Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,554 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

yes. Feel free to bring it up in the CT thread about vaccine safety, not this one. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Is it the same for people that were vaccinated and then caught Covid say 6-9 months later?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

I think this applies to many.

I ended up getting it as pharmacy had Pfizer vaccine couple days ago. But honestly regretted it straight afterwards and debated it in my head up to last minute.

I can't see the benefit of under 40s that are not overweight of this booster.

Done with it now.

Every GP says get it and those in medical field. But why - what is the actual risk to under 40s that are not obese or have health condition. It's just a constant push to get vaccines every day.

Risk of myocarditis I'd be more worried about after these rNA vaccines really especially considering Omicron looks far milder.

There is a 4th jab coming no doubt.

Regretted it and won't be doing it again .

Risk of myocarditis I'd be more worried about after these rNA vaccines really especially considering Omicron looks far milder.

Why? Risk of myocarditis is minute, and much worse if unvaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I'm in my early 30's and feeling similar as well. My justification for getting double jabbed was to protect others by preventing spread but it appears that was never the case to begin with.

Some of the side effects to the vaccines I had were pretty nasty and not something I'd like to experience again, particularly not on a regular interval as it appears to be trending towards. Considering the virus is getting milder and I work from home and don't have many contacts to begin with I don't think it makes sense for me to continue with vaccines when I weigh up the risks and rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Yes quite remote as what can he seen by the Israeli data.

However I don't think that's of benefit to the 26 year old n new Zealand family who died.

What under 40s really would like to see is what is the actual risk here and why take it.

Anytime I look for some data on who under 40, has got serious I'll from Covid there doesn't seem to be anything bar news articles on someone who was asthmatic or overweight. Coupled to omicron on the scene now and what seems less severe.

So many people 40 and under are testing positive last few days and describing a head cold , I think this is the end of this pandemic as once they will have the attitude it was nothing and won't bother with boosters or distancing again.

As I said I regretted getting it , it's almost hyped up to a lottery and u need to be in it or u're missing out , someone here posted to sit back and reflect over Xmas and I wished I listened to them.

If there is some actual data for under 40s with healthy BMI , I'd change my opinion - data from omicron just further fuels opinon though that booster is overkill.

HSE are lashing out moderna as they ordered 2 million of them and need to get rid by mid Jan before they expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Pawinho

This tread is " will you be taking booster?" do you expect only booster takers will answer ?

Your contempt doesn't make you better, it's your weakness.

Stay strong.

Got booster with Pfizer - mild reaction, nothing nasty - just sore arm and tired, which I assume was the vaccine actually working.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I had my pfizer booster at the beginning of the week. I had a bad rash of hives on my abdomen that kept getting bigger and spreading around my body. It was very uncomfortable. I had a lot of swelling of lymph nodes and the areas around my ears which affected my hearing.

I had absolutely no reaction to my previous two pfizer jabs so I was super surprised! I'm all fine now. At least the immune response means I know its working I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,212 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Got Moderna.

Two nights of poor sleep and a sore arm.

Honestly I didn't think twice about getting it.

My brother and friend both got COVID and are in bits despite both being vaccinated.

If a few bad nights save me a week of pain then I don't care. I'd say Omicron has guaranteed that most people with get COVID in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Get the booster and feel **** for a couple of days.

Get the virus and feel **** for a couple of days.

I never got the flu vaccine because of the chance that I could feel like crap and may have to miss a day or so of work.

Obviously this isn't the case for older people. It's important for them to be topped up. But really, under 50ish, in good health, what's the purpose of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The vaccine is not contagious, that's the difference.

Having a weakness or not has nothing to do with anything. I am listening to the advice from medical experts about medicine, you are not. Trying to make this philosophical is nothing but cringey.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The vaccines were and remain a fantastic positive as they are the single best prophylactic against serious illness and death and by a huge margin and have saved countless lives, but given 93% of Irish adults have been vaccinated and 50% are boosted and it's still flying through the population at a fair lick and a fair number of the vaccinated and boosted are still symptomatic it's not doing a great job of stopping contagion. Yes they reduce it, which is good, but it's pretty clear not by much and they're extremely leaky particularly with the omicron variant being far more infectious so the contagion aspect is a good way down the list of positives.

At this point going by my friends and family and even work circles(all but two of whom are vaccinated and most are boosted too) they've either got it themselves or are close to someone who has and most are in the former group.

If someone isn't vaccinated at this stage then do so FFS, but boosters for those who aren't in the vulnerable demographics? Not really seeing the point tbh.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

It remains the case that being recently vaccinated or infected gives you better protection against infection than not, but one of those choices (if they are choices) is likely to negatively affect others.

Several people I know have had Christmases severely disrupted by COVID. Whilst there's a lot of aggressive "it's just a cold, stop hiding under the duvet" commentary online, when push comes to shove most people don't want to infect their elderly relatives over Christmas, regardless of their vaccination status.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Unless they're singular outliers their elderly relatives are almost certainly already vaccinated and boosted. They've already got their protection against infection unless the vaccines and boosters are seriously below par in reality. They very much have protection againts serious illness and death. That's the main thing by a country mile. And their non elderly relatives are also almost certainly vaccinated and over half of them are boosted. If so many are having Christmas severly disrupted by covid/omricon - and it seems they are as I've a very similar personal experience to yours - with 93% of the adults population vaccinated and over 50% boosted it strongly suggests protection against contagion is pretty shíte, boosted or no.

These vaccines are life savers, but they were always leaky. They reduced transmission, but not nearly enough to be able to ringfence outbreaks. This was far less a problem with Alpha and Delta which was harder to spread and catch. Now add in omricon which is significantly more contagious but thankfully much milder, in real terms it doesn't seem to really matter if you're only infectious for two days versus four. You are going to be exposed to this variant.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

It's anecdotal, but most of the COVID positive people I'm referring to are under 40 and not boosted.

It's unfortunate with hindsight that the booster campaign didn't start a couple of weeks earlier, but as usual NIAC were being super cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Had Pfizer booster on 23rd. Felt a tiny bit off sorts but now starting to have mild pain under my arm I got it in but also dull ache in both my calves. Can't put it down to anything but the booster. Would still take the 4th when required without question.

Thanks for this. I’m an anti-vaxxer, but we have to stop pretending that everyone on our team is doing good for the cause. If you are not willing to to get you body and immune system in shape then f** off to the other side and take the vaccines. Life is hard enough already without you (your mate’s Dad) dragging us down...

• Advertisement

Going on my anecdotal stuff excluding their kids, the covid positives and symptomatic are over 40 and all(but 2) vaccinated and most are boosted(and one guy who got such a bad reaction from his first jab, he never got any more). The only two I know who have been definitely exposed and more than once, possibly positive* but not symptomatic are me and one other guy, vaccinated but not boosted. Though maybe this posited "super immunity" is in play there. We're the only ones who had confirmed covid early this year and then got vaccinated in late summer, him with pfizer me with J&J.

However beyond the anecdotal, positive tests are going through the roof with omricon. And these are symptomatic people in the majority of cases and going by the stats the majority will have been vaccinated and a large percentage of them will have had boosters on top.

*I've had a few postives in antigen tests, but all my PCR's came back negative, so feck knows. No symptoms, beyond a thumping headache the saturday before last when I tested antigen positive, but it was gone by sunday and by Tuesday my PCR said nope.

Ok, well since our anecdotes disagree we can look at statistics.

COVID incidence decreasing in older age groups since the booster campaign started, plus primary school kids since masks were introduced.

At least that's what I see. For the sake of clarity, are you denying that boosters reduce incidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Maybe not as the first to get it would now have reduced immunity from picking up the infection when transmission is now bananas

Sure, it's arguable whether the effects on incidence are large or small, but not whether they exist at all.

At least that's what I see. For the sake of clarity, are you denying that boosters reduce incidence?

Not at all, but my feeling is not by that much. And at this stage with omricon in full flow in the population - and a population that's one of the most vaccinated and boosted in the EU - the water is filling the boat faster than we can hope to bail.

However I don't see that as a bad thing necessarily. If omricon is as mild as it looks and the vast majority of the vulnerable are protected from serious illness and death, omricon will "vaccinate" the population worldwide soon enough. And if the research into super immunity coming from having caught covid on top of being vaccinated plays out this omricon variant could be the very thing that takes us out of this pandemic.

My brother got Covid on 22nd and said he felt way worse after the 2nd vaccine which floored him for 3 days. He is delighted to have got natural immunity because he reckons he was close to getting a booster text (mid 40s).

Omicron gave him a headache and a sore throat and that was it. I know several people that have reported very mild symptoms. Hopefully its the end game.

Wibbs, have you a link to articles talking about super immunity for Vaccine+Natural? I'd love to read more about this. We will soon be having Omicron Pox parties the way things are going. Omicron does sound very mild.

Here's one Cluedo. It's also been found that those who recovered from SARS a decade ago who were then vaccinated against this pox also showed the same super immunity. I wouldn't be having pox parties yet mind you... Plus we don't know if catching covid first and then getting vaccinated works the same as the other way around. But the overall research looks hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I do not think I will go for any more jabs. I had the main 2 and the booster last Monday and now today am still dealing with the side effects, which are literally a royal pain in the rear end. I would not mind but un until now I have been very pro-vaccine.

Dan.

• Advertisement

I am hearing the same from a lot of friends and relatives.

Advertisement