Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

What have Trump and Fauci got to do with anything? We're talking about what happens in Ireland here, not the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

But surely he can voice his opinion as a tax payer too?

You lads will try any excuse to defend Tony 🙄

I'm not a public servant, he is, my opinion only annoys some of the twitchers here on boards, but his option directly affects the entire country.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

It's relative to the discussion of not allowing the CMO speak publicly, or would you like to decide what everyone can or can't talk about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Allinall

Poster is a taxpayer.

They can decide everything do with how the country is run.

• Advertisement

You know what, forget it.

I'm going to have some leftover turkey & stuffing... Much better than going around in circles with you lads.

Happy Christmas 🎅

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

If cases continue like at the moment then the entire country will have it in time. And Then what? And I would be shocked if more restrictions aren't introduced by the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

You probably just annoy people because you are talking awful nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the vaccines are reasonably effective and are working, lowering the effects when and where one contracts covid and lowering hospitalisations.

of course if those listening to doctor youtube took it then we would be in an even better position with the only restriction being the mask requirement, and small stuff like washing hands more regularly would be a help.

would of course benefit those who genuinely can't take the vaccines for medical reasons also.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

of course, tony is a tax payer also so is entitled to his opinion on that score.

he is also the chief medical officer so has an obligation to give the facts which clearly he does, and doing it publically means people are getting the information as it is meant to be interpreted and they therefore get a better understanding of what we are dealing with, and what is needed and why it is needed to deal with it.

there are no twitchers on boards, and your "opinions" annoy whoever they annoy because they are nonsense with no basis in reality.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Annual vaccines going forward maybe necessary according to the leader tonight

I presume the passports will also be needed going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Lads, this is all bollocks at this stage. This Omicron thing is everywhere. I've never known so many people on a personal level at one time to have Covid. Not one of them is in any way bad. I have it myself now (antigen positive), so I'm isolating away with the exact symptoms I've had throughout my life any time I've had a cold. I'm drinking a beer, watching NFL and stuffing my face with popcorn and chocolate. 5 years ago I got influenza at Christmas and it wiped out my entire Christmas - I couldn't get off the couch for about 4 or 5 days. It was pure misery. This is essentially a cold.

I'm not even sure what they are even trying to achieve anymore with this contact tracing. It's akin to trying to put out a burning building with a squirt gun. It's not going to achieve anything. This variant is milder, more transmissible and everyone is going to come in contact with it. The sooner people accept that the quicker we can get out lives back.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,260 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yeah, the health service that has been a shambles for decades under FFFG. Imagine it being under pressure in winter!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

And you know what, I think this is brilliant to hear. Not that you have Covid, but that it is so mild. I had proper flu about 6 or 7 years back and it took me out for a couple of weeks, it was a terrible dose. Ever since, I've got an annual flu jab, so a regular jab is nothing that concerns me.

So, observations in the real world look good, initial reports look good, everything looks good. To those of you raging at the restrictions based on my previous line, it is up to you how you deal with the emerging picture. However for those people who are in official positions of influence or those that make the decisions, they can't just look at the last week and say 'ah that's grand lads, the numbers are high, but sure so many have it mild, let's open everything back up'. You have to have some perspective into the fact that decisions on such things have to be based on a large amount of data, both local and international, what other countries have done and what stage we are at when compared to those who had it before us. Omicron is only a month old sure.

It is often referenced here how NPHET got it wrong at the start when it comes to masks and the nursing homes, effectively putting up the case that they had too little caution at the start. Yet the people who referenced this are the same ones who want everything back open. How in the name of God does pointing out the failing of too little caution, justify the need to reverse the position of too much caution now?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well fine if the same patience was applied to the imposition of restrictions. Very quick to enact them. Very slow to undo them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

We are at the cross roads now. We're at 10k cases a day (we know it's multiple of that because people are struggling to get tests, and people are just doing anti-gen tests). Add close contacts to that.

Large swathes of the workforce can't attend work for what will be nothing more than a cold. My local bookies is closed, as they didn't have enough available staff to open. One of the biggest betting days of the year and they couldn't muster up staff.

This type of stuff will be replicated in retail, hospitality but importantly essential retail. It will be replicated in the Garda, fire brigade, prison service. All of stuff we actually need.

Within the next 2 weeks, we're going to have to make a decision to lockdown or roll on as normal. Government might see it as a cheap lockdown by having non-essential retail, hospitality closed and it will be on them because they don't have available staff. But we cannot live without grocery retail, and the essential services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Why on earth would we lockdown over this? We are losing our minds!

If they do that, then kiss goodbye to the Irish public embracing vaccines in such numbers again, and goodbye to their political careers.

This variant is the end of the pandemic. Its becoming so clear to everyone except those refusing to let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

They got it completely wrong at the start and have used excessive caution since.

it's like someone failing to lock their door and their partner's belongings get robbed.

They then decide to stay in the house for 21 months to ensure it doesn't happen again.

The person is behaving stupidly in both scenarios. That person is NPHET/ Irish government IMHO.

• Advertisement

I agree. Locking down over this would be nonsense. But an actual decision is going to have to be made to downgrade Covid as another general illness or to treat the way we have been doing and go for a lockdown, and it's going to have to be done in the next week or two. Otherwise society won't be able to function.

What's the point in a lockdown though? This thing is going to spread like mental anyway, as many will just ignore it and meet up at houses, and even if it worked, when we reopen it would just spread like crazy again.

Are we trying to stop people getting a cold? If we do a lockdown over this, then we need to lockdown every winter over colds and flus.

ICU numbers have been trending downwards for a month, and yesterday was the lowest since 9th November. All this happening while society has been largely open.

People need to get a grip. I'm starting to realise that a large percentage of the general public are not all that clever. Either that or they like the drama of all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's funny watching the dregs of this play out.

So much sunk-cost thinking going on. The refusal to admit that the total over-reaction to Covid from the start.

Omnicron has come along and is slowly stripping away the last vestiges of justification for the nonsense that has gone on for the last 20 months.

Even the slow lads in class will eventually start to figure this out.

What are we left with? We've become one of the most indebted nations on the planet for absolutely nothing.

Clap for our heroes.

Holohan will want a lockdown. Micheal Martin will have to defy him and downgrade Covid. That's where the crossroads is.

People are getting this variant and they are by law not allowed to go to work. They are perfectly fine but they are not allowed to leave their homes or go to work. So you have 6 figures worth of people who have either tested positive, failed the anti-gen test or are a close contact, can now not attend their work place for at least a week.

It is now apparent that we are at the let it rip stage. But you can't let it rip and also tell people they can't attend work. Otherwise you have a societal breakdown where essential retail, cleaners, public transport, prison Services, Garda, everything, they won't be able to fulfill staff levels to function.

So the crossroads is to tell people they can continue as normal and attend work if they have Covid, or lockdown and try to reduce cases.

It's the take your dick out moment. And we'll see if Micheal Martin has a micropenis or a lofty stallion.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

It's the isolating in rooms for 10 days for people with the sniffles and the close contacts isolating for a few days cause they were snitched on by their mates that will destroy the country in the next month or two.

The economy won't be able to function if everyone follows the guidelines, labour shortages are already crippling businesses and it's going to get a whole lot worse if they don't change something

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pepsirebel

Agree with that but as the last 21 months has shown us, we will have a lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sorry Rich. You and everyone else knows that it's increased restrictions that's coming our way. It's all they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

hospital numbers are going to fly up. in a week or so anyone coming in with a heart issue to a hip replacement will have a good chance of having covid and giving the infection rates in hospitals if u dont have it going in you will def have going out!

kinda hope that gardai, fire brigade, schools even supermarkets report they cant open due to close contact numbers and we see meltdown for a while until govt realise they actually need to let healthy people get on with their lives

at the early stages the idea of testing healthy people was laughed at, now lets see do we go full circle

Yes, I think it will be forced upon them. Last year the peak was at the second week of January. So there is still a bit to go if it's anything like last year. You can't tell nearly 100k people everyweek for 3-4 weeks that they need to isolate for 2 weeks.

They can only do around 30k tests per day. They might have to go back to original testing where you needed to fulfill certain criteria to be tested. Or...stop trying to control the virus and just stop testing.

The tests are just a piece of bureaucracy at this stage. If you are badly sick, contact your doctor. If you are in rag order, go to the hospital. Like the olden days of the winter of 2019-20 (when we are pretty sure Covid was circulating about and the sky didn't fall in).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭amandstu

Aren't they requiring ventilated masks for all doctors /staff in hospitals now and providing them to any patient who wants one?

Post edited by amandstu on

Advertisement