Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

Nah, the state taking half of my income is plenty, thanks. You already know this is an issue with efficiency and not funding anyway.

I don’t believe that the prerequisite to having a free society is having X number of icu beds. And I don’t think that “look what other people are doing” is a way of determining right from wrong - I don’t think you do either.

And just a reminder, we’re talking about 300 people out of 5,000,000 in a month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

And that changes nothing about the unvaccinated disproportionately representing those in hospital with COVID. You've instead got into whataboutery about how many beds exist in a country per capita (likely because the stats blew a big giant hole in your previous narrative, but do go on...).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There has been a cohort since this started to always point the finger at somebody.

Italian Rugby fans, People at Cheltenham, pubs, people queing for fish and chips, joggers, meat factory workers, Bulgarian fruit pickers, Berlin Bar, takeaway pint drinkers, non essential retail, people not wearing masks properly, public transport capacity, traveller funerals, Brazilians, unvaccinated, unboostered people, wrong type of masks, it goes on and on and on.

They have all been proven to be complete and utter Bollox. And the nastiness of the humans pointing the fingers exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You can still see it now. Desperately hounding the unvaccinated despite it being clearly obvious that Omicron is spreading like wildfire through the vaccinated population.

The characteristics of Omicron should immediately make the already useless covid cert even more irrelevant, but the mob will want to retain it just so they can continue their crusade against the tiny minority unvaccinated.

They need their scapegoat, its very sad on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,628 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Yep and not forgetting blaming the under 12's and soon will be using the coercion on the parents to get them vaccinated when there is no need for them to vaccinated.

• Advertisement

Utter utter tosh with the auld 'let it rip and pearl clutching throwing in for good measure. From your posts I can assume that you don't trust the vaccines as you want to lock away the unvaccinated. Me I want to open up society and see no reason not too with 92% of the country vaccinated. You either trust the vaccines or you don't so which is it? If I am vaccinated what do I care if an unvaccinated person is in a restaurant or gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

What is Tony Hoolohan on about so?

I mean yeah if I see a crazily crowded shop I'll turn around and maybe go back later, I've been doing that long before COVID though

Ah now don't be using common sense. I think if most people used common sense instead of waiting to be told what to do we wouldn't need restrictions but unfortunately most folks want to be told what to do and be led by the hand

The de facto policy now and the past few days is « let it rip ». No one is even pretending to know what the real numbers are anymore.

Even the government and NPHET and a good few people here can now see it’s the only thing that will bring this to an end.

Think people have made up their own minds and are sick of the pontification of Holahan and NPHET. Also with the news that the effects of this new variant is nothing more than a head cold most folks are just getting on with things.

• Advertisement

I trust vaccines (and now another tangent from you) but I also understand that the unvaccinated are much more likely to be hospitalised and that they are also unlikely to get a vaccine now if they haven't already but that if we had just let the restrictions disappear and let it rip that many needless deaths would have occurred (or could still occur).

Omicron will hopefully change that.

If you are unvaccinated you are much more likely to go to hospital if infected and use a bed denying someone else access to that bed solely because you chose to be unvaccinated.

Trusting the vaccine doesn't mean being stupid about the reality of the virus as the loons seem to imply it does, the answers aren't binary.

The data coming from Omicron also doesn't look like there will be any let up in the COVID pass system, it appears that the vaccinated hospitalisation % drops a lot vs. delta but unvaccinated still remain vulnerable. If it does work out that way (and the data is preliminary so it may not) expect the COVID pass to stick around for a while longer. But, by all means, get angry at the virus and the data for doing this, just stop pretending to be protecting the loonies while promoting needless deaths, it is utterly transparent.

Yep, hopefully Omicron allows that, Delta certainly did not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I don't think people are accepting "let it rip" but most people now know someone with it, and can see for themselves how it is affecting a person, so that may "demystify" it so to speak.Although obviously it affects everyone differently, but the more people have it the more socially "acceptable" or "accepted" it becomes and not this thing that is only mentioned in the context of news bulletims about hospitals and ICUs and ventilators.I think the fear is being removed to a certain degree - while nobody is going looking for it, the level of nervousness about it is diminishing as more and more people get it.

Still blaming the handful of vaccinated. You really do not like them. Tell the truth you want everyone jabbed from the cradle to grave whether they want it or not. As for the trust it is you that does not have trust in them by retaining restrictions. By right all restrictions should have been lifted when the over 60's and vulnerable were all vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

And this is partly why Ireland has been so bad with restrictions and with public support for them. I had 15 family members in the uk get covid near the start of all this, before vaccinations. It was a mild cold for all of them, even for the over 70s. There have always been very good odds of being fine, the risk was massively overstated from the start.

Project Fear.

I've consistently said that the last few % won't get vaccinated for whatever reasons. The passes are in place to protect the health system. The overwhelming evidence is that the unvaccinated put a disproportionate amount of pressure on the health system compared to the vaccinated, you whataboutering yourself all over the place doesn't change the facts that exist in the world that we all live in as much as you would like it to. Your hypocritical stance on COVID passes while calling for actions that would cause excess deaths makes you a big giant hypocrite.

Why would you like or not like someone based on their vaccination status? You can like or dislike someone who you think is an idiot in an aspect of their life.

Project Fear was a Brexiteer tactic to try and make Brexit seem wonderful by owning the unknown, unsure how it's relevant here.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

What in God's name has brexit got to do with this. The virus doesn't care about politics

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

does it look like st patricks day will be cancelled again this year? parades etc? Im going to Cheltenham anyway on the wednesday but just wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

At this stage its hard to know what will happen next Wednesday let alone in 2 and a half months time. But the optimist in me would say while it won't be like 2019 it will be a damn sight better than 2020 or 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I was thinking that the other day.

Spot the country that built the biggest empire on the planet vs the country that handed their independence to the Catholic Church the first chance they got.

We're a country that likes being told what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

From the CSO stats, disregarding those that did not declare their status, from August to November the percentage of those unvaccinated in hospital beds was. August 41%, September 38%, October 26.5% November 28%.

During those 4 months the percentage of those unvaccinated was around 7%, so they were over represented by between 4 to 6 times greater than those vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It's so sad to hear people talking about how such and such a person "has it". It's a virus that on the individual level is harmless and that was even before the multiple vaccinations and boosters. We are not in lockdown because it's some terrible disease we are in lockdown because our systems aren't set up to deal with a virus this contagious but that doesn't mean it requires a post mortem evertrime someone gets a positive test, why people are even testing boggles my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The joggers was the worst. How dare somebody run by me!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I would not put much thought into what they achieved in the past empire building. That is long gone, and even those that are left in the U.K. are not listening to England where restrictions are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i think people just mean their a better set up of a nation overall, to be honest i think the republic of ireland is a failed state. we lurch from crisis to crisis and still rely on emigration as a safety valve every 20 years. i would definitley not rule out being back under British rule within 100 years again. This will actually be sped up if we get a United Ireland IRONICALLY

Well they are doing a better job of living with covid than we are. They spent most of year without restrictions of any kind and just got on with things. Where as over here it is hard to know what they are up to. Over 92% vaccinated and still we have restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,781 ✭✭✭billyhead

The valley of the squinting windows or the other saying curtain twitchers. We have turned into a nation of these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Advertisement