Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Omicron variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Lol. I’m quite aware of that. Just like you need to come to terms that not everyone in hospital is there because of Covid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Where are the UK/England figures that has 70% of those in hospital testing positive while in for some other treatment and 30% actually admitted due to covid?

The number of positive ventilated patients wouldn't suggest it's that high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Seems like really bad news for unvaccinated then? As this thing will be everywhere for a good while?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

This is the thing about exponentials - they can make highly intelligent people look silly.

In the third tweet on that thread he says "In all, I tallied no more than four suspected covid pneumonias. At the worst of the Delta wave, I could tally as many as 60 a shift".

He's talking like Canada are nearing the worst point of the omicron wave because they've surpassed their previous daily records by quite a distance. What he doesn't seem to realise is that it's going to get much worse. Denmark have roughly five times the case count that Canada does (per capita), because it took off earlier there.

I don't know where it's going to end, but it's just getting started for that poor fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Can you point to where you were insulted? I haven’t seen anyone “ insult” you. From what i can see is that you think you are being insulted if someone questions or disagrees with your posts . No one is insulting you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

I don't agree to that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, talk of Omicron being "mild" seems mainly to apply to those who have been doubly or trebly vaccinated.

You definitely wouldn't want to be catching this if you had no vaccine at all (ditto with Delta).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Don't you know Tony you're here to serve the users of boards, get with the program 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Yes that's what I'm reading into it also, especially if one has underling issues health wise, unfortunately with the case numbers yesterday and today this godamn virus is going no where

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

No it doesn't. South Africa is only 30% vaccinated (and 20% of the population have the underlying condition of being HIV positive) and it was mild there too though. They are ending containment efforts and not panicking, would they do that if the majority of their population was at risk due to being unvaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The Canadian doctor being quoted above says the risk of contracting severe pneumonia from Omicron is much higher in any unvaccinated person (and this is a guy who believes in a 'best case' scenario re. the variant). This also makes a nonsense of the 'it's just another form of mild cold' claims. How would large numbers of people who have had three dedicated vaccines in the space of six months be still getting sick and becoming symptomatic from something as harmless as a 'mild cold'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

There are so few people here who are unvaccinated (while most of them did not take vaccine simply because they already had covid) that this kind of "concern" is pointless anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

SA population was something like 70% seropositive with strong recent immunity due to the Delta wave that immediately preceded Omicron.

That plus age structure of population was why there was doubt over how well the SA experience would translate to Europe.

With respect to the old "with" vs "for" argument about hospital or death stats, it would be nice if those claiming to want answers could help find them, otherwise the demand for better data looks a lot like sealioning.

I think the base assumption should be that in the absence of better data, incidental infection in hospital roughly affects the same proportion of patients as the positivity rate in the general population.

I don't think the Irish system does that kind of reporting, but the UK does, and from the most recent report

An estimated 1,202,300 people in England had COVID-19 in the most recent week, equivalent to 1 in 45 people. In Scotland, an estimated 76,200 people had COVID-19, or 1 in 70 people.

The estimated number of people living in private households (not in hospitals, care homes and/or other communal establishments) that had COVID-19 in the most recent week was:

- England – 1,202,300 people (1 in 45)

- Wales – 54,400 people (1 in 55)

- Northern Ireland – 37,800 people (1 in 50)

- Scotland – 76,200 people (1 in 70)

Even if hospital percentages were higher, we're still talking about a low probability of incidental infection, not enough to greatly change the picture.

On second thoughts, I'm not sure my analysis holds up.

Looking at it from a different angle: if nobody was hospitalised from COVID, how many people in hospital would have COVID, if the incidence was the same as in the general population?

If we have 14,500 beds and 90% occupancy, that's 13k patients in hospital. Taking a community incidence of 2%, that's about 260 people in hospital with COVID but not from COVID.

Yesterday we had 426 COVID positives in hospital.

So the incidentals ought to be significant, and particularly might contribute a large proportion of the rise in COVID patients when community incidence rises.

Source of bed stats:

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2021/1123/1262560-covid-19-ireland-hospitals-icu-capacity/

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

I like your 'on second thoughts', Lumen. Kudos to you to re-examine the data. There mustve been something niggling in your brain resulting in a recheck. That is exactly how (personal) progress works.

With so many things speculation with preliminary data is hard to resist. It is good to adjust a view, projection with incoming data. We all need to do that. It is a problem for policy makers having to make decisions and selling it to a skeptical audience. My take on it is that the general population is pretty compliant as most neither have the time or will to go digging for data and some of the more interested people just seem to fall for the overall confirmation bias. Nothing wrong with that but one has to play devil's advocate with oneself from time to time and that does not happen that often. A skeptical person would or should.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

Only one thing with that though ...

If the incidence rate is 2% right now, then yes, we’d expect 1 in 50 to show up in hospital with Covid. But those 13k in hospital would have shown up there at various times over the past weeks/month, etc. So there maybe needs to be some time average over that the incidence over the last month to get a better idea.

but ...

the hospital being an indoor space with close contact, etc, there may be a risk of outbreaks which would increase the amount of people “with Covid” beyond the incidence of the general population.

Anyway, I’d say we’ll see a rise in hospital cases soon, at least initially from people “with Covid” as opposed to from, but then maybe some from as well depending on what the actual risk of hospitalisation from omicron is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

I've had no vaccine and I definitely do want to catch this because my covid pass expired!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

Some people can't handle positive news anymore,it's sad really.You question a doctor's view who is in the middle of it in a hospital currently and has been through out it by the sounds of it,but you know better obviously. I'm sure if it was bad news from that doctor you would be all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

When community transmission is high, as it is now, HAI is estimated to be between 20-30%. From Government doc, dated January 2021.. page 42 has graphs for HAI.

Here’s a response from the Heath minister to Alan Kelly dated 21st February 2021. Alan Kelly is seeking information on breakdown of hospital cases versus hospital acquired cases. Some waffle from the minister in the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

The vast majority have mild symptoms from all strains even if unvaccinated. People lost sense of the individual risk long ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

People get sick and become symptomatic from mild colds. It's a question of degree and the percentages who become really sick. In Ireland 90% of all deaths from Covid 19 were in the over 65's. 40% of all deaths were in the over 85's. The median age of death from covid was a couple of months off the median age of death in Ireland minus covid.

The vaccines made a huge difference in the serious illness and death rates, especially in the vulnerable demographics. That the age demographic has trended downwards in ICU patients and at least half of them are unvaccinated shows this.

However even if we had never developed vaccines this pox is heavily weighted towards injuring and killing the old and chronically ill. For the vast majority of everyone else it is "harmless". Hell, even if you were 86 you still had a 90% chance of surviving covid before vaccines.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I only know two unvaccinated adults. Both in their forties. One is fit, the other a bit of a wreck. Both caught this omricon dose in the last fortnight. Comparing them to the vaccinated adults I know who caught it I did notice some difference. The vaccinated had a "glorified headcold", the unvaccinated were still mild, but it was much more like a flu. It's lasted longer too. The vaccinated headcold types were clear of it within days, the unvaccinated still have lingering symptoms over a week later. Serious fatigue, taking to the bed/sofa for the day being the main one. Given the choice I'd rather catch it vaccinated.

Though it can be a crap shoot too. Of the two above the bit of a wreck guy is coming out of it faster. When I got covid last January I didn't notice anything amiss until I got a positive PCR. Then I noticed my sense of smell vanishing. That was it. No fever, cough, fatigue. Nada. Yet one of the others caught in the same PCR testing group ended up needing supplemental oxygen and he was younger and way fitter than me. He took months to get back to normal too. Many of the rest were fecked and in bed with difficulty breathing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

You've know idea weather it what variant it was that they caught.

• Advertisement

I know of a bunch of people who caught it at an event just prior to xmas and then went back to their bubbles and spread it around. Spread like wildfire. What is interesting is that the vaxxed were sick as a dog (out of action for days, vomiting, headaches), while several unvaxxed in their bubbles didn't get unwell at all. One of them got a sore throat for less than a day, gone the next morning.

These are anecdotal reports of course, they mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. But interesting nonetheless. It's important that we have a good population of unvaccinated people in the country to act as a control group for long term studies.

Advertisement