Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I was in limerick city on Christmas Eve at 1pm, a lot were gathering outside Penny's every other street was quiet enough and inside the shops were fairly quiet too.

I've no idea what Hoolohan is talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Well it’s not really relevant what previous flu numbers were, corona virus is completely different. But you can check the cso website, there they show 80% of Covid deaths had an underlying condition. Somebody with terminal cancel in a hospice was going to die, Covid may have brought that forward a few days or weeks, not pleasant but also not a deadly virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭billyhead

It would be madness extending and bringing in more restrictions. We have to live with COVID. The government should try and persuade those non vaccinated to get vaccinated although it might be in vain and open society fully. Watch them do the opposite.

According to the hse 200-500 died from flu in 2019, like you correctly say most were elderly and frail. 1,000 of these frail and elderly people died in January 2021.

So your claim that COVID has killed mainly those who would have died from flu anyway is probably a lie

The unvaccinated aren't the problem, I reckon with omicron the unvaccinated will most likely be recovered or dead by February.

The government should ask NPHET for expert modelling on this and Target a full reopening by then

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, I think there’s very little hope of convincing the unvaccinated to get vaccinated now. Everything they’ve said about the virus - from needing to let it run its course, to restrictions just delaying the inevitable - isn’t too far off being true. And not with the latest virus being even more « flaccid » then ever, this removes the threat of them being hospitalised. A lot of them will be emboldened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The more people who are unvaccinated are pushed to get the vaccine the more they dig in. It is there choice, nor should the government continue with the ridiculous covid cert all that does is fuel the opinions that people are being coerced to get the vaccine. If the vaccines are working then anyone without the vaccine is accepting the risk and that should be accepted by everyone without having restrictions imposed on them either there is a choice or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

No it’s not a lie, the CSO have been the most honest throughout this. You are just twisting my words to suit your agenda. I said cold, flu (and implied an etc)

on a straight line basis covid results in mortality 2-5x more frequent than flu. So it is much more deadly in that narrow sense.

but when you take people with underlying conditions and look at outcomes there is no statistical difference when you put Covid in the mix. People in a hospice with terminal cancer were going to die anyway. I know you have an agenda to spread fear and lies, but a cold hard look at the data shows that Covid is nothing to fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,652 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They're not accepting the risk if they are still disproportionately taking up hospital beds. That's why the COVID pass still exists, not as coercion (those remaining are too far gone down the rabbit hole to give up now) but to, hopefully, reduce the numbers they get infected in and keep them away from hospitals.

Are you still beating that drum? It's the likes of you and others like you that are causing people who don't want the vaccine to dig their heels in with this attitude of letting them die on the streets. Tell me would you extend this taking up hospital beds to other areas such as smokers or people who don't look after themselves? Should we all walk around covered in bubble rap so that we don't have to go to hospital. Posts like yours are cruel and this covid pass has exposed what is just under the surface in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

If covid and these restrictions have illustrated anything it's that sanctimony is alive and well in this country. Society is as sick now as it was under the church. The moralising just takes a different form.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

How many unvaccinated people are in hospital beds in our country of 5,000,000 out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I think I should have said Dec 23rd.

A family member said the shops in Dublin CC on that day were absolutely jammed.

This person is not of a nervous disposition so weren’t in the slightest concerned about being in large crowds, in fact they enjoyed the normality of it all and seeing so many not living in fear.

Ireland treats everybody, always have, always will. The remark was in reply to someone saying that the unvaccinated are accepting the risk of their choice. They are not (nor should they if they need treatment), the consequence of their choice is not having access to locations that the vaccinated have access to, it's that simple and all the pearl clutching you're doing on their behalf comes across as completely insincere given your other postings on boards, you clearly don't care about people dying due to this disease unless they are unvaccinated given your sole response to everything is to lift all restrictions and let it rip killing many people unnecessarily in the process.

But that's your cross to bear and I'm sure we'll see much more pearl clutching on behalf of the unvaccinated in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Looks like the UK will be done with COVID restrictions soon enough

Easy to see how they came over here and invaded us.

Better spirit all round than us lot

So you are in favour to treating people differently depending on their choices. What I want is everyone treated the same with the same access to everything everyone else has. Pearl clutching for me is people like you who are happy up there on the moral high horse as they have some one to beat with a stick because they made a different choice to you.

Cool, so in the whole month of November we’re talking about 300 people. Out of 5,000,0000.

For every 17,000 people in this country, there’s one unvaccinated person in hospital in a month.

That paints a much different picture than “they’re disproportionately taking up hospital beds.”

I was in the crescent (huge shopping center) that day, place was like a graveyard. Which while I accept it was not normal it was a very comfortable way to do the shopping

Each to their own but when the CMO is advising against it it's probably not good from the point of view of restrictions

I'm glad your family member felt it was a nice sense of normality but scenes like that are going to unfortunately lead to more cases and more restrictions.

There's nothing that person (or any single person) could have done about it though to be fair so might as well enjoy the atmosphere while it lasts

Same experience here. I was in the Crumlin Shopping Centre. Place was like ghost town... at this time of year ? Texas Fried Chicken is normally booked out (with a significant waiting list) with young couples treating themselves to a 5-star meal...

• Advertisement

The whole point of having to take choices is that there are different outcomes, you seem more than happy to let lots of people die with a "let it rip" plan yet seem overly concerned about those who are one of the reasons for the restrictions to last longer (the unvaccinated) you are a complete and utter hypocrite in this regard hence the pearl clutching comments. Of course you won't see this and will continue to call for letting it rip while being aghast that people choosing not to get vaccinated face restrictions (and just to make it clear, I think within country restrictions will be gone this year, hopefully by Spring, international restrictions for unvaccinated are going to be around for years so you have many years of pearl clutching and railing against other countries ahead of you, I'm sure the US, Australian, Chinese etc. governments will take your position seriously).

They are taking up a disproportionate amount of beds that are available in the health system compared to the vaccinated.

I'm sure, post pandemic, that you will be front of the queue offering extra taxes to pay for extra beds (and oblivious to the fact that other countries with more beds per capita have restrictions and that in Ireland our high vax rate keeps our unvaccinated % relatively under control).

Nah, the state taking half of my income is plenty, thanks. You already know this is an issue with efficiency and not funding anyway.

I don’t believe that the prerequisite to having a free society is having X number of icu beds. And I don’t think that “look what other people are doing” is a way of determining right from wrong - I don’t think you do either.

And just a reminder, we’re talking about 300 people out of 5,000,000 in a month :)

And that changes nothing about the unvaccinated disproportionately representing those in hospital with COVID. You've instead got into whataboutery about how many beds exist in a country per capita (likely because the stats blew a big giant hole in your previous narrative, but do go on...).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There has been a cohort since this started to always point the finger at somebody.

Italian Rugby fans, People at Cheltenham, pubs, people queing for fish and chips, joggers, meat factory workers, Bulgarian fruit pickers, Berlin Bar, takeaway pint drinkers, non essential retail, people not wearing masks properly, public transport capacity, traveller funerals, Brazilians, unvaccinated, unboostered people, wrong type of masks, it goes on and on and on.

They have all been proven to be complete and utter Bollox. And the nastiness of the humans pointing the fingers exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You can still see it now. Desperately hounding the unvaccinated despite it being clearly obvious that Omicron is spreading like wildfire through the vaccinated population.

The characteristics of Omicron should immediately make the already useless covid cert even more irrelevant, but the mob will want to retain it just so they can continue their crusade against the tiny minority unvaccinated.

They need their scapegoat, its very sad on their part.

Yep and not forgetting blaming the under 12's and soon will be using the coercion on the parents to get them vaccinated when there is no need for them to vaccinated.

Utter utter tosh with the auld 'let it rip and pearl clutching throwing in for good measure. From your posts I can assume that you don't trust the vaccines as you want to lock away the unvaccinated. Me I want to open up society and see no reason not too with 92% of the country vaccinated. You either trust the vaccines or you don't so which is it? If I am vaccinated what do I care if an unvaccinated person is in a restaurant or gym?

What is Tony Hoolohan on about so?

I mean yeah if I see a crazily crowded shop I'll turn around and maybe go back later, I've been doing that long before COVID though

• Advertisement

Ah now don't be using common sense. I think if most people used common sense instead of waiting to be told what to do we wouldn't need restrictions but unfortunately most folks want to be told what to do and be led by the hand

Advertisement