Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to talk to that family member...

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I spent and entire Christmas day with the mother and father inlaw. Both are antivaxx. They're the worst kind because the evidence they refer to is always the crazy blog type websites that post half truths out of context truths and complete lies.

A few months ago I did snap and lost the head when they were going at it, I regretted it somewhat and did apologise for the choice of words I used after all they're the wife's parents but ultimately the upside is, we agreed never to discuss the subject again. So we managed to get through the day and not discuss why there aren't microchips in vaccines and even if there were your phone already knows absolutely everything about what you do and where you do it. And leo varadker didn't start covid so we would have a cashless society

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So we managed to get through the day and not discuss why there aren't microchips in vaccines and even if there were your phone already knows absolutely everything about what you do and where you do it.

That bit always makes me laugh too. "I've a great conspiracy theory, I'm going to put it up on facebook/twitter/whatsapp/reddit, from my phone". If actual conspiracies* of the kind they buy into were happening and they're not, that would be like Martin Luthor asking the pope to use the vatican printing presses to promote the Reformation. The only person I actually know like this is welded to their phone and has actually said to me "they're listening to our phone conversations" while standing beside an Alexa in their kitchen that plugs their existential hole by constantly buying tat off Amazon. If you know someone like that, for the craic ask to download their location history and show it to them... Now it could reinforce their paranoia, but they won't give up their phones.

For some, or at least that individual I know I think conspiracy theories are a comfort of sorts in the face of an ever changing world that they're happy to buy into, even though they know the theories are bull. Kinda like some of the religious who seek the same comfort. This pox has hightened that lack of comfort in a previously "safe world". It's screwed up long held comfortable routines and for many it's also really hit their livelihoods and their family lives.

*conspiracies can and do happen of course, but they're nearly always small scale and only stay hidden for very short periods of time, if they stay hidden at all. Take planned obsolescence. One conspiracy was to do with lightbulbs(back in the 1920's IIRC?). Sales were down for all the companies because lightbulbs were lasting too long. So a group of lightbulb producers from America and Europe got together and behind closed doors decided a "gentleman's agreement" where they'd all agree to look into making lightbulbs that didn't last as long. And it worked. They did and sales went up. However the gentleman's agreement didn't last long and it was all over within a few years and this was a simple "conspiracy". Plus many of the items we use every day have planned obsolescence built in and we know it, the manufacturers are hardly hiding this from us, but it doesn't matter to the vast majority of people who keep buying them. A fine balance of economics, marketing and the basic human need for novelty is all that's required. No conspiracy involved.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

maybe you should have encouraged the christmas day arguments, it could have meant permanent silence from them, and no interaction, i couldnt be dealing with that sh1t!

I keep flagging your low quality posts, largely based on ad hominem, to no avail. I’ll have to up the game to feedback if nothing is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

Have to say I agree with this. Vaccinated myself, and just got booster (still feel awful 4 days on).

I think the problem is the vaccines were oversold as the silver bullet to end it all.

I certainly now don't believe the efficacy rates are where they claimed them to be.

All that said they are helping. Numbers in hospital & ICU for vaccined vs unvaccinated are similar. With approx 10% unvaccinated (9 :1) the hospitalisation rate is about 1 /9th for vaccinated person vs unvaccinated.

The flu vaccine isn't any more than 60% effective for a similar reason that the covid ones are probably the same. The virus changes. But as you pointed out the benefits are with serious illness hospitilations and deaths.

The problem however is that with so many people vaccinated and hospital figures somewhat stable, the social benefits doesn't seem to be there. People are getting worn out with the measures and I think some are losing heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes and people are subtly encouraged to forget about ICU expansion targets, which have been missed by a large gap for this year, and take out their frustration on any unvaccinated person they can identify, including their own husband/wife and family.

Covid is rare to the point of being undetectable against the background of seasonal influenza. All or most of the measures should be discontinued now.

As for ICUs, expand them or don't. But if you won't expand them stop pretending they are more important than life itself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I certainly now don't believe the efficacy rates are where they claimed them to be.

They've been extremely effective at lowering the risks of serious illness and death. They've been less than hoped when it came to transmission and long term protection. Still more consistent and far better than catching covid. Now some do seem to get longer protection after infection, but it's not consistent which is a problem and you have to catch and recover from it which is the bigger problem, especially for the old and the chronically unwell. This goes quadruple for the vulnerable demographics. Serious illness and death fell off a cliff in the very old for example. If in another world we'd had vaccines in January 2020 odds are extremely high at least half of those who died in this pox wouldn't have.

The flu viruses and vaccines are not a good comparison. Coronaviruses are a very different beast, hence why there were no human vaccines against them before this. There is one for animals, in farm chickens IIRC? But it's not particularly effective. Mutations are less of an issue as they mutate more slowly than influenza viruses. One of their problems is in most cases our immune system memory doesn't last long with coronaviruses. Measles at the other extreme is basically catch it, or get vaccinated and you're immune for life. Chicken pox would be similar. Tetanus is more like a decade of immunity. With flu though antibodies drop after infection or vaccine immune memory is much longer. EG the Russian flu of the late 70's was pretty much identical to the Korean flu twenty years previously* and those who were old enough to be exposed to that were immune to the 70's one. That flu pandemic was mostly concentrated in the young of the time.

I'd be willing to bet that by mid 2022 we'll have a vaccine protocol that will mimic the super immunity of those who have recovered from covid and been vaccinated.

*Now that's a conspiracy theory that could actually have some legs. Namely that it's unlikely that the two viruses were so identical two decades apart in a virus that mutates annually that there's a theory among some scientists that it could have leaked from a lab researching vaccines, likely in Russia where it was first reported.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

You are responding to a comment of mine in which I was being ambiguous.

Catching up with regular Flu variants does not equate to responding adequately to either Covid 19 or its varients. Everyone knows we do not yet have an adequate vaccine for any Covid 19 strain in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Well no. The existing vaccines were developed for the early strains. They work great in reducing infection for those strains. They will need to be continuously updated (like the flu vaccine) for new strains.

• Advertisement

I could suggest he reads too much Mein Kampf (if we are making up backstories for each other).

You do that. Apologies for pointing out that you are talking (writing?) out of your hole, but if you look at what you wrote you might get an idea why. The Feedback folks might be able to help you if you still can't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Wibbs, you are fast becoming my favourite poster on Covid. You seem to have a very balanced and informed view of it all.

Your point above has always bothered me...in a truly Columbo way...I have always struggled with it and I am very much pro vaccine. They have been researching the technology for 20+ years but why wasn't a single product based on mRNA technology ever fully licensed for human use. I think I will always have a niggling doubt and only time will prove me wrong...I hope.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

They have been researching the technology for 20+ years but why wasn't a single product based on mRNA technology ever fully licensed for human use.

Personal opinion? There was a huge amount of talk within the industry that it was going to be a gamechanger, a magic bullet for all sorts of ailments. The money flowed in from investors on the back of it. However the tech was tricky. It was either hard to apply it, or when it was applied in higher doses required in some ailments the side effects were too risky, or it just didn't work very well(at least one cancer therapy was stopped because of lack of efficacy).

Then we had vaccines. Vaccines looked good because of the smaller doses involved and with less risk and it would be more much likely to work. Problem is, or was, vaccine production was at the budget end of the pharma biz. There wasn't any money in it, or at least not enough to throw too many resources at it. When SARS(and MERS) happened loads of resources were thrown at it and a lot of it was fired at possible vaccines, but then when SARS didn't go all global pandemic and essentially went away those resources dried up and research pretty much ground to a halt. Research into mRNA vaccines continued but at a low level. Viral vector vaccines were similar enough. Now they have a longer real world history but even there it was only a handful of viral vector vaccines that had been approved before covid.

Then Covid happened. We needed vaccines and as quickly as possible. Huge amounts of cash and brains were thrown at the problem and mRNA tech was a large recipient of that across a few companies, which sped up existing research that had been in the slow lane. If covid hadn't happened I suspect there would have been mRNA vaccines, but they would have taken much longer to get to market. When humanity has a need and resources are thrown at it, the need tends to get filled and in short order. Most problems are essentially engineering problems. Look what happens in war. At the start of WW2 we had mostly 20's tech in aircraft with a few new idea monoplane stressed skin aircraft, by the end we had jet fighters and bombers and guided missiles and rockets and atom bombs.

As for doubts about mRNA tech. I had a lot more doubts when they were first rolled out, but those doubts have receded since. Could they be problematic in the longer term? Unlikely at this stage, or I haven't read any evidence of that. I would say where they might have a problem is by being so specific in how they get an immune response because they focus on the spike protein in the case of covid. If the virus mutates around that then good luck. Kinda like if you instruct bouncers in a club to refuse entry to those who wear red socks because you've determined they're always scumbags. Great until the scumbags cop this and start wearing black socks. However if you give the same bouncers a list of traits that determine scumbags, them changing their socks won't affect the bouncer's ability to stop them coming in. TBH I'd also be a little wary about boosters every few months because of any possible cumulative effect.

You said we don't have a good vaccine for any strain. That's incorrect.

Source: https://pharmaceutical-journal.com/article/feature/everything-you-need-to-know-about-covid-19-vaccines

"Observational data from the vaccine roll-out in Qatar, where 265,410 people have received two doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, published in a letter to The New England Journal of Medicine on 5 May 2021, suggest vaccine efficacy is 89.5% (95% CI 85.9–92.3) at 14 or more days after the second dose. Vaccine efficacy against severe, critical, or fatal disease caused by either Alpha or Beta was high at 97.4%"

• Registered Users Posts: 15 john martin123

Such a shame such information has to be constantly shown to those who deny the effectiveness of the ongoing vaccination role out

I completely agree that those figures are accurate and are within the range of an effective vaccine.

• Advertisement

The vaccines show strong protection against serious illness and death with all the variants so far. The apparent mildness of omricon could well be down to the vaccines too and/or natural community resistance in a young population like South Africa. Yeah we've more breakthrough infections because of a lackof neutralising antibodies, but immune memory seems to be still running very strong. I'd be willing to bet omricon might not be nearly so mild in an unvaccinated(or unexposed) population. Not as bad as delta, but not a headcold either.

Though I'd read your links more thoroughly:

mRNA vaccines are made using a new technology...

Or to quote the CDC:

"mRNA Vaccines Are Newly Available to the Public But Have Been Studied for Decades

Researchers have been studying and working with mRNA vaccines for decades. Interest has grown in these vaccines because they can be developed in a laboratory using readily available materials. This means vaccines can be developed and produced in large quantities faster than with other methods for making vaccines."

Who to trust - a random anonymous poster on the internet, or the Centre for Disease Control?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/mrna.html

Great. It would be nice if the conversation could be based on facts rather than feelings.

I agree with the CDC, though it does depend on how these things are worded.

The antivax crowd might(and often do) say: mRNA are experimental vaccines that were rushed into production! And they'd be sort of right. Sort of.

Your previous link aiming to quell antivax stuff came out with: mRNA vaccines are made using a new technology. And funny enough that's less sort of correct than the antivaxxer stuff.

I would say: mRNA vaccines are indeed newly licenced for human use for the first time, after a couple of decades of research where they weren't getting much traction for commercial and technological reasons until covid 19 came along and that has brought them to the fore and real world studies are showing strong efficacy against serious illness and death and they have saved many lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

There is a lot of “my opinions” and people “just asking questions” going on there.

In unrelated news I had a slice of Christmas cake last night, but I still want to have it too. 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

So you do know more than the CDC. Do you think they should send you their public statements for proof-reading before release?

• Advertisement

You seem to have a worrying inability to read basic English: Which part of this do you have difficulty comprehending? "I agree with the CDC". I even expanded on that agreement with my last paragraph. It was your previous link I reckoned needed work. If I had typed: mRNA vaccines are made using a new technology you'd have had another fit of misplaced pique, yet you used the link to back up your position.

It seems like you're just another one of those who reads what they want to read and imagines the rest to back up an existing opinion.

What I see with Anti vaxxers is they're usually anti everything, They don't believe in covid much of the time.

The problem is they use, part truths, complete lied and then in other instances quotes completely out of context.

They can make a claim, without any evidence. They use links to websites as proof.. one tard used a link to a site called tigerpoop or tigerdroppings yesterday to backup the amount of people killed by the vaccine. A quick read shoes suicide was the cause in some. But bi evidence if vaccine deaths.

They show a complete inability to do any sort of math. ..the high percentage of non vaxxers taking up ventilation machines goes beyond them completly

They will focus their attention on one or 2 renegade professionals with tenious links to the direct field relevant to know about vaccines and virology

I think, mainly, Irish peoe have been great, but there's quite a few braindead spastics out there too.

I've a handful in our familial group.

Ask yourself why covid needs to be "believed in" in the first place. Because it is undetectably rare by personal experience.

I still don't know a single person who's been hospitalised with covid.

It's not a killer plague, it's akin to a severe outbreak of seasonal influenza and only a tiny and never-expanding ICU system supposedly serves as a fig leaf of rationalisation for all of the crazy and extreme restrictions and emotional manipulations since Jan 2020.

I know 3 dead from it. One 35 year old, a 51 year old and her mother

Seasonal influenza my **** hole

Cop on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I was at the funeral of my uncle last week, he died directly from covid. His wife was in ICU with it at the same time as him but luckily she pulled through

Neither of them were vaccinated

• Advertisement

I personally know six dead from covid. The youngest was 59. I also heard of a couple of younger people(40's) who died from it early in the pandemic, but I don't know them personally. I know one person in their 30's that was in hospital for weeks because of covid and an inability to keep O2 levels up in the blood and they're still fúcked months later with a measurable decline in lung function because of scarring. They were otherwise fit and healthy. Carrying no extra weight either. I know a fair few who were wrecked by it, but didn't need to go to hospital.

severe outbreak of seasonal influenza

Actually that part isn't too daft. Problem is a particularly vicious strain of seasonal flu would be equally bad, but we'd almost certainly lockdown and all the rest for that too. If anything we'd lockdown harder as vicious strains of flu are more likely to kill the young and those in the prime of life.

Not in my recollection have we had a seasonal case of influenza that has had such an adverse effect on the global human population

It has to be remembered, that to compare the worst outbreak of influenza is not to be compared like with like with covid 19 becaue at no point have we ever locked down for influenza that I can recall

Had we not taken the measures that were taken last year and this, its unquestionable that there would have been far higher deaths.

Had covid 19 being like omicron from the start, yes perhaps the point would be valid as so far, the hospital stats seem to reflect a significantly less severe strain

"I personally don't know anyone who died, therefore this is objectively nonsense."

The Herman Cain Award subreddit is full of people who think (well, thought) like this.

Right well if I do die from covid I'll arrange for someone to notify boards. If wouldn't be fair for me to deprive people of ironic pleasure at my death given how critical I've been of the extreme political response...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

My observation of anti vaxxers is that alot of them live with a lot of hidden fears. A woman I know is afraid of the vaccine itself, afraid of the actual needle and she’s afraid of catching covid and becoming very ill too. That’s a lot of terror going on right there.

Afraid of the needle is common and understandable. But to justify that she bought totally into the online “hasn’t been tested” etc world and can’t get away from that.

Just to clarify, I don't wish you any ill fortune at all. I'm just pointing out that some folks won't know anyone who became seriously ill with COVID - that's the nature of randomness. If you throw a hundred marbles into a room, they won't be evenly spread, they will be in clusters. If you happen to be near a cluster, you see the COVID deaths. If you are not, you are relying on news reports etc. If you rely on only what you see, you will only have a fraction of the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

That page is full of absolute creeps who are positively gleeful about people dying, not sure it's the greatest buttress for your argument.

• Advertisement

Not in my recollection have we had a seasonal case of influenza that has had such an adverse effect on the global human population

It has to be remembered, that to compare the worst outbreak of influenza is not to be compared like with like with covid 19 becaue at no point have we ever locked down for influenza that I can recall

Not in our lifetimes, but seasonal outbreaks of "severe" flu as the other poster put it could/would indeed be comparable if not worse. The 1890 flu pandemic killed over a million people. The real doozy was in 1918 which killed between at lowest estimates 20 million, at highest nearly 100 million people. And bear in mind in 1918 the world population was around 1.8 billlion rather than the nearly 8 billlion of today. Ramp that up to today's numbers and that would be at least 60 million dead already and as high as over 300 million. And that killed every demographic, but was worst in those between 18-40*. The later Asian flu of the 50's killed around 2-4 milllion, ditto for the Hong Kong flu of the late 60's. That's before a total fcuker like smallpox that killed nigh on 300 million men women and children in the 20th century alone. Them's pretty adverse numbers. If a pathogen with the same MO and virulence of Spanish flu emerged next year it would make covid 19 look like a bit of a sniffle. If a pathogen like smallpox emerged again it would truly be the stuff of nightmares. And you'd still have the deniers and the anti vaxxers and the "natural health" fcukwits.

*There were lockdowns and mask mandates etc in 1918, and the usual nutters trying to circumvent them. They didn't need social media to do it. 😁 Then again lockdowns have been in play in pandemics for many centuries. The city state of Venice was about the first to package all the prophylactic measures into one when the plague hit. They brought in lockdowns, border control, social distancing, quarantine, even health "passports". Fever hospitals too, something IMHO we should have learned from.

@Wibbs 'There were lockdowns and mask mandates etc in 1918'

For a few weeks in a handful of US cities and less severe than our lockdowns.

The Allied curfew of Germany or the Nazi lockdown of France 1940-42 are closer parallels to 2020-21.

What's your source re: Venice? ( a single city-state)

'If a pathogen with the same MO and virulence of Spanish flu emerged next year it would make covid 19 look like a bit of a sniffle. If a pathogen like smallpox emerged again it would truly be the stuff of nightmares. And you'd still have the deniers and the anti vaxxers and the "natural health" fcukwits.'

It already looks like a bit of sniffle now, that's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

So often in my experience are the people looking for advice on "how to speak with "that" person" are the people you want to avoid.

I don't need advice. I have people with strong opinions on lots of things I disagree with yet I just sit happily in the middle. I don't rile anyone up. I don't try and change their opinion. I simply nod and change subject.

Few months ago we had a family event. I knew it could get edgy. One member is a real do gooder and the other is a bit of an edgy dodgy dude.

Dodgy dude was riling up do gooder and do gooder was trying to win an argument.

We came home and do gooders mam (who doesn't like dodgy dude) was saying that do gooder was well able give it to him! I said "there were no winners". There wasn't. Everybody was on edge during these two arguing and made everyone uncomfortable. Do gooder should have just nodded the head when dodgy dude tried to rile them up. But they took the bait and dodgy dude and do gooder equally ruined the mood.

Nope. The average seasonal flu kills about 250-500,000 people, this has already killed over five million. Even if you halved that number it would be way more dangerous than seasonal flu. It's around ten times more deadly. Omicron is looking more like a bad headcold for most, but it's only in play for about a month and after a majority have been vaccinated and will have immune system memory response to it. Is it a pandemic like 1918? Nope, but then again we aren't as accpeting of deaths when they can be avoided as people were more likely to be in the past. For a start the average person lost a brother or sister in childhood and there was a world war on at the time and a host of other diseases could carry you off and there were many more religious people which can take the sting out of things for many, so although people grieved like we always do we were more "immune" to death as it was more in play in most lives.

Tha Nazi lockdown? Ah jaysus. Shark jumped.

The Italian city states were very gung ho when the black death showed up. Venice is particular got antsy as she was an island, she had no walls like other city states so the borders were more porous and it was one of the busiest ports on the planet and one of the most powerful states in Europe with lots of people coming and going. Not a great mix. Whereas an earlier "quarantine" was innovated just across the Med in Croatia, it was for thirty days, the Venetians noticed this wasn't working so went for forty days, hence "quarantine", forty days in the Venetian dialect of a italian; quarantena. They also set up a health commission(four blokes IIRC) who orchestrated the response, inclduing setting up a quarantine on one of the nearby islands and a fever hospital on same to contain the outbreaks.

Other city states like Genoa and Florence got in on the act. The latter instituting lockdowns on the population, an idea that spread. This kinda thing has a long history, because people saw that these measures worked.

Ah. 40 days quarantine. I thought it might have been something like that. 1918 was a few weeks.

I mention WWII because the scale and length is a lot closer. Not calling lockdowners Nazis haha

So really there is no reasonable historical parallel because covid is being treated as 10x worse than the worst plagues in history when it's just another Hong Kong flu.

Martin said recently he could see restrictions going out to mid-decade...

Meanwhile you can take 3 doses of a vaccine in one calendar year and you're still not "safe" to be in the same room as an unvaccinated person or move around a lot in general?

Truly a miracle of science.

It's not just another 'flu - that's just another talking point from the US far right. We have 'just another flu' (actually several of them) every year. Why are people still coming out with these lies at this stage? Ignorance is no excuse.

Having said that, how many people did the Spanish Flu kill back in the day? 20-50 million people? Like, 2% of the entire global population?

You seem to have some thoughts on how to create a vaccine that adapts to a changing virus - why haven't you shared those with the top minds in this field? Your inaction is costing lives.

I didn't say it was just another flu, I said it was another Hong Kong flu (which killed millions) and that is my own opinion - I didn't glean it from a yank web site/Twitter account.

Advertisement