Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭893bet

May be part of the script. Meh. If they got robbed they deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Same as that I stopped watching them after their PR stunt but I seen about their robbery on Instagram.Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s another stunt tbh.Travelling with $1m in what is as good as cash is crazy .You would think for trades of that value it would be done in a Secure location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I stopped watching TPG cause if got very boring after the stunt. But this is no supprise, they were warned a lot by Paul Thorpe to increase security and stop taking chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

The Cardashians.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'd rather buy more Bitcoin, but then I have no soul.

• Advertisement

Happy Christmas friends. Hope your having a restful day.

For those who like their watch bracelets spotless.

Lidl are selling ultrasonic cleaner machines for €25 from Thursday 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

“This guy will take a $200,000 Rolex and copy it, using stainless steel and other metals, so it looks like the original but costs maybe $2,000 to $3,000 per watch,”

They're paying over retail even for the fakes. That 'artisan' in central London is probably importing them from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Just remember to never put in a mechanical watch into those cleaners (water resistance should be fine but the shock would probably destroy or is highly likely to damage a mechanical movement, even if not immediately noticeable).

I use an ultrasonic cleaner for my wife's jewellery - especially silver that has tarnished - put in some baking soda and a bit of tinfoil and the tarnish will be chemically moved (so no silver lost) from the silver to the aluminium foil. Good for diamonds too - but no emeralds - natural emeralds almost always have cracks in them so the ultrasonic cleaner is likely to split apart emeralds (would be a costly mistake to make!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1000 on never putting a mechanical or quartz for tha matter into an ultrasonic cleaner. It'll almost certainly feck it up. They're great for cleaning bracelets and the amount of goo that will come out of one might shock some.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Having seen some scarily accurate fakes readied up by those into that from parts they buy online that cost 500-1000 all in quid he's slapping on a decent profit alright.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

So, why the hell is this board under the category "Science, Health & Environment"?

Because the measurement of time is a scientific endeavour and collecting watches is a healthy hobby provided it isn't taken too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The sub is more about the fashion/hobby part than measurement of time. I mean, it would be like saying a jewellery board should be in the geology section. Anyway, I think there was issues with the category before so probably can fall between a few boards.

This is definitely science . I can tolerate my wife and kids calling me a watch nerd but a fashion nerd would be a step too far .

Also considering I put more effort into choosing my watch for the day than my clothes for the day proves how little I know or care about fashion

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Question re: import duties.

Do they apply to a family member giving you a watch, if its being sent from abroad?

I appreciate Customs might have their own opinion of a watch coming into the country, but what if a brother wanted to send me his own watch from the US, and just posted it to me? Could that still incur charges?

Yes. It’s import duties rather than “sales” duties.

also in the above scenario with no sales docket it will be up to them to decide the “value” and how much you have to pay I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Great news everyone I'm now an affiliate of Meranom 😎 if anyone is looking to get a Vostok let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Does a watch bought from say amazon.de incur any charges on arrival?

Happy new year to all.¿...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭micks_address

Germany is in the eu so no import fees on items to Ireland

May I suggest that ye take 3 and half mins to watch what has to be one of the most aesthetically pleasing YouTube videos of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I know every second comment on the video is ‘Holy crap the GS Spring Drive is amazing’, but holy crap that GS Spring Drive is amazing…

Lovely Vid, great macro work

Yes if your eyes are marco lenses then they are great, however my human eyes see only boring polished cases and dreary designs. Everyone loves to praise GS but nobody loves to buy em.

You can see the jitter on most of those 'sweep' second hands but then who in real life looks at a watch using a macro lens while listening to not very good music?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I went into weirs on Tuesday and tried on a GS .I was expecting so much and left disappointed.To my eye there is nothing exceptional with the finish and didn’t feel any better in the hand than an omega or Tudor . It was one of the cheaper 9F movements but I believe all GS are finished to the same standard.

Looks like the hand wasn’t moving and the case was.

After been wearing a 2 hander for two weeks.

I miss a second hand.

IMHO the problem GS has is that they went for the boring Japanese middle manager conservative look(who would be a big market domestically for them). Now a brand like Rolex can afford to stay deeply conservative, because that's their market and they have an unassailable loyalty base that goes back 40 years with the same designs. Seiko simply can't do that, so they look like not quite there knockoffs. Their range looks like what an AI would come up with after being shown a load of mid tier Swiss watches. Thei diver GS looks like a generic diver Rolex with an aftermarket Seiko handset.

Seiko should have gone full Japanese cutting edge wacky and at that level of finishing and tech. To pound the car analogy for the umpteenth time Rolex are Mercedes, Seiko GS are Lexus. Technically the Lexuseseses are the superior car, but given a choice people will buy the Merc, because the Lexus looks like and is a knockoff aping the German car. Seiko should have gone something like full Civic Type R or Lexus LFA.

• Advertisement

100% this, I went into weirs money clutched in my little hands and tried on the snowflake....surely a watch so highly praised must be exceptional for a discerning collector like me...nope, instant Meah, boring, crap lightweight bracelets, case design from the 70's, top heavy and totally indistinguishable from any other Seiko for a 10th of the cost from wrist distance. This is why the GS crowd are so keen to immediately go to the macro finishing, cause there is nothing else. Every time I will have a watch that actually looks good in hand, and has a less than atomically perfect finish, than one with a great finish that looks like like crap.

Also Springdrive when you think about it is just quartz. Sure the quartz mechanism is powered via mechanically generated energy (seiko kenetic is still quartz), but just because you then decouple both mechanisms via a magnetic bridge, doesn't mean that its not just a mechaquartz that actually less accurate than a regular quartz.. Its like the i3 with the little twin stroke engine to generate power as a range extender. Sure the petrol never directly powers the wheels but its still not a electric car....cause guess what buddy you put petrol into it. If there is a quartz crystal in yer watch its a quartz watch.

I once or twice made my views known on Facebook watch groups....I am still healing from the wounds. Grand Seiko for me is a total con job, and the fawning of the watch media over them is bilious tripe. Not once have I seen any cogent argument, picture or held a GS that changed my mind. And once you get into the 12k plus chrono abominations....I am totally out.

Advertisement