Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Omicron variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah I'd say it'd be hard to isolate them completely from non Covid staff and patients, and trying to do so would likely make it difficult to do their jobs properly.

It will end up making a pure farce of the governments advice to stay home,test and isolate

If simutaneously,they say to healthcare professionals,which will be dealing with sickest,most high risk group in ICU,to go to work with covid......whatever hope they have of keeping those skeptical of restrictions onside will mostly evaporate overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭deeperlearning

The UK press considers Ireland in lockdown as pubs and restaurants are required to close at 8 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

We need to get vaccine three now and vaccine four in say February-March.

We need to forget about vaccine one and two and stop calling vaccine three a booster. It’s negative calling them boosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

I am nearly finished with covid. I have 2 more days. I got 2 vaccines. Covid was just as easy to deal with for me. I will not be getting 3 4 5 6 100 and most people in my age group won't be either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

The UK press is often inaccurate. At least they're consistent in that.

The fourth vaccine will be the last one needed. Do your bit and get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,826 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Debatable : that would only happen in the event of the virus vanishing in the next 6-12 months (which doesn't look very likely).

• I went away to Tenerife for the few days over the festivities, naturally a lot of loops to jump through, but the welcome there was very warm, spent a lot of time outdoors or in extremely well ventilated indoors spaces. In meantime my extended family, some of whom I might otherwise have spent Christmas with, had an unfortunate time as several were struck down with Covid, albeit in mild form. But it meant 2 families spent Christmas locked in isolation in various rooms of the houses, with Christmas dinner being placed outside the door, and chatting over WhatsApp, scheduling toilet visits not to coincide too close in time and all sorts of practicalities one does not like to be dealing with around Christmas Day. Yes, I had to have Antigen test, a 15 minute taxi journey from hotel in Tenerife, but all fine very efficiently. The risk was that I would have had to endure an extended stay in my nice 5* room with a balcony (or an alternative designated hotel likely with a balcony) and pay for it plus for an extra flight and more tests, but it would have been partially covered by my health insurance and in any case I had factored it in the possible overall cost.

Hoping I’m right in imagining the newest measures are a cautious overkill, and some day we will have to really just try and get on with living or there will be economic ruin.

There was a very enthusiastic reception for visitors to Tenerife, the mood is entirely upbeat there, I got a relative bargain as Canaries usually tend to not be so affordable this time of year. It is fortunate though that they have the climate for better coping with the virus.

The people hit with it were out of action for 2-3 days, vomiting, green complexion. Positive PCR. And a couple more days afterwards still not feeling great.

If you think someone in the same household could have this and somehow "downplay" or hide it, you are delusional. The unvaxxed ended up caring for the vaxxed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭amandstu

Anyone feel that Delta may be waning?

87% omicron and under 7000 cases today just gives 1000 for Delta.

Just one day of course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

50% PCR cases coming back positive, that’s surely the highest it’s ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

you said yourself this was a small group so I wouldnt rely on what they say as definitive - i'd rather listen to statistics and medical professionals which say you have a better chance with this if you are vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭amandstu

Yes,feels like it.

Be there or be square(sorry to be flippant)

Do my bit for who? I've done my bit for 2 years. I've got covid and for me it was a cold. It's my turn to be selfish now and live my life not worrying about your nanny I never met. And I mean that with upmost respect, but I don't owe strangers anything nor will I grieve the death of strangers. My family is fine and it's OK to be selfish. No more vaccines. If people are afraid they might catch it from me or others then they can be selfless and stay home

That's ridiculous, if they all had covid they should have all been together not isolating.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭iwasliedto

Was talking with an ICU in KK last week, she said that they were very quiet with only 3 virus cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Why did you have to take an antigen test to travel to Teneriffe from Ireland.

You do not need one if you have your vaccination cert.

• Omicron is absolutely rampant. I’m getting text after text telling me of households coming down with Covid, the latest just being my next door apartment neighbour. At least I can easily leave stuff outside their door. These folk thankfully are not very sick, but isolated because of social & government requirement s. In the middle of me typing this yet another text has popped up. Universally the folk are a bit off colour and tired or sniffly, but nothing serious, and still able to eat, quite unlike eh a typical influenza where even trying to text could be undoable.

• It is an absolute requirement to regain entry to Ireland (eg from Spain where I was) to have a recent clear Covid test result. I travelled over on 22nd, had an Antigen test at the airport on Christmas Eve, and travelled home late yesterday. If you didn’t have your digital negative Cert you were turned away from either check-in or boarding. The airport staff are up to their eyes overseeing that all boarding jumped through all the hoops.

Yesterday the requirements for me to board Ryanair Tenerife Sur to Dublin were:

Boarding Pass

Passport

Covid Vaccine Cert

Ireland Locator Form

Negative Covid Cert (any type of officially carried out test carried out within two previous days)

I would not recommend travelling with kids. Yes travel as a couple or in a very small group providing you are prepared for this and to be detained if you test positive, be prepared to pay extra for new flights and accommodation. Talk to fellow travellers about strategy if one tests positive and others negative so that ye might part company in isolation. It looks like if you do “abandon” your sick friend or relative you will probably not be abandoning a person liable to become very sick. But it all has to be thought about and kind of planned for theoretically.

Eg, take a young healthy couple both with jobs back in Ireland. One tests positive and required to isolate in another hotel. The other tests negative and proves to be able to return to Ireland and resume work & practicalities etc. There should be an agreement that if this should happen there will be no resentment about the healthy party so doing, once the person left behind is in very little danger of deteriorating with Omicron and should be perfect fly able to get home without difficulty once isolation period ends.

• Advertisement

• Seems about every third person or so has Omicron. There’s no stopping it. Just let vaccination mostly take care of possibility of significant illness. You are going to get Omicron, this has got to be a given. As my neighbour says they are quite pleased to be getting it done with. Although it may revisit, they said knowing it’s so mild is reassuring and just a minor nuisance. Keep paracetamol in stock, any rehydration salts if needed, and the basics of teabags, tinned food and jax roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Don't mention Jax roll ffs!!!

You'll cause a stampede 😂

• Well I’m thinking of the practicalities of that. The two families I speak of here were staying in most houses with a fair number of rooms. Those who tested positive stayed within their rooms, but as most rooms had no en-suite it has been necessary to share bathrooms, windows kept wide open etc. downstairs loo in one house designated as for non-positive use. If everyone of those large households is to isolate they’d need to hire a hotel or rent a row of houses.

Perhaps everybody should be routinely not mixing with any other household, and perhaps I should have cancelled my trip. There are no straightforward solutions, except it seems locking stable doors in all countries where all the horses have already bolted and run free seems a bit pointless now.

We are just gonna get Omicron. My own personal belief is that it’s coming time to live with it, though I fully respect different views as we are still learning about it.

We all just need to hang in there for a few more months. Get vaccine three and four done.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Thank you,undestand all that i thought you were posting about entry to Teneriffe from Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Ok so here's a question....I tested positive on 23rd December. Antigen and PCR. Symptoms started on 21st. I am fine now, was never that bad anyway. So my isolation ends on 31st.

GF has tested positive today and is sick a bit, but she'll be grand. Her symptoms started yesterday, 26th.

Her isolation will run to the 5th Jan. But what does this mean for me? Am I now also 5th Jan? I don't believe so but just checking....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

No, just the original 2. Funny enough I got text for number 3 the night I tested positive which I can't get now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

I know that most consider the GS Confirm cases not of importance.

Said I was taking a break 24 to 48 hours from posting on Coronavirus (COVID-19) forums here.

It has been over that period and also there was no numbers to report in that time anyway.

45,307 additional confirmed cases of the #Omicron, UK now total 159,932.

UK PDF: - Omicron daily overview: 27 December 2021

With Prevalence* estimate at 90%

No @ECDC_Outbreaks reports yet.

I wonder are the UK figures a combined figure for last two days?

total (worldwide) 249,456 Deaths at 42

Advertisement