Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The figure for 12+ fully vaccinated is 90.6%

Those people too seriously ill/frail who medically cannot take a vaccine would not be the ones who would end up in ICU as ICU would have no medical benefits for them. So they wouldn't be included in ICU figures anyway. Not everyone is treated in ICU unfortunately.

There's still a debate about the milder illness, is it milder all around or is it just milder for vaccinated/recovered people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Those ridiculous 2k restrictions certainly weren't pro health either. I quite frankly would have never went out cycling if I had obeyed them, as it would be tedious as can be. I remember seeing a lad cycling up and down the same section of road, again and again, and to me he was a mad man, in his own head though he was probably a hero.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

If you're eating or drinking, you can't wear a mask. I'd imagine that's why.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It is essential that the government look for the details of how many people are in hospital for covid and how many are in hospital and test positive and are not being treated for Covid.

The way this variant is going we are all going to get it the case numbers are probably 30,000 or 40,000 at this stage.

If we keep testing everybody going to hospital for non covid related issues the numbers in hospital for Covid is going massively increase.

If we base policy based on hospital numbers and cases then schools wont open and we will go into lockdown despite Omicron actually being what is going to end the pandemic.

People's mental health will be destroyed looking at just hospital numbers also.

We need to split out hospital cases by Covid related and incidental and report on that going forward.

Hospitals will be overrun in January like every year so it's in Nphets best interests to keep restrictions or impose more to cover themselves unfortunately.

I've eventually caught up with this thread. It got way ahead of me at one stage and there were over 20 pages to catch up on! Anyway, I hope you all had a lovely Christmas. I've heard anecdotally that Covid is rampant in my locality. We hosted a small house party on the 27th. In order for people to feel comfortable, we suggested that people do a LFT before coming. There were a couple of no shows who, it turns out, were close contacts and didn't want to risk it. Fair enough.

With regard to restrictions, the general consensus on this thread over the past week is that more restrictions are coming our way. I don't follow the numbers but from what I can gather, cases are rocketing but hospitalisations and ICU admissions aren't...is that right? If so, why would more restrictions be introduced?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The fact that we have more ICU beds this year does not change the fact that the numbers unvaccinated in ICU are grossly disproportionate compared to those vaccinated. From the CSO figures where vaccination status is known for the 4 months August - November the percentage of those unvaccinated in ICU are. August 61%, September 60%, October 48%, November 54%.

Those percentages for just 7% of the population are crazy. They have nothing to do with the numbers of those vaccinated in the 12 -24 age group as none that age were in ICU during those months, and little, or most likely nothing, to do with those too frail to take a vaccine, as they would not even be admitted to ICU. Other than those immunocompromised being advised to get boosters due to their conditions resulting in the vaccines waning faster, I have seen no advise for them not to availing of a vaccine due to being immunocompromised. The opposite in fact.

Vaccines and boosters prevent serious illness and death in all groups, not just those most at risk. Hospital and ICU numbers for the unvaccinated show that. While this strain appears to cause less serious illness, could that not possibly be due to so many being vaccinated and boosted or from having recovered from a previous infection ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I would say people are fearful for restrictions because the leader of the country is on twitter advising people to avoid meeting in houses or to go shopping which are not restrictions we have in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I see Boris is now claiming 90% of UK ICU admissions not boosted, seems UK moving on from blaming the unvacinated for clogging up ICU beds, not a mention of course how many in UK ICU beds fully vaccinated.

Watch this space, non boosted in Ireland will be the next pariahs in Irish Society 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It will be interesting what the % is with Omicron and with boosters, will the well of people unvaccinated dry up as infections spread or will the boosters and Omicron reduce the vaccinated % being hospitalised.

Either way, the same posters will keep trying to muddy the waters by pushing the false "can't be vaccinated narrative" even though it's been debunked multiple times (it's usual for them to slink away for a few days and then come back with the same, so you know they know that they are lying).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

from what I can gather, cases are rocketing but hospitalisations and ICU admissions aren't...is that right? If so, why would more restrictions be introduced?

Yet. We don't know if omicron wave will feed through into hospitalisations/ICU admissions. That is probably why government/NPHET are holding fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Since the restrictions lifted I’ve not worn a mask inside a pub. Never been asked to either. And I’ve been in quite a few in various different towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Well something is most certainly feeding into Covid19 hospital admissions, considering that they have increased by 50% in under a week.

But in 2019, if the HSE, in its infinite wisdom, had started moving people from hospital to nursing homes, who may have had the flu but weren’t sick yet, would it likely have increased or decreased the numbers dead?

