Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Matrix Resurrections (with Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Lana Wachowski)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Oh my, from 17/ 18 seconds in that video. was that terrible acting done on purpose so he wouldn't be hounded to do yet another matrix movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Only my opinion, but while as you say mgs2s story gained a new appreciation as years went by, it was still a good game when it was released. Gameplay was amazing as was the graphics and over all presentation.

Even if people appreciate the movie more in the future. It still suffers from the meta stuff too much and takes a good hour before it gets going.

Trinity being the macguffin was a little thin too. But then again, the last movie ended with peace after an all out war. If you are going to reboot the franchise you don't want to shoot your bolt in the first reboot. Gotta make more money from sequels, tv shows, games etc. So I guess the trinity thing could get a pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

A poorly written, poorly shot mess with bad acting, bad dialogue and almost nothing connecting it to the trilogy. Everything now revolves around the Neo/Trinity love story, because it's 2021 and of course it does. Trinity is basically the new One, because of course she is.

The iconic martial arts fights of the trilogy are gone and replaced with lazy, Jason Bournesque scuffles....but worse.... and with far too much CGI. Zero character development. You won't remember anyone from this cast and you will care about them even less. Zero tension or payoffs throughout. At no point, will you feel any of these characters are in any danger. Agents are now just window dressing.

Felt like a bunch of 1st year film students with an axe to grind about the Hollywood industry/patriarchy, were given the green light to do a Matrix sequel. It's easier to view it as a spoof than anything belonging to the canon. It is exactly what I expected it to be a few months back. Just another generic, cobbled together, lazy superhero blockbuster wrapped in a Matrix costume, which will be given a pass if not an ovation by plenty of people simply because it's "subversive" and the director is "brave for taking on the man"......... When in reality it's just a chance to give two fingers to the studio and the fans and pocket a shed load of cash in the process. This film is a microcosm of the continuing breakdown of American society. An absolute shítshow.

In relation to the matrix being subversive. The original was subversive from the get go so Wachowski progressing along that line makes absolute sense.

I feel like I need the red pill to fully understand wtf I just watched. It was good, great, perhaps ingenius, yet I couldn’t tell you at all what it was about other then ‘love conquers all’ which ultimately was a really nice way to end it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭kerplun k

It was grand.

The Matrix is a classic, so I’d be interested in any new Matrix content.

Unfortunately it’s nowhere near as good as the first film. Lana Wachowski has lost the ability to direct and is stuck in TV mode here. The editing is laughable, with some slow motion scenes are done to comedic effect. It’s like an amateur filmmaker slowing down random bits to highlight a scenes importance. It really takes you out of the experience. The script was a good effort, Lana said what she wanted to say and weaved it into a credible Matrix story, but the execution was very poor. Especially in the first 30 minutes where it almost felt like a bad SNL sketch.

Having just watched the new Chucky TV show, this bizarrely reminded me of Don Mancinis Seed of Chucky in where you had a very definitive genre franchise get turned on its head into a campy self-referential parody film that takes aim at the entertainment industry.

While disappointing. there is enough here for Matrix fans to enjoy a revisit to the franchise, but Its one those films that’s better enjoyed if your expectations are dialled right down and you focus on what the film gets right and embrace the campiness of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,783 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I must say that overall I enjoyed it.

The score was good, the story was ambitious if slightly confusing, and there were alot of good ideas, but it has quite alot of flaws.

The new Morpheus and Smith are no match for the old ones, Hugo Weaving, Laurence Fishburne and even Joe Pantoliano are 3 excellent actors and whilst the new cast are ok they are a major downgrade.

The action scenes were a big downgrade from the Trilogy. Badly choreographed and edited. They looked like a cheap TV show.

Jada Pinkett as Niobe was awful.

The bots are a serious downgrade on the Agents in both tension and menace. Did anyone actually die in the film, the bots were literally like zombies and easily defeated.

I'm not sure how Smith was still around, wasn't he destroyed at the end of the last film. Why was he kept so near Neo ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The absence of that iconic "Matrix" distinctiveness and visual flair is what did the most damage here, watched purely as a spectacle; in fact sometimes the movie looked kinda generic, rote even. While that feeling of redundancy, trying to make a sequel to blockbuster cinema's most transformative modern film was never far away ... but even so, this was still nowhere near the disaster being painted in some quarters.

A adjunct to a trilogy was only going to underwhelm at best so by the metrics of extra chapters nobody asked for, I couldn't overly fault the attempt to weave a famously convoluted myth into a proper coda, however superfluous. Maybe the "meta" aspects chaffed others more than it did me, but I had to applaud the nerve of Lana Wachowski to write a script about how hard it is to write a studio mandated sequel. With its characters aware of the internal mythology, but not fawning towards it (unlike The Force Awakens, for example).

The action was OK, nothing more - and in any other series that might have been forgiveable. I found myself wondering about the budget or resources, as the end result lacked any of the grandiosity or aggressive swagger of that original set of films. It kept hurting the pulse of the thing - though the finale having a more personal, intimate focus rang better than the overblown excess of the third film.

It is weird having Warners of all people produce a movie effectively decrying our increasingly arrested development and dependence on nostalgia - but anything vocalising my increasing hatred of our collective infantilised, recycled pop culture gets a thumbs up from me. Can't say this will be a rediscovered gem in 10 years, but the criticisms feel unearned for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Tried to watch this last night, was so very excited, what an utter letdown :(

Watched about 50 minutes of it before switching to some Goldbergs to cheer me up. Why did they obsess on the damn red and blue pills over and over?, once was enough, but over and over again just took away from the idea, somehow it seemed like a parody (a boring one at that) of the originals.

/end rant.

I'll probably give it another go anyhow.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Kind of a nothing movie. It didn't really make much sense in so far as to try and explain how the characters ended up where they were at the start. Didn't really explain what had happened to neo/trinity/smith that they were all still in the matrix. Kind of felt like a lazy cash in tbh.

Having said the above, it wasn't awful. It just wasn't good either. Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Smith no, but we got a whole monologue explaining when and how Neo and Trinity came back. The why was a bit vague, but best I interpreted it, seemed to come down to their combined power

fuelling this iteration of the Matrix's power output to the machines; "the suits" being pleased with the Analyst's methods. I got the impression Smith was seen as the antagonist who would counter Neos own power. So all three were kept dumb but providing the Machine City with that energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Neo and Trinity died 60 years ago during the events of Revolutions. The new versions are clones built by the machines to act as a power generator for a new version of the Matrix. This is why new Neo had both eyes intact. He's not real. Smith in a human body burnt his eye of out his socket in the last film.

As for how and why Smith is in the film, don't know. All I know is the actor who played him isn't fit to carry Hugo Weavings Jock strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I thought Neo and Trinity were kept alive, healed and their aging slowed. Wasn't there a flash of Neo's eyes being healed?

Don't think so. They constructed him using lasers. At one point his chest cavity was hollowed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It fits right in with the £200m blockbusters for streaming platforms instead of cinema that are the most meh 5 out of 10 movies ever that are now becoming so commonplace on HBO, Netflix, Prime, Disney etc that all hope will catch the imagination of the viewer so they can universe build and pump out content.

They arent clones, they are the original bodies healed and with bio implants.

There's a sequence that literally shows neo being cloned. They are clones, replicants or regenerated duplicates. . There were no bodies until after the machine civil war 60 years later. Thats when the analyst made them out of organic matter for the purpose of generating energy.

I'm confident they're not clones. In the flashbacks, we clearly saw moments of Nero's previously burned-out eyes being repaired, so that reads like they were the dead bodies being slowly, painfully revived; hence the various open wounds etc. IIRC the narration also said it wasn't easy and took ages to achieve resurrection.

It's literally impossible for them to be anything other than clones. The fact the analyst created them both around the same time proves it.

Because when Trinity died the analyst didn't even exist. So how could he have her body? Trinity died in zion with the humans. Her body is still buried in zion somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Trinity was in the Hammer that crash landed (and impaled her) in the machine city with Neo.

The plot makes no sense, but it does imply they were revived originals rather than clones.

• Advertisement

Yes, thats exactly what happened.

It shows the damaged dead bodies being repaired. Both of Neos eyes are burnt out then one is burnt out then that is repaired. The back of his skull is removed too, you can see his brain being worked on. Later there is a hole in his chest where I presume his heart is being worked on or they are trying to extract the source code.

They are called resurrection pods, not cloning pods.

It would be relatively straight forward and cheap to clone Neo and Trinity but as the Analyst said it took years to achieve resurrection.

Trinity died in the machine city when she and Neo crashed their ship, getting impaled by a spike for her trouble. In either case ... 🤷 Like I said, we see Neo's burns being healed; were Neo a clone he'd have been factory fresh, as it were. The Machines presumably took both dead bodies for storage (he was carted away at the end of Revolutions) and at some point the Analyst decided a catalyst for productivity was Neo, then Trinity too when it was realised she (and Smith) were required to keep Neo in check.

We don't know how long the resurrection process took; it was 60 years after the events of the 3rd film, so seems like reviving a human probably took a lot of poking and prodding.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Holy **** !

What the fcuk was that ?

Think the last couple minutes are probably the worst thing ever witnessed by human eyeballs.

Preceeding two hours only marginally less so. What a horrible, albeit predictable, mistake.

Where she died is besides the point really. The main point is that she is dead, as is Neo. The machines can't bring humans back from the dead, they can only produce artificial recreations of them. I.e clones.

If Trinity was real she would have been a geriatric like Niobe.

Who says they can't? Human beings have clearly been reduced to the role of mechanisms by the machines; it's not that inconceivable they managed to Frankenstein some result from dead tissue. They already have complete understanding and control of the human brain. The whole premise is itself a huge philosophical swing in the first place. And as said, the movie made pains to show this was "our" Neo, painfully restored after his sacrifice; the narrative tells us this.

And re. timing: the Analyst said it took years; the dead flesh wouldn't have aged (and was presumably preserved as the machines worked using sci-fi magic) but IIRC, Neo said he was aware of 20 years passing, conveniently to accommodate the actors' ageing? Bugs said it was 60 since the siege of Zion ergo we can infer it took 30 years to finally get Neo and Trinity restored to life.

You're free to say they're clones but TBH the movie made it pretty clear they were the original dead bodies, painfully restored to life over years of work. Then allowed to age within the matrix over 20 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Underwhelming. The meta stuff has been done before and doesn't really amount to anything. The heart of the film is a story about Neo trying to find Trinity and the Matrix weaponising Neo's story to keep the Matrix running which is a solid premise but the movie doesn’t know what to do with it and quickly reverts into a rehash of the original only worse and with all of the stakes gone.

I liked Jessica Henwick and some of the action sequences are good though not on the level of the previous films. Fishburne, Weaving, Bill Pope, and Don Davis are badly missed. Why Smith and Morpheus are even in the film is a mystery to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Agreed on this, they were refurbished in the real world and placed back to their resting spots.

Its a similar situation to when Teddy gave the hair follicle to those aliens and they used it to clone David's mother. She looked , acted and felt like Davids mother , but she was obviously only a recreation. Neo and Trinity in Resurrections were the same as David's mother , only way more advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Have you even watched the films?

The Analyst was the new Architect, he even says that in the film.

Trinity died in the machine city impaled in the ship crashed into the machine tower not Zion and there would have been absolutely no way of her body getting to Zion!

The machines repaired both bodies, again this was explained in the film by the Analyst (Architect) at length with footage showing the repairs to the body! Or do you genuinely think they cloned them, redid all of the damage and then repaired the clones???

EDIT: I see others have also pointed this out. They must have seen the films too 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

What makes you think Neo died? That was one of the outstanding questions for the Trilogy.

Realistically he can’t have been dead, if having Smith convert him to another Smith killed him, that would then mean every single human in the matrix died and the machines would have zero energy.

Advertisement