Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

It is reasonable to suggest that there was quite a bit going on around Alfie's/Sophie's that the Guards were turning a blind eye to. For people in Sophie's circle who understood this, it wouldn't have been too difficult to work out that any murder in the location was going to prove difficult for the Guards to investigate. Very good cover effectively. It doesn't seem credible that Sophie would be murdered for betraying some cannabis growing operation that the Guards seemed to have known about anyway. There is less credibility for the idea of Bailey being involved, with no motive whatsoever

Whoever did it was determined to see it through. She may well have been expecting someone who she had arranged to meet down at the gate for whatever reason. This is obviously the hit man theory.

The fact that there has been an acknowledgment that the Guards have requested a French man, a friend of Daniel's, be interviewed is no small thing. Are people finally going to come clean?

Bailey`s "I know I didn`t do it" is a pretty classic indicator of deception

by whose definition and what science?

you said

I was surprised a Garda of the lowest rank would even seek and get a search warrant. For readers abroad a Peace Commissioner can be more or less anybody. My neighbour is one. If you want something witnessed they have a rubber stamp. I didn't even know they could issue search warrants. It seems yet another oddity.

you cannot explain what they do because you do not know. They do issue search warrants but the warrants do not speak for themselves. when a garda goes to a pc requesting a search warrant the pc is obliged to question the garda to make him or her make his case as to why he wants one. if he just signs it the defence can have him brought to court to explain his thinking as to why. If he is not available the warrant can be invalidated

It is not an oddity. It is that you do not know anything about PC's or search warrants

Wonder if it was this crop 🤭🤭

A quick browse in local groups shows a fair few incidents of local gards looking pretty pleased with themselves at capturing a fine harvest.

The comments are pretty funny. "like and shared, hope I win!" etc.

As for Sophie being the informant, we don't know. We DO know she was friendly with Alfie at first then the relationship became fractured, but do we know why? She went up there for dinner on more than one occasion so perhaps took offence at his horticulture? Any opinion on that either way is conjecture, however. But we can consider what Josie Hellen said about Alfie, and Sophie wanting newspaper cuttings when he went to trial, and weigh it up the best we can with our limited resources.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

I'd strongly feel Bailey's claim he was a full-time self employed journalist just prior to the murder is a wild exaggeration. He might have earned nothing aside from journalism at the time alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭tibruit

Avinoam Sapir and Scientific Content Analysis. Bailey just needs to say "I didn`t do it", but he doesn`t. It is called circumlocution, which is the act of using more words than necessary in a deliberate attempt to be evasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,281 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He is / was a journalist. Using more words than needed is part of the job description.

Strange you dont apply any of this analysis to other people in the case ... Alfie Lyons and his 'memory is an elusive thing' guff.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭tibruit

I`d say Bailey pays a lot of attention to what gets said about him and he reacts as he needs to. So for example, the body language experts started pointing out how his breath rates increased dramatically when he was asked certain questions. I note that in recent interviews he wears a big scarf that covers his upper chest. He will eventually drop the "I know" from the murder denials no doubt.

Body language is also psuedo science

Doubt Bailey would change his dress for nonsense like that . in any case as his chest will rise the scarf will rise too. He will have to breath, scarf or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

This guy analyses the Bible with this balderdash. He's Israeli, not even a native English speaker. And you expect us to take him seriously. LOL.

https://www.amazon.com/Linguistic-Archaeology-Unearthing-Secrets-Analysis/dp/9655558088

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I looked back for that, didn't find it here or Google search.

And I have been reading this thread from the start

Could you be so kind to link it here........

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Fine lol. Article is June 18th 1994. Newspaper archives.

Fine lol. Article is June 18th 1994. Newspaper archives.

cool lol

Thanks Scooby

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

What part of NOT EXERCISED VERY OFTEN do you not understand. You think the Citizens Information are wrong?

Looks like 31 plants to me. I bet Alfie was might peed off about that.

NOT EXERCISED VERY OFTEN

Makes no difference. one time or a thousand times. There are specific laws that apply

What part of "They do issue search warrants but the warrants do not speak for themselves. when a garda goes to a pc requesting a search warrant the pc is obliged to question the garda to make him or her make his case as to why he wants one. if he just signs it the defence can have him brought to court to explain his thinking as to why. If he is not available the warrant can be invalidated" do you not understand see my screenshot above

Does not matter how often. read the last two paras in the newspaper clip in post 9831 including

"the commissioner had accepted your submission on face value"

Judge wallace agreed with Mrs Hoare's submission that this type of evidence was not sufficient to secure a search warrant

Citizen's info is not where i would seek legal advice.

I am not explaining this to you again. You know nothing about PC or search warrant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭dmc17

Your man on the right looks like he sampled it to confirm it was the real deal 😂

I can see why you are squirming. The guards/judge and Alfie/Leo being hand in glove with drug production opens up the real reason the murder investigation was botched. The same methodology of deliberately bollixing it up was engaged.

And your fulminating at me not knowing this or that and the mighty you refusing to explain. I literally said I did not know PCs issued search warrants. But you seem to think I was claiming expertise.

So squirm away on your hook, hopefully Drew Harris will put away the remaining guards complicit in the cover-up and the real killer, their drug dealing pal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Young guy on left. "Note to self. Get one of those camera things to keep in station. Get rid of colouring pencils and pad".

If the investigation is reopened the questions of need answering

1) When was the cannabis grow bunker built?

2) Who built it and who funded it?

3) Who tended it and at what times?

4) Who distributed the goods? Were other people like shopkeepers or postal staff involved?

5) Who was the informant in 1994?

6) Who was the informant in 2010?

7) If the bunker or other growing facilities were there in 1996 why were they not found during the search following Sophie's murder?

8) Why was known drug grower Alfie Lyons not treated as the most likely suspect immediately? Why was he not arrested and questioned? Why was the mystery dog and the bite not investigated?

Let's just say that when it came to applying the letter of the law in regard to drug searches in those days, and maybe still, there was a lot of latitude.

It failed in court so he didn't get it past the judge

pretty poor by the cop and pc though, seemed to think it was rubber stamp. I'd say a lot of PC's are pretty thick

It failed? You'd have to know what success would be in this case

Just had a good look at the above .

The bit that interest me is,

Garda Prenderville said he had confidential information from a source that been reliable in the past

So Garda Prenderville confidential information who helped with other cases in the past.

Unless Sophie was doing a "Jessica Fletcher going around the vicinity getting evidence against other criminals, this suggests to me that she was not the informant in Alfie's trial in 1994.

I Wonder if the informant in 1994 was the same informant in 2010.

If is was the same informant that would definitely rule out Sophie as she was deceased at that time.

IMO Sophie was not the informant in Alfie's trial

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Can't answer all these questions but I can state that Alfie did grow and use cannabis (he did not sell any - or ever use hash) but stopped around 1995 for health reasons. There were no cannabis plants belonging to Alfie on his property - or on any one else's in August 1996. I know because I was on his property, walked around the whole place, would recognise both plants and a grow house, and there was a lot of teasing of Alfie over his plants being eaten by goats before he got around to destroying them.

As a by the by - cannabis cultivation was (and still is) widespread in West Cork.

Seen as you are here Bannasidhe.

Could you let us know at what time did you hear about the murder of Sophie on the day she died?

Did you know that it was Sophie who was murdered?

How did you hear about the murder.

Please don't take these questions as an interrogation, I'm just curious about how the news spread about Sophie's murder.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

When they're not eating supermacas & scratching their arses, this is what their upto. Gards screwing local women who are married has long been a thing. Scumbags, wouldnt put anything past them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement