Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Omicron variant

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In the recent/current cases I personally know it spread across a few households after two people came home from London for Christmas two weeks ago. London is and was the epicentre for omricon in these islands, so chances are extremely high it was omricon. It was also very mild including in two unvaccinated people(though they did have worse symptoms). Runny noses, bit of a fever and fatique were the main symptoms, only two got coughs and it spread like wildfire. Of those I know who caught covid pre vaccines early this year and before it seemed to be an odd mix of a minority with near zero symptoms, but the majority who were symptomatic were worse, had strong fevers and all got coughs, but no runny noses and it lasted much longer and took longer to come on.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

It seems to follow the 'berrie' trajectory in which a population finds out people are dying from eating red berries so the red berries are found and destroyed. Then the less deadly purple berries create issues so they are collected. The blue berries who still cause sickness but no deaths are then concidered a threat. In other words, the set bar changes with circumstances and new rules are created for them. One could argue about the need when seen in relation to the original red berries but that is usually forgotten.

I take issue with the continuing mission creep. Once you have succeeded people in complying with the first set of rules you have established a policy direction governments can implement again and the people will overall comply more easily. Couple it with fear and restrictions seem like the logical ones and the people resisting idiots.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

When will we be locked down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,522 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don't think there will be lockdown. Certainly not like last year. Maybe some additional restrictions but probably not. Things are looking better than later year and better than the central scenario. Pretty optimistic, all in all.

Why do you think there will be lockdown?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

An ICU nurse said system on verge of being over whelmed

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

As in because of ICU staff out isolating/ testing positive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Seems like your fallacy is in comparing Covid to something that is and was only found out after the fact of ingesting. It was once thought tomatoes were poisonous so people didn't eat them. In fact the roots, leaves, and to an extent the unripened fruit of the tomato plant is poisonous. It would take a good quantity of the plant to cause death and that is in much the same way that Covid is deadly to what some here will call a minority in society - the difference being it would take only a small quantity of the dangerous parts of the tomato plant to kill them. In general though if something has been tasted and it is bitter then it will likely cause you problems, so it comes down to the scale of it. Covid is wide spread so it is large scale, you will be hard pressed to find anywhere in the world that has recorded 0 cases in their society. In comparison to dangerous foraging activities; being infected by Covid from lack of social awareness and or the complete lack of cautiousness is the equivalent of looking at someone eating that poisonous fruit and not telling them it will kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

I was curious as to why we have one of the very highest incidence levels on the planet, so took a look at the much-maligned mobility data. I think I found at least part of the answer. Our current restrictions are almost entirely based on what google terms "Retail & Recreation". Ie: Hospitality.

And I'm not sure exactly why, but they do not appear to have worked AT ALL.

Here's every EU country plus a few others like the UK and Norway

For a bit more clarity, here's the same chart but featuring only European omicron hotspots. Oh, and the Netherlands just for illustrative purposes (they're in a harsh lockdown)

We are an outlier. Big time. Around December 13th our behaviour seemingly started to become increasingly less risk adverse in many ways. The exact opposite intent of the restrictions applied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Solution a) HSE finally deals with our hospital capacity or b) impose unnecessary restrictions on the entire population to cover their own inefficiency.

• Advertisement

Guess it's like last orders. If you predict ridiculous restrictions based on past behaviour, go and do stuff now.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

and u know this why... because they said it...i wouldnt put it past the unvaccinated to downplay their symptoms to prove a point

there wont be... the vaccinations doing their job... there may be a return to remote education etc. to stop the spread etc but omnicron is mild in those who are vaccinated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Less than 4% of the adult population is unvaxxed. Not a good control group but a mere scattering of people with very little sense.

And your anecdotal report isn't borne out by any facts. People choosing not to be vaccinated endanger our elderly and weakest. Not cool.

91 people in ICUs, nowhere near capacity. Hospital numbers going up but will only be overwhelmed if staff illnesses due to Covid.

i do have one question though. being vaccinated protects yourself but it doesnt protect others as the virus can still be caught and spread regardless of vaccination status. so yes if you are unvaccinated you are doing yourself a disservice for sure and the HSE and healthcare of course, and of course the virus is mutating in the unvaccinated but as to a danger to the population at large - i think its doubtful what disservice you are doing towards them as u can catch and spreard this thing regardless of whther you are vaccinated or not. I think everyone should be vaccinated by the way - but you can still catch and spread the thing is my point- so we can blame the unvaccinated to a point- but the vaccines are only going so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,028 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The Dutch Govt are only taking it seriously the last few months, the people largely aren't bothered.

We have consistently had a very high level of testing. Other countries haven't really bothered for a lot of the time.

There will be no lockdowns, they might delay school and universities for a week to spread out the rate of infection but that's about it.

Early January isn't noted for being a social time in a normal year.

We're high because we're testing heavily. The PCR tests are free and we have the capacity for widespread centres checking people. The five worst countries in the EU, all in Central and Eastern Europe (Bulgaria, Romania, Poland, Slovakia and Czech Republic) all have far less peer capita cases than us but an exponentially higher current death rate than us. In the case of Poland six times, Slovakia eleven times and Bulgaria a whopping thirty times.

Focus on the deaths. Ireland is currently at the rate of eight a day.

Eh, no.

Czech rep. and Sovakia test WAY more than us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Question.

If ICU nurses are off and not unwell, why can't they work in covid wards/icu etc.

If both parties already have it then what's the point in isolation (if not sick)

When vaccinated you carry the viral load for a much shorter period, hence far less likely to pass it on. Thus the more people who are vaccinated the less likely it is to pass on.

I wouldn't be surprised if they shorten the required isolation length for health care staff

I think they'll have to

Guess it is about the non Covid in ICU and the other staff.

already doing that in US - 5 days for health care workers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Have you ever been to an ICU? Because I have, and there's no way covid and non covid people are beside each other and if they were then it wouldn't matter about covid nurses as the patients would be exposed already. Covid positive nurses could absolutely treat covid patients without interacting with non covid patients although Travelling to and from work, breaks, toilets etc would be harder.

They have mandated all HCW to wear ffp2 masks so I think there is something in the pipelines in regards to isolation.

*I've been in ICU not for covid reasons btw

• Advertisement

Completely untrue. You have to be symptomatic and sent by a GP for a PCR test in Slovakia and Czech because there's a backlog and they don't have the testing capacity. If you can't get a health service test you have to pay privately for a PCR which is between €45 and €60, very expensive for those two countries.

Slovakia today has 1,221 cases and 47 deaths

Czech has 2,011 and 22 deaths

Ireland has 6,735 and no deaths. The average for the past week has been 8 deaths.

We're testing far more and thus getting far more positive cases. The aforementioned five Slavic countries aren't testing greatly so their case numbers are enormously underestimated. The death rates are a multitude of times higher than ours (lower numbers for them above than recently as some administrative staff and coroners off over Xmas) and will only increase over the next 5/6 weeks.

Advertisement