Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Matrix Resurrections (with Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Lana Wachowski)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

You seem to think they are real because the analyst said he brought them back. That doesn't mean they are real , it just means they were brought back artificially. An artificial Resurrection of a person means that person is a clone. He isn't real..I know people don't want to accept that their Neo and Trinity aren't real but thats the reality of the situation. Blame the film for having a beyond stupid plot line if you don't like it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did anyone see the after credits scene? Talk about spitting in the fans faces.

Amazing to see people defending this sh1t tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

And you seem to be ignoring everything that was shown in the film.

Answer the question, why would they clone Neo, give him all of his original injuries and open him up, then repair everything if it’s a clone!

That makes as much sense as your post saying Trinity is buried in Zion as that’s where she died! Which is completely wrong too! 🤦‍♂️

Post edited by HalfAndHalf on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Still wrong buddy, they literally showed the machines repairing Neo's burnt out eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,785 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

So the modal thing, that was a simulation running on Neos PC in his office ?

A simulation within a simulation and Morpheus was a program in that and somehow Bugs was able to enter the Modal.

How would someone even detect such a thing ?

The film confusingly appears to present it as if Neo was both consciously creating a new Morpheus AI on his work computer for reasons…but also kind of sort of accidentally doing it subconsciously using original Matrix code.

Another thing why couldn’t anyone in the real world find Neo? His name is still Thomas Anderson and he wrote a game called The Matrix.

Wouldn’t that seem rather suspicious? It was kind if glossed over with the DSI but the fact his appearance was different shouldn't have thrown anyone off the trail. It also doesn't make sense that the machines didn't give him a new name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The new film is getting positive reviews, it seems to be more about the matrix being related to gaming and social media the age of disinformation fake news etc it has made 420 million that's a good box office in the midst of a pandemic The animatrix is great its about various characters in the world of the matrix it looks incredible. It seems every film that was a hit in the 90s is getting a remake or a sequel. Every Sci fí action movie has copied the matrix I'm glad to say Carrie ann moss and keanu Reeves look as good as they did in the first film I think the script is much better in this one than matrix reloaded, going by the review I read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

It has a 5.8 star rating on imdb which is usually what I go on and find to be pretty accurate, it's the average score most action movies usually get, basically signals to me a story with no substance.

The first matrix is one of my favourite movies, I heard this one has been turned into some pathetic love story definitely not my kinda thing and neither are action movies so I'm not too pushed on watching this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's not what clones are though, no matter what you insist. A clone, by definition within sci-fi convention, is another physical version of a person. Photocopies, as opposed to restoring the original page of paper; it's all fiction but doesn't mean there aren't accepted "rules". The original person somewhere else: Star Trek's "transporter clone" being the classic example, with 2 versions walking around living the same life. Or, I dunno, Arnie's The 6th Day, Multiplicity, Gemini Man, Logan, to TV shows, like Orphan Black or Living with Yourself to name a few. All clones, and questions of identity, who is the original etc.

I don't have any emotional connection with Neo or Trinity either, only that you keep calling them clones when they're not;. this is just nerd pedantry, not fanboy denial hehe 🙂 The original bodies were kept, slowly resurrected over years, their memories intact. That ain't cloning. It's a stretch of science, but if the corpses were jumpstarted, ignoring what happens a brain when it dies, the original character comes back. Closest recent equivalent would be Agent Coulson in Agents of SHIELD: a dead character restored to life using science pokers on his brain (even the body horror was the same)

Post edited by pixelburp on

I'm also wondering what positive reviews he is referring to, any review I've seen is calling it the biggest disappointment of 2021, I think he's on about a completely different movie to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Quandary

Watched this last night.

it felt so cheap and mushed together. I liked little bits of what they did with the machines but aside from that it was really terrible.

I honestly thought it was laughably bad.

You mean everyone likes and dislikes the same things you do?

No but you said that the film is getting positive reviews, which it is not. You also said it has made 420m on the box office, which it has not, it made 70m.

I was just wondering if we are talking about the same movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Not sure we're at spoilers yet so I will just say it was one the worst movies I saw in a while. Towards the end I felt I was going to fall asleep. Usually then I sit up have a sip of something. During this I decided I didnt care and just fell asleep. Didnt bother re-watching the end either. Brutal.

All along the best thing to do with the Matrix was to pretend there was no sequels. That certainly hasn't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

In fairness, it has had relatively positive reviews. I've been absolutely stunned at some of the reviews I've read. It's clearly a one or two star movie for me. The Observer gave it four stars!

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-matrix-resurrections - 64%

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-matrix - 74% (original Matrix)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s gotten good reviews, it’s gotten bad reviews, it’s gotten indifferent reviews - it’s a divisive film that means different things to different people, so no surprise at all.

Personally it’s an easy four-star film (and closer to five than three) for me, and have been nodding along in agreement with some of the excellent bits of positive writing I’ve read about it. Equally I’m sure there’s some excellent, more negative criticism about it out there. It’s the kind of film I find fascinating to read about from a bunch of perspectives.

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/22847211/the-matrix-resurrections-review

https://www.vulture.com/2021/12/the-matrix-resurrections-movie-review-matrix-4.html

Nope. I didn’t say any of that!

But you did say:

I'm also wondering what positive reviews he is referring to, any review I've seen is calling it the biggest disappointment of 2021, I think he's on about a completely different movie to be honest.

So because the OP likes it and you don’t then he’s wrong, they haven’t even seen the same film?

So my question still stands, everyone should like and dislike the same things you do right?

EDIT: looks like Harry just abandons a thread when he’s caught accusing someone of something they didn’t say and can’t answer. Great posting! 🤦‍♂️

Post edited by HalfAndHalf on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As is often the case for me recently, I'm liking letterboxd cos you can see (though maybe the aggregators do this to?) the breakdown of ratings from its userbase, itself populated with fewer extreme opinions, hype or rage. Normally, you'll see a distinct enough ski-slope in one direction whereas you can clearly see this is a movie with a LOT of opinions; floating somewhere in the middle: an average film, not exactly cinematic cancer.

Also, cinema. You gonna get opinions, which is half the fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Really enjoyed this one.

Not getting all the negative reviews at all, a good popcorn flick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Haven't seen the Matrix sequels since they came out in the cinema, because they're fúcking terrible. As is this.

• Advertisement

The second one, I enjoyed, its underrated, but the third, that was terrible.

I'm glad that the non matrix stuff was kept to a minimum in the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Don't know why people are saying neo and trinity are clones. The "analyst" (Neil Patrick harris) says it took them years to repair their bodies. Then you see the machines repair them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think it's mixed some good reviews, some not so good,

sorry my mistake, I looked at the wrong link, re box office. It's also avaidable on streaming services, hbo, hulu, peacock maybe alot of older people are choosing to stay safe and watch it at home i just read that the script is alot better than the last matrix movie. I think it's nice there's a new matrix movie as the technology for cgi special effects is much better than 20 years ago . The unreal engine demo from last year looks better than most films in terms of 3d lighting with characters that look like real people. I think it's the type of film that looks better in the cinema

Gen z probably don't know how important the first matrix film was and influential it was in terms of influencing how most action films are made

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I can see where the positive reviews are coming from and this is what any decent film is meant to do, cause debate and divisiveness over what it meant.

I fall in the middle in my response, I did like some aspects of the meta approach with the constant editing between original film and this film. It worked well, with acting on point from newbies such as Groff and Harris.

But is it particularly enthralling? No in my opinion. I'd call it a 3/5 no problem, but should it have done more is the question.

Well, exactly. I think blockbusters are swimming in mediocre waters these days, and better a film provoke debate for trying something, than be passable to the point of being forgettable. I'm more interested in brave swings than rote productions. At least Matrix Resurrections is worth debating, with potential reward for repeat viewings.

The biggest surprise on the negative side for me though, has been just how bland it looked compared with the original film. Little adventurousness in shots or compositions; I guess Lily had the eye for flair in the family?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

If only you had the same fairness on DC films. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yeah I felt the same. Watched on release day and at the start I was kinda happy to go with it. I thought the WB joke (which is what everyone was clamouring about meta) fell flat and was actually a disgrace.

Disjointed mess. Actions scenes were dreadful (other sister directed them before?) Neo looked so weak and rubbish with no plot explanation, the finale was utter dross and then the reveal about Trinity just pissed on the entire franchise imo.

Absolute carcrash of a film. Liked the new characters and actors but it was a total joke of a film and I'd imagine will cool Lana Wachowskis career for a while. So bad. Seemingly WB were going to make one without her, and maybe they would have been better off. As a fan of the series I thought it was a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

I have this cack on at the moment. It's woeful.

The only good thing is CAM seems to have gotten younger since JessJones

Haha, touché, though a bad blockbuster is forever thus 😉

The Suicide Squad was absolutely fantastic though and did reinvigorate my flailing DC patience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My full-blooded defence of how this film looks would take several hundred words I don't have time to write and a rewatch I won't get around to for a while 😁 I also don't think anyone who thinks it looks a bit cheap or TV-like is actually wrong - it certainly is stripped down and raw in a way that left me pretty disarmed. A few stray thoughts though, as I think it's actually one of the more interesting elements of the film.

There's a very conscious decision here to make a film that looks the opposite to the original films - aggressively so. Gone is the blue/green tinge, in with warm - almost harshly warm - colours, fitting the different attitude of the film on the whole. It seems to be a visual decision that's pretty radical and very motivated by theme and tone. I think the scenes like the original being projected onto a scene are as much to remind us how that film looked as reminding us of the plot details themselves. There's a very valid argument they've overcorrected in the process of dismantling the original look, but definitely seems like it was a conscious decision to do so.

I also think Lana is deeply uninterested in action here, maybe just as a solo director but also because the characters are in such a fundamentally different place / world. This is a post-war film, the characters fighting reluctantly and with very different motivations. Neo in particular is completely disinterested in fighting as anything more than a necessity to save those he loves - his fighting style is now entirely defensive rather than aggressive. Guns are nearly absent, and bullet time itself is actively weaponised against our hero characters. The messier, less 'cool' fight scenes I think fit into that approach as well - although I certainly think there's a fine line between that and the fights just being less interestingly choreographed/shot (I'd put forward a little of column a, a little of column b). But overall you can clearly see Lana much more interested in imagery like Neo and Trinity leaping off the building - a more romantic, passionate image - than the action scenes.

(I do love the final chase sequence though, especially the eerie image of falling bodies being used as impromptu bombs).

There's an interesting thread here on it - I think 'anti-aesthetic' is definitely one way of describing some of what's going on here visually.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

Advertisement