Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Also might explain why Robbo went in a bit forceful later and got sent off as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Thank ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Some insane goals there.

Oddly, the two Sturridge strikes really stand out. The one in the UEFA Cup final really deserved to be the winner rather than a footnote in a disappointing defeat. His strike against Chelsea was sensational.

I was waiting for someone to run such a story on Christmas Day, but I think it will be Liverpool themselves who say when it's done, I don't think anyone was in work mode today, no one at the table, other than the dinner table 😋

Of course you are probably right, but for the deal makers in some global companies, and for some religions, Christmas Day is a day like any other. So I hope the reports are true.

• Advertisement

Salah is like '' Merry Christmas'' although he knows the hate and threats he'll receive after his Christmas photo last year. Fair play to him for sticking to his guns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

The man in red left this for me today ...

My first thought was where's Mo?

Not journos close to the action are on it. I'll assume bs until that changes.

Salah is May? Holding the Premier League Trophy ....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Very true. As a Muslim he knows the fall-out but he's the bigger man for showing his love and appreciation for the custom of the land where he works and resides. Total respect.

• Advertisement

Lukaku is a strange one, 350m of transfer fees, more than anyone ever, yet has averaged 9 goals a season for all the seasons he has played in Premier League, I mean United knew he was no good, yet Chelsea threw 100m at Inter to get him, only for him to score 3 goals so far.

To think we could have two Jota's and a Suarez for that money. I'm glad we have people with common sense at Liverpool when it comes to buying players. Roll on Jan, although Elliott's return could be it. He looks fully recovered, you don't do the things he's doing unless he was, just a matter of fitness now. Jones, VVD, and Fab back too, things looking up.

I haven't opened it so I couldn't tell you, but I thought it strange that the club's most marketable player isn't on the cover of the calendar and both Mane and Firmino are.

But for Dalglish wanting Andy Carroll, Liverpool would have signed Lukaku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Lukaku always seemed destined for Chelsea back then though... I recall reading that he told his agent to turn down other offers at the time, as he absolutely wanted Chelsea. Idolised Drogba, and was desperate to follow in his footsteps.

As per Toby's post, I think it's a bit unfair to look at average goalscoring across his time in the league - he's excellent if you use him right, he's not if you don't. Poorer returns at times for Utd, but with Everton he hit the same numbers he was getting with Inter, ~25 premier league goals the season before Utd bought him.

I'd expect a bit of a learning curve with Tuchel, but think he'll work out well for them once they figure each other out. Phenomenal player, and another one I'm surprised City didn't jump in and snap up - especially with how brilliant his partnership with De Bruyne is at international level.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Chelsea sign another striker in the summer and offload Lukaku.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Yes they went all out for Haaland last summer before settling on Lukaku. I thought he was an expensive stop gap myself. If they can land Haaland they'll move him on.

A lot of strange dealings, Barca need evaluating ,

Man City are like, '' can we get back the 20m for this flop Torres??''

Barca are like '' we'll open with a bid of 55m, then rise if we need too''

Man City are like '' OMG they bid 55m, take it !! lolz''

Torres hasnt been a flop at all, Hes been really good and is 21

16 goals in 43 games a lot are as subs

12 goals in 22 games for Spain in the same period

He's a really good young player

Maybe so, but he only just arrived at City last year, and they are in desperate need for a striker, so it's strange that Pep sees him as saleable, and that his value increased so much, 55m for a 21 year old, I still think it's only Barca that would pay it. They really are broke in so many way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

His value didn’t increase Toby, City were just able to sign him for a pittance because of his contract situation. I’d even go as far as saying Barca are getting a great deal at 55 million. He’s a super young player and any time I’ve seen him play for Spain he’s been consistently one of the best players on the pitch.

He’s definitely the second best F. Torres I can think of over the past 14 years. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Salah, Mane and Keita will now be able to feature in Tuesday's Premier League visit to Leicester City and the trip to fellow title challengers Chelsea on Sunday.

The three players will definitely be missing for both legs of the Carabao Cup semi-final against Arsenal, the FA Cup third round clash at home to Shrewsbury Town and the Premier League visit of Brentford.

Any further absence - from the Premier League game at Crystal Palace and a possible FA Cup fourth round tie - would depend on how far the players progress in the Africa Cup on Nations, with Salah's Egypt and Mane's Senegal among the favourites to win the competition, the final of which takes place on February 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Absolutely, phenomenal player with great goalscoring record.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Pretty depressing that Klopps Liverpool are dealing with a financially doped juggernaut in City, just terrible timing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

“Desperate need of a strike “ you think ??😂

Chelsea only showed interest in Lukaku in the summer of 2011. Damien Comolli had presented Lukaku as a possible transfer option to Roy Hodgson when he was looking for the club to sign Bobby Zamora in December 2010. Anderlecht were interested in signing Jovanovic at the time and Comolli had inquired about the possibility of signing Lukaku. Liverpool could have signed him for £12M plus Jovanovic in January 2011. Dalglish replaced Hodgson and had a preference for British players which is why Andy Carroll was preferred.

• Advertisement

It’s always been the way in modern/premiership times. Before City it was Chelsea, before that MU. Newcastle will join the party over the next decade. But it is worth bearing in mind, Liverpool are by no means a poor club, we are just run more prudently. The reality is though as the current stars age, a vast sum will need to be spent in the next couple of years to remain competitive with MC as they keep spending.

Bad time to face Leicester, or good time, I dunno. They'll want a reaction come Tuesday, or maybe they'll look to the game after that as their time to shine, some easy game for them after we play them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The way they've folded today, and seemingly prioritised us, I hope we absolutely batter them.

A look at who they are missing gives a good indication as to why they are so poor. We know all about the difference the loss of key players can make.

Both things can be true I guess really... there was interest in him from everyone (he was definitely already linked with Chelsea back at the time you're talking about in - and before - Jan 2011). I've no doubt Liverpool were interested (as were all the big clubs), and I suppose had they gone for him maybe the firm offer on the table would've changed his mind. Chelsea definitely seemed to be his preference alright though, and when he joined them a few months later he said; "It was a good experience to play in Belgium but I wanted to take a big step to join a big club and I said from day one that I wanted to go to Chelsea." Wonder what the reaction would've been had Liverpool brought in a 17 year old kid to replace Torres, instead of Carroll? There was enough of a backlash over Carroll as it was (I remember absolutely raging at spending 30 million - thirty million!! - on Andy Carroll).

Was listening to a decent podcast segment on his whole Chelsea love affair a while back, about how much he idolised Hasselbaink and Drogba, and saw himself there from when he was a kid, and how he's always felt connected to the club. After that first move didn't work out he still always intended to return to fulfil that ambition - but interestingly actively told his agent to push for Utd instead of Chelsea back when there was that whole Morata thing going on, because he felt the timing just wasn't right. And then when the possibility came around again last summer, he felt it was finally the right time to realise that childhood dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Seeing Tierney (VAR) give that penalty today for Man City, after not giving one for Jota the last day is frustrating. Kavanagh is referee today and on VAR the last day. Kavanagh gave it today after a second look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Was it not 35 million for Carroll, couldn't believe that at the time, how we'd blown most of the Torres money on Carroll, at least we got Suarez in around the same time for I think 22 million. Shows how crazy football can be when Andy Carroll cost substantially more than Suarez.

Unfortunately it looks like City are going to runaway with the league, think we might keep pace with them but that 3 point gap (soon to be 6) will be difficult to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Ederson is very overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Yeah, you're right! I remember raging in the morning when we offered 30 million, and then feeling relieved when Newcastle turned it down - and then maddeningly we came back in with 35! Total insanity.

We got Carroll + Suarez for Torres money give or take.

Suarez comes in and was an upgrade on Torres. Carroll was a dud. Can't believe we got so much back on him tbh.

Andy Carroll has a child called Wolf Nine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

It is remarkable that we won the EFL Cup match against Leicester. We had players missing due to Covid, played a few times since they played and they played as strong a team as they could. Now it will be the reverse, we will have had a rest and Leicester played a match with only a day's rest. They have rested players, but they are injury ravaged and I will take our front 3 against Ndidi in defense. Add in a rough match against City, where they have looked good and fought back admirably but it will take it out of their players that will need to play again, means we should be in a good position on Tuesday night.

That said nothing is guaranteed so we need to be on our game and focused. As for City, the cracks are there and a Leicester team ravaged with injuries and not playing their best players are giving them a good game. But they have so much depth and their players are so good technically it will be tough to keep up with that squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

At this stage I'd be happy with the League Cup, a run to the semis in the CL, and never letting City breath in the league.

Nobody to fear in the CL.

Squad depth in the league will be the only thing that may scupper us. Not even halfway though, even though the Sky lads declared it over today 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

So how many did Leicester rest today?

Rested, I'd say 1 and a half. Ndidi was given a break, and Castagne was left on the bench first half. Could maaaaybe argue Vardy, but given that he was injured at the end of the game against us a couple days ago (hence why didn't take a pen), he really shouldn't have been playing today regardless.

<edit> Forgot about Soumare as well!

• Advertisement
Advertisement