Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Similar from my wife's inputs from her hospital. She was back on shift last night after getting a negative PCR. A few admissions in her hospital over the past few days. But not one because of covid. Testing positive while in there. Suppose the word incidental is going to become a popular one going forward.

Also as observed in other countries, her colleagues were saying that patients are not appearing to be really sick from it. While obviously that's a big positive, it's still a pain in terms of having to manage covid in the hospitals. There might need to be some change in strategy due to Omicron. In my opinion, I think it will become clear that we can't apply the same approach to the other variants with Omicron.

Also they can discharge over weekend or holidays, but usually won't as its better to do for the patient when all community services are open. So very little movement on discharges since Christmas eve. Would expect the numbers to yo-yo a bit over remainder of this week and the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ride it out, all early indications are it's mild. Reach the peak fast and deal with the temporary surge in hospitalizations. It's peaking already in the UK and they still aren't meeting hospital numbers for lockdown thresholds.

If we draw this out I feel we are missing an opportunity to end this covid pandemic by wiping out delta.

The game plan needs to be changed here, we are no longer dealing with delta and an unvaccinated population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Presumably Paul Reid would know? I can’t think of any good reason I he may want to say otherwise.

Anecdotally I tried to get a PCR in early December. Very scarce on the ground and then when I managed to get one I was never sent the code but perhaps I am an anomaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not all of them. I happened on a brief segment of the RTE 9 news last night and a very calm Samantha Libreri highlighted much of what is raised here about discharges, in response to the super-keen cub anchor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I think you have to be boosted at least a week for the 5 days to apply to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

Not wishing to gratuitously slag him off - there's enough of that "warrior" mentality here already - but Paul Reid is, as his initials suggest, a PR man when he speaks in public. He says "most people" but there's no way of measuring this so he can get away with it. He might be right of course but that could still leave 49.9% of people waiting days. It sounds positive but is meaningless really.

It's no coincidence either that on days of huge figures of infections you hear him in the radio giving numbers of people who are boostered and it's announced suddenly that portals are opened for age cohorts who probably won't see a booster or vaccination for a few months. All an official ploy to stop the plebs eating each other. Frankly, judging by some of what I read I don't blame official Ireland at this stage.

How do you know when the peak has been reached?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I would have agreed with you. But Paul Reid seems to think that the peak is way off. Interesting.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/1228/1268888-covid-ireland/

He said Ireland is still at the early stage of a "rising curve" and what had been expected to happen is now happening.

"It would seem that there's a peak at some stage," he said. "We certainly aren't at that by any stretch just yet."

UK adviser saying this "wave" is different as no new restrictions are applied.

Reid saying we we may be a good bit off the peak here.

Mr Reid said the HSE is gaining experience from the spread of the virus in other countries, such as the UK, Netherlands, Denmark and Canada, who are "probably further ahead in the curve than ourselves".

He said Ireland is still at the early stage of a "rising curve" and what had been expected to happen is now happening.

"It would seem that there's a peak at some stage," he said. "We certainly aren't at that by any stretch just yet."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

There have been a few articles suggesting that, because Omicron is so transmissible, that significant numbers attending hospital are not going in for covid, they just happen to have it. Not surprising when our own HSE is saying Omicron is now "rife" in the community. Plus, when in hospital, I can only imagine it's easier to catch it.

The Chris Hopson twitter thread posted earlier had some great points -

UK

"Number of patients with covid-19 in English hospitals is definitely rising, but not precipitately so. Numbers across country as a whole have risen by 27% in a week, number of covid-19 patients in London hospitals has grown by 45% from 20 Dec to 27 Dec"

"Equivalent figures for England as a whole are 8,474 covid patients in English hospitals today versus 34,336 in January peak (18/1/21) – 25% of that peak."

"Talking to trust chief executives this morning, what’s very interesting is how many are talking about number of asymptomatic patients being admitted to hospital for other reasons and then testing positive for covid. Some are describing this as ‘incidental covid’…"

"As covid community infection rate rises rapidly due to omicron, we will get more cases of this type of incidental covid-19 in hospital. Raw data doesn’t distinguish between two."

"In the words of one hospital chief executive in the South West this morning: “we’ve seen a 30% increase in covid positive inpatient numbers compared to 7 days ago. But largest proportion are incidental finding on admission, so covid-19 is not the reason for admission…overall admissions are no higher than they were seven days ago"

“It’s therefore important to look at the total number of patients admitted, not just the raw number of covid patients admitted, particularly if they don’t need full covid care. For our trust as a whole, overall admissions are no higher than they were seven days ago”

He does caution that it is still too early to say that we don’t need to worry about omicron and hospitalisations as some are unhelpfully saying / implying.

You're basing "grim" on what exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

Would those figures that Paul Reid is basing his opinion on be very skewed though. It is my observation that most people I know are just testing with antigen kits and waiting for a couple of negatives before going out. So if that is replicated throughout the community, the cases are enormous and we could be peaking right now.

It’s impossible to get a test, we have two positive tests in this house and a third with symptoms but negative test. I’ve tried to get a pcr test but no luck and after an hour on hold for my local out of hours medical centre I hung up. We are nearly out of this now, if I were to get a pcr, it would be maybe tomorrow at the earliest and then results Thursday and only begin our 10 days then.

Two of us are boosted and one double vaxxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Petition to ban the word “grim”. Anyone who says it is surely on a wind up?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

10 days begins from first symptoms if you have them, not from the positive PCR, that only applies to asymptomatic people who test positive they have to isolate from 10 days of the positive test

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

What are people's thoughts on the schools reopening, will it go ahead next week? Right now I'd imagine it will, but also wouldn't be surprised if they delay it by a couple of weeks.

Obviously I'm hoping they do reopen, cause if the schools are closed it means everything else is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Problem is if they close how will they reopen without predefined criteria such as case numbers or hospital numbers.

What reason do you think would keep them closed? All we can really do with this variant is test and isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

There's really no point to restrictions now if everyone is going to catch this in the coming weeks. I'm actually hopeful this will be all over by Feb or March now

From our experience, if they close schools they won’t reopen to March. It absolutely shouldn’t happen, it probably won’t.

There’s also no reason to close them.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Yip, all the vaccinated and boosted anti-vaxxers…. Name calling is the lowest form of argument.

There has never been predefined numbers for opening anything before. Not sure it'd be clever either. We saw on 22 October when the famous "road map" looked for forced the government's hand to open nightclubs at a time when cases were already rising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Nothing should close, it's been shown time and time again the powers that be have no idea how to reopen

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Anyone know if “Lollipop” antigen tests are available in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I see another article in today's paper regarding the initial response to Covid in Ireland where 2 large field morgues were set up.

Two temporary morgues were operated by the State’s emergency response team for several weeks in the early stages of the pandemic in anticipation of a surge in Covid-19 deaths.

Neither morgue was ultimately required or used as the first lockdown, running from March to May 2020, suppressed the spread of the virus.

The facilities were set up in response to early modelling projections which estimated, in a worst-case scenario with no public measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19, that almost two million people could contract the virus and between 25,000 and 35,000 people could die.

The author is actually alluding to the fact that up to 35,000 vulnerable would have died between March to May 2020 without lockdowns.

Knowing that's a load of imaginary tosh, the problem is that we still use the worst case scenario projections to dictate policy in Ireland.

Until something changes we will be in the exact same scenario in Ireland next Christmas

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Oh I don't know, perhaps they'll want to get the positivity rate down a little, maybe case numbers back into the 4000-5000 thousand range? No idea to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

I know there seems to be a lot of debate around ‘with Covid’ or ‘of Covid’ and lots of hospital admissions in other jurisdictions are incidental.

In relation to our hospitals- I’m assuming the same precautionary measures would need to be taken regardless? I suppose I’m wondering if it’s going to be put more pressure on the hospitals even if they are incidental cases.

Fair enough although the latter is doubtful for a bit. There is only "BIG" day to go and at most you might expect more advice and caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

As far as I remember, this time last year Michael Martin was insistent that schools would reopen as planned. We all know what happened. It seems to me the various interest groups, unions find it easier to prevent schools reopening after holidays because it means keeping them closed rather than implementing closure (if that makes any sense). If schools don't reopen as planned next week we face a long hard struggle to reach a point where it's "safe" enough to reopen them ("why is is safe this week when it wasn't last week. numbers are still through the roof!", etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There is still more hospitality that can be targeted, they won't close schools without making sure to stick the final knife in there first.

This could be the last big chance to **** over hospitality, we can't let it go to waste.

You can't operate schools if the test and isolate thing is going on. If you do that you'll have half of schools out under current infection rates. There will have to be a derogation for schools on all measures if they are to open meaningfully.

• Advertisement

One positive of a controlled release of numbers, i.e. system can only process so many, is that we may only get a somewhat steady 10,000 a day for a few weeks.

Advertisement