Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry Dunn death

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

As far as I can see the only charge would be careless driving which is very hard to prove without witnesses.

As mentioned, the charge is Causing Death By Dangerous Driving. There’s evidence she was driving in the wrong side of the road - forensic, eye witnesses, CCTV and her own admission. So there appears to be as solid a case as one can have.

CDBDD carries a sentence of up to 14 years (of course, she’s most likely get less), so there’s a significant personal incentive for her not to go back (apart from the political one).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yeah but this is different. This isn't a drug dealer or a thief. This is a spy. That means there are national security implications. Not in terms of actually harming national security, but the precedent of extraditng spys is something that they won't challenge.

Was it not her husband who was a spy and she was basically "just a housewife"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Anne Sacoolas is due to face criminal proceedings in the UK, charged with causing the death by dangerous driving of the 19-year-old motorcyclist Harry Dunn.

The case would be heard at Westminster magistrates court on 18 January, the Crown Prosecution Service said. It is understood that she will appear via video link, although a spokesperson for the law firm representing Sacoolas said: “While we have always been willing to discuss a virtual hearing, there is no agreement at this time.”

The Dunn family have always said they wanted her to face justice in the UK, and it is not clear what would happen if she was found guilty or whether she would serve a sentence or pay any fine in the US.

original thread here:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058020677/us-diplomats-wife-flees-home-claiming-diplomatic-immunity-after-fatal-collision/p1

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

I'll get plenty of hate for this comment but here goes.

I absolutely sympathise with the Dunne Family. They have lost their son and I can understand why they want their pound of flesh. That said, Anne Sacoolas didn't set out to kill anyone. As far as I'm aware she wasn't speeding, drunk or drugged or engaging in anything else dangerous other than driving on the wrong side of the road. Yes, I know, that's illegal and it's a huge mistake that cost the young man his life but it was a mistake that's easy to make when you come from a country that drives on the opposite side of the road.

I can understand wanting to jail someone for causing death by dangerous driving if they were driving at 200mph or were scuttered drunk, but Anne Sacoolas made an error that's probably more common than we realise. I personally know of two incidents of the same here in Ireland that resulted in crashes but luckily no deaths (one was the boss in my old job, a German who momentarily forgot where he was and the other was an Austrian truck driver).

I'm of the opinion that Anne Sacoolas made a mistake that had huge consequences, but it was still a mistake nonetheless. Do I think Anne Sacoolas should be jailed for this mistake - no, I don't. Would I feel differently if it was my son killed, absolutely. But the law works better when emotion is left out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭crinkley

This could have certainly been her defence but she ran. I can certainly understand the hurt caused that this woman thinks shes above the law and doesn't have to answer for her actions, which she should whether they were deliberate or not.

I don't think the family will get much comfort in a video link appearance but at least they have an opportunity for answers, can't see her being extradited if found guilty of dangerous driving etc

• Advertisement

I don't think the family will get any comfort as I can't see Socoolas appearing via video link. What obligation is she under to do so? Her lawyer said that hasn't been agreed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-59643750

actually wouldn't surprise me considering her character to date if she didn't appear. Think Liz Truss will face a lot of pressure considering the Assange deal earlier but I don't believe the theories that this deal has been done as some straight swap

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nobody sets off on a journey intending to cause a collision or kill someone, but when it happens it should be dealt with in a court, and the ability to flit off to another country does not affect that.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Can't say I agree with the DPP's conclusions on this. If one looks into why diplomats and their families have immunity in the first place, it is obvious why such inviolability should not be voided (Regardless of whether British law permits such a decision).

Should Socoolas be sent back? Yes, I believe an extradition request should be granted, but that's not for the British to decide.

Hey Manic, what's the US Government's take on her having immunity? Do they assert that she had diplomatic immunity or not?

I haven't been following this very closely but I see that the UK High Court found back towards the end of 2020 that she did have diplomatic immunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Both were CIA officers. She was notified to the UK Foreign Office as an accompanying spouse (traveling on a diplomatic passport). Both were doing signals-related work on the RAF base. Whether the UK was aware of this is unknown.

Friendly countries tend to have an informal equivalency arrangement limiting the number of intelligence officers posted to their respective countries under diplomatic cover. This could have been a CIA workaround - perhaps the UK assented to it with a wink and a nod, perhaps they had no idea.

Wasn't Dominic Rabb, then Foreign Secretary, heavily criticised and has since said that he should have put British citizens above the UK-US relationships, sounds like some wink and a nod indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don't think it's clear whether she was an active spy's or if she was entitled to be viewed as a spy and so entitled to immunity through marriage.

If someone is a spy living in London then it's prudent to assume their spouse is also involved to some extent. So she might or might not have actually been involved but the UK government made sure she was treated with immunity and was flown out of the country before the justice system could catch up with her. I doubt we'll ever know one way or the other whether she was an active spy or if they just gave her immunity retroactively to get her out quickly.

What do you think will give them actual comfort? Seeing her in person? Seeing her admit to the killing (we all know she killed him)? An apology? Seeing her suffer by being imprisoned?

I don't think the justice system is in any way set up to comfort the victims so if they're after comfort then I think they're chasing something they will never get through the justice system. I think the best thing they can hope for is to set their goal at getting an apology via video link and her being convicted in UK court while living in america and draw a line under it, because that's the absolute maximum they will get.

What do you think will actually comfort the family?

I'd imagine that the family will get no comfort to be honest. I'm sure they'd like to see her behind bars but I don't think that will happen. Actually, I think nothing will happen. I can't see her taking part in the trial either in person or by video link. Can she be tried in absentia in the uk?

Not sure about whether she can be tried in the UK without her participation.

It would be one thing if she can be tried from the US plead guilty and apologise and then be sentenced so that if she ever goes back to the UK she would serve the sentence. But she might have to give a mealy mouthed, half apology which was crafted by a lawyer to make sure she doesn't admit any guilt. I really doubt that would do anything but upset the family further. I don't know how these things work in reality. But I really doubt any of it will make the family happy until they draw a line under it and nove on with their lives.

Another point I'm wondering about is whether or not Sacoolas had diplomatic immunity or not. If she had diplomatic immunity, why is there a trial at all?

Was the diplomatic immunity that she had at the time she left the UK revoked or was she not entitled to it in the first place?

They treated her as if she had immunity and the US suggested she had immunity all along. Its not clear whether she had immunity as a spy or they created the immunity after the accident. But its national security and diplomatic relations, so none of the parties involved have to be transparent about it.

The trial would be completely with her consent and would involve no enforceable or practical punishment. It would presumably be carefully curated not to set a precedent which would compel other spys or diplomats to stand any kind of trial in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭rock22

from what we know, is this not careless driving rather than dangerous driving, albeit with terrible consquences.

Irrespective of the actual charge, is it now possible for Ms Saccolas to get a fair trial in England? It seems the whole matter has turned into a political football and , if I were her, I would expect my government to keep me safe from such a show trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

So it’s ok offences to drive on wrong side of road… what’s your thoughts on texting and driving?? Is that a harmless mistake too??? Well as long as they weren’t speeding like …?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

As a biker it's nice to know how little you value our lives

This is abuse of diplomatic immunity. Its not meant for diplomts to evade unsanctioned/accidental crimes they committed in allied countries. Diplomatic immunity can be revoked.

It's also big brother telling little brother to know his place, albeit somewhat apologetically.

I'd say it's working just fine. Diplomatic immunity allows spys to operate in each others' countries so they know what each other are up to (and aren't up to to avoid unnecessary paranoia).

I'd spy's can be charged with crimes like this, then its easy to trump up charges and the whole spy apparatus collapses. These are spys from an allied country. Imagine what the Chinese or Russians or Americans would do of this became common practice. There would be no point to diplomatic immunity if they could be charged with this stuff, tragic as Harry's death was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I’d imagine that the vast majority of drivers who end up killing another road user did not set out to cause anyone any harm but nonetheless a life is ended prematurely by your carelessness. A family is suffering endlessly, because of you.

A decent person will ultimately want to lessen the suffering of the family as much as they can by submitting themselves to the justice system, if only to relieve themselves of at least some of the horrendous guilt. Also, It’s England, not Indonesia or Iran. This woman was never going to flung in a hellhole of a stinking prison.

I could even understand the initial fleeing back to the US. She was shocked and traumatised. I can’t even imagine. But at some stage a decent person will want to return to face the music, if only to get it over with, to put it behind her. The absolute brass neck of this woman in the face of all the publicity to have kept up her refusal to take responsibility for her actions.

If you are Harry Dunn’s mother then you are being told that your child’s life was worth much much less then this woman’s right to avoid the consequences of her actions.

That makes her despicable imo and I hope that Harry Dunn’s smiling face is the last thing she sees before she goes to sleep at night for the rest of her life.

A snivelling coward.

The idea that someone would voluntarily go to prison in a foreign country, is Hollywood nonsense. Most people would avoid prison if there is a legal option to do so. I'd choose to deal with the guilt in freedom rather than dealing with the guilt in captivity.

If it's legal to avoid prison, and it is in this case, then she'll take that option like almost everyone else.

The fact that it involved diplomats means it's way bigger than Anna and Harry. The UK demanding she stands trial in the UK, or the US actually allowing her to be extradited would set a precedent which would have major ramifications for spys in the future. Its not about her.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

So doing the right thing is “Hollywood nonsense”? You could knock down and kill a child and then run away and escape and just get on with your life? Forget all about it even when the parents of the child are begging you constantly to help them? I see. And you call that freedom? Maybe freedom would be facing the music, dealing with the consequences, asking the parents to forgive you, and then knowing that you did everything that you could have done to put things right. Then maybe you could be free. But thankfully there’s not a lot of people who can kill someone with their car, run away, shrug their shoulders and say “**** happens”.

I don't say anything about "just get on with your life? Forget all about it".

I imagine she's going going to be wracked by guilt. But I doubt going to prison will help anything for her.

I also explained why I think she'll have no choice in the matter of facing trial in the UK because its not about her, its about national security and the ramifications of setting such a precedent.

Given the choice of going to prison or legally avoiding going to prison, I'd choose the latter. What would you choose?

It’s very interesting to me how you approach this whole scenario from the position, as the killer of the child, with no other interest besides the best outcome for you.

Im quite confident that the vast majority of normal people who had taken a child’s life in these tragic circumstances would be so traumatised so grief stricken and so guilty, that even if they had initially fled, they would ultimately and before very long, want to put things right. Would you not want to put your side of the story at least? Would you not want to face the parents and offer them your sorrow?!?

What good would be having your “freedom” when everywhere you go for the rest of your life you are that woman who killed that boy and ran away?

Its highly unlikely she was ever going to go to prison. A driving ban of some kind and a fine is most likely.

• Advertisement

But we're talking about what she'll likely do.

It's not about what she wants. You keep ignoring the national security implications. So she might be able to give a private apology to the family, from the US, but she might not even be able to admit guilt.

But lest assume it was just a normal person with the option to legally avoid prison - prison would surely be a possibility. I would do pretty much anything to avoid prison. What about her family? Who cares for them, who earns money for the family? How do her children fare while she's going to prison out of choice? Be real for a second, there's no way you'd go to prison on purpose if you had the choice to legally avoid it.

She'll have to deal with the guilt her own way, that's up to her with therapy and whatever else. I'll be shocked of she chooses to deal with it by going to prison - one of the more stressful environments imaginable.

In reality, she has lawyers to strategise on her behalf. They'll be telling her to not admit any guilt at the moment.

If it were me, I'd want to at least apologise to the family. But I wouldn't volunteer to go to prison, nor will Anne Sacoolas. She'll only admit guilt or apologise to the family once she knows she's immune from prosecution and the UK agree to drop it. It will likely take years to sort out all the diplomatic angles and things settle down a bit. I'm just looking at it from the realistic point of view.

Advertisement