Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Hello Mr Rebel,

I did the express PCR in Randox Dublin Airport- that's the one that costs 89 euro. They provided me with a valid travel certificate. That was 3 weeks ago, December 10th.

The result came 2.5-3 hours after the test, so I think your scenario sounds rather risky.

Post edited by Irish Aris on

• Registered Users Posts: 4 boredsuser123

Do you know how long it takes for the recovery cert to be process & emailed to you? It says "within 5 days", which leave me due to receive mine on the day I fly (which is a Sat) if it takes all 5 days. I'm a little anxious myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Heading to Fuerteventura in 8 days, looks like the weather is great there too!

And they even provide health insurance that incorporates COVID cover too, rather handy!

I wonder what is acceptable proof of the booster? All I have is a letter from my doctor. It's not on my Digital Cert yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I imagine that’s the longest it will take, if it’s close maybe a call might speed it up? That is what I am hoping. I don’t see a reason why it should take that long…but you never know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Thanks for responding!

Good to hear they give you a valid travel cert so that part is ok at least.

Yeah I figured 2 hours would be far too risky, especially if I landed to the horror of a positive PCR at my destination.

I’m also very interested to hear if any boosted person has been to Austria recently and can tell us what was accepted as a form of proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

You will still need another test. No exemption for recovered persons, which I think is a bit mad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Is there an end date to the negative antigen/PCR on arrival into Ireland?

In the same boat as @unplayable, currently have covid and traveling abroad in Jan.

Afraid the virus will still show up on antigen/PCR tests and be 'positive' when in fact I'll have recovered yet small amount of virus still in system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Won't happen with antigen but it may with a PCR. I'd avoid PCR for travel unless required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I presume you’re going to a place without the need for a PCR / test? If not and you need the result, you will not get either past the check in desk or else the boarding gate as it will be most likely checked there and not just when you land. Even if you don’t have it, you will at least have to have it in your hand.

Also, Randox is usually very busy and the slot times are more guidance. I would allow a minimum of an hour to get in and out around your slot time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Thanks for that. Of course, I never thought they’d check for PCR test at boarding, only after landing, duh on my part!

Anyway I’m looking at going to Vienna where they will accept proof of booster over a PCR test, but that’s another story as we currently have no proof to offer we’ve had it outside of a worthless piece of card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Has it been confirmed that the card is not valid? I would check with their official tourist agency to clarify. It was valid earlier in the year prior to the DCC becoming active.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Just a quick question about acceptable Antigen tests on arrival back in Ireland. Is it likely one conducted in a pharmacy (in France in my case) will be acceptable? I enquired and they assured me it would be valid for travel. I have an option of using the pharmacy at the departure airport but it might be very busy and figured a local pharmacy would be a better choice.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Once they can provide you with a travel cert/QR code I’m sure it’ll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I’m in Belgium and the local pharmacy does them and it uploads to their main site and you get an official certificate from it. No issues with them for travel to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hontou

Thanks Beanybabog for this info. I'm going to Brussels on Saturday and returning on the following Wednesday. I see I can get an antigen for return at Brussels airport for €55 but in central Brussels in the official centres they cost €35. Did you just walk into a pharmacy and ask or did you see it advertised somewhere? Did you prebook? I'd rather just organise it there if it is as easy as walking into a pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Actually I didn’t see it advertised, we had just arrived to move here and family helping us had to fly home. I asked the school for advice and they sent me there. I believe it’s hard for non residents to get tests - but I imagine lots of other pharmacies doing them if my local one is, but I wouldn’t rely on walking in somewhere as I have no idea how many are doing it. Maybe check local ones near where you are staying and email them first? Im not in brussels but the pharmacy here does the tests with no pre booking and charges €27. It’s super handy, but as I said I have no idea if this is common so if I was you I’d want to have a place lined up.

My buddy applied on Tue night & it arrived on Wed morning. We're actually efficient at something. Who knew?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Amazing, this fills me with hope! Thanks for letting me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Major Dad

Anyone come back to Ireland through Holyhead in the last couple of days? I'm wondering how strict they are in checking documentation at the ferry check-in at Holyhead? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

antigen test - 48 hours before arrival rather than departure is that correct? so what if your fight is delayed etc are they going to calculate the hours since you took ur test?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

also what exactly is professionally administered some clinics abroad do a self swap that is witnessed by professionals and then they test the results - is that sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Correct, before arrival. Nearly all countries make allowances for any flight delays from what I've seen on their websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Currently in Scotland for the Xmas, I just want to check I've done the right protocol for coming back to Ireland. I'm flying on 3rd January to Dublin from Edinburgh, I had trouble trying to book an antigen test as all the pharmacies are shut on New Years day but finally managed to book a test at Edinburgh Airport for 2.30 pm on New Years day, my departure time is 11.50 am on the 3rd so hopefully authorities aren't too anal about myself being over 2 hours under the 48 hours as I'm fully vaccinated. I understand then that I have to isolate for 5 days afterwards doing one antigen per day for 5 days, are these antigens supplied to me by the HSE or do I have to pay for them myself.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

There's no isolation unless you're not fully vaccinated (in which case you'd need a PCR anyway). The antigen tests for 5 days is just a recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hontou

Have just had to cancel a family holiday to Belgium tomorrow as 2 in our household have positive antigen tests and cannot get them PCR tests anywhere. All money lost as I had paid the non refundable rate for accommodation. I stupidly did this after feeling optimistic when I booked it during the Summer time as everyone was getting vaccinated. Flights non refundable too. My own fault but very disappointed as I unpack the bags.

On a side note........is the PCR / Antigen shortage affecting other EU countries too? Is there now a new risk that when returning to Ireland there could be difficulty obtaining/booking a test appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Has anyone been to the Canaries recently? I cannot see any requirements for a PCR upon arrival but I want to be 100% We will be travelling from Dublin and my partner has a UK passport. I know I need an antigen done professionally to return to Ireland. Cheers for any advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

Your travel insurance should cover this. Very disappointing for you.

Advertisement