Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2022 thread - see post 1 for rules

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Absolutely, which says a lot more about how good a driver Button was more than anything.

The original statement suggested Hamilton hasn't been had a team-mate that put it up to him, when he has more often than not. Three world champions, to be exact, and he beat them all over the period of their time together.

There aren't many in the history of the sport that can make that claim, but many here seem to forget that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I don't agree that he has had a team mate that has pushed him for the majority of his career like the original post claimed, that's all.

8 out of 15 seasons.

That's when he had a team-mate who either was or went onto be a World Champion.

That's the majority of his career.

If you apply the point made by established, respected and knowledgeable poster El_Dude that younger drivers are far more adaptable. Take the old men out in alonso and button, who are five users older than him.

That leaves Rosberg. Same age, same car in 3 seasons.

Rosberg history:

17th (2006), 9th, 13th, 7th, 7th, 9th, 6th, 2nd (hybrid 2014), 2nd, 1st.

So we can see here that a pretty average driver can perform extremely well in the Hybrid car. So is Hamilton just a better driver than one that is "okay" overall when they are not in a vastly better performing car?

I've seen some straw clutching on these forums over the years but this is the most impressive yet.

Are you seriously trying to say a 27 year old defending two-time World Champion Alonso was 'an old man' when he was Hamilton's team-mate?

You tried to paint the picture that you were just 'putting the information out there' but it's clear as day you're looking for any and every reason to downplay Hamilton's achievements in his career.

Honestly it's baffling that we're having a conversation about a rookie having an advantage over a 27 year old, two-time defending World Champion just because he was five years younger than him.

Nope, I left my opinion out of the info post for that very reason, I didn't have an agenda. I didn't want to open the door to accusations of down playing his career or trying to prove you wrong. Nothing in that post was fabricated or info withheld to stear opinions.

You made a claim, I posted info around that claim.

Then you went on to question me, I answered and disagreed, then you made another point that I didn't agree with.

I disagreed with you and explained why. Up to you where you go with my reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

New thread same auld Hamilton guff as ended the old thread.

You said:

"If you apply the point made by established, respected and knowledgeable poster El_Dude that younger drivers are far more adaptable. Take the old men out in alonso and button, who are five users older than him."

Not only was that a dig at me (before you say it wasn't, you wouldn't have gone out of your way to describe another poster as 'established, respected and knowledgeable'), you claimed that you couldn't compare Alonso and Hamilton, as well as Button and Hamilton in the same car against each other because Hamilton was younger than them, which is absolute bollocks. Alonso was 27 years old and had just won back-to-back drivers titles. Button was 30-32 and when he joined McLaren, he had just won the world championship as well.

Then you took Rosberg and dismissed him as 'average'. Average drivers don't win a World Championship when their team-mate is one of the greatest of all time.

That entire post was to dismiss Hamilton's achievements against team-mates who 'put it up to him'. You can deny it all you want but your posting history goes against you on this one, I'm afraid.

I described that poster as such because its clear that is the opinion of them around here. if your mind is made up and there's no point in me denying it then there's not much i can do. It wasn't what was intended.

It's your opinion on my origional post, its your view on Hamiltons career by what you claimed and your entitled to all of it. All I did was post info and my own contrasting view after being questioned on it. that info could have easily been looked at by a new fan to F1 and they could have seen it as Hamilton only losing out twice or whatever to a team mate in his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Right lads, 2022…yeah?

I also hope for better fortunes for Aston Martin, still a soft spot for them with them being Jordan etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Except, we have Baku, when RB asked for a red flag on safety grounds when the race MIGHT have ended under safety car and they weren't looking for a count back or anything else. Just red flag on safety grounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Guys, 2022 season. Put the end of the 2021 season to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'm not even sure what point you're making or why you think the situations are comparable. What point are you making?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Red bull could have pushed for the race to end under safety car because they had no warning on the tyre blow out, or a red flag and no restart

Instead they asked for a red flag to allow everyone change tyres before the race restarted.

The only any way comparable incident we have and they wanted a motor race.

2022 Season thread. All this has already been said in the Abu Dhabi race thread. Put it to bed already.

But to be fair, it's ages ago anyway. Maybe time to let it go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

When does 2022 testing start?

"The first week of testing in Barcelona, scheduled for 23 to 25 of February, will be attended by journalists, but the sessions will not be broadcast live on TV. Instead, a 60-minute summary will be broadcast via F1 TV each day.

The second week of testing in Bahrain, from 11 to 13 March, will be broadcast live via F1 TV."

I really can’t wait to see the different approaches to these cars. It is a literal blank slate for all teams, nothing at all will carry over for aero.

The underfloor rules should be interesting in how teams approach, it’s not legit “ground effect” but it’ll be better than what we have had for the past few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If testing is end of Feb, when do the cars get launched?

Probably the couple of weeks leading up to testing and a few will launch on the morning of the first test.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I haven't been in a few years, but used to go to Barcelona and Valencia (ex European GP race). It's just as easy to stay in Barcelona. The train is busy going in, but everyone is in great spirits. They offer a free shuttle bus from close to the train station up the circuit (it's a bit of a walk!).

I usually do the grandstand. They're probably not the best seats, but it's covered (it can get super hot) and you are at the starting grid. Funny story one year, I got hit in the face by a flying Ferrari cap. Saw a fan running towards me so picked it up and handed it to him (thinking it was his). Turns out it was a signed cap from Alonso that he threw over the fence and hit me with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Is it too early to start making predictions? I suppose we need to see what testing brings in February.

Things I'd like to see is; new race winners, also Alonso winning a few races. Ferrari mounting a decent challenge. A three or four way title fight. One big team getting the regs VERY wrong, and one small team getting them VERY right. ;-)

Yeah it’s a bit early, you’d imagine the best will still be up there, but I fancy a few surprises. We are in the unknown with who has reverted resources to 2022 and when during last season. I know Haas did and a few others, and we have a cost cap as well.

Youd imagine the usual will be there, but that doesn’t always happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ferrari probably are the ones to watch for next season, that engine upgrade was pretty meaty in the last third of this season and had pretty much zero reliability issues.

The big question is how much time and money did redbull and merc pour into the season as it panned out when the likes of ferrari were (so they say) fully focused on next year's regs?

You'd love to see a brawn type scenario where a back marker makes a big stride and wins the championship but its hard to see it? Alpine are probably one that need to be nailing this, making their own engine and chassis and no customer teams to be dealing with, they've little excuse.

• Advertisement

They have the worst engine though. We'd they're always had the worst engine for the whole hybrid era except for competitors mistakes. Honda being terrible at the start and the Ferrari cheating agreement made them poor for a season. Renault making such a leap in engine performance would be a massive bolt from the blue considering they've shown no indication of catching the Mercedes or Honda.

Ferrari is probably well ahead of them again with its latest engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Ferrari are taking a different approach next season as they’ll be the only team who won’t be running a split turbo setup. They developed two engines and earlier this year decided on the risky move of doing something different.

They’ll be running the turbocharger and supercharger at the front of the engine whereas all other teams have the supercharger at the back and turbo at the front. I don’t know if that’s the engine they ran at the end of the season or even if a new engine concept is allowed mid season (I presume it is so long as it meets the regs) but they’ve banked on this for the next 3 years so they’ll need it to work!

Saw the Williams documentary tonight. Interesting show. He build a great business but he's not a sympathetic character. He had no interest in anything in life except the business. His family seemed to mean very little him. They showed love and devotion to him which he didn't seem capable of, or interested in, reciprocating.

Good show all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭quokula

I just can't see a repeat of Brawn because I can't see a customer team beating their supplier's works team with the complexity of the hybrid power units - this was the reason Ron Dennis gave for ditching Mercedes for Honda originally. Although that gamble didn't work out, his prediction has generally proven correct, with the only exception through the whole hybrid era has been McLaren beating Renault in 2019 and 2020. Renault of course are no longer supplying customers, only Mercedes and Ferrari are and neither constructor has ever been beaten by a customer under this formula.

Realistically that means there are four teams in with a shot at the championship, Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari and Alpine. Ferrari and Alpine have surely been throwing everything they possibly can at the new car and if they're ever going to get back to the front this has to be the year. Mercedes will have split focus more with 2021, but their massive engine advantage is unlikely to be going anywhere and that still leaves them likely to be strong. Red Bull are the most precarious in my view as unlike their competitor's engine advantage which is preserved, their biggest strength is in aero and that's all going in the bin and back to the drawing board for the new cars. Newey is a master of finding opportunities in new regs of course but he's just one man and he's clearly had much of his focus on 2021, in addition to missing a bunch of time after his severe bike crash. The transition of the Honda engines into in-house ownership could see some hiccups too.

I've been keeping my eye on the driver's betting markets and for me Russell, Sainz and Alonso are the value bets right now. I made a fortune betting on Rosberg each way for the 2014 title back in 2013 but unlike the obvious head start Mercedes had with that engine, there's no clear front runner just yet so I think I'll be waiting for testing this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Clearly Mercedes Ferrari and red bull will be the expected front runners but will all new regs a clever interpretation could easily be enough to result in McLaren being faster than Mercedes for example.

It's all up the air for now but there will surely be a surprise where one team arrived with an alternative design whether that's a midfield team jumping to the front or a front runners going backwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Happy New Year! Hopefully we will have another cracking season ahead of us.

That's pretty cool.

I know moat people hate the cars every year, then they get used to them and like them and then hate when they change the next year. But I think that looks pretty good

I wonder how close it is to the real thing, I doubt it’s the proper car just yet but it’s probably not far off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

You can be confident that they tried this model and found gains in a completely different setup. This is to throw people off.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

Have we any idea how big/long the cars will be compared to this season? I presume they won't be bigger again...

It won't be close enough to give away anything unique about the Mercedes. Any detail that could give away any clue about how it's doing anything from front to back. So it's like an FIA render of a 2022 car.

But it looks pretty good nonetheless.

I'm pretty sure it's just a render of the FIA reference model with a Mercedes livery, there won't be any images of the real car for a good while.

Supposedly the new regs are very tight with little room to deviate so the real car may look a lot like that, but we won't know for sure until they hit the track in February, undoubtedly there'll be some loopholes to be found.

They're the same width, and will be pretty much the same length - there's now a prescribed length where there wasn't previously, but it's pretty close to what the teams were already running, a few cm shorter than some of the longest cars but nothing noticeable. There's talk of them bringing the size back down to something more sensible with the new engine regs in 2026, but for now they'll continue to be the size of pickup trucks.

The weight is actually further increasing too, they're going to be nearly 800kg which is a long way from the sub 600kg cars before the hybrid era.

• Advertisement

That looks to me like the show car from F1 painted in black with the badge stuck on the nose.

Yeah I'd imagine that's pretty much all it is. A little marketing exercise that helps push the focus to the future.

I imagine that since heads have gad time to cool, Mercedes probably isn't proud of its behaviour in the couple of weeks after the last race. Onwards and upwards.

I also remember hearing a few months ago that they were probably moving back to the silver cars for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Ahh, the T2000.

Liquid metal over endoskeleton! 😁

Racingnews365.com: Red Bull head to court over departing Fallows.

Shenanigans around the Red Bull aero chief going to Aston Martin. RB want his 6month gardening leave to start after his Co tract with them would have ended at the end of 2022. So he could only begin work in the middle of 2023.

The details aren't that important for now but it's good for AM to be able to attract such high profile people from other teams. Shows they have ambition at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭weisses

Money talks and the team is run by a Billionaire .... Not really rocket science that they are able to attract some good people

Maybe so. It's probably good for the overall competitiveness of the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Hopefully we will get some car launch dates soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Hope he lands on his feet - he did a lot of good work for that team

• Advertisement

I quite like the new shape of cars, only thing I specifically don't like about them is the front wing. Having wheels exposed fully just makes the cars look much better.

That and I dunno, the model looks a little bit "easy". Like it's no more exciting looking than some of the designs for IndyCar a few years back were. Like how restricted are the rear wings? The shape makes them look almost spec, do they have to follow the curved geometry etc?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement