Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,295 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sloppy in the last 10 minutes and St Johnsone pull one back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Good to see Bitton get a goal, he's been very good since he was moved back to his natural position.

Unlucky for Dawson, almost a goal on his debut

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Great win in the circumstances decimated with injuries and covid. Scales looks to be making that left back position his. Rogic has been excellent recently Bitton been good as well. Get players back fit and a few signings and we can win the league

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

They can certainly win it TheCitizen, but on the other side of it, Rangers were super again by all accounts today against a near full strength St. Mirren. They will need to have a sticky patch at some stage I feel. Gerrard leaving may not turn out to be the blessing it might have been, and nobody would have said this at the time, that’s for sure. Celtic have two Old Firm games to come at Celtic Park, win those and points difference is wiped out. However, there is little margin for error now as far as Celtic is concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Pretty good performance today especially in the first half when I thought we played very well and really should have been 3 or 4 up and out of sight. The passing was excellent considering the cabbage patch of a pitch the game was played on. Abada had one of his best games if not his best game for us. Not just his goals but had some very nice touches and movement off the ball. Rogic was excellent again. Credit to Biton who in the absence of both McGregor and Forrest took over the captaincy and deserved his goal for a really good days work. Good way to finish before the break. Now hopefully we can catch our breath and get guys back fit.

Celtic played well, no question, but St Johnstone were awful in the first half. They got a bit of luck with first goal. Again, I repeat myself, VAR needs to be brought it as it would have disallowed it. Once Celtic scored so early it was game over. Rogic has never played better football over his career, his fitness levels must be the best they have ever been surely? The back room team can take a lot of credit for this.

Why would it have been disallowed? Have you seen VAR in operation in England?

It is not perfect ADIG, but it gets more correct than wrong, and I think this would be conclusion for all leagues that use it.

I agree but why would the goal be disallowed?

• Advertisement

Because the ball last came off Abada’s upper arm before the ball went into the net. There is not a chance in the world any official would have spotted this in real time. However, if the ref had the option to view all angles from a Tv screen at pitch side, he would have seen the angle that showed ball clearly coming off Abada’s arm. The goal would have been definitely ruled out with VAR in my opinion.

Not as clear as you are making out, it came of his upper arm area towards the shoulder - not handball

ADIG, anywhere under the shoulder joint, armpit area is handball. This is not in question. With VAR, I believe that gets ruled out 9 times out of 10. Look, Celtic played well, they were always going to win that game, so it’s not nearly as controversial as Kyogo’s goal against Hearts a few weeks back. This isn’t about Celtic by the way, Rangers and others clubs have benefited from incorrect decisions too over the seasons. But it’s beyond ridiculous that VAR is not in Scottish football, they cannot seriously develop the game by attracting new sponsors if they don’t have a professional set up. With a strong Rangers and Celtic, and others clubs like Hearts having shown improvements this season, now is the perfect time to get it sorted. No more excuses around costs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Triple swoop for Celtic - "Celtic have signed three Japanese players "at the peak of their careers" after confirming deals for trio Daizen Maeda, Yosuke Ideguchi and Reo Hatate.

Midfielders Ideguchi, 25, and Hatate, 24, have signed four-and-a-half-year contracts from Gamba Osaka and Kawasaki Frontale respectively."

That is a turn up for the books. I don't think I can remember Celtic being quick off the mark in transfer windows, they usually faff about and wait until the last few days and go into panic buy mode

DAIZEN MAEDA

The 24-year-old forward is reuniting with Ange Postecoglou at Celtic, having previously played under the manager at Yokohama F. Marinos. He had originally joined Yokohama F. Marinos on loan in August 2020 following a previous loan spell with Maritimo in the Portuguese league, and by the end of the season had impressed Ange Postecoglou enough that the deal became a permanent one. And in the 2021 season, Daizen Maeda was joint top scorer in the J-League with 23 goals as Yokohama F. Marinos finished second and qualified for the AFC Champions League. He was also named in the J-League Best XI of the 2021 season and has been capped twice for the Japan national side. Daizen will join Celtic initially on loan but with a compulsory purchase clause included, meaning he will be with Celtic on a permanent basis from the summer on a long-term deal.

YOSUKE IDEGUCHI

The 25-year-old midfielder began his career with Gamba Osaka, having come through their youth academy, and made his first-team debut in 2014. He spent a further four years with the club, winning the prestigious J-League ‘Rookie of the Year’ award in 2016, and it is from the same club that he joins Celtic, having re-signed for them back in 2019. In the intervening period, Yosuke Udeguchi joined Leeds United, before going out on loan, first to Cultural Leonesa in Spain and then Greuther Fürth in Germany. Yosuke Ideguchi has also been capped 15 times for Japan, scoring two goals for his country. He joins Celtic Football club on a four and a half year contract

REO HATATE

The versatile 24-year-old, who can play in a number of position, joins Celtic from Kawasaki Frontale, having helped them win the J-League for the second successive year. He was also named in the J-League Best XI of the 2021 season alongside his new Celtic team-mate, Daizen Maeda. Reo Hatate was also selected to represent Japan at the recent Olympic Games, held in the summer in Japan. And he helped his country reach the last four of the tournament, though they lost out in the bronze medal match to Mexico. Reo will also be joining Celtic on a 4 and a half year contract.

It is hoped all players will be joining up with the Celtic squad across the next few days.

A delighted Celtic manager, Ange Postecoglou, said: “We are really pleased to bring in these guys to Celtic and I think they are players who will excite our fans.

"Clearly I am well aware of their attributes and I think in bringing all three to the club we are bringing even more quality, personality and energy to the squad to work with the players who have done so well for us already this season.

“They are all really at the peak of their careers, ambitious to achieve more success and I am sure at this particular time we will be getting their best years. I am delighted to have secured these players so early in the transfer window, I look forward to working with them and myself, my backroom team and the rest of the squad will be making sure we help them settle into Celtic as quickly as possible.”

Everyone at Celtic joins Ange in welcoming these new players to the Club

Brilliant that all 3 are in so quickly. That gives them a couple of weeks to train before the next game against Hibernian on the 17th. Having the 4 lads now from Japan should all help them settle in a bit easier as well hopefully.

Great work by Celtic. If they make half as much impact as Kyogo, then Celtic will have won a watch! These are the manager’s signings, there can be no doubt about this. This is refreshing in itself.

Great news for sure. Looking forward to next weeks game even more now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I was just reading the cost of these three...3.5million looks like insane value on the face of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Team for tonight, Hart; Juranovic, Carter-Vickers, Starfelt, Taylor; Hatate, McGregor, Rogic; Abada, Maeda, Forrest.

Subs: Bain, Scales, Giokoumakis, Jota, McCarthy, Johnston, Guchi, Ralston, Welsh.

Still no Jullien and Kyogo still missing but Jota back on the bench and Maeda and Hatate straight in.

’Mon the fcuking Celtic!!

Great start for Maeda. Hatate looks terrific so far.

Some miss from Hibs and then Celtic go one up. Hibs looking decent and Hatate looks like a very good passer

Juranovic makes it 2 with a penalty - definite handball

Here we fcuking go!! We’ll deserved, comfortable lead.

Hatate has been outstanding. He’s everywhere and has some range of passing.

We’ve been totally dominant.

Rogic had an off night by his standards

Really good performance that. Other then that early chance Hibernian rarely even got near our goal. For all the criticism he has got so far this season and mostly justified Starfelt was excellent tonight. Maybe his best game since signing for us. Forrest looked back to something like his old self and what about the new bhoys. Maeda gets a goal and Reo o my what a debut from him fully deserved the man of the match. Guchi looked comfortable when he came on as well.

• Advertisement

4 points behind now :) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

And Broonys shithousing was enjoyable too 😁.

Crucial we follow up with a win v Hearts next Wednesday after the Cup game at the weekend and build some pressure on the other lot. Promising performance the other night. The Japanese bhoys look to be a real addition and Giakamakos looked useful when he came on. Scott Brown showed the value and importance of being able to match Rangers at the dark arts last night.

What are you referring to when you said dark arts in relation to Bronny last night? I didn't see him engage in anything dirty or underhand. I thought he actually played well in the game and generally bossed the midfield area.

• Advertisement

Tam McManus said today that he sent Brown a text last night congratulating him on his performance and got a fishing emoji in reply. Brown knew exactly what he was at last night and is the master of sh!thousing.

Never mind making sure Kent got his deserved marching orders, Tavenier looked like he was about to start blubbing when Brown put his arm around him. Getting Barasic put off in the 93rd minute with a bleeding nose when Aberdeen had a free kick was sh!thousery at its finest.

All that being said, him, Johnny Hayes and Hedges were the best players on the pitch.

Winding up the Rangers players.. he is a past master at it and it is fantastic to see

Taking the piss, winding them up and enjoying their discomfort yes, indulging in dark arts thats over the top. Nothing dirty in his play last night. Just a quality performance from him all round. I agree with you too about Hedges and Hayes both were excellent last night as well.

He certainly knows how to get in their heads thats for sure and it was fun to watch no question.

Post edited by eire4 on

I don’t mean dirty play, I mean sh1thousing and getting under the skin of the opponent. Perhaps dark arts the wrong phrase there.

• Advertisement

Yes then I completely agree with you he was getting right in their heads and enjoying every minute of it and it was fun to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Celtic have signed 21 year old Matt O'Riley from MK Dons. He's a midfield player. Can't say I know a lot about him but apparently been doing well at his club and is highly regarded. The depth to the squad looks a lot better now which was needed. Let's see how this second half to the season plays out.

Tom Rogic will be unavailable for 3 games including the rangers one and will find out tomorrow who among the Japanese contingent will be called up for upcoming international games. O’Riley could find himself given an opportunity in midfield depending on those call ups.

Great cross from Scales and great finish from Giakoumakis

Abada scores a peach to make it 2

Sammon pulls one back for Alloa

Finished 2-1 to Celtic

some bad challenges from Alloa and McGregor, Abada and Ideguchi all went off injured

Celtic drawn at home against Raith Rovers in the next round

Alloa were a dirty shower of cnuts. Filth. Led by a filthy pr1ck on the sideline.

Waiting now for a mysterious offended Alloa fan to come along and get me banned for another six months from this site.

Leopards never change their spots and I cannot wait for us to win our league back.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭dom40

also the referee who let them kick fcuk out of our players,the tackle on Guchi was discraceful and could have easily broken his ankle,mc gregor face injury looked very bad,toe stamp on abada.its as if ferguson told them to go out and clatter our players in the second half and the wee hun ref will not see anything.this needs to be called out by someone as our players are getting zero protection from the officials of the spl.Injuries to players now almost every game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement