Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Leicester did a job on us there. We just weren’t at it and missed ridiculous chances. It happens. Onwards to beat Chelsea now.

Even Milner looked his age tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

We were never going to win the league. Results against worse teams then leicester showed that already. The big question is are the club willing to do what needs to get done to bridge the gap between is and City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really wish Matip would have the belief to take a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Plenty of decent chances in the first half. Of we score the penalty then it's a different game. Very flat in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

But a bunch of yanks you're ok with? Lol...

I couldn't give a shite who's handing over the money, the only thing that matters is the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,284 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Our set pieces were piss poor all game. Never a sniff against one of the worst set piece defences in the league. An off night all over the pitch. No stand out performances in that game for me. Bar Matip who was mostly excellent all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

As far as I'm aware FSG haven't been involved in genocide or human rights violations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Never really taught we could keep with City.

I'd go for the fizzy cola cup and try to stay in the big one.

We just need to stay out of the top 4 race. Finish 2nd or 3rd and go for broke in the cups.

Mane and Bobby are done. Hopefully the owners have a plan otherwise I fear Klopps last couple of years will be poxy.

I'd actually hold onto Nat Phillips too and sell Gomez

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,112 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

1-0 and Milner is who you have to sub on because the only other option is Jones who IMO is very hot and cold.

This says it all. Firmino came on and did nothing. Mane swanning about ruining almost everything he touches.

Jota wasn’t great but he has been very good all season and he is exceeding expectations so I don’t actually blame him.

The others there are no more excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Although I agree with you, do you think anyone can truly compete with the City levels of investment and not worry about ending up with a mountain of unsustainable debt. And it’s not just purchases but unsustainable wages have to be looked at. I’ll draw the ire of Utd fans here but they paid City level wages but didn’t recruit the City level of player. We can’t do both purchase and wages.

Barca, arguably once the richest club in the world (self titled) have ended up in bits competing against PSG in investment.

FFP has been made a mockery of and football is eating itself with waaaay to much power in the hands of the vastly wealthy clubs, something smaller clubs have been saying for a very long time, even before Chelsea oligarchs, City and PSG oil nations level of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

If Rogers was a chocolate bar (even a **** one) he'd try and eat himself. 

Watch his post match interview he will be unable to stop himself from breaking down a tactical masterclass that only he could orchestrate. 

I think there is a middle ground between mega spending and what we’ve done.

A title winning squad was allowed to fester. I’ve said it lots of times. The longer you allow it to fester the harder it is to fix the problems. You have to keep the squad fresh with new faces, there is always some area that can be improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I don't think its any is over reaction just realisation kicking in for a lot of fans who thought we could take on City this season. As I've stated before on here it was never an option if City turned up this season. Best anyone could have hoped for from the start of the season was an 80+ season for us and hope that City have a stinker. I still think we can give the CL a good run....City will put 6 past Brentford tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

we could do with a younger pacy replacement/competition for Mane. He’s been flat for some time compared to how brilliant he was. He seems easily man marked now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Still can't get over the Mane miss at 0-0

That’s very funny. I genuinely LOL’d. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The fact is, bar Pep's City, and the Liverpool of the calendar years of 2019 and 2020, teams are never expected to be pretty much perfect to win a league.

That is the reality City operate in. It is different to what anyone else's is.

These nights generally happen for every title winning team in history. Pep's City is literally the only one that doesn't allow it. That ludicrous perfection forces us to analyse this type of night in a way it doesn't deserve to be.

This is not normal. Winning 15-20 games in a row in order to win a title isn't meant to be normal. I used to watch brilliant title winning teams routinely lose, and the 'sign of Champions is how you respond'. Not anymore. It's about never having to really respond, and never allowing yourself to really have a bad day.

Again. That is mental.

I still remember during our title winning season, people begging City to win it to stop us 'destroying football'. Without Klopp, this league would be no better than the Bundesliga. This league was broken years ago. Klopp merely covered the cracks.

City have it won in reality. As they should every year. And will do as long as Pep stays with that backing. We'll fight with Chelsea for second, which in the cold light of day, is still overachieving.

Unlucky for the lads tonight. We were good enough to win, but we're not perfect, so we missed chances we'd normally bury, we'd a couple of dodgy individual performances, and conceded from Leicester's first threat.

It's football (well, at least what it used to be).

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

I recall alot of posters calling it that both Firmino and Mane were done last season.

Instead we've let their form and value depreciate another year. It's pretty criminal we didn't replace at least one of them in the summer.

Now you have the uncertainty surrounding Salah's contract along with the other 2 surely at the end of the road. It's madness, and makes you question whether FSG are just happy enough being like Arsenal under Wenger, champions League money every year but not willing to spend to contend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

In a macabre way, I kinda wish City would put 6 past Brentford tomorrow. If they drop points the result tonight would sting massively. As it is, I just think a very good team (us) losing games away is par for the course.

City have the backing of a Gulf state.

• Advertisement

This stuff is just pure defeatist revisionism.

Sure we may as well just not bother playing the league next season, save everyone the hassle and just give them the trophy in August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

We need better players. That’s on Klopp as much as it’s on FSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lads city bought a 100m player they didn't even need. Don't get too down, we need investment but those players give everything. Salah will get his contract but mane and firmino shouldn't be offered new ones.

Maybe we will win the league again,hopefully we can and it would be some achievement.

Well lets hope Salah doesn't pick up a season ender injury at AFCON we will need him for the Champions League.

Maybe just maybe Mane hits a bit of form at the AFCON.

We need at least two top level forward signings in the summer ideally one should be bought next month.

I’m not sure there is a middle ground when you have City levels of cash to compete against. We have refreshed but with the ‘ole diamond in the rough levels of spending rather than a superstar which is what City can do. I’m not sure even Chelsea can compete with this.

The PL is making a fortune so it ain’t going to change to a FFP system. The Germans have that system for their league and the Spanish claim a version of it by restricting Barca purchases this year but it’s clearly not working there. It’s aim was to ensure no bankruptcy. Utd would be a monster club with FFP in place so maybe we wouldn’t be happy with that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Leicester hit the target once and won the game, while we dominated but couldn't finish any of our 21 shots, it's hard to judge the team considering those stats. Just one of those games.

Why are people making City out to be unbeatable? This really gets on my wick. Now that we're out of it, the idea now is to paint it like it was completely impossible for us to win it anyway.

Guardiola has been at City for 5 complete seasons and not won the league in 2 of them. He is not infallible and City are not insurmountable. It's difficult, but we know it's doable cause we've done it.

All that said, our problem is not Guardiola and it's not City. It's our own squad.

Mane has flattered to deceive for 2 seasons now. Firmino is a shadow of his former self. Keita was signed and has just not worked, it's time to cut losses on this one. Wijnaldum was let go and not replaced. Ox has not really regained any notable form in the past few years. Minamino was signed and can't be trusted to be anything more than a bit-part player. Origi is still around but is obviously not trusted. Milner is playing far more often than he should be.

These problems are nothing to do with City's money.

If we don't make some big signings in the summer I guarantee we will be having this exact same discussion this time next year. Guarantee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What's your solution when you are competing with unlimited oil money? They'll buy haaland in the summer, well take a punt at around 30-40m on another jota level signing?

You do love to post when there's a bad result 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Origi, Taki, Firmino need replacing before Mane,

• Advertisement

A Jota-level signing would be better than the dross being served up by Mane on an all too frequent basis. Jota is keeping Firmino out of the team let's not forget, and rightly so, so I wouldn't be turning my nose up at players like that.

This is a better solution than doing nothing and talking about how it's impossible to win the league anyway so why bother.

Origi, Minamino, Keita, Ox, at a minimum, need to be shown the door in the summer. Every one of these needs to be replaced with someone better. Not a 100million player each, but someone better.

Mane doesn't need replaced, he just needs competition for his spot.

Sometimes we'll score 5, and everything goes in, but once in a while this happens, and we score none, when usually we get at least 2.

Had we scored two tonight we'd praise this performance hugely for how dominate it was, but we never took our chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's not. It's reality.

Yes, I hope at the start of every season that we can win it. But the odds are never in favour of it.

We need to be perfect to win the League in this era. That's just a fact. We were perfect for two calendar years, barely getting an injury to a big player, and won it once. Theirs is a standard nobody can consistently reach without the backing they have. Its miraculous that we're even near where they're at.

The Champions League is far more winnable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I can see why Bowen was being looked at in the summer now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

PPG and percentage of points win by each team so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

City won't disappoint you, they will pummel Brentford tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

What do you mean it’s in Klopp? Are you expecting him to buy players with his own money?

Liverpool now 8-1 for the title, that's a great ew with it paying two places.

• Advertisement

We play Leicester 4 league games from now, so revenge will come fast.

City have Brentford A, Arsenal A, Chelsea H, Southampton A

While we play Chelsea next, Brentford H, Palace A

I can't see us losing two in a row, or not scoring twice in a row, so watch out Chelsea. While City have a tricky run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

I know it's pure bitterness/grumpiness but I always get extra annoyed when we lose and the other team celebrates like theyve won the world cup , I know it shows how good wev become but it's like ah F off its a league game.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

I know where you are coming from but I do feel it’s a wider issue than just one of those games where we have an off night in front of goal . We have scored 1 , even 2 goals and multiple times allowed teams back in games even while dominating (Brighton, City, Brentford, athletico , and just recently spurs to name afew) . We are just conceding too many goals.

Its so frustrating to see us probing with minutes of Possession sluggish moving ball around right and left and suddenly a loose pass and we continually get caught on the break. We had a warning even before the goal and Mane shocking miss. The ball gets pinged to where Trent should and lookman left him for dead and got his goal. We are conceding so many goals and Trents space he leaves is continually exploited. Mane miss just beforehand was a killer as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Bet you didn’t see us lose 6 home games in a row last season 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Mane has 18 months left on his contract I think. Don't see him getting a new one from Liverpool. So they'll either sell him next Summer with a year left or let him run out his contract in 2023.

Been a great player for Liverpool but physically he seems in decline. I can't remember the last time I saw him take on and skin a defender. Something he used to do all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

I know it’s only December but I’m in the camp of the league been over unfortunately, hoping I’m wrong.

city are just a machine.

Thought they would win it, but now realise they are going to walk it. We needed to invest up front and we didn’t. Just didn’t look fresh tonight even with all the chances.

champs league is still a possibility though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

i dont get this what is he supposed to do... yer man is jumping and he decides not to?? so what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

If we fail to beat Chelsea it's definitely all over, I think the 6 point gap to City is too big even at this early stage to close, with the way City are scoring lately it's effectively a 7 point gap, very hard to see how we gain 7 points on this City side. The league is gone and we'll comfortablely finish in the top 3, so think we should concentrate on the cup competitions myself they are out best chances of silverware this season, we have a very good chance of winning the league cup and will go close in the CL, we should also prioritise the FA cup too, haven't had a good run in the FA cup in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

I agree with his. I hope and expect we sign someone for his position this window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

nope, they will find a way to get the game called off.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement