Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So who has covid? Nov 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Did anyone have a tightness in upper chest as a first symptom ? Any tips to ease it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 denor2013

I did a positive antigen test yesterday evening and was trying to book a pcr test too at midnight. I managed to get one in Ardee, the text was taking ages to come through. If you select for the code to be emailed to you instead it comes through immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 23 LanceVance

Tested positive this morning (antigen) after about 4 days of symptoms. Was out last Friday (8 days ago) which is all I can trace to (1 other tested positive of the group but much sooner than me). Seems delayed but works with symptoms, just not test (was antigen testing every day since then for the week that's in it). Does this mean my isolation ends in 6 days (presuming no more symptoms and negative test)?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

To me, yes it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Had symptoms last week (bit of a sore throat) so had been doing antigens which were all negative. Did a PCR test on Monday 20th Dec which came back negative on Weds 22 Dec. Went about my business, met a few people but not that many. Got my booster on 23rd Dec and continued to do antigens as I was coming home to my parents for Xmas. Did antigens on Christmas eve and Christmas day as I had a bit of a headcold and was just trying to be cautious. Did another antigen this morning and it's positive. Did a second brand and it's also positive. So annoyed. Can't get a pcr test anywhere but assuming I have it anyway with two positive antigens. Its so strange that I had a pcr test last week...obviously picked it up between then and now. No idea how long I have it for or of I'm over the worst or what. Was with 2 friends on Xmas eve who are still fine and was with my parents and brother yesterday who all tested negative. What a head ****. Bo idea when my 10 days started from etc if I cant get a pcr as iv had some sort of symptoms for about 2 weeks now in total. I'm guessing I'm at the most contagious phase now given that the antigens picked it up today all of a sudden. Feeling v sorry for myself locked in my childhood bedroom .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

That’s rubbish. You might have had another cold with symptoms before this giving symptoms? Incubation period of omicron is very short. Also you didn’t drink orange juice before taking them did you?

I'm nearly afraid to do antigen tests at moment. There Was much more mixing in last few days than I’d planned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Didn't drink OJ at all, just had a coffee. I think it's safe to say I have it when both antigens were positive this morning. I just find it strange it was negative yesterday and all week. I must have just had a regular cold when I got the PCR last week. Wonder am I at peak level of being contagious now. Pain in the ass not to be able to get a PCR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I was told that you are peak contagious before the antigen, but I really have no clue. If you have what I have, you will not feel too bad and be over it very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

I've been isolating all week with partner. She had symptoms from Monday....sore throat and cough and blocked nose. She tested positive on antigen while I was negative. We both went for PCR Thursday and on Friday she got positive result and I got a negative. I have done antigen tests everyday and have been negative until all of a sudden it is positive today. I have no symptoms and she is pretty much over her bout. I guess I will have to try and get another PCR in the next few days. Was hoping to be out of isolation for new years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

How long does it take to become contagious with this variant ?

Mother in law is waiting to do pcr tomorrow. We were in her house Xmas eve for an hour. that's the only place we've been but she had been at a family gathering earlier on in the week. She has covid symptoms now and apparently other family members that were at the gathering have tested positive too

I'd only done a pcr on Wed because we didn't want to be bring covid down to them.

Would we be considered close contacts if she is positive? So far all antigen tests have been negative .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Otrivine? Or what. That's basically my only symptom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭eggy81

Anyonecelse getting very sore sinuses from this and head stuffed but not running

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Haven't got it according to PCR test last week, and did a lateral flow test on Christmas Eve and today and still negative.

However I have terrible terrible cold and headache and pain in my teeth all of a sudden and someone else in the household also has the same symptoms, but also has tested negative.

May just be a cold, but it's come on quite intensive and I rarely get colds.

Only of those bottles you stick up your nose. I do it in the morning and there is a fair bit of blood that comes out along with the other stuff. I think it is a saline mix of sorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

absolute joke.

had it back in August, pre vaxxed. was a very mild flu for two days.

took an antigen Xmas morning before going down to the folks, feckin positive. done another one, also positive...

i had a runny nose a few days ago, ffs. this is ridiculous, just got the PCR done now, have a feeling that will come back negative.

if this is the big bad new variant then fooook me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

my friend has pos pcr in nov

today pos antigen

his head is mashed

two neg anti gen just now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I'm still negative but I'm wondering do GPs give any advise to overcome Covid at home? I hear about this protocol to treat Covid at the early stages and thus avoiding hospitalization, does anyone know how this work in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Amias

i have never ever heard Omicron being referred to as the big bad new variant.

Only ever heard it being referred to as Milder compared to Delta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Yes i do first hand.... Got sick 6.12. confirmed pcr 7.12. kids confirmed positive 12.12

Now gp...if you get through them are useless... They gave me no advice but said if it get worse call ambulance. I rang them 3 times during our time.... No help whatsoever and my hearth was bleeding as nothing for my kids but looking at them and praying that the cough will go on its own....

While we took vit c...vit d....zinc..and plenty of herbal tea...i mean a lot... During and before... We are very lucky we are over it.my 3y old have still small cough here and there but nothing like before.. But i am surprised that being 2 years into it..there is nothing..i mean absolutely nothing....

And getting to speak to Gp is torture....but thats for another topic..

I would think there is at least some kind of guideline....i mean there should be...but for now they throw you out there hoping for best....

