Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Exactly,

People saying well this fella didn’t explicitly say this or that fella didn’t explicitly say that like you said they did is just splitting hairs to try and score points in an Internet argument as if that makes it not true in the long run. It’s as plain as day the vaccines haven’t been as effective as they were sold to be, still doesn’t mean they haven’t been effective though and very effective.

The frustration comes from practically every other country using vaccines and every other available means to actually live with this whilst we have experts who restrict us as their primary means of dealing with it, last summer being a case in point, the rest of Europe getting on with living when they could whilst we have experts calling antigen testing snake oil and telling us to keep restrictions in place because “the greatest hurricane the country has ever seen” was coming at the end of June!

The way we have handled this in this country has basically been like an anti vaxxers wet dream, we are like the ant vaxxer poster boys of Europe, huge vaccinations, still restricted and the most restricted country in Europe for nigh on 2 years and record high infections. It takes something special to handle it that badly but hey ho, follow the science.

It isn’t the fault of the vaccines that even for a few months we didn’t have life return somewhat back to normal that honour lies with our “experts” but they now bear the brunt of the argument for what’s the point unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Great post.

You’re jabbed though I presume? It’s just the civil liberty question you have concerns about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

568 in hospital this morning up from 521 yesterday. How many have covid as primary cause is another question though. ICU stable so far but you’d expect that to lag the hospital rise anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As some observed yesterday we are in a funny period for hospital numbers with Christmas in the background and we probably need another few days to see how things are.

Likely not to see any changes on those for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,833 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Not until the next booster that has 5G chips in it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I see them saying this morning that we have more flu cases this year too.

I know of a child brought to Temple st A&E with a horrible cough - no doctor would see her without a PCR, no PCRs available.Cough got worse, next stop A&E, steroids and lung Xray.Had it with my own child only a few weeks ago - respiratory issues, too long of a wait for a doctor to call us, he started to struggle with breathing - into A&E.

I wonder how many people are going to be admitted in the coming weeks due to a struggle accessing health care, and conditions worsening.

There do seem to be a lot of comments about the difficulty in getting access to GPs, especially with a need for a PCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭bloopy

If omicron is as transmissible as it seems to be, then surely it is inevitable that detected cases in hospital will rise.

The hse will eventually have to change the reporting to demonstrate what cases are incidental in the hospitalisations numbers.

Otherwise most of the patients in hospital will be down as covid hospitalisations

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

My GP saw my kid last week in PPE after a negative antigen test. I’m grateful to have a super gp practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

If the fascination with hospital beds and the whole for Covid/with Covid (or whatever it is) relates to a concern over increased restrictions, surely once hospital beds are taken up and capacity is gone it is fairly irrelevant why the person is in the bed.

Practical rather than academic arguments will prevail in the end when it comes to potential restrictions informed by hospital capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

Christmas day was three days ago. I find it hard to imagine anyone who was well enough to go home was kept in for Christmas, or that anyone who was unwell enough not to be was let out quickly after. But after three days I'd say numbers are likely to be genuine.

Obviously if it doesn't suit certain narratives it'll always be "we need to wait to see" (bit like high numbers always attributed to some backlog or other) but I'd say hospitals are clearing people out as soon as they can with the inevitable deluge in January and their staff shortages.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I had major surgery this year during a break in restrictions , there is a struggle to keep operating theatres Covid free as there is a high risk of death for the patient, the more Covid admissions the less operations can take place, we’re much better off not having people in hospital for something avoidable like unvaccinated Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

If people thought they were a magic bullet that’s on them.

the vaccines have helped prevent serious illness in the most part. That’s a way out from where we were

the vaccines were never going to be the end of this, just a big step towards it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Christmas was 3 days ago but today is the first day the health service has functioned on staffing levels that aren't bank holiday levels.

I posted yesterday, my father won't be allowed out until today at the earliest as its the first day senior doctors are on the ward to review paitents.

My aunt is involved in discharges in a large Dublin hospital and today is the first day they have a team of 3 working on discharges instead of just 1 person over the Christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The "fascination with hospital beds" is purely a consequence of restrictions being retained on the basis of preserving capacity for non-COVID treatment.

Otherwise nobody would give much of a ****, any more than they do every other winter when our seasonal "trolley crisis" emerges.

Since there is no ideal metric for "spare capacity" (if it even exists) due to demand management, the best proxy we have for the burden of COVID on the hospitals is non-incidental COVID cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 rp79

You obviously have no experience of the Irish healthcare system. The majority of those in a position to sign people out will not having been workinn over the last few days. Upon their return we will get a true picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

How does Temple St not have in house / on site testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The party held for Department of Foreign Affairs is a slap in the face for all the healthcare workers.

No doubt, there will be calls for resignations today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading about the vacccines. I did hope they'd be a way out of the pandemic. Not because I expected they were 100% effective and 100% of people would take them. I hoped it because at 95% efficacy, which was the maximum claim I saw, they'd reduce transmission significantly and kill the spread. But there were questions. If they were 95% effective best case scenario, that meant they were 5% ineffective which is a decent percentage. And poorer countries were never going to be fully vaccinated which seemed the elephant in the room.

But even putting those concerns aside, from the very start, there was always the very big caveat of how effective they would be against variants. That question was always there even from experts and every time a new variant came it was "sh!t, how effective are the vaccines against it". Anyone who thought vaccines were a guaranteed way out either wasn't paying attention or had their head in the sand.

As it happens, they've been a vital tool in keeping serious illness down. If that's all they've done, that's a hell of an achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

There is a significant difference if 100 people are in hospital testing positive for covid with different reasons:

A) 100 in hospital due to covid and being treated for it.

B) 100 admitted with asymptomatic covid and treated for something else.

C) 100 contracting covid in hospital.

Under A there's alot more covid in the community and people are getting serious I'll from it. Under B there's less serious people in the community with covid and with C there's less community spread but infection prevention controls are not working in hospital.

It's the same number of beds being used, but indicate 3 different levels of spread in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

If you have a sniffle out their even though its the season dont tell anyone they will treat you like you have the plague life is about get very tough, everyone has covid

Even if fully vaccinated seems vaccines are rubbish

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Honestly because I don't think they need it.Maybe they do if they suspect you have covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

No offence intended but don't rewrite history and join in with the gaslighting of your fellow citizens.

We were promised vaccines were "the way out of this" basically every day for months while the program was being rolled out.

That lie was very effective. I don't know any of my peers who genuinely got vaxxed for their own health (myself included.)

We did it to "get back to normality" and to "do our part" - which was another total lie.

Our experts are playing this whole thing by ear and have been all along.

Looks like there not even giving out full jabs of the booster now.had a cousin go get her booster yesterday in a mass vaccination centre in my midlands and was told by the rather pissed off hse worker that she was only getting a half shot.asked to explain she got rather rude.this is a joke at this stage.

I got my booster last week from my go at a drive tru job and wasn’t even told what I was getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭jams100

I'm not trying to be smart but in that case we would have locked down in 2019, 2018, 2017 etc. (We had 700+ people on a trolley at one point in 2019 if my memory serves me correct).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

The wife of a friend of mine got covid at a wedding before xmas, had symptoms on 15th. Apparently, the wedding party were riddled with it.

She spread it to her family. They were all close contacts and were certain they had it too, all showing symptoms. Refused to isolate until eventually recently getting a PCR appt and results. Some were just like a cold but 1 is now in hospital.

So effectively spreading covid around everywhere over xmas because "they officially hadn't got covid"...asshats.

Hopefully we all get a mild dose with no future complications, and it goes the fcuk away.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Moderna is a half jab as a booster. That's what it was approved as. I'm not sure why you think it's a joke at this stage.

The 4-11 year old jab is 1/3 jab of Pfizer.

Just before you think the vaccinator was making stuff up and jabbing random doses into people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,682 ✭✭✭brickster69

BJ this morning has said that 90% of people going into hospital with covid have not received a booster yet.

Also people going into hospital as genuine covid cases are 20% with the rest incidental, down from 60% since the end of November. Behind a paywall but you get the drift.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Advertisement