Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,540 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Ferrari will have Santander back on their car, no more "Mission Winnow"...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Oddly enough Mercedes don’t seem to use the F1 angle to sell cars at all. Aston Martin have released an F1 special edition of the Vantage and they’re not even a constructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,881 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

As against an energy drink beating a car company?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 20,225 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Energy drinks aren't in competition with car companies like Mercedes. It's apples and oranges. Dacia beating ferrari is an apples to apples comparison and would be far more embarrassing to the big car manufacturers than being beaten by red bull. Red Bull is a global sports brand but people still disparage it in F1 for being an energy drink company.

Is anyone honestly suggesting that F1 wants a budget car brand to be its champion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Skodas annual revenue is about 4 or 5 times that of Ferrari. Most other teams in Formula 1 do not have a long history in luxury car making.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Yeah because the S Class Merc, the Aston Martin Vantage, McLaren/BMW are real bargain bucket cars /s

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I think this is what's wrong with F1. If someone like Dacia can build a championship winning car, then they 100% deserve it. If Ferrari, for example, get annoyed by another manufacturer being better than them, it shows exactly what's wrong with Ferrari.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Dacia is in F1, They are owned by Renault, Oh I mean the Alpine team....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes Dacia is owned by Renault but just because they are owned by Renault does mean they are in F1 the same as if Audi do join does not necessarily mean that Seat or Skoda or VW are in F1. Yes they could advertise on the Audi F1 car alright just like Lada did on the 2010 Renault F1 car but that does not mean they are in F1.

I think it would be more of a image and ego blow to VW/Audi if Skoda was in F1 and won or to Renault if Dacia was in F1 and won than it would be to Ferrari or Mclaren.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Aston Martin is a branding exercise. There is no Aston Martin DNA in the F1 team. This team was originally Jordan.

Williams have always been a racing team. Now owned by an investement fund.

Red Bull were originally Stewart.

Alpha Tauri were originally Minardi.

Alfa Romeo is a branding exercise. Team is still Sauber in the company name and owned by an investment fund.

Haas are an CNC machine tool builder.

McLaren only started building road cars in the 1980s. They were a racing team long before that.

Mercedes only own 33% of Mercedes F1 team now. They were an engine manufacturer through Ilmor for a long time in the 90s and 00s. Team originally goes back to Tyrell, BAR, Honda and Brawn.

Ferrari and Renault have long history in F1 and road cars.

Less than half the grid are actually owned by, or have a direct history of making road cars that you can go out and buy today. Renault would probably be the most affordable car manufacturer to win a championship.

Well the Alpine team, based out of Enstone at the moment, has a history of carrying the Renault, Lotus and Benneton names

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Of all the things to be annoyed at F1 about, presumed arrogance from them that a non existent hypothetical team may win is pretty dumb

What do Dacia and Red Bulls winning cars from 2010-2014 have in common?

Both powered by Renault engines :P

I don't think it's anything to do with turnover. F1 sees itself as a fancypants sport. There's a reason that VW will use one of its mid-upper price point brands in F1 and won't use Skoda, if it joins, which is hasn't done yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

There's no chance of Skoda in F1. Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Cupra are all owned by VW and would be ahead in the pecking order.

Aren't Skoda still in the WRC?

It'll be Porsche or Audi, no chance they would use a sister brand for such a big move.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,557 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

So Toto now believes team principals should not be allowed contact the race director over the race radio. Hypocrite

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Toto has not done himself any favours with all of this. I know he owns a third or so of the team but his stock is low at the minute.

It's beyond argument that his Mercedes team have been the ringleaders in pushing for rule changes and generally trying to steer the agenda.

To come now saying that he doesn't like what we have is a disgrace.

I'd say Ross Brawn is still waiting in the long grass for Toto too so he could be on the way out sooner than he would like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Is there beef between Toto and Brawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Roast beef, shoulder of beef, minced beef, beef cheek with beef gravy smothered on top 😝

Horner comes across like a bit of a wee arsehole. Toto comes across like someone who takes personal and lasting offence at someone not giving him exactly what he wants as soon as he asks for it.

Ah, they both come across as men who are charged with the job of fighting tooth and nail for their team. Total war. Media war, design war, trip up your enemy at every opportunity, use your enemy's strength to their disadvantage, fight every lost cause as if it was a terrible injustice against you and your life depended on it.

In other words, it's the soap opera. Amazing to see how many people say they don't like Drive to Survive making F1 into WWE, but then totally voluntarily lean into the Goodies vs Heels soap opera story lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well Brawn sold his team to Mercedes for 2010 season. He was there as team boss and really with Mercedes investment had everything in place to deliver the results we see today. Going back in history, Brawn has delivered championships within 4 years or so wherever he has been.

Toto always intended to push him out and with the 2014 cars ready to go out and win, Toto and paddy took over.

I thought it was a disgrace at the time. He didn't see Brawn making a return to control the sport.

Just swinging by to wish you all a Merry Christmas, what a year for us motorsport fans.

Have a great day everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I believe that. He's chronically overrated by fans. This was only the drivers' ratings, so what would they know?

Surprised by Schumacher's inclusion. The drivers must see performance that we don't see. TV cameras aren't that interested in detailed storytelling that far back on the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

There’s a video on YouTube (the channel I think is THERACE) that goes trough all the small wins MSC had during the course of the season, worth a watch, about 7 mins long or so. If you can’t find it I’ll post a link later with it, it’ll be in my history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Why? He got obliterated by someone driving the same car as him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement