Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Steveimitation

A problem is that even when the media do ask what they perceive to be difficult questions, they usually let the interviewee off with a no answer spin piece of jargon. No asking the relevant question again and again until its actually addressed. Far too often there is an almost apologetic tone in even asking such questions too and that is not proper journalism. Very little proper journalism left out there

Also, there may be more diverse opinions out in the public sphere recently but for quite a long time there were very few.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the republic is far from a failed state.

ireland under british rule again is never going to happen, hardly anyone wants it thankfully.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Again this is nonsense. I've watched every NPHET briefing and every government briefing and all that happens if you ask the same question is you get the same answer. What does it achieve to have 5 or 6 different people asking it and still being left with nothing? If someone refuses to answer a question then asking it in a harsher tone will make absolutely zero difference.

Vincent Browne, for all of his hard-arse line of questioning, got very few answers as well but yet he's held in a much higher regard than everyone else because he seemed to be a bit meaner.

'Very little proper journalism left out there' - some of the hysteria around here is ridiculous. It's not the journalists fault if the officials refuse to answer the questions. It's more finger-pointing at the wrong people when the government gets off scot-free once again.

And you all fall for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭TracyMartell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

I read plenty of papers. The vast vast majority of opinions on most issues are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That is correct, but that also means that western governments will do whatever is in their power to ensure people can be treated appropriately, whether that is lockdowns or restrictions, to keep the health service functioning. Posters shouting about reducing restrictions when hospitalisations due to COVID are still placing undue pressure on the system (and then hospitalisation of unvaccinated taking up a disproportionate amount of those cases) also becomes a pointless discussion to have, by that logic, yet we get the same posters day after day calling to let it rip or let people die (or claiming that there was no excess deaths or that lockdowns and restrictions don't reduce cases/hospitalisations/deaths). Vaccines have changed the maths, better treatments will change it further, Omicron may change it further still and allow all restrictions to be dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭techdiver

The big difference is Vincent Browne made the interviewee squirm to the point that it was obvious they were dodging the question or bluffing. What we have is a "move on" approach that is not even pointed out in reports afterwards.

The mainstream media don't employ journalists anymore. You could call them "reporters". They report what they are either told by official channels or through their leak sources. It's all about the rush to get the tweet out first to get the most coverage.

I don't think it's nonsense at all. If they won't answer the question then a journalist can easily say "so and so seems to be refusing to answer the question". They rarely do that. And asking the question several times may not achieve a different answer but it can show an interviewee up for what they are when they are spoofing. You may not see the point but I dare say a lot of others would appreciate it. Vincent Browne at least gave the impression that he was trying to wade through the bullshit. That wasn't the case with a lot of current journalists until very recently. Again, they seemed apologetic, like "sorry I hate to ask this but...."

And yes there isn't much proper journalism around. Journalism involves more than simply transcribing and regurgitating. It involves critical thinking - "Am i getting all the facts here?" "is this this the full picture?". in Ireland we know that typically it isn't the full picture but nowadays there is too often a lack of appetite to probe deeper. It might affect a journalist's contacts. It might alienate them a bit and to a degree it's understandable but it isn't top quality journalism. You'll probably dismiss this as garbage. Fine. You are entitled to your opinion. I just want a bit more from people in these jobs. Anyone can simply repeat what they are told.

And I'm finger pointing at the journalists, not the interviewees. Whether they are speaking to government or health officials, the same softly softly approach is far too often used when questioning.

• Advertisement

I couldn't agree more with this. There have even been several times when Micheal Martin has said to "move on" or got prickly about something and said "Come on now". And it's infuriating because often they have taken their little reprimand and left it there. How about having a bit of balls and saying "What do you mean come on like?". You can be respectful and challenging without acting like you are beneath someone like Mícheal Martin, taoiseach or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Media outlets in financial difficulty suddenly start receiving vast sums of money from the state as Covid kicks in.

Journalists bootlick the government and NPHET and fail to do their job of holding elected representatives and non-elected bureaucrats to account.

He who pays the piper......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not forgetting of course that many of these journalists aspire to promotion to the staff of said politicians as well.

That's a huge thing as well. Way too much of a love fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

This is a huge issue. Journalists should have an antagonistic relationship to powerful institutions, especially the political. This is simply not the case at all here, and I would characterise most political correspondents relationship to politicians as friendly for the most part, with the film of the odd 'hard question' or very mild 'gotcha' thrown into interviews to offer the illusion of opposition, but it is pure pantomime. A small example of this would be on twitter, where you see politicians and journalists wishing each other well on their future endeavours etc. They are more like colleagues than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I see Leo has spoken after his few days of R&R, seems very optimistic, albeit the last time he was optimistic, it didn't go well 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I don't know if this is the reason for our high covid cases, but otherwise I believe this to be true.....working at home for the entirety of the pandemic, bar 8 weeks from Sept 21 to about Nov 21 (and I only went in one day some of those weeks), - I am picking up everything my kids bring home from school.It is driving me crazy, I have looked for the doctor a lot the last few months for myself.I am not someone who gets sick a lot but this is ridiculous.Same for the kids, and I blame it on overuse of extended lockdowns, tbh.Fed up with the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

You wouldn’t give a child a treat if they were bold. They need to learn right from wrong, same goes here.

The unvaccinated can’t be having it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Allinall

That’s rather selfish.

Why not get vaccinated and reduce your chances of hacking up a lung?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Selfish my hole... My body, my choice and all that. If I've paid for a very bloated and expensive service with my taxes, then by god I'm going to avail of it.

Toe the line and be a good boy, take the drugs, they'll cure all that ails ya. It's for the greater good, don't ya know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYTeTK57sCQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The majority of the world is selfish.

Why don't drug addicts stop taking drugs

Why don't people with alcohol addiction stop drinking

Why don't smokers stop smoking

Why don't obese people eat healthy and exercise

Taking the vaccine is a choice like other people who can clog up hospitals have a choice.

If we refused anyone to hospital who gives them a higher chance of ending up in hospital then we would have very people in hospitals.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

On the obese side, the government or nphet haven’t once encouraged healthy eating, exercise and weigh loss to help mitigate against c19 as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

We’ve got one of the finest minds of his generation here guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

I can’t see data for over 12s vaccinated in your link. If you could just give the figure? I think there are 60% of 10 to 19 year olds vaccinated, but total % for over 12s?

I think your second paragraph is meant for someone else as I never said immunocompromised can’t be vaccinated. But a small portion of immunocompromised and otherwise very sick people will not have been advised take a vaccination- these people are more likely to end up in ICU.

Vaccines and boosters prevent serious illness and death in the groups most at risk. There are undoubtedly fewer of those becoming seriously ill and dying. But the strain on hospitals attributed to the unvaccinated is overblown and dangerously divisive. We also have 55 more ICU beds operating this year which will give an indication as to the absolute shambles of blaming the unvaccinated in a population with 95% adults vaccinated, and a now milder disease circulating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭brickster69

Just read about restrictions coming in to France on Monday. Fair enough they are getting battered at the moment and tightening up a bit makes sense given the high hospitalisations and ICU numbers but come on, some of them make no sense at all

No eating or drinking allowed on public transport or in cinemas etc. What the actual **** is that going to do ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Claire Byrne the hero for getting stuck in to Farage.

Imagine her holding an Irish politician to account like that?

Of course not.....

Easy to stick it to an unpopular foreign politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Our politicians employing journalists as advisors means none of them want to go too hard incase they want to go that route in future.

Ah, seen it was already mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I assume it prevents people keeping their mask off while they sip a drink for an hour.

Close a loophole people possibly use to not have to wear a mask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The only thing they done towards peoples weight is add a 9 euro meal deal requirement to force people who wanted a drink to eat burgers and pizzas.

They closed gyms and encouraged people to eat fast food when going for a drink if anything they encouraged people to gain weight.

Advertisement