Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I like both The Christmas Shoes and 2000 Miles, but much more so the latter!

We all have our different tastes in songs.

I would be very happy never to hear Dolly Parton's Holly Jolly Christmas again. I saw Lady A's version being performed in a music channel a few days ago. That would have a better version to play on Christmas FM. Personally, I would be delighted never to hear again Merry Christmas Everyone by Shakin' Stevens or I Wish It Could be Christmas Everyday by Wizzard. I have also grown extremely tired of Fairtytale of New York by The Pogues and Kirsty McColl. Interestingly, I did not hear it as much on Christmas FM this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Funnily enough, I feel the same about Fairytale. I don't like it half as much anymore. I think the main reason is I associate it with nights out with gangs of people roaring it out later in the evening after a few jars, same with Slade, Wizzard etc.

Last year and this year I've really gone back to listening to the old classics or the early 80s songs which remind me of childhood.

Some of the new songs are dire. A lot of others got played ad nauseam this year and last.

Listening to the top 40 now and I'm thinking "is it most requested or most played?"

Quite a big difference!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Into the last 10 minutes for Christmas FM 2021... always a lump in the throat moment when the radio goes silent...

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

FONY tops the countdown again... its traditional at this stage 😀

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It starts and ends in the blink of an eye!! 😮

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Doesn’t it just. I need to savour it more and more each November/early December.

Hectic year this year for me but next year I should have no excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Still think it should stay on until the end of Christmas, which isn't for another 9 days!

At least it's still live online I guess.

I think the combination of FM and online broadcasts means the ending is sometimes a bit messy, like this evening!

I wonder how strict the 7pm deadline is for FM for licensing purposes. It seems like there was so much more to come from the DJ but it ended so suddenly.

• Advertisement

Similar last year only the signal overran and we got half of another song before the signal was stopped.

This year I got the impression there was more planned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭StevenToast

You are a fascinating bunch in here...admirable childlike love of xmas...i lost that spirit 20 odd years ago and cant get it back......im always pleased to see the back of it and knock it on the head for another year.....

Christmas FM was very poor this year...i dont like that ashling one at xmas eve saying where in the world santa is....my lies dont match her lies...

Im telling the kids santa hasnt left yet and shes saying hes in Azerbaijan!🤯

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Ha, just turned it on and only getting hissing , didn't know it finished, wish it could go to new year.

You can follow Santa on the NORAD Santa Tracker, that way you know where he is and they can follow him. If you're telling the kids on Christnas Eve that Santa hasn't even left yet, that can't make sense though because by the time we get up, Australian children have already gone to bed!

You come into the Christmas forum and express fascination at the fact that the people here love Christmas.

I'll have to pop over to the Golf forum and see if the folks there like a bit of golf. 😂

Still available with live DJs online, on the app and Alexa until 1am New Year’s Day.

Shout out to Celine Weldon who had the unpleasurable task of the 7pm-10pm shift after the FM shutoff but she did great. The mix of music has been fantastic and her dj style is a pure tonic.

Have or will Christmas FM be publishing this year's Top 40 anywhere? If not, could anyone post it up here? I only got a tiny bit of it yesterday. I love a good countdown!

Endured the annual switching back to Nova/newstalk when greeted by silence in the car today, always a task that I don't look forward to.

Is it 1am on NYD the online service with DJs ends?

• Advertisement

I did already but, when I click on The Applegreen Christmas Countdown (under the On Air drop down list), all I find is it asking people to tune in on December 27th for the countdown! Maybe it has not been updated yet.... or there is some other link I did not spot!

https://christmasfm.com/countdown/

It is indeed 1am NYD

DJs have been awesome online since FM switch off. Proper party vibes. The pressure must be off.

Agree. The playlist has improved significantly.

Can’t believe there’s only 2 days of ChristmasFM left online. Gonna miss it keeping me company throughout the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I haven't been using my car much over Christmas, I turned it on earlier and the radio was silent, I still had it tuned to Christmas FM. I mainly listen online, so I'd kinda forgotten the FM transmitter had been switched off. It made me sad.

Cracking tunes again tonight as I was sorting the kitchen and making dinner. Can’t believe just one day left now. Will dust off my Christmas 2021 playlist as that rarely got a look in this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Sad listening to one of the presenters earlier saying "well that's it from me until next year..."

Better than one presenter I heard earlier during the week who said please god we will be back next year to do this all again.

I was like please don’t toy with me….

Final show tonight is on 10pm-1am. Wish there was a way to record it for playback later. They just play all the hits to close it out.

• Advertisement

Is there no closing words on the online version? Thought there was last year, but could be imagining that or thinking of the little Christmas day they had.

Advertisement