Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Half of that article to be fair is a whole load of caveats and warnings that the increase in hospitalisation seen may be nothing to do with COVID itself though because of the definitions they use. With how transmissible Omicron is and the insane levels in the UK right now, it's not beyond the realms that a lot of this surge is incidental. Not exactly the concrete data to have sarcastic outbursts over and try one up ACE who rightly made a point about RSV.

Out of curiosity, have you always been up in arms re: the flu in kids & vaccines? I hate to make the comparison as it's very touchy to compare for some on here and they think it's some conspiracy junk, but in the last decade, 41 kids died in Ireland of the flu. At the moment in u18s, that rough yearly average of deaths outweighs COVID.

EDIT: Not that we are discussing it or anything but I am happy for kids to be vaccinated (absolute choice, no certs etc.). They're safe and if they offer any level of reduction in transmission then they will help our very problematic cohort (case wise) that is school kids**. Extremely rare these kids will get overly sick from COVID but as long as they keep racking up huge case numbers, we have some issues in terms of knock on effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

People won't bother clicking that, maybe you can tell us why you believe vaccines are not doing what they told you they would?

What were they supposed to do and who said that's what they would do?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

'South Africa has recalled rules that no longer required people without symptoms of COVID-19 to isolate or test if they have been in contact with a positive case, the government announced on Tuesday, saying an amended circular will be re-issued.

Now all those protocols will be recalled after the Department of Health was inundated with media, stakeholders and public enquiries and comments following the release of the revised regulations. '

As per Reuters:

Wonder if it has anything to do with CDC guidelines. Important to note as per article that cases in SA continue to decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭maebee

Well, people should bother to click on it. He is the most publicized epidemiologist ever. Vaccines are not doing what they told us they would. He is saying that treatment was a no no and it is all about promoting vaccines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I feel when people start with the, 'I'm not an anti-vaxxer' shtick, it never ends well.

I'll ask again, maybe you can answer. What were vaccines supposed to do and who said that's what they would do?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Steveimitation

I suppose people are simply angry because the vaccines haven't allowed us to resume our normal lives at this point.

It's understandable really as that's partly how they were sold to the public by the government. Of course I know that the vaccines are preventing a lot of sickness and tragedy but unfortunately we're not used to this kind of situation really. With most vaccines, you take them for you and you don't have to worry about other people. This is more complicated and pushes our patience to certain limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭maebee

The vaccines, which I took, were supposed to reduce/ eradicate Covid. The CMO and our government told us this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

The vaccine was always about preventing hospitalisation & deaths, while hopefully reducing transmission. No one ever claimed it would be 100% effective.

To say that they are not working is horse manure. They most certainly are preventing severe illnesss and deaths. Yes, the new variant in particular seems to be breaking through to cause infection, but with more positive cases in the last two weeks compared to all of the cases found up to xmas 2020 its impossible to argue that the vaccines aren't working when you examine the stats on hospitalisation and deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

To save anyone the bother...

Peter McCullough is a cardiologist, not an epidemiologist, and is also a world class liar, as even a cursory fact check will tell you.

Plus, from Wikipedia:

LifeSiteNews (or simply LifeSite) is a Canadian Catholic far-right anti-abortion advocacy website and news publication. LifeSiteNews has published misleading information and conspiracy theories, and in 2021, was banned from some social media platforms for spreading COVID-19 misinformation

Eradicate.... wow they most certainly did not say that. There's been very few viruses eradicated though vaccination.

On the reduce, can you be specific, they they say reduce symptoms, illness, deaths?

Well we did often hear that vaccines were our way out of this and they haven't been (yet anyway). People are bound to feel disappointed, frustrated and a whole other range of emotions.

How is he an epidemiologist ? The website you cite seems to have plucked that out of thin air, can't find it anywhere else. He's a cardiologist and one who doesn't seem to have been active in his field for several years.

Also if ever proof were needed he's a quack he ' advocated for early treatment including hydroxychloroquine'

That article is very particular as to when it gives citations, funny that. Good tactic to 'pull on the heart strings' though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The head of the CDC said that “Vaccinated people do not carry the virus — they don’t get sick,” and that it stops transmission.

Fauci said similar. The ceo of pfizer said their trial had shown it completely stopped transmission. And Joe biden himself literally said "You’re not going to get COVID if you have these vaccinations,". Stop with the rewriting of history. These vaccine absolutely were sold as stopping transmission, like most other vaccines that we're used to and not just in the US

Yes Maebee, COVID is disease caused by Sars-Cov 2, which is the virus in the question, there is significant amounts of data between highly vaccinated country populations e.g. Ireland compared to low- vaccinated populations e.g. Bulgaria that proves reduction in severe disease and fatal outcomes is beginning to happen.

It's ok the OP already said it was our own CMO and Government that said it.

That's what they are basing their conclusion on.

Your link you provided starts with: CDC Data Suggests

Even the UK data suggested that the vaccines reduced transmission, but that was months after they were approved and rolled out. It was actually a bonus at the time. They were never sold as preventing infection, their own trials showed efficacy was not 100%, hence them saying they stopped infection 100% would have been a lie because none of the vaccines approved were 100% efficient etc...

This time last year very few people were talking about others getting vaccinated. It was just about themselves and their own family members. There was a consensus that if a person got vaxxed then it wouldn't matter at all to said person, if an individual next to them in a shop or restaurant wasn't vaxxed. When it started to come to light that the vaccines didn't seem to be as effective in stopping transmission as it was hoped they would, this all changed and then things started to get nasty.

Initially though it was largely pushed that if you got vaccinated you were sorted (for a least a while). Things haven't worked out that way so of course people are pissed off. It's a fairly natural reaction. Maybe we were naive to think that one vaccine would be enough for us to return to normal but rightly or wrongly a lot of people did take it under those expectations (as well as to protect their direct family of course) and they are going to be feeling frustrated (to say the least).

• Registered Users Posts: 86,681 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I know a lot more people since October who have got it, some again, some vaxxed even double vaxxed but very sick, even boostered healthy mates have caught it and got very sick

I don’t know what the solution or end game is, we all need to take personal responsibility to stay safe, protect ourselves and others

This is quite ironic, considering SA discovered new variant and .. that it's a new variant?

• Advertisement

Prevention on transmission efficiency was based on data pre-delta? I refer to your obsolete comparisons comment.

As bad as things are, the vaccines have prevented what are potentially enormous burdens on the health system (extremely expensive) and more damaging impacts on the economy (also very expensive) as well as reducing impacts on society and reduced our death rates to a level that they're one of the lowest in the EU.

So, if your chasing the "it's all about the money" line. They have and continue to save us a lot of cash.

There isn't a perfect solution to this nor can we magic our way out of it. It's frustrating, it's messy and we are flying by the seat of our pants, but that's just the reality of life.

There's nothing new about crises or pandemics. Our ancestors all faced them. We just happened to live in a relatively golden age, especially from the 1950s/60s to 2020. None of us (or at least very few of us) really remember pandemics, or the childhood and other diseases that used to decimate entire families. I mean go ask someone who remembers life before TB was eradicated, or when measles left people deaf or polio paralysed people and everyone knew kid various braces on their legs.

All that's changed is we've a bunch of whining asshats (mostly online), who expect always on, instant gratification, instant fix and if they don't get that they throw their toys out of the pram, call the manager and rant online. Or, they've short attention spans and are "done with COVID" so want to click next episode. The problem being it's not TV nor is it politics. It's a virus.

This situation has been, and will continue for a while to be, a bit problematic, irritating, frustrating, depressing and annoying. However, short of having access to a time machine, there's nothing that can be done that isn't being done to get out of it.

It's not an episode of Star Trek and there isn't going to be some perfect, 100% effective treatment developed by Dr Crusher and just dispersed through the ventilation system, just in time to conclude the storyline. It's going to take time and the end of the pandemic is more likely to be slow fizzle out as technology and our immune systems get to grips with it.

So have a strop and throw your vaccine out the window of you're offered a 4th booster at some stage. I'm sure there's a receptive audience on some Telegram group...

Without being smart, when you say very sick, how sick do you mean? Hospitalized?

At the time there was a high level of confidence that it reduced transmission, and then along came Delta, and the situation changed. I also highly doubt the director of the CDC ever making such dramatic qualifiers such as 'vaccinated people do not carry the virus', unless you can find a decent primary source i.e. a published research article where they might have based this idea off? Media have been very loose on quoting scientists throughout this and MSN are not a reliable news source.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The vaccines have been decent at reducing hospital admissions and quite good at getting the deaths with covid numbers down. They have been fairly poor on reducing transmission, and I predict with Omicron they will be junk bond status.

Now, there are two angles one can read into the above:

1) The vaccines were being rolled out as Delta cranked up. The usual trajectory of viruses is that they become more transmissible but less lethal

or

2) The vaccines were so well developed that they outpaced the virus to reduce illness and deaths.

The truth probably lies in the middle. Pro-Vax will go with 2, whereas Anti-Vax will go with 1.

I never believed that mass-vaccination would get us out of this pandemic, however I sincerely believed and still do that vaccinations are key to protecting our most vulnerable and elderly folks from being taken from us before their natural time.

The current approach with vaccines is akin to cracking a nut with a sledgehammer. Frustrated governments are now toying with the idea of mandatory vaccinations. This is wrong, vaccines were developed to help the weakest, not a fit 20yo Damo whose only interest in getting the vaccine is being allowed into Coppers to lob the gob on 15 mots next Saturday night.

Omicron throws us a rope to get out of this inferno, we should take it. Allow omicron to spread like wildfire. Yes, our hospitals will take a rattle, but it will be short and sharp. The dust will settle quickly and we can return hospitals to what they should be doing - caring for the weak.

There are lessons for us all going forward. We should knuckle down and have an open and honest debate about the future of healthcare. We will soon arrive at a crossroads - do we privatise healthcare in Ireland, or do we keep the current charade going? €20bln + for what we have is like paying €8.90 for a scuttery pint of Guinness in Temple Bar, and being charged extra for using your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yes so maybe she shouldn't have unequivocally stated that "Vaccinated people don't carry the virus, they dont get sick"? And maybe Joe Biden shouldn't have been telling the entire world that you aren't going to get covid if you get vaccinated?

My point was ,we were told that they do stop transmission and those quotes prove it. to claim that no one ever said this and that it was always just about preventing severe illness is blatantly false.

Yes on data based on variants of that time, now irrelevant.. also I never said you were a anti-vaxer, not everything is black and white

When I quoted SA I was drawing attention to fact that they're reversing on earlier decision to stop contact tracing and other things mentioned, I thought it relevant to mention.

I asked the OP why they believed the statement, they said because the CMO and government said it.

Bring up another government and their statements is not what the OP based their belief on.

Let the OP answer the question I asked.

• Advertisement

Most of the loudest voices had the majority of us under the impression that the vaccines would bring about the endgame when they arrived.

I mean, remember Tubridy on the Late Late Show saying "the vaccines are coming. I promise you".

Advertisement