Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So who has covid? Nov 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Wasn't two years ago but it is now because everyone is vaccinated and a mild variant is dominating. Omicron is a living vaccine. Open things up now while boosters are most effective. It's not like restrictions are doing much anyway. It's clearly everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Next door neighbours positive and not doing a great job of isolating.

Work colleague positive. Miracle at this stage that we have not caught it in this house.

Speedy recovery to all in here who are positive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mrs got her positive test today and I got the negative text. So weird, we live together been in each other's company the whole time and been close. I had the Janssen in July.

I never get colds and flus luckily enough in the past. Is there a chance I can avoid it altogether?

Maybe. I've been directly exposed to four clusters of it that I know of in the last two months. Not cohabiting couples close I grant you but pretty damned close, including half a day in a car with someone who got a positive 36 hours later(who then went on to give it to at least four other people). And I got nada. A possible positive on an antigen test, but a PCR test two days later was a negative. I'm vaccinated too(Janssen like yourself in Sept), but also had covid early in the year(asymptomatic other than loss of smell), so am figuring maybe the two together is what protected me so far? Someone similar to me; Janssen(I doubt the vaccine matters) and had covid, has also avoided getting it over the last few months and he's in a similar situation to you. His wife got it a fortnight ago, as did their kids. Not him.

I knew of similar kinda stories even before the vaccines rolled out. Families living together, one partner would get it and be symptomatic, the other partner wouldn't. Some of their kids would, others wouldn't. It's a bloody weird pox. The percentage of asymptomatic and positive is something like 30-40%. I'd be interested to see the figures for those who never catch it, but should. It seems some have/had an inbuilt resistance to it. In families like that maybe the partner who didn't get it gave that legacy to the kid(s) who didn't?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

More severe viruses can always occur as the result of mutations, but they have less chances to stick around.

the Spanish flue did eventually get replaced by milder forms of flue.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

Just to give my own story. Double jabbed with Moderna and on the 12th December, I started to feel poorly so booked myself in for a test on the Monday afternoon of the 13th. Felt bad on Monday, worse on Tuesday. Badly congested and taste and smell gone. Headache, sore throat, dry cough and just feeling incredibly fatigued. The positive test came back on Wed morning. My missus then had to isolate as well. Thought I was beginning to feel better on the Friday but then Saturday came and it was the worst I had felt. Felt like utter c**p. I read that the 2nd week can be the worst and that can be when many go to the hospital.

The Wife began to feel poorly on the Sunday the 19th and tested on Monday and she came back positive on Tuesday. She then had what she described as "three days of hell". She felt truly woeful. No loss of taste or smell though. She was wiped out, sleeping during the day, pounding headache, no appetite and no energy and persistent dry cough and sore throat.

So two of us were holed up here for Christmas. Only now, some 16 days after my symptoms started is my taste and smell coming back and I'm starting to feel like my old self. Still tired though.

Bear in mind, I have not taken a single sick day off work in 7 years and have no underlying conditions bar some light asthma. I'm on no medication, and I'm not overweight. I'm 50 and the wife is 48 and she too has no underlying medical condition. I suspect both of us had Delta as Omicron seems a lot milder.

Thank god for the Vaccine. I am convinced it stopped me from feeling worse and stopped the disease from embedding in my lungs.

I've had the Flu twice in my life. I know it was just twice because I'll never forget both episodes and this is definitely not the flu but it's a slower moving virus. The flu hits you like an artic truck and you fall really ill so quickly but then it lasts just a few days and you recover dramatically quickly as well. Covid-19 comes on slow and you feel bad for longer.

Make no mistake, this is a nasty virus. I hope Omicron is taking Delta's place as a milder disease should be away more manageable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I wonder had anyone had a similar experience to mine:

Myself and the rest of my family all tested positive for Covid about a month ago. Got the usual symptoms. It was more severe than I expected as many on here have already noted (I'm fully vaxxed but not boosted yet). My wife also got a bad enough dose but kids were asymptomatic.

A week after we were finished with isolation I got another cold. Symptoms similar enough to Covid but not as severe. Did an antigen test to be sure and it can back negative. Had me doing very little for the guts of another week.

Then Christmas morning i wake up absolutely dead to the world. Just cannot get going. Put it down to tiredness but subsequently develop cold symptoms yet again and have been very poorly the last few days. Again negative antigen.

So three viral infections in the space of a month. Am I just unlucky or is this some kind of Covid hangover? Spoke to a gp who suggested it could be long Covid but that was a phone consultation and he wasn't my usual gp.

Anyone had a similar experience to this? It's starting to wear at me at this stage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

More severe viruses can always occur as the result of mutations, but they have less chances to stick around.

Smallpox. One of the deadliest human viruses in history. The nasty type killed a third of the infected and left another third fecked for life(blindness was common) and the really nasty type killed two thirds of people. It had been with us for over two thousand years. Didn't get any milder*. Seemed pretty good at sticking around in evolutionary terms.

the Spanish flue did eventually get replaced by milder forms of flue.

Yes and no. The Spanish flu variant burned through the population leaving the recovered and therefore immune, or the dead, who couldn't get any more immune. It ran out of hosts, rather than mutating down to being less nasty. Meanwhile out there somewhere at the same time, likely in East Asia in a pig farm with some ducks hanging around the next years flu variant was a growing...

*though did leave some natural resistance in European population genetics. A missing CCR5 receptor or something like that. I have it myself, which gives resistance to plague, smallpox and by happy accident HIV of all things.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Terrible fatigue seems to be the standout symptom among the people I know who've had it and were symptomatic. A "head cold with flu level fatigue" was how a friend of mine described it. Him and his better three quarters are over the worst of it nigh on two weeks later, but both are still feeling the tiredness, though it's coming in spurts now rather than all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fevertrees

Wtf do I do?

I was double jabbed with Pfizer back in August. I caught it Mid-Novemeber so I feel like I must be immune, right?

It seems like my town is riddled with it ( isn't everywhere?). Should I bother telling my boss? Am I obligated to? I mean won't I still test positive even if I've been recovered for a month? Would I ve some sort of freak of nature if I managed to get it again?

To clarify, I have zero symptoms.

Post edited by fevertrees on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

No your not immune, yes you should tell your boss, assuming they need to know for business purposes. You won't be positive if you had it a month ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

How can you be sure he won't be positive if you say he isn't immune at present?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

There's no one immune completely, that's why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

How do you mean? Are they mixing with people or going for a walk in the countryside?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Fact is you had Delta and this is probably omicron

I had booster and tested positive 3 weeks later. I had it in October too

This time was a piece of piss but I got out today and now my wife is positive

the gift that keeps on....

Wait, you had Covid in October and tested positive again this month??

I've heard of people testing positive after 3 months of having it (again) but not 2 months.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Yes there have been reports of people who tested positive even six weeks ago (presumably delta) doing so again this week (presumably omicron).

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Book a PCR. Reports that antigen tests aren't sensitive enough to pick up omicron and I had a mix of positive and negative results when I was waiting for my PCR.

EDIT: Sorry, I just copped that you didn't say you had any symptoms. Probably don't need the PCR in that regard but just be wary if you do develop symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,077 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think a PCR test is of no use 6 weeks after a positive test. You could still show up positive from previous infection. You should do antigen tests three of them two days apart.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

I mean mixing with people.

Quick one on testing folks , I see whining about the whole private testing no symptoms thing. The whole point of those centres is facilitate travel / business. Therefore they don't want or need positives. That's why. Right or wrong, I'd use it myself if I had to now but that's why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

Not a doctor but I’ve had similar post-viral issues and a very good friend has long Covid. Worth your while doing a bit of reading about it. One thing I’d really recommend is trying to pace yourself, to manage your energy levels. Pay attention to exactly how much you can do before becoming exhausted, don’t be tempted to over-exert yourself, you may end up paying for it as it may prolong the fatigue or ‘crash’ each time. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

So you are saying the 1 in 25 will have sickness strong enough for a hospital visit….

We are having about 10k cases per day now so that means about 400 people a day could be hospitalised….

wont take long before the hospitals are busting out the doors…

your figures !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Tested positive last night based on an antigen test. Had developed a slight cough yesterday and was due to go to work today so I took the test out of caution. Isolating now and have booked in for a paid for test. On waking this morning I've noticed my cough has become more chesty and phlegmy. Is this normal? I'm double vaccinated and boosted since last week

Post edited by opinionated3 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

This was what hse told me. Not to bother with pcr testing for 3 months at least after infection as will be positive. Stick with antigen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Felt bunged up last week (just sniffles and sneezing) but because I was going to my parents for Xmas Day I did Antigen tests from Tues till Xmas morning and all were negative. Felt fine by Xmas Eve anyway.

Because I'm meant to be visiting friends today I decided to take another test yesterday and it came back positive. Did another one this morning and positive again. Luckily I'm working from home so don't have to take leave. I feel absolutely fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 deag20221

Not sure what I have.

Booster on 22nd. Aches and head cold after. Still a bit of a blocked nose.

Antigens every day since 22nd. Negative but posotive last 3 days including on 27th when I had a PCR which came back negative!! OH positive since 23rd and has had a bad flu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yes my husband has had at least three doses since October plus bad reaction to his booster. And he sliced his thumb just before Christmas. Sigh.

He might have had covid in November. We aren’t sure. ( I started this thread )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I don't think 'being sick' means hospitalisation. Just with some symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

PCRs coming back negative on people who are clearly positive on antigen. So if we didn’t use antigen how many people would presume they didn’t have Covid ?

So what does that say about numbers and positivity before we used antigens ? It would make you wonder really

• Registered Users Posts: 3 deag20221

Id say I do too. Just strange the PCR did not pick it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

I felt my PCR they barely shoved the stick up the snozzer .....I be nearly touching brain with the antigen 🤣🤣

Day 4 ...... Moved on to upper chest tightness....head cold symptoms still stuffyness,No temp,no loss of smell or taste ......kinda hope I don't lose them as I'm in the catering trade and it would be a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Day 10 after I developed symptoms and my antigen is clear, so I’m over it now I think.

Ive felt great for about 4 days now, just a bit of gunk in my nasal passage but that is all. Blessed that I had a mild dose, I am lucky on that front.

To those who have tested positive the last few days, hope you all feel well very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭chooey

thats what I have and I just got a positive pcr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I'm bored off my head in isolation already😀. Hoping the ten days passes quickly and without deterioration in my condition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭chooey

Me too! I feel ok at the moment with just a bit of a phlegmy (ew hate that word😂) cough. Really hope I don’t get worse. Same with yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I've been isolating since the 23rd in a house on my own. So I'm not too bad. Have the freedom of the house and back garden. I'm bloody fit to kill. Climbing the walls. I feel sorry for those confined to their rooms. They must be me x 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Surely the best time to get this is Jan the 5th or so, about a day or two after returning to the office.

Would cause mass spread and ensure the majority of the country have it cleared by the end of the month, job is oxo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Would you not be ok to go for a long walk etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

The advice was stay to the house and the back garden (and that's only because I'm alone in the house). I'm sure I'd be grand on a walk if I was careful but it isn't allowed under the rules and I'm almost there now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Cool. Id be going for walks and cycles etc.

Cant see the harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

All positive in my house, first one antigen pos Christmas Eve, myself and OH on ChristmasDay , and all 3 on PCR on St Stephen's Day....Happy Christmas!

The rest got symptoms and positive antigens yesterday after testing negative 2 days previously. Waiting on pcrs tomorrow for them.

All have headaches, temperatures and snuffly noses, dry cough. First guy ok after Day 3 but feels tired .

My OH and I are still wrecked on Day 5 now. He has mainly just a little cough and feeling clammy .

I have been running a temperature , high on Christmas Day and Stephen's Day, normal today but clammy. Headache and very tired.

Chills .really wheezy cough , on inhalers as have mild asthma , and have been put on steroids by GP . Got a bit panicky a couple of nights ago as felt I couldn't catch my breath .

Lost my taste on Christmas Day :( ...after all the preparations....Just tasting salt like crisps ok . Sense of smell gone yesterday.

Food left over uneaten still from Christmas which never happens here normally .

Last 3 younger kids( teens and early twenties ) all just mild symptoms so far and hopefully will stay that way.

We are all fully vaxxed ,with the first three of us sick, triply vaxxed , due to underlying conditions .

Am hoping that will ensure nobody ends up getting sicker , but am a bit worried and feeling sorry for myself at the moment .

So its not exactly a walk in the park at the minute .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Jaysis.

Hope you all recover soon.

Sorry to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

I am going to tell you secret....

You will be 100% for sure. I believe in it and i will pray for your recovery. Keep it up it wont take long!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Denzel123

Sister’s child tested positive 5 weeks ago not vaccinated as she is 9years old

Her teenage sister tested positive on the 21st Dec so my sister is doing antigen tests on the rest of the family. Didn’t test the 9 year old as she had it few weeks ago but did today and the test showed up positive !

surely the 9yr old couldn’t have COVID again ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Unfortunately looks like you can get Omicron even if you had Delta but thankfully not the other way round. Hopefully she gets better soon. Slightly dreading my kids going back to school as they always bring stuff home, just not COVID, yet.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Aw GG . I am sorry . Same here positive Christmas eve and had sore throat and heavy cold . No temp here thankfully

Feel better soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Take care Goldengirl, demand some TLC from all in the house :-) Hopefully you’re over the worst of it now and will be out the other side in no time. All have it in my house too - going to ring GP for PCR if we can’t get in to book tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 redwhite97

Anyone on here that developed symptoms / positive antigen on Xmas eve or Xmas day? How are you feeling now that it’s 4 or 5 days in? I initially just had a blocked nose which has since long cleared but today feeling quite tired with aches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Knew you were waiting on results .

Thank you and @Bikerguy , am just being a wimp . Will give myself a good talking to and be back on track ....maybe tomorrow 😑

• Advertisement
Advertisement