Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir 5G Mobile broadband

Options
  • 23-11-2021 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

I finally got my 5G CPE and trying out now to see if it makes sense to upgrade my 4G plan. 5G is 15 quid extra/month

Switched it on this morning, good news is I have 5G (5 bars) . Not so good is that maxes out at around 54Mbps DL and 10 UL. Whereas my 4G modem next to it delivers 100+ DL and 20+ UL.

Ping is slightly better ( 13/14 ms vs 18-21ms), but not sure it warrants the additional 15 quid.

But I don't understand the logic of 5G speeds being lower. Seems they restrict the speeds on 5G but not on 4G. I will try and see how it behaves at peak time.

Just wondering if other people have similar experience, I found an older thread where it was also suggested that Eir restricts at 50.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

I tested it for a few days and my 4G was always faster.

Also took the modem into the nearest town and checked. The modem at 5G delivered 80 down and sometimes even 80 up. My phone with 4G delivered 220 down and around 30-35 up.

So- in short Eir 5G service IS providing lower download speeds than 4G (at least in my area). It had slightly better pings and higher upload speeds.

Until there is a compelling reason to upgrade my 4G to 5G - I will stick with 4G.

Now wish me luck in returning the device , not getting billed for 5G and keeping my 4G service alive.. I feel another comreg saga coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fearmhor18

Glad someone is having similar experience. My GOMO sim (although they claim not have 5G) is getting around 210mbs down and great ping. My Eir 5G home broadband is maxing at about 50mbs but can drop down below 10mbs. I've been complaining on Twitter DM and I am getting the sim replaced tomorrow hopefully at local Eir store. I'll let you know if that makes a difference though I doubt it will. I am of the opinion that Eir have just restricted their 5G network so it isn't more attractive than their fixed line products. I can't get fixed line broadband (and NBI is 2026) at all so its annoying that my 5G is good but probably heavily limited by Eir.

Got my new Eir replacement sim. Exact same results. Eir are just throttling the life of their home 5G broadband. Been safer sticking to the 4G and saving the 15euro a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bilibob

I'm having a similar issue with Eir. When we first received the modem we were getting speeds of over 400 MB/s but for the last couple of weeks its maxing out at 16MB/s. I think its suspicious that the speed has dropped off quite so much <after> the 14 day cooling off period. Living in Kilmainham, an area with full 5G signal.

I called Eir today, usual story- 30 minutes on hold, they wanted me to try the sim in my phone (which has 5g). I did so, and while slightly better (90MB/s) I noticed that the phone never connected to 5g, even after an hour, as the support technician said it could take, staying on 'LTE'

So here we are locked into a contract paying €15 extra per month for a 5G service that we are not receiving- I am also going to take this to ComReg.

That's very disappointing. I'm going to be attempting to cancel my contract as service not been provided. Pay the hefty price maybe for Starlink. To think you had some people suggesting 5G as an alternative to the NBI rollout. Hardly anyone using 5G in rural Ireland and they've it completely throttled. My understanding was it had large bandwidth to handle lots of connections..guess not.

• Advertisement

So I sent my 5g modem back, happy out with my 100 Mb/s plus speeds on 4g. Spoke to a very helpful lady to cancel the upgrade of my plan which shocked me having dealt with Eir in the past few weeks with a lot less helpful people ( if I even got to speak to someone)

Helpful as she may have been, I can see on November bill, this cancellation didn't make it despite the bill dating from after my cancellation.. So that will be another battle I guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I signed up and am having same issue.. I placed my 5G router high and it fell there's a slight dint on top and small mark on side.. Would I still be fit to return it?

Ideally just want to stick with the 30euro plan as its much faster...

I have 14 day cooling period which started Friday

Nobody here will be able to answer that, but I would just chance it as long as you didn't actually break the device. I can't imagine there to be any quality control on the returns knowing Eir. Just clean up as best as you can and use all of the original packaging. Call them and get a self post padded envelope from them... Double check that they won't charge you for the new plan- as they have clearly started doing for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Thanks I still have my 4G Plan so currently paying for both..

Vodafone have a 5G Unlimited Plan that may be faster... As the 5G Plan for EIR is only 750GB of data.. I might chance it today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

dont drop it again

• Advertisement

I was able to cancel my contract with Eir today after a good bit of troubleshooting. In fairness to the staff I dealt with they were all excellent and done what they could to fix the issue first but eventually gave way and cancelled. It's really frustrating as the speeds are there but Eir can't provide it. Only alternative now is to go back to 4G with Eir, Starlink, Imagine 5G (I heard have stupid restrictions on daily usage). Does anyone know if the Eir sim that ruralwifi.ie sell is just an eir sim or would it be like its own virtual network on Eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cloudturtle

Just posting this for others who try it out and all that jazz. I got the 5g broadband, tried it upstairs and downstairs in multiple rooms, I had 5 full bars for the 5g but it wouldn't work properly, basically 4g speeds or even way lower. Keep in mind I have a 5g phone that gets 500mb everywhere in my house.

I put the 5g modem in the Window to chance it before returning it and only got 3 bars of 5 for 5g, but it actually worked, I get up to 500mb. Only near a window does it actually use the 5g network properly for me. This is with the "huawei 5g cpe pro 2" they provide.

Another annoyance is, the wifi is horrible at default settings "a/n/ac/ax", I changed it to a/n/ac", before if I'm a bit away I could barely reach 40mb, but with this changed I can get around 400mb in a different room. (Keep in mind when you change this setting, you need to "forget" the wifi on your laptop, phone etc or you can't reconnect.)

The pure amount of hassle with this internet when starting off is absolutely annoying.

Just an update. I put my Eir 5G broadband SIM in my phone and the speeds were the same as my GOMO which is great. But as soon as it's in the router it drops down to 25mbs. It's definitely not an internal network issue or WiFi as when I put my GOMO SIM in the router it continues to work perfectly. I wonder if their is a different speed profile for the Eir 5G home broadband compared to when it's put in a mobile?

Thanks. My router is on the attic and gets the full 5G signal. I wonder would moving it around help as it did in your situation. Maybe an alternative router but they're pricey for 5G

Hi, I Just want to point out that I had the router in the attic as well and got a full 5G signal, but didn't get 5g speeds either. 5g only worked properly in front of a window, I did have to leave it there for a couple of minutes before it worked properly. Try in front of a few Windows and see if you can get it to work that way. It seems walls blocked it, and even in the attic as well shockingly with the router.

Best of luck though.

Let me ask you .... are you here contradict yourself or are you talking different devices? Are you achieving this on 4G(unreal) or 5G:

Another annoyance is, the wifi is horrible at default settings "a/n/ac/ax", I changed it to a/n/ac", before if I'm a bit away I could barely reach 40mb, but with this changed I can get around 400mb in a different room. (Keep in mind when you change this setting, you need to "forget" the wifi on your laptop, phone etc or you can't reconnect.)

If i read correctly, your are able to get 400Mbps, and its irrelevant - 4G/5G, ax/ac , still over router, and you still unhappy?

Not stating Eir(or any other) 5G is good, but still....

If you have decent 4G speeds - stick with that. I had imagine before- twice the price and very inconsistent in terms of speed during peak hours. And yes, the method they use for the cap makes very little sense and effectively means a 20GB daily cap.

Rural wifi I have no knowledge of.

This is all through 5G via the huawei 5g cpe pro 2, I'm achieving the 400mb speeds via 5G when it works properly which is only when I have it near a Window. I'm definitely happy about the speeds! It's good for me. Regarding the Wifi, I changed it and it resolved an issue with maintaining the speeds when further away from the router, in a different room for example. I had issues with the wifi as a separate issue that affected speeds wifi wise, nothing to do with the 5g speeds. I do hope I'm not confusing anyone, I'm happy out with it now and it's all working superb(I was annoying starting out to get things working properly)

If you're confused about the 40mb vs the 400mb thing, that was an issue with the wifi i was having. I apologize if it seems like I'm contradicting myself about this stuff. if you need further explanation, feel free to ask and I explain the best i can.

This absolutely different mood from your original post. Good to know you are able to get ~400Mbps. Not all have this luxury.

I would have nailed it to the window.

I'll try a window. The only confusion I would have there is that when I put my GOMO SIM in the router while in the attic it works fine (100-250mb). It seems to be the Eir SIM card that changes speed when in the router. But I'll move it and try as you advise, no harm. I'm also going to try a different 5G router. I'll update for anyone who might be encountering similar issue.

• Advertisement

Bought a new ZTE 5G router. Unfortunately no change. Eir SIM card is throttled when it recognises it is in a modem by the looks of things. GoMo SIM running at 150mb plus in phone and router while Eir SIM is fine in mobile but drops when in modem. Thought it may have been Eir firmware on the Huawei modem causing this but it must be on Eirs side as same occurrence in an unlocked ZTE

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rounders

So I've had a read through the other posts. Debating picking up a modem tomorrow.

Is the summary that speeds can vary but putting near a window solves a lot of this and alter the settings on the Modem?

Currently getting 1.6mbps on the 4G. On a good day I get 12mbps.

Also there is a 14 day change of mind? Did anyone have major issues getting out of contract after the change of mind by claiming you aren't getting the service as described etc?

Hi Rounders, the 14 day cooling off period is only applicable if you've ordered the service online is my understanding. Distance selling regulations I believe.

My experience right now with Eir 5G is that it will suffice if you are getting awful slow speeds currently. But my 4G+ speeds come in quicker? It won't be great for gaming or live streaming or anything that I thought 5G promises. The 4G at 30eur p/month might be better. I would order the 5G as a new customer..test it and if no noticeable improvement cancel. Let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lenoude

Yeah there's between 5-10 days to return when bought in store. Always err on the side of caution and return by the 5th day. You'll know fairly quick if it's suitable or not

I'll pick up tomorrow morning and keep ye posted. Currently on that 30pm plan for 4G but looking for better speeds. Last few months it seems the local transmitter has been throttled or something. Used to get consistent 8 - 10mbps and 12 at good times. Now averaging 3 - 4 on a good day

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Currently getting 1.6mbps on the 4G. On a good day I get 12mbps.

If your signal presently is poor, fix the signal.

If your signal presently is ok, then your issue is unlikely to be fixed by changing from LTE-A to 5G. Sites with decent links to core will never go that slow on modern 4G w/ good signal to the UE (your modem).

Yeah there's between 5-10 days to return when bought in store.

All online orders get 14day change of mind. If you want change of mind you should order online as its statutory not a good will offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lenoude

I worked in eir recently. It what was advised to customers. Anyone that had signal issues we took it back with no issue and cancelled it down. Not goodwill.

Update on above. Could only get 5G in very select places dispite being covered on the coverage map on the website and when I did get 5G I couldn't get anywhere near 5G speeds. Best speed I could get was 22mbps. Handy feature with the box to test the strength of your 4g and 5g signal on different places. Got up to 75% signal on 5G but made no difference. Even tried running a power cable out to the middle of the garden with no trees or buildings around and couldn't get good speeds.

Moved around my 4G box and found better speeds. Just a very awkward corner of the house to get the wifi to reach the rest of the house and to run power etc but we'll manage.

One interesting comment from the Eir store that they had three people alone return the 5G modem on the day I brought it back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

My area in Sligo is down as full 5G coverage , I went into the Eir store and was told no way is it covered as the hardware is still being installed .

At the moment I have a 4g router and a Three prepay SIM in it

I am thinking of picking up an Eir 5g prepay and sticking it in the router to see what 4g speeds I can get and also testing it on a 5g phone to keep an eye on when the coverage kicks in. Does Eir have a strict usage policy on prepay?

I think I should be able to double my current 4gspeeds as people are getting 120mb not too far away. Three is getting flakey but normally around 30mb which does the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Same issues for me. Never get any more than ~70Mbps on Eir 5G.

The attached photo is of 2 speed tests from the same location, same device (Z Fold 3).

The 4G+/LTE always way faster than 5G. with one exception in September last year when I got 100Mbps on 5G.

Has to be throttling

Advertisement