Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Coming World War

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭techman1

His record in Afghanistan and the shambolic withdrawal, abandoning the Bagram air base that would have given the US a strategic presence in the region close to Iran. If Biden had a big stick he didn't exactly use it in Afghanistan did he in fact he left that big stick to the taliban with all the hardware he left behind there.

As for Biden adopting the Teddy Roosevelt line "Where is my stick I need it to walk" would be more apt

How would that solve any territorial issue? If China had not been allowed into the world economy then it wouldn't be where it is today, but a backwater.

Thats a lousy version of history, the Russians fear the west for a reason, they get invaded from the West fairly frequently, in the historical context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The Russian economy I'd equal to the combined ones of the Netherlands and Belgium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Again a lot of revisionism here. The 31st og August withdrawal datewas set by Donald Trump in Feb 2020. Like many Trump policies there was nothing concrete put in Place. You then had his shambolic attempt to hold onto power after the Election. Problem was when Trump announced it he had not made sure that the Afghan army and government were capable of fighting the Taliban or controling the country. The american people at that stage wanted out it was impossible to try to rearrange the deckchairs in 4-6 months as local Afghan warlords and military leaders started to make deals that lead to the Taliban controling the country before the withdrawal date.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Do you think that Biden (and the USA generally, since Trump was the one to announce the withdrawal) should have just stayed in Afghanistan for the long term future?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

No one was complaining when they pretty much single handedly beat the nazis while the western powers had their tail between their legs and reluctantly went into battle on occasion.

But it was Biden not Trump that carried it out, Roosevelt started the Manhattan project developed the atomic bomb but it was Truman that dropped the bomb not Roosevelt, therefore it is 100% Trumans responsibility. Its the same logic with Biden he was the president in charge, the taliban were not a sovereign government but a rag a tag band of rebels, Biden could have reversed out of it, re negotiated it or just ignored it like they have done in the past, Did the US abide by agreements they made with Saddam or Gadaffi ,No they did not, that argument does not stand up at all.

In any case this is not a Biden /Trump debate, Biden is the president and even though he has only been there barely a year his record is shambolic. It is precisely because of his miscalculations in Afghanistan that Putin is now threatening Ukraine but not just that his silly interference in the energy markets trying to reduce US domestic oil production to appease the "progressives" in the democrats has handed much more power to Russia and OPEC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Pity Russia collaborated with the Nazis first. And then occupied half of Europe after the war.

• Advertisement

thats the key weakness for Putin that Russia is not exactly taking part in the wealth creation going on in the West in the last decade. The Russian people will not tolerate a military adventure in Ukraine when their economy is falling behind their contemporaries in Europe. For all the talk about China, the Russian people don't care about China, they care about keeping up with the Jones in Europe, thats where Russians go on holidays (those that can afford it) , thats what they measure themselves against.

Putin might have got some reprieve recently with the good revenues returning for their oil and gas exports but he really needs sanctions with Russia to be lifted now. Putin is a master strategist and has outsmarted the US and Europe for the last decade but this time he may have over reached with his actions in Ukraine. The skill for the West is to allow Putin to retreat back from this position

The Afghan people had no interest in fighting the Taliban.

That's why they walked through the country, a small light force in a country where every family has an Ak 47

The taliban also have strong support in Afghanistan, how much support is hard to gauge but they certainly have strong support around the country despite what many people believe.

Leave the Afghans to it I say, good decision by Trump to withdraw they realised they weren't going to get anywhere and would have to occupy Afghanistan for the foreseeable future, the Afghan army were nothing but a bunch of scumbag mercenaries, I guess you could say that about most armies but it was especially true for the Afghans.

The US controlled Kabul, that was about it. The Kabul Govt robbed the country blind, the army were hired guns, who often saw their wages stolen.

Afghanistan was a lost cause 15 years ago, some good came of it, women's education hit 50%, child marriage was a bit hampered etc

But that was not popular in most of Afghanistan, even among enemies of the Taliban.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think Vlad's general tactic is to disrupt, disturb, disrupt. He made Russia relevant again with the way they used internet to disrupt social discourse in Europe and America by turning everyone against each other.

Political discourse in America is beyond toxic now. It's getting that way in Europe now too. The Russians have played a big part in that by amplifying extreme voices on both sides.

Now he sees a massive opportunity. Disruption is afoot in Europe. Protests getting bigger every week for Covid passes. Green party movements getting bigger. Countries destroying themselves with Green movements. He mentioned this the other day in his annual press conference about how Europe has created its own problems in terms of the energy crisis.

Vlad knows that people in Europe will not stand for losing their quality of life to suit the climate change agenda.

So in Europe you have social meltdown on Covid passes, inflation, energy crisis, a French election, all within the next 3-4 months. He can invade Ukraine now in the next month, turn off the gas pipes to Europe. He won't be physically opposed because Europe is too busy fighting their internal battles. Refugee crisis into Europe from Ukraine. Serbia/Bosnia kicks off, more Refugees into Europe. EU countries start cutting their own deals for gas with Russia. And countries are already at each others throats over refugees.

Pure disruption. He only needs something to happen in America to keep them distracted. A policeman shooting a black man is enough to tip things over the edge. Weeks of rioting and looting.

Looks like you've been watching a bit too much Sky news there buddy, sounds like you see Vladimir Putin as some sort of marvel villain, if anything it's the other way around.

Sounds like your opinion was formed after a 3 day binge of marvel movies and sky news over the Christmas.

I don't agree with everything he said, but why is the West the Marvel vilan?

I was just saying that if you look at the actual facts the USA has been doing far more evil things in the last 20 years or so than Russia has but when you listen to the media you would think the complete opposite.

So in Europe you have social meltdown on Covid passes, inflation, energy crisis, a French election, all within the next 3-4 months. He can invade Ukraine now in the next month, turn off the gas pipes to Europe. He won't be physically opposed because Europe is too busy fighting their internal battles.

yes there are problems in Europe but only at the extremes and the media loves to focus on those extremes . Its also true to an extent that Russia is behind fostering extremism on social media but only tangentially sure the tech companies themselves are the biggest culprits here not Russia. The facebook whistleblower Frances Haugen revealed alot of the dark arts behind how facebook designs its own algorithms to foster extremism itself. The tech companies are American not Russian afterall.

Even if you were to buy into the narrative that Europe is about to collapse due to waves of extremism and protests over inflation and energy how does Putin take advantage of that by invading Ukraine? Why create instability in Russia by a very risky intervention surely the easist thing for him to do would be to sit back and just reap in the high energy prices and just watch it all unfold then

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I wasn't saying it as a bad thing. I am a big fan of Vlad. 6 months of chaos and the dissolution of the EU would suit me very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I have noticed in the last few years that when I share a post on Facebook it doesn’t seem to get anything like the response I get for posting an original post of my own creation. Is this Facebook putting the brakes on the spread of information on their platform. If it is it’s no harm really.

it seems to be the same whether it’s news items or mundane postings from other users the likes and reactions are only a fraction of what you get for posting your own original stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭McGiver

No, it's not. And no they weren't. The critical blows came in fact from the East - for example the Mongols which altered Russian history forever, caused demise of Kievian Rus and ascendancy of the Moscovites who let's say inherited Asian Mongolian ruling practices that prevail to this very day.

Russia's borders are 20,000 kms long, out of which only 1500 kms are NATO countries. The longest borders are with Kazachstan, China and Mongolia. The whole notion of "NATO encroaching Russia" is BS of the highest order, and manufactured in Kremlin propaganda department.

Russia (politically) is a disruptive and destructive anti-element in Europe and better be kept out of European civilisation sphere.

Post edited by McGiver on

the mongols were 13th C. Here’s the wiki list of invasions of Russia from wiki. With the exception of the minor incursions of Japan at the end and the mongols at the start it’s all from the west or south west.

And also a major behemoth power that threatens all of Europe. There was less hysteria about the Warsaw Pact.

The danger for Russia is in its East becoming a Chinese possession.

Hard to see it not happening.

I know all this. Pretty pathetic attempt at justifying official Kremlin propaganda "we defend ourselves, the west attacks us". Pathetic, in fact.

So Mongols in 13th century then 350 years nothing. Then Ottomans which were their imperial expansionist Asian rivals, so again nothing to do with the "West".

So from the West we've got:

1. A successful Polish incursion of much smaller force resulting in modest territorial gains at the height of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and at the low of the Russian empire in the 17th century. In fact, the Russians were allied with the Swedes here (see #2 below).

2. After switching the sides, a successful Swedish incursion resulting in a minor territorial gains at the height of the Swedish Empire and at the low of Russian empire in the 17th century.

3. A failed Swedish invasion in the 18th century at the height of Swedish empire.

4. A failed French invasion at the height of the French imperial ambition in the 19th century when France invaded basically everyone in Europe. Pointless mentioning this really.

I won't count the 20th century world wars as it's that's irrelevant here from historical perspective. And, because they were, you know, world wars... Involving the whole world.

And that's it?

So let me get this straight - Russia afraid of:

1. Poland - a 54 times smaller NATO member with 204 km border with Russian exclave but no direct border otherwise

2. Sweden - a 38 times smaller neutral country, not a member of NATO, with no border with Russia at all 😁

3. France - a 26 times smaller NATO member with no border with Russia and 1000 kms away (kaliningrad) or 1500 kms away (Russia proper)

All of that on basis of successful or attempted invasion 400 years, 300 years and 200 years ago respectively. Right...

Well you've proven the point that "the eternal series of Western invasions" was always nonsense and it's all made up! 😎

Shall we do the reverse? Whom Russian Empire attacked. The list is long.

And don't test me from the Central and Eastern European history, I know it very well due to my roots.

I’m not sure where y’all think this Russian propaganda is coming from exactly, in the fever swamps of the CNN-Breitbert nexus there’s always some other country pulling the strings of the western mind, when in fact the western mind is probably the most propagandised in history - hence all the wars all the time.

anyway, that’s a lot of cope and running around the clear historical facts that Russia was almost always invaded from the west.

so back to Russia, the wise thing to have done was to disband NATO and have a European army associated with (but not entirely bound to) the EU. If you keep an organisation around that’s set up to fight the USSR then that’s the mode it will always be in, if NATO was set up to fight the Austro-Hungarian empire it would be threatening Austria and Hungary right now

It's an economic dwarf...

GDP that of Italy with half the population, none of the resources and 56 times smaller territory. Russia manages only Italian level of GDP but with astronomical amount of natural resources and largest territory on earth.

Totally irrelevant despotic backward country that doesn't contribute anything relevant to the European civilisation (in current state at least).

The only leading industries or niches worth mentioning in relation to Russia are - weaponry, including the WMDs, nuclear power (which is a byproduct of the WMD focus), space industry and rocketry (which is again the byproduct of the WMDs), drilling, oil and gas which are obviously based on the immense resources Russia has at disposal.

Post edited by McGiver on

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

I've family members from Russia I been there I went on the train from Moscow to Izhevsk a few times and I assure you Russia is far from a **** hole and I would definitely live there.

It's like my friend from Syria was always told that the Irish were the The Bedouin of Europe...

We have a great reputation for our culture and musical talent all over the world but we're nothing compared to mother Russia. It's an absolutely amazing country very diverse too...

• Advertisement

Yes maybe, but Italy doesn't have the geopolitical power it should have, the same as much of Europe, combined and focused yes Europe is an immense power, but that focus as of yet has not been realized. I think though we are coming to the end of that era , the era of Europe mainly being only of economic significance. I don't think that a European defence aligned with the EU will ever happen either though, a new defence organization to replace NATO will probably where things go

Advertisement