Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭hometruths

2.3m for this house in the Burnaby, Greystones.

Sure it's big at 325sqm and has a decent sized garden, but it is far from the nicest house or nicest site in the Burnaby. If this is 2m+ some of the super prime examples must be closer to or even over 3m.

Now idea if this will make the asking, but it feels like Greystones has passed 2007 prices at this stage.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-the-tunnel-st-vincent-road-the-burnaby-greystones-co-wicklow/3660539

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's 3500 sq feet it's a substantial residence. While the furnishings are not included, the fittings will be. Builders finish on such a house would be in the region of 7-800k. The Aga probably cost 10 k+, the kitchen 30-50 k. The marble fireplaces 10-15k. The bathrooms are not big standard either. While decors are a matter of taste the finishes in the house is quite good. The patio and hard areas need the touch of a power hose and the pond a clean out but the rest of the outside is quite good.

While furniture is not included in any such sale there may be certain items the owners are willing to negotiate on. I will imagine the owners are downsizing.

Hard to see such a house not being worth 1.5-2 million even in an average market.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭JDigweed

It's not as black and white as that. You might start off with 3.5 times 90k but the banks will chip away at that for various reasons such as children, childcare costs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I do not think they do in general. A couple with no children is more likly to have higher childcare costs throughout the lifetime of a loan than a couple with two five year old children. Where they might chip away is in not giving you an exemption to take you to 4 X income. The 4 times income takes you to virtually a 400K property. Such a couple would have an income of 5400/month. Living frugally for 12 months could see you saving 30K+in 12 months.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Yes. Greystones has gone mad. I saw it was like €2.3???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Childcare costs would reduce a mortgage massively as it shrinks your disposable income and for the same reason child maintenance costs for people separated is a major obstacle to housing. You could live frugally have a deposit get a 4x income exemption and still not get a mortgage because of it. Just go onto any mortgage calculator and play with the variables to see the actual impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think a country is judged by the debt it has versus the gdp, its economy in general, can it pay x amount per year, can it pay the interest on debt. Can it build new infrastructure, new roads etc what's the rate of inflation, if the debt ratio versus tax revenue gets too large it finds it hard to borrow or it becomes more expensive to borrow Currently turkey is heading for a financial crisis, because the falling value of the Turkish currency is causing hyperinflation basic goods like bread food petrol are rising in cost its heading for a 1970s type inflation crisis the government policy towards inflation interest rates does not make any sense a few years ago it had a booming ecomony with a good export sector since we are in the euro zone we are protected to some extent and the general government inancial policy's are not radical I read in general its OK to borrow to build new houses roads railways infrastructure projects that help the economy grow

Turkey has been a basket case for the past 10 years running massive deficits which have been financed issuing bonds in foreign currency (USD, EUR) which means they can’t devalue their currency easily. On top of that they have political interference with their central bank which is stopping them from defending their currency.

Ireland is in a totally different scenario and has been able to borrow at ultra low rates and in the currency used to collect taxes.

Building new infrastructure is always good as long as it needed and can be afforded by the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Daft reporting today that asking prices are up 8% in 2021 versus 2020. Logically one would think that COVID has been an exceptional time with extreme demand pressure and little supply that when restrictions finally end prices will decline a bit, but who knows. The government seem to be enjoying the paper based prosperity and it is fully in the government's control to quench the housing market fire to some extent at least. It's very short sighted though when we have thousands of MNC workers still out of the country who might have a decision to make soon on returning to work here - the decision will be made for them with the crazy housing situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

It's worth looking at the MoM index. Flat overall since circa August and now heading down, principally driven by decreased asking prices in cities.

Perhaps that extra savings/bank of mum and dad heat starting to die down and we're back to bouncing off the LTI limits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

To hell or to Connaught. Cromwellian policies are back

It adds credence to objections on affordability grounds. We started this cycle by banning bedsits, now it would appear it would be the only thing that the majority could afford in our capital city

Hats off to the good landlords out there. Shame the government is hounding them out of the sector.

It is the rent controls and regulations that are driving them out of the market. SF want a rent increase ban for 3 years and introduce even more regulation which would just drive more out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I was reading that and it reminder me of a friend who I always thought was a kind hearted soul.

He used to tell his tenant that he could have December rent free at the beginning of December for about 5 years. Hes been trying to get that tenant to leave now for over 3 years and the arrears dwarf even the amount he let them off rent over the years. It all turned sour when he decided he wanted to get out of the property business and sell up. Says hes sorry he ever helped out the #@#%# now :)

Would more stay if problem tennants could be removed promptly and taxation was more balanced.

These are issues for both landlord and tennant

They would be paying the same tax if not substantially more if income over 100k and proposed regulation would make it harder to remove problematic tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭PommieBast

At this stage anyone who is not already back is not going to return. Its pretty much two years down the line and many will have already established new lives overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I have heard of more and more people the last few months essentially having relocated permanently out of Ireland between Indeed, Oracle, Microsoft in particular. I think we have potentially looked the MNC job gift horse in the mouth by letting housing costs runaway since 2016 and have essentially made the place unattractive for younger people to move over and rent here. When the pandemic eases the dust will settle and we'll see how stable our jobs market, so heavily dependent on MNC job activity, actually is. It's darkest just before the dawn I would say and for those desperate to buy, a year and a half ago you were told to hold off and probably feel silly now with people telling you you should've listened to them and only seeing prices continue to climb. But it is an extreme situation in the housing market and definitely not sustainable so hang in there and be patient of you can (note: if you can).

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

That reflects my experience looking last year alright. Madness until about July/August and then the huge bidding wars became less frequent - although didn't entirely disappear.

Will he interesting to see if January brings a fresh batch of desperate buyers to the market and things start to go crazy again. Mortgage approvals seemed to be calming towards the end of last year so hopefully that's a sign we're not in for another 10+ per cent rise this year.

• Advertisement

If people are getting cost of living increases based on CPI then property prices will continue to rise because they will be able to borrow more. The likelihood of prices dropping is very remote unless their is large scale emigration or major job looses.

January will mean that banks will have a new quota and be able to offer more than 3.5 times salary again. So don’t be surprised if the market heats up a bit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LJ12345

There’s no way to tell really, bank of mum and dad may be scared off with a stock market correction depleting their pension investments courtesy of Chinese developers. Councils might stop buying up second hand stock. Investors might have filled their boots or might focus more heavily towards property if other investments don’t give them the returns they want, the government can easily influence this, one way or another.

LTI rules were keeping a lid on prices in 2018/2019, I’d take 2019 and add an average of the extra savings from covid and salary increments which have been very strong in some sectors and try and work out where we might have been without the council and investors.... I’d say we’ve overshot by 5-10% since 2020 as the above price should be lowered to compensate for the sectors that haven’t done so well. Also the buyers with money and a real housing need would have thrown it into a bidding war in desperation already.

Was the number/percentage of exemptions the banks can give out reduced recently

No the only change was that if they didn’t use quota it could be rolled forward to next year in addition to the normal quota

Yes bank of mom and dad may take hit of stock market crashed…Councils won’t stop buying…even if SF were in power councils will still compete with FTB’s as all political parties policies are to buy existing housing.

investors are still in a situation where there are limited investment opportunities. If inflation lasts then property will be a natural hedge. Interest rates would need to hit 2-3% before property stopped looking attractive and I can’t see that happening for at least 5 years.

Add on top that if people start getting 3-5% pay rises this will mean people will be able to borrow more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Nothing can be done at this stage. Horse is long gone.

Any legislation towards making housing more appealing for investment will kill us all.

Policy after policy has led us up this hill. They're on thin ice in regards to what they can do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The tax take on small landlords is ridiculous. its like the government. wants to drive out the small landlord and leave the rental sector in the hands of vulture funds who will just raise the rent every year if they can .the government should be giving more money to charitys and councils to build houses 2 and 3 bed units. this might reduce the average rent in most areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

I feel the rental rules and taxation for small landlords are very unfair. But I believe in a year or two, REIT's/Funds will start to feel competition in Dublin between each other. As there are many apartments coming on stream, the rental price increase in Dublin might stop by itself, due to supply/demands, particularly for apartments, even without rental price control. (if there is no significant increase in immigration)

Advertisement