 Good luck with the pox test!🤞

Another day, another traffic jam. Going from the Future(tm) to back to the egg.

1916 half hunter Trench watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭micks_address

Ordered a titanium bracelet and bezel from AliExpress for my gshock. Having owner the original it's pretty decent. Took about 6 weeks

Post edited by Wibbs on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Citizen eco-drive diver BN0150 61e

Slow shutter speed responsible for the ghost second hand.

Showing clasp with ratchet adjustment.

As a couple of people have expressed interest in buying this model I will do a mini-review.

Comfortable on the wrist and doesn't wear as big as the Casio Duro which I used to have. More like a 42mm than its 44.

I've 7.25 inch wrists and I removed four links so as to get it tight and use the on-the-fly adjustment system to get it fitting correctly.

One word of warning if you buy it on the bracelet and DIY the link removal, they're a peculiar type of pin and collar unlike what you will see in most YT instruction videos like the Long Island Watch one which is a Seiko type P&C. With this one the collar fits in the inner link. I spent over an hour figuring why it wasn't fitting in the smaller outer link hole. The pins are uniform width unlike the Seiko equivalent.

Lume looks pretty good.

JustBlueFish has a good YT video about the bracelet version.

I bought mine on Ebay from a retailer in Italy who was having a 10% off sale. Brand new with tags (no stickers) and stamped international warranty card. €222 incl. postage of €15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

It's the old favorite today, for the day that's in it.

However your celebrate, or whoever with, all the best of the season to you and yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

The sub coming close to its natural habitat on the west coast of Ireland today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭This is it

Admiring my Starlight while watching Home Alone :)

Merry Christmas lads and ladies!

Christmas in Citizenland.

Watch related gift from under the tree. A leather watch roll, it certainly smells artisan. I mislaid a watch for a couple of months in a pocket of a suit case, this such put an end to such first world problems.

Happy Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

New Christmas shoes for the Sub. It'll look will on the Speedy too I reckon.

Greetings from the Eco Beach on the west coast.

• Advertisement

A nice leather watch roll is going to be my next purchase.

BTW my wife's wearing my black resin €16 Casio analogue while she waits (2 weeks) for Wiers to change the battery on her Berling, calling Blanchy, Blanchy ! He's got a new video up on YT but as usual he waits a few days before announcing it here???? 🚴

She also likes my new Citizen diver, don't know if that's a plus or a minus.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Sure why not..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Thanks but she likes it on me not something she'd go for herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Happy Christmas all. Quiet watch year for me, nice to get a chance to wear the ‘good watch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭redlead

Nice, they're great watches. My wife has knicked my Tangente recently which hasn't actually bothered me that much as it was getting no wrist time and now I get to see it everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Still enjoying wearing my latest addition to the collection while on a walk earlier

Seiko Bell-Matic 4006-7019 21 Jewels from October 1967.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭micks_address

Wearing the speedy on Erika's original since it arrived pretty much every day

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

The good news is that my test result came back negative, so I have been celebrating by eating my body weight in Cadbury Roses!

Stowa Ikarus on the wrist.

• Advertisement

Continuing the theme.

Advertisement