I hope that explain it to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

start your isolation period from the date ur first antigen is positive i guess, you can assume you are probably a couple of days into it at least so maybe check again in 7 and 8 days with antigen and if both negative you should be o k

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I had a similar experience. One positive (was symptomatic and immediately booked PCR after this), two negatives, two positives and a negative before I went for the PCR yesterday (Happy Christmas) and that came back positive.

I spoke to a few friends of mine who have it as well and some of them had the same. I think it depends on what antigen you have because there does appear to be some sensitivity issues for Omicron.

At the moment it's very mild for me. Chesty cough and a bit warm. Although I did struggle to go up the stairs to the bathroom earlier but once I'm sat down/laying down I'm ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Posted this on the restrictions thread but it's also relevant here.

Lads, this is all bollocks at this stage. This Omicron thing is everywhere. I've never known so many people on a personal level at one time to have Covid. Not one of them is in any way bad. I have it myself now (antigen positive), so I'm isolating away with the exact symptoms I've had throughout my life any time I've had a cold. I'm drinking a beer, watching NFL and stuffing my face with popcorn and chocolate. 5 years ago I got influenza at Christmas and it wiped out my entire Christmas - I couldn't get off the couch for about 4 or 5 days. It was pure misery. This is essentially a cold.

I'm not even sure what they are even trying to achieve anymore with this contact tracing. It's akin to trying to put out a burning building with a squirt gun. It's not going to achieve anything. This variant is milder, more transmissible and everyone is going to come in contact with it. The sooner people accept that the quicker we can get out lives back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

I can't get a PCR appointment for love nor money. Spent an hour from 12-1am this morning trying and the website just hung/ crashed on me at various stages throughout.

Are there any other options besides the official HSE test? What's the downside to just isolating on the basis I have it? I'm positive (pun intended) that I do.

I'd be happy enough to just not bother with the PCR but i'm slightly worried that not being able to prove that I've recovered from it will be detrimental in some way in future re travel etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,156 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You can get a private test from one of the travel test providers but not if you have symptoms or a positive test already. Obviously there's a risk of spreading it to the test centre staff and other customers.

If you don't have a positive PCR then there's nothing stopping you from getting a booster so future travel shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Your pcr will still be positive next week, just isolate for now and book the test when it's less crazy. You will have your pcr and be over your isolation

It’s not going to be less crazy next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

You sound like our politicians.... So if i have this should we not cancel gp all together and we can all go online and see... You dont understand the situation....there should be some kind of package to be sent to each patient.....that will include information and at least basic medication....vitamins etc.... This would save more lives then closing the pubs at 8...

Note i am not drinking for 12 years... It was just point to make...

• Advertisement

I agree . There should be clear and prescise advice online. What to take and when you need a phone a GP . I am well aware what to do and when to worry and bought a O2 saturation monitor last year . But many dont know and need clear advice and guidance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There's plenty information there. Essentially treat the symptoms, if there are any, as you would if you had the same symptoms with a standard cold or flu. If the symptoms continue to get worse seek medical advice/ambulance.

Taking vitamins should be part of a regular routine, not just when you are sick.

I don't need politicians or the HSE to tell me any of this.

I was a close contact last Saturday, tested positive the 22nd and today negative on the antigen.

my smell is returning also, along with my taste.

will do another antigen tomorrow but pretty sure I’m over the worst of it. If I had been back home in Vancouver, my isolation period would be up today, it’s only 7 days from first symptoms if you are double vaxxed, I began to feel a head cold coming on last Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Pretty sure your friend can't rely on any test. If he only had it in November he either still has some latent virus in his system or he is a medical first to catch it twice in two months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I had a positive antigen (feint but visible line) yesterday eve. I then took another test and that was negative. Took a different brand this morning and its also negative. What am I meant to read into that? Been trying since midnight to get a pcr and can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Think you're supposed to assume you're positive. Frustrating but any trace of a positive should be treated as a positive.

Thanks. I have symptoms but I have a cold for a good 10 days at this stage. Had anyone managed to get a pcr lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,621 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Had it been 30 minutes for sure since you had anything to eat / drink / gum / lozenge / mouthwash? That can cause false positive.

And you blew nose to get enough gunk in the nostrils for the swab?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Could be that you had it and are on the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I got one for me and my two kids on Thursday but had to do them in different centres. Had to try for ages. Appointments were appearing but you click on them and they were already gone. Eventually got there and I have to say that the test centres were brilliantly organised (aside from the clueless jobsworth who booked me in in Sandyford...long story).

Hope you get sorted and it's negative. Feel better and stay safe.

Yes that happened me several times today. Just did another antigen and it was negative so I'm tending to vere towards not having it.

Couldn't answer any of those honestly. Can't even recall now. But yes could well have even a user issue.

I tested late Christmas eve top as we had family visiting and it was negative so I doubt I've had it.

If you tested even a faint line on an antigen, it is to be assumed to be positive.

I know. And yet I've had 3 subsequent negatives (1 immediately after). Its hard to doubt 3 negatives surely?

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter though, only way to know would be a PCR. But at this stage, it probably doesn't matter. Be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Took an antigen test today before going back to work tomorrow it's positive took another to be sure ....again positive

Feel a bit off ...a kinda like dirty slightly sore throat ....

But run 5k every other day and biked 30k today

Am I only starting off here ? ...... vaxxed and boosted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Get a PCR test and don’t go to work tomorrow

Yes very same start as mine . Vaxed and boostered and it still got me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

• Advertisement
Advertisement