Because that’s what they did at the start of Covid, literally opened the door of the most vulnerable for it to rip through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

There are 50% more people in hospital with Covid in the last week?, source please.

Oh, I wasn't aware that hospitalisations were shooting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sure but reasoning may help to give a post/opinion a bit more credibility. Anyone can fire off a one liner!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Here is the hospitalization data for the last 5 days (i.e. those in hospital on that date due to Covid19) :

2021-12-25: 378

2021-12-26: 426

2021-12-27: 461

2021-12-28: 521

2021-12-29: 568

So an increase of 50.3% over the course of less than one week.

These are official government statistics which can be found here: https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/hospitals-icu--testing

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Mostly people would rather see actual news or failing that diverse opinions on non-COVID subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

7 day admissions are 40 a day, a week ago it was 35. Something is feeding hospital figures, lack of discharges over the Christmas period and then obviously people testing positive in hospital for other reasons etc..

You only have to look at hospital beds available over the Christmas period, 1500 free beds on Stephen's day, down to about 700 as of last night. So at least 800 non covid admissions, how many of them could have tested positive? England estimated 1 in 35 had covid last week.... That's statically 33 of them would test PCR positive to match the community. I've a feeling we've probably a higher rate than England.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

There is an undercurrent of schadenfreude in relation to how some people are viewing this situation.

The curtain twitchers of Catholic Ireland of the past are now replaced by the tut-tutting of Covid rule enforcement types.

Most of us are in the middle ground on this issue but as much as there are oddballs on the anti vax side they are balanced out by the dogmatic fervor of those on the opposite end of spectrum.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

The source for that 90% claim was "anecdotal evidence from some NHS trusts".

So that all seems very legit and Boris is completely trustworthy, of course.

Then again, considering the data coming out showing that double vaccinated people are significantly more likely than unvaccinated people to be infected with Omicron, and assuming (generously) that boosters are effective for more than a few weeks, and also assuming that the fears of the health professionals worrying about the effect of so many repeated doses of the available vaccines on the immune system are unfounded, then yeah, maybe Boris bullshitting to national propaganda outlets that will uncritically run with the 90% headline in order to scare people into being boosted is totally warranted.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Wasn’t there a journalist early on in this, who upon asking Our Fearless Leader Tony an awkward question, found herself ignored and her microphone turned off??

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

65% of all "Covid hospitalisations" in the UK in the 2 weeks prior to December 21st were incidental findings. Probably more now. The severe illness and death rates are much lower, and hospital stays short, based on all evidence available from countries that are making it available.

The main concern in the UK right now is healthcare workers isolating while asymptomatic or only very mildly ill, causing staff shortages.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

Does anyone know how much money media outlets have been given by government since Covid started compared to the years before? I assume that such information is in the public domain.

It must be substantial given the extent that the media toe the line, go along with the narrative and never ask any tough questions.

I hear you 😏 but how predictable another cohort being blamed , I give it a week and HSE Will start blaming Non Boosted for clogging up hospital's, Anne O Connor (HSE chief Spin Doctor) on morning Ireland saying they are coping really well 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 38,260 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Its crazy that we won't be going back to 2019 normal in early-mid 2022 (hell you could say all off 2022 possibility) we will get something similar to Octobers reopening. No questions will be asked about the state of the health service with numerous groups been blamed again for the rising numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Look how serious the government departments take this virus....couldnt give a fùck.....

Also interesting to note that the government mouthpiece RTE report this story without showing the actual photo.....

Edit: RTE are now showing the photo..but for the first few hours of the story they didnt show the pic...

Thats either pure incompetence or not wanting to highlight that RTE were at the same thing or not wanting to upset their paymasters

Post edited by StevenToast on

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

The head on the fella taking the picture, absolute Dickhead 😳

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Advertisement

Ray Wally (GP) of riddle me fame (P Kenny show) painting a grim picture on the news at one but intriguingly there is no PCR tests available anywhere and I mean anywhere. Basically he's saying those with mild symptoms need to wait for test availability, don't be bothering your GP unless serious symptoms. This would suggest as Omicron symptoms are mild, people will be waiting for PCR tests and in essence the numbers being reported not very reliable.

Of course there's another problem with this chaos, with businesses already shuttered, those who have to isolate don't actually know they have to , without a pcr test or instruction from HSE or GP , people can not claim the enhanced illness benefit, in essence go days without pay .

Advertisement