Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

So you're denting that you said that people on the street are irrelevant when that's clearly wrong? No misrepresentation of your quotes so unsure quite why you're trying to deflect rom them.

You're never going to prevent people objecting, and delaying major projects. Autocratic planning ain't happening.

ABP ignored the climate plans. Their decision document on the approval of the road said the project is “likely to result in a significant negative impact on carbon emissions and climate that will not be fully mitigated”. There's the first JR win.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Fair enough mate, you do you. I'm not going to go back and forth on it. It's there for anyone interested to read.

As for the JR, projects will continue to go ahead legally even if they lead to a net increase in emissions. It's the job of the Government to lower emissions, not ABP, and certainly not the courts. ABP did its job and looked at all the factors involved before rendering its decision. If you believe that the law has changed to simply ban projects which are not carbon neutral, I'm afraid you're in for some rather disappointing decisions in the years to come.

You're quite right, in European countries they built the bypasses a long time ago, making it much easier to subsequently introduce public transport and active travel. We should probably follow the steps which worked for them.

As for the legal aspects, we remain a sovereign and independent state. If reform of our planning laws is hindered by rules agreed at an EU level (which I doubt is the case), we'll just have to work with other states to change them, and if they do not work with our system, to begin to make space to opt out of them. There's generally scope for member states to be flexible in the details of how EU rules are implemented, so I doubt that would be needed, but we must take responsibility for the laws that apply in Ireland, including ones agreed at an EU level. It's only been the past decade or so that obstacles to planning have gotten completely out of hand, but there is no question now that - whatever the cause - they are out of hand. Major reform is desperately needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

No countries will be getting opt outs from the EU, Brexit has ensured this. If you want the benefits, you have to take everything else that comes with it, no half measures. They certainly wont be allowing countries avoid environmental law.

In all your raging against environmentalism, you completely forget that even without it, there is still another massice hurdle for the Galway Bypass to cross and it may be insurmountable for this version of the project. The costs for this bypass are obscene yet the benefits are limited. There is a very strong possibility that the project wont pass the Public Spending Code in which case it would not be built. This has always been the folly of this project, it assumes the car commuters of Galway are worth any cost.

Can you provide something to support your claim that in "the past decade or so that obstacles to planning have gotten completely out of hand"? Planning decisions have been open to Judicial Review for a long long time, well more than a decade. It will also remain open indefinitely as the planning system would be toothless were it not grounded in law, therefore the legality of any planning decisions will always be open to review. Any reform is likely to be in the form of additional resources to speed up the process, it unlikely to change the outcomes. The M28 is the only major road project to go to Judgicial Review and the decision of ABP was upheld.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

According to TII, this has a BCR of 4.8 assuming a cost of €600m. The M28 by comparison has a BCR of 3.4 based on it costing €250m

https://www.tii.ie/roads-tolling/projects-and-improvements/Major-Active-Projects-March_FinalC.pdf

You seem to have an abject understanding of how the law functions. The judiciary are obliged to give verdicts based on Oireachtas legislation. Any planning decisions not taking government bills into account will struggle with JR challenges. As clearly will this poorly-worded ABP document.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Without knowing what the methology for the BCR calculation is, it's hard to know how relevant in is. BCR is often a bit blunt, Net Present Value or other similar methods are often preferred.

In any case, approval under the Public Spending Code doesn't just come down to one figure, there's much more to it. See here;

6.11 Reviewing the Final Business Case

The Final Business Case should be sent to the Approving Authority for review. The Approving Authority must check the completeness of the Final Business Case in terms of the requirements set out here and the quality of the material in relation:

• Continuing alignment with national policy

• Completeness of the appraisal

• Affordability. In the case of Exchequer funded projects this should be assessed in light of the available Medium Term Exchequer Capital Envelopes and existing commitments

• The relative merit of the proposal in comparison to competing proposals

• Consideration of the range of potential costs and risks

• Consideration of the detailed delivery programme

• Assessment of the commercial arrangements for delivery

We know for sure that the Galway Ring Road doesn't fit within the Capital Envelope until after 2026 at the earliest (so all the whinging about environment, Judicial Reviews, etc. are misplaced, they wouldn't actually delay the project for a while yet). It's hard to know whether it aligns with national policy right now, nevermind in a few years time (standalone road with nothing for public/active travel isn't a great look). Where will it sit in relation to Carbon Budgets. The relative merit of the Galway Ring Road might not look so hot in comparison to competing proposals of say 50km of DC replacing unsafe roads plus providing good walking/cycling facilities. The proposed road also has a high level of risk as there are some very large complex structures (tunnel, viaduct, etc.) and the whole lot really has to be delivered in one go, phasing hardly helps as the whole project as been built on the need for a full end-to-end bypass so curtailing probably breaks the case they have been making thus far. Then there is the matter of updating costs for any conidtions ABP may have impossed, and then seeong the actual tender prices they get back.

So yeah, the PSC is far from a straightforward hurdle to cross.

Ah well, in that case I guess we'll just have to work with other EU countries to change any rules which need to be changed, and just be more generous in our interpretation of the rest.

Marno has laid out the rather impressive BCR figures for this project in the comment below. It's moderately expensive but pays for itself multiple times over.

Over half of the large housing projects approved by ABP in the last two years are suspended pending judicial review - that's literally tens of thousands of units. JR is now effectively another routine step in the planning process for large projects, and is majorly eroding our ability not just to deliver infrastructure for the Irish people, but our ability to attract investment and employment from abroad. As for my comment about "the last decade", I would say that the last time I saw a major DC/motorway project go through the planning process in less than two years was at least a decade ago. Now even small projects like the M28 (12 km, with 2 km single carriageway) take over half a decade to go through the steps (scheme launched 2015, final legal approval 2021).

Given that this project will be tied up for several years, by the time it gets to the PSC review it'll be interesting to see what its BCR will look like then given the increased costs (already hinted at closer to 1 billion by the Minister), negative environmental impacts and more sustainable alternatives available for far less cost.

I'd wager the BCR would be closer to negative at that point

I guess its one major reason why they are planning on continuing the work on this right through any JR that may arise, however an injunction could be applied for to delay that too, but I doubt anyone will apply for that but who knows.

Concerns raised by doctors group about the lunacy of the proposed ring road

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

• Advertisement

I work with doctors a lot. Nice bunch, and good at what they're trained to do, but I'm not sure I would trust their opinions on the virtues of large engineering projects.

Their objections have a lot more to do with the health and environmental impacts than the engineering, such is their expertise. Do you also discount their medical expertise in the area of pollution and its impacts on health as highlighted in the article? Do you disagree with their facts or figures?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Minister has already been caught out inflating prices to suit agendas against projects he doesn’t like recently so that’s not a very reputable argument.

The BCR would give ~2.8bn in benefits by whatever metric they are using. Even if costs inflate it’s still pretty positive. Projects with BCRs just above 1 have been approved through to construction.

Everyone knows that pollution is bad for you, we've been living it with it for centuries. Don't worry though, EVs will help cut pollution in future. Also, I'm sorry to break it to you, but doctors have no expertise whatsoever in environmental matters.

In terms of environmental impacts on health I'm pretty sure they're covered.

As for the ev argument, that has more holes in it than Swiss cheese

Not really, no, unless it's a doctor with special training in public health and a subsequent research focus on respiratory disease. The typical doctor has next to no training on environmental matters.

I'd stick with ABP's view on it to be honest. They have far more experience in holistically weighing the pros and cons of complex infrastructure projects than any medic I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭TnxM17

Do ABP have special training in public health and research that focuses on respiratory disease?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I guess they are also unable to read research articles and inform themselves given that they are only doctors and are obviously of limited educational abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'm not sure what these charts aim to prove, except that Ireland was a radically different country (i.e. a third world backwater) in 1986. There may have been fewer car journeys, but that's because there were fewer people, many people couldn't afford cars and many of those who could, didn't have anywhere to go. Yet that seems to be what Galway's current "bypass" (a haphazard collection of street-road hybrids) was designed for - Ireland of 1986.

Just the normal amount of training and experience I would imagine.

@Seth Brundle I'm only of average intelligence, but even I know that reading a few articles doesn't make you an expert. Especially if the ever-increasing number of people who "did their own research" on the internet are anything to go by.

@SeanW It does feel a bit like some people want to take us back to the 70s/80s, at least from a personal mobility standpoint. The freedom of travel that came with greater car ownership and far better roads is a key part of the massive increase we saw in our standard of living. Ireland wasn't a better place to live when very few people travelled by car.

Happy Christmas all. Hope Santy is good to ye.

• Advertisement

I'm only of average intelligence

I did get that impression a while back but thanks for confirming.

but even I know that reading a few articles doesn't make you an expert.

So in your opinion, a doctor, say a respiratory consultant for example, cannot expand their field by reading and studying scientific peer reviewed research on air quality links to asthma etc?

Furthermore, said consultants should not use their expanded knowledge to help society?

You dismiss something that is entirely standard practice because it doesn't suit your bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Spiaire

He already has, hence his ability to conceive of what doctors do.

Doctors Don't know everything, you know.

I would've thought the current fiasco would prove that...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Stop the sniping.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Did you ever question why you are trying to debunk something? The charts show percentages. So, more people does not explain it. People going other places hardly explains it too, although I'd admit travel patterns are complex, it's the charts show bloody trips to education.... I mean did you even glance at the charts before replying?

As for the collection of street-road hybrids... it's 4 to 7 lanes all the way from the end of the motorway to the Browne Roundabout, and beyond that, there's little to justify a new €1 billion motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Sorry, but... do you ever get tired of fighting every point without looking back on what you previously said which is quoted in the reply you are responding to? Have you ever stopped to think that you might be wrong?

You're now saying:

"...I'm not entirely sure what argument you're trying to support, unless of course you want to make several unsupported extrapolations from those graphs to say that public transport is now slower or more dangerous than it was in the 1970s."

And previously you said:

"Ah now. Public transport has improved majorly since the 1970s. Transport of all kinds is so much faster and safer in this country than it was back then. To take a guess at your question, I would say public transport didn't improve enough to satisfy you. That's fine, but if the government built a new hospital to help reduce waiting lists and then didn't hire enough doctors or nurses to treat all the patients that needed to be seen, would you then say that proves that building more hospitals is the wrong solution?"

You were saying that sustainable transport that "didn't improve enough to satisfy" me as if my point was about me when the cold figures show that sustainable transport has taken a battering. Don't bother accusing me of misquoting you as you have done with other people -- anybody reading this can look back and decide for themselves.

Your hospital analogy is so flawed it's a joke. If transport in Galway is the disease that needs curing. Another Galway bypass isn't going to cure it. Expansion of such roads is the obesity equivalent of loosening one's belt to fight the issue of their waistline.

I guess you can keep looking down. Don't look up what ever you do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement