Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So who has covid? Nov 2021

Comments

• GF has tested positive on an antigen 4 days in a row with some symptoms and I'm negative. We live and sleep together and I'm not making her isolate away so assume I will get it. We are sufficiently stocked with food and Guinness :-) thankfully. I'm Jannsen vaxxed from early August so that's weak enough.

Both PCR tested today in Swords , will be interested to see how it pans out. We were due to attend a family wedding tomorrow in the West of Ireland and have had to cancel all plans. Disaster as was looking forward to seeing everyone I have not seen in near 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

My brother is vaxxed 6 months and got covid just before Xmas - woke up with headache, sore throat and tired. He said he was fine with a few panadol and it was gone by end of Day 2. He was backing running on Day 3.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

That's the thing felt grand on the bike ....thought the throat was from too much whiskey over Christmas 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Sore throat first . Next day a head cold and tight upper chest . Next day tight chest gone but voice husky and nose streaming . Its like a bad cold to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Taste and smell is gone just there, weird feeling. I think I'm 4/5 days in. It's weird because otherwise I think I feel a lot better today, sore throat, cough etc seem to have packed it in.

It's been mild altogether but this is the first icky symptom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Thanks, i do have Vitamin C, D zinc and quercitine at home that i take regularly. Hopefully this alone will strenthen my immune system

I know that there is a actual protocol for infected people that can prevent hospitalization if followed from the very start, that includes a combination of antiviral and ant-inflammatory drugs. I wonder if GPs in Ireland are aware at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭discostu1

Hi vaxxed , boosted 60 years of age do 10km plus a day walking. Got it the week before last. Lost smell and taste might have sneezed maybe 3 times in 2 days but literally nothing besides that. Wife was ill for two days but overall ok and flying now.You adult kids no issues at all

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Just seems to be hitting different people in different ways.

My partner has it with me and she's really struggling with it the last couple of days. Meanwhile, I have to cough a few times to clear out my throat. I'd definitely have my partner as healthier than I am too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Vaccinated (no booster yet)

Did two antigens and positive so have booked PCR for tomorrow. (Was with family last few days at home house but I’m gone back to my own house now).

Should they be doing anything out of their normal routine? (Regular antigens etc) or do they need to do some more stuff now? First encounter really with COVID so a bit lost. Are they classed as a close contact now or only if PCR is positive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Mav11

Exactly the same here also a bit tired and flat. Antigen is negative, waiting for pcr results.

• Advertisement

My antigen was negative for four days running after being a close contact . On day 5 it litterly shot up positive in seconds . I am waiting for a PCR result now too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Have it at the moment. I'm finding when I tell people it's no more than a moderate cold, there's almost an air of disappointment in some people's response, almost as if they want it to be bad, to justify their buy-in to this rubbish over the last 22 months. I've got "you're one of the lucky ones", and "that's great for you, but it affects others worse" or "Let's not forget Long Covid" etc.

Anyone else experiencing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Could be related to the manner in which you tell them.

People ask how I am, and I give a straight honest answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭revelman

“buy-in to this rubbish over the last 22 months”

This pandemic is following the trajectory of other corona virus pandemics through history e.g. the Russian flu in the late 19th century. The virus gets less severe as it evolves. It now looks like Covid has become another strain of the common cold, as the Russian flu did before. Many scientists predicted this would happen but it is fantastic to see it all the same.

Dont make the mistake of thinking that the moderate cold you have today is the exact same as what other people have had over the last 22 months. In 2020, in particular, we were dealing with a serious virus that would have caused untold suffering if we had let it rip through the community. Just look at what happened in Brazil and other places in 2020 and early 2021. Thankfully, we are long past that now and it is time to get back to normality and open things up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they tell us at the very start in March 2020 that for 80% of people symptoms would be mild, 15% would be moderate and 5% bad? And wasn't there an enormous amount of people who tested positive asymptomatically with previous strains? Are you trying to tell me if I got one of the previous strains last year I'd have been on deaths door? Because the stats very much say otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It doesn’t matter what anyone says to you, you’ve made your mind up. There’s a word for that type of attitude.

Also, by "Buy-in to this rubbish" I'm not referring to the virus as such, but the ludicrous nonsensical restrictions that make no sense or difference, but which will be defended regardless by many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭revelman

I don’t think anyone knew what the percentage of symptomatic vs asymptotic cases were in March 2020. I think they knew very little about the virus in March 2020.

Of course I’m not telling you that you’d have been at death’s door if you had caught a previous strain. If you are youngish and healthy, then the overwhelming likelihood is that you would have been just fine, even if you had had moderate symptoms. But Omicron is basically the sniffles compared to previous strains. All I’m saying is you can’t really compare them. My own view is that if we had let previous strains just rip through the community, especially before the vulnerable had been vaccinated, we would have ended up in a really awful situation.

• Advertisement

So many contradictions. On one hand we are told this new strain is milder, yet in the same breath they are saying its milder because we have had our 2 (or 3) jabs. So if it's only milder because of the vaccines, then it isn't really milder at all, no? Given we had no vaccines with the early strains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,156 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

"They are saying"? Who is "they"?

The experts are saying that it's difficult to tell whether it's intrinsically less pathogenic or just statistically milder because it's reinfecting the partially immune (recovered/vaccinated), but probably a bit of both.

There's no contradiction.

Paul Reid says the vast majority who wants s PCR are getting one that day or the next . How the hell would he know because anyone I know cannot get one for love or money

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Actual lies . Because he has no clue who is trying and not getting one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I have it and haven’t experienced that at all. Anyone I’ve told has been very happy that my symptoms, aside from one bad day, have been mild. Sounds like some form of confirmation bias from you to be honest looking at your post. I’ve not met one person over the last 22 months who has wished worse symptoms/impact on anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

so why the panic and lockdown then, when the govt said it was due to the unknowns of the variant?

PCR came back positive alright, **** joke. literally dont even have a runny nose, had a blocked nose for about 2 days...

covid twice in about 4 months, both times a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Theres a difference between it being described as the “big bad new variant” and taking precautionary measures because we don’t know enough about it. I’ve heard no one describe it as big and bad.

Because what we knew about Omicron was it’s transmissibility. It would lead to larger case numbers and even if it’s a smaller percentage ending up in hospital, out of a large number of cases that’s still a big number ending up in hospital.

This was about protecting the health service and nothing else. Even if hospitalisations are low, staff having to isolate is also a worry.

If ICU nurses were forced to isolate then the ICU’s themselves would be f*cked. You can’t just train a nurse to work in ICU at the click of a finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Could probably work it out from application logs.

• Advertisement

Well i have tried at very least 30 times to book a PCR and no luck

same for many people I know so Paul Reid has no clue about who is getting an appointment .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

My 53 yr old neighbor brought to hospital by ambulance last night doesn’t think it’s a joke..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Most people aren’t even bothering trying because it’s a waste of time attempting to get one

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I do love the certainty of some statements...

This pandemic is following the trajectory of other corona virus pandemics through history e.g. the Russian flu in the late 19th century. It now looks like Covid has become another strain of the common cold, as the Russian flu did before.

I'm afraid not. It's only a very recent hypothesis - and pretty much since covid came along and people started to look for others in the past - that the 1890 Russian flu might have been a coronavirus and it's still very much conjecture.

The virus gets less severe as it evolves.

Though oft repeated that's not nearly a given either. The first wave of the Spanish flu of 1918 was notably less severe than the second. If we'd only had the first variant it's very likely nobody would be talking about Spanish flu today. Bird flu is another that has become more deadly and more transmissable. Before it was wiped out in the wild smallpox was with us for thousands of years and the more nasty form didn't get any less deadly. It killed over 300 million people in the 20th century alone. Other examples include the pathogens of the Old World when they were introduced into the New World. Viruses like chickenpox and measles that had become childhood illnesses that didn't kill that many Europeans ripped through the New World populations and decimated those populations.

A virus "wants" to become more transmissable, that's it, end of. So mutations that allow more transmissability are favoured by basic natural selection. So long as the host stays alive long enough to spread the virus to another host that's all that the virus "cares" about. Severity is a coin toss. Take omricon. It seems it became more transmissable because it infects cells in the upper respiratory system, rather than deeper into that system. That appears to make it less severe, but again that's more luck than anything. Another mutation could have sprung up that does both. Or because of vaccinations during an active pandemic where transmission isn't reduced enough could introduce strong selection pressures for the virus to mutate and evade the vaccines, which could in turn make it more deadly, or put us back to square one with something like the Alpha variant.

There are too many variables involved trying to equate previous pandemics with new ones. For example in pre vaccination and modern medicine times pathogens essentially burned through populations. Everyone was exposed so after the first wave the ones still standing had some sort of resistance even immunity to the pathogen(this even happened with the plague, a bacterial pathogen and a percentage of Europeans alive today have resistance genes towards it). They didn't get any less deadly. They could in some circumstances become more deadly to those without resistance. The Spanish flu again a good example. Those who caught the first strain were immune to the second and yet it got significantly more deadly.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As a matter of interest do you know if they were vaccinated?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

thats terrible, for each person thats sick ive literally heard of about 25 in last few days with 0 symptoms

You've heard of 25 people in the last few days with zero symptoms for every one that has had symptoms? You'll have to excuse me if I call bollocks on that one.

I know of plenty of people that have it. 20s/30s and most very fit, active and healthy. Every single one of them is sicker than I am.

This is hitting different people in different ways. Your experience and my experience does not mean everyone else has the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Im really struggling to understand this mindset 2 years in.

The virus will be mild for most people. However, there is a small but significant percentage of people that will not have a mild dose and will suffer severe outcomes.

That small but significant percentage is thousands of people in Ireland and millions globally.

It is most certainly not a joke for them and their families.

I'm glad your alright but step out side your own shoes once in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Same. Most i have heard have a few sniffles, the odd one had maybe 1 rough day but havent heard anyone with any remotely serious dose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Mam1996

So 5 of us at home and all took antigen tests before heading to grandparents on Christmas morning. 2 positive all others negative. Cancelled the trip and isolated. 2 more ended up with symptoms of flu later that day (fatigue, aches, sore throat and temperature) next morning the 2 with symptoms had positive antigens. All but obe PCR test is back now and all negative so far, can't understand it. I really thought it was a no brainer that we had contracted it despite us being way over the top cautious-wise since the beginning of the pandemic. I guess though a false positive is better thana false negative any day. Still getting over the symptoms of what's obviously a bad headcold at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Obviously if you don't try the portal then they won't have a record. But you could know that the majority who tried got them the same day from application logs was my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Positive PCR returned, cough and a sore throat that’s it so far.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,512 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Would you rather you had ended up in hospital or what’s the issue?

Understand it’s a pain in the hole getting it twice and all that entails, but I think I’d be glad I wasn’t too sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Day 3 ...sore throat gone replaced with Cold symptoms, bit of a chest no temp .....taste and smell still with me 🙏🙏 spent the day cleaning the garage out and the cars ......if this is the height of it I'd be happy .....I'm not about to get a thump here am I 👀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

We use voodoo dolls. Cannot have unnecessary mixing even if there is a good cause.

take care and Happy New Year. I will gladly take positive reports any day.

Don’t think you’d get a thump (figuratively speaking of course) for being happy about having mild symptoms.

It’s those who decide to politicize it as if everyone is grand which are getting people the wrong way.

You're in a similar boat to myself. Happy that this is all it is for me. Heart goes out to those struggling/needing additional treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Literally cannot get a pcr test despite 2 days of almost consistently trying. I am isolating with my immediate family but has anyone here who has/had covid had a positive (feint) antigen followed by several negatives? My head still tells me I don't have this but I know the guidelines tell me I do.

• Mrs got her positive test today and I got the negative text. So weird, we live together been in each other's company the whole time and been close. I had the Janssen in July.

I never get colds and flus luckily enough in the past. Is there a chance I can avoid it altogether?

I'm not making her isolate within our apartment, unfortunately I'll have to restrict my movements also.

As for her symptoms, she was weak with a slight cough and cold for an hour or 2 Christmas day but she took Panadol and has been flying since. Has me thinking why the furore, but I just can't get over the drastic effect it seems to have on a minority who end up really ill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Its wasnt a joke looking at my kids coughing the lungs out... Please be more respectful.. i am happy that you had nothing to worry about but keep in the mind that this is very sensitive topic for some...

You could dodge the bullet.... My wife was looking after me and.my kids for 5 days before she went into labour and gave birth ty mo daughter...and she was negative....and is... While me and my 2 little boys down...pcr confirmed and moderate ill.......

Its individual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Hope you all feel better soon. And huge congratulations on your new daughter.

Advertisement