Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Imagine in a time when newspaper sales are at their lowest ever due to people getting their news online that a newspaper would ask people to support them...it's hardly grifting. Most newspapers have some form of paywall or subscription only content. Do you think that's grifting? Maybe the newsagents are grifters for selling newspapers too?

Maybe you could answer a question that you are asked for once and stop deflecting when you haven't got the answer because it hasn't come up yet on Twitter or from whoever does your thinking for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

This has been explained to you multiple times. 9/11 measures are in place because that type of terrorism hasn't "gone away". It ushered in a change of tactics by terrorists. Likewise with car/trucks ramming pedestrians, the Nice attack in France ushered that in, and since then measures have been in place to reduce the threat of it (e.g. bollards)

We have measures against a virus because there's a global pandemic. Children can understand this, but several adults on this forum still can't.

No matter how many times this is explained to you, you refuse to understand it. This is because you have the irrational belief that measures against the virus are "secretly" totalitarian measures from your 1984 style fantasies. The belief that politicians wake up with some sort of drive to "control" people, and these measures have given them a "taste" for that (yes it's that idiotic), so they'll come up with any excuse to try and keep the measures. And everything goes through that filter.

It's a paranoid irrational belief.

People with these types of irrational beliefs didn't reason themselves into those positions, so they won't be reasoned out of it.

What's wrong with the Guardian? It's supported by a trust and it's readers. It's about as free from conflict of interest as it possible for a media outlet. What is wrong with that?

Remember, this is coming from you, someone who repeatedly parrots conspiracy grifters online. People who literally make money selling lies to gullible individuals. The very first thing these snake-oil merchants do is get their believers to ignore news and science. Why? Because they want to replace fact with fiction. Likewise, the first thing a flat-earther will do is get you to disbelieve news and science. Pick any loony belief, same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

You sound like a loony yourself....take a break pal 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Compared to the folks claiming that the vaccine and covid measures are a plot for communists to take over the entire world and remove the concept of ownership by 2030?

You probably should read the thread before commenting?

• Advertisement

Just be consistent. If you're going to hammer grifters then include grifters such as The Guardian.

Or maybe stop with the grifter nonsense altogether. People can read articles without donating to the author(s). I have read articles on grifter sites such as The Guardian without making a donation when asked to. I have never made, and would never make, a donation to any media person or organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

It's not irrational to believe ostensibly temporary measures may and can end up being permanent. It has happened throughout history.

Why do you think Doug Ford felt it necessary to emphasise that the vaccine passport system in Toronto is temporary: https://dailyhive.com/toronto/doug-ford-vaccine-passport-temporary

Why does he 'understand' people's concerns? Or are people who are concerned about vaccine passports all "conspiracy theorists"?

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the vaccine passport in Toronto. As I say, no country in the world that introduced vaccine passports has abolished them, including countries with close to 100% vaccination rates. One state, São Paulo, has vaccinated 100% if its population, and yet masks are still required everywhere there, including outside, and vaccine passports are also required.

I think grifter is another item you need to do some research on

Do you understand the difference between journalism and attention seeking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Another thing checked on the ‘do not understand’ list. You don’t understand what a grifter is. The list is exceptionally long.

• Advertisement

They wreck every thread on here, unfortunately. They talk about 'adult discussions', while being unable to grasp that it isn't adult-like behaviour to reply non-stop to posters who have them on ignore, they talk about 'echo chambers', while they all say the same thing, and they go on about grifters, while having no problem with newspapers such as The Guardian that ask readers for donations at the end of their articles.

There's a very simple solution...discuss the actual conspiracy theory. Don't just link dump and tell us what other people think. Think for yourself and put it in words. If you believe in it as strongly as you make out it really shouldn't be that hard. Give reasons for why you think things are panning out the way they are and discuss what direction you believe they are heading and why. The why is the most important part by the way. If you keep throwing the toys out of the pram and putting people on ignore because they ask you questions there can never be an adult discussion so maybe it's you that wants the echo chamber.

It's not really a functioning democracy because a third of the population, based on results of recent referenda, is politically homeless and has no one, save for a handful of Independents who, because of how few they are in number, have no power or influence, to vote for. In the US, for example, there's a party for half the country and another party for the other half. There's even the Libertarian Party for people who don't like either of the two established parties. For whom can a pro life Catholic person vote for in Ireland? No political party. Only option is an Independent (fringe political parties aren't an option). I'm going off topic here, but I don't know how anyone could argue that a huge number of Irish people are totally unrepresented in their own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Its called the conspracy "theory" forum.

Just in case you dont know what that means.

theory

noun [ C or U ]UK  /ˈθɪə.ri/ US  /ˈθɪr.i/

formal statement of the rules on which a subject of study is based or of ideas that are suggested to explain a fact or event or, more generally, an opinion or explanation:

So, ideas intended to explain something. Nowhere does it mention link dumping a la Facebook or Twitter. Or just the feeling that something isnt right.

"Please don't ask me questions about my theory" isn't going to cut it im afraid. ie I dont think theres some big global simultaneous nefarious plan happening. Thats my theory about covid. I think its a pandemic. The virus is real. Ive grave issues with some of the restrictions but I dont think its all about control or communism or whatever. And happy to answer questions about it.

If you think something else is going on, tell us. Flesh it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I know your post is directed at me due to a number of comments you made. You claim to have me on ignore, buts that’s obviously just more bull

You just posted another whinge which is obviously not conducive to an adult discussion. A forum is where discussions occur, not a place to throw a strop because people don’t agree with you. Yes, you would love an echo chamber. Others think it’s dangerous on gullible people to have an echo chamber because they can be taken in by lies. Therefore, people will correct lies and point out bullshit.

Post edited by Fighting Tao on

Jesus christ. The Guardian, like all newspapers, used to make money from print sales. Since the internet arrived, that has stopped, so many newspapers have to rely on other methods of income, some go subscription only, to avoid that, the Guardian allows people to donate to keep them going.

They want to keep it free so people like you can read them. If not enough people donate, then they either have to go subscription or shut down.

Likewise Wikipedia wants to remain free to anyone, for obvious reasons, but they need money to keep running, ergo they ask for donations.

That's not to be confused with people who make money from BS on the internet, the stuff you regularly post in here.

It is irrational to think they will go on forever with no reason.

There were measures for the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic, as that subsided, those measures were removed.

Post edited by Dohnjoe on

Once again to summarise this entire thread, a handful of individuals think that all these measures will be permanent for nefarious reasons they can't coherently explain.

Still waiting for any credible explanation or conspiracy theory.

Getting dangerously close to 10000 pages with no conspiracy theory presented.

• Advertisement

I like how you make this rant, yet you keep having to mentioning that you have people on ignore like a big brave boy.

Though I'm disappointed you didn't use your cute little pet name you have for me again.

So anyway, please tell us more about your super adult theory about the giant global communist takeover that's going to happen in 8 years that you learned about because you deciphered the secret clue in a children's song...

He and his pals want an echo chamber.

A few months ago they tried to have the forum shut down because it allowed people to disagree with them. When they were challenged on that thread, they did the same thing. Toys out of the pram, ignoring questions and points, not actually discussing anything.

Conspiracy theorists don't want to discuss conspiracy theories. They just want to dump links from twitter they found that appeal to them, then use that to pretend to be informed and privy to secret information.

The reason they get so upset by basic and simple questions is because it exposes that's what they're doing. They can't address any questions because those aren't found on conspiracy twitter. And they can't come up with their own answers because doing so requires critical thinking about the conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

WTC7 is a clear proof of the 911 conspiracy. This research is a clear proof of the freemasonic global government plot

:https://www.academia.edu/45000293/COVID_cure_or_perpetual_vaccination_10_cheap_effective_treatments_of_COVID_variants_like_ivermectin_or_never_ending_compulsory_vaccination_

The next step after banning paper money for digital currency? digital wallet with digital ID, passport, insurance, vaccine status, driver's license, etc. One click and they e-murder you.

Lol and this is meant to be an example of why people should take you guys and your theories seriously?

The other conspiracy theorists would bitch and moan about people claiming this was what they believed.

Are you attempting to make the others look ridiculous?

As for the others, how come none of you challenge or correct claims like this if you don't believe them?

Are you not interested in discussing them?

Renua and Aontu tend to aim for the pro life Catholic vote. The fact they're not very popular is democracy in action... Do you want some sort of artificially successful party?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I'm still waiting for him to get back to me about the new evidence he had uncovered and was going to discuss will me when he had looked into it more.

That was about three months ago yet not a peep since even after several times asking for this new evidence, it's like it never existed and he was using it as an excuse not to discuss the points I was making that day.

Ever use Wikipedia? They are always asking for donations too, are they also grifters in your eyes?

Does asking for donations mean that everyone who does ask are grifters?

Okay, what are the details of that plot? What happened?

Within the first few lines

"genetic-hacks,

deceivingly called vaccines instead of haccines? Scientific proof of the PLANdemic

Viral covididiocy"

And you expect us to take them seriously 🤣

• Advertisement

No doubt the only reason they aren't popular is because of some kind of conspiracy against them.

It's not possible that they might just be unpopular because they're not popular and support unpopular things.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement