Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Component parts, man charged.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,353 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Was there ever a solid consensus or definition of what forms a component part stemming from the rifle chassis case? Other than the fact a stock/chassis is not one?

edit: seems to not be relevant here as he had receiver and similar parts. But wondering in general

Post edited by Mellor on

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kunekunesika

No reasonable lawful purpose?

And 3 names?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

No.

The items listed in that court case were clarified but everything else is fair game, seemingly.

The other thing is, and this is a guess or reading between the lines, it comes across as the guy had no license either for the firearms he had parts for or at all and so any reasonable excuse someone (with a license) may have for having these parts would not be available to him.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

That is my "between the lines" reading of it too.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Sounds like a courier/mule for someone attempting to assemble a few AR's and Glock?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kunekunesika

You d wonder why they would go the Meccano route? Especially when he had a set of instructions???

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kellbag91

So much stuff on the Web these days for 3d printed guns. Whatever about the Ar, I'd say he would have been able to get a frame for the glock without to much hassel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Slide for a pistol is evidently an essential component, but a buffer tube, spring, buffer, end cap are all parts which come on a lot of replica firearms and airsoft replicas, both of which are legal to possess without a licence. Same specs as the real thing too.

I'll be curious to see what charges actually stick in this case.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

Almost as if a CF SA and a pistol ban isn't going to stop criminals getting their hands on them. Who'd have thunk it?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭judestynes

I own examples of both of these, completely legal there is no legislation governing them at all. If that the guy demonstrates these are model gun parts not firearms parts he'll win his case.

• Advertisement

You may wish to check the legislation again. Component parts are deemed to be be firearms treated as such.

I dint know of any model gun that includes a genuine receiver. Similarly, a genuine pistol slide shouldn’t be hard to identify.

Be interested in knowing what documentation he had on building the ARs?Was it a "how to build your upper/lower parts kit into an AR" type manual? Or was it more technical on how to build one from scratch with an 80% lower?

As for building an AR/Glock from an airsoft lower.Not going to happen...ATF tried that scare story a few years ago stateside and it backfired spectacularly.A .22 blowback style gun maybe. But not something that fires a full-blown .223 round consistently. Just by weight alone and configuration is enough to tell you the difference between a real Gock slide and a fake. Not to mind airsoft companies deliberately make AR lowers with weaker metal and slightly different tolerances to prevent this exact thing from happening, and have been doing so since they became a thing in Japan in the 1980s.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I already have checked it. How many model gun kits do you own and how long have you had them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Sure can't you buy replica guns without any hassle. Ye just can intimidate people with them pretending that they are a real gun etc etc,,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

This fella.... same age, arrested on the same day, using one of the aliases in the OPs' article... (different defence Solr though..)

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

Difference in date of the court , he's probably changed counsel.

Anyway, I highly doubt given the details of the arrest/location reported in the article that he's an airsoft/replica enthusiast. Also read between the lines at where the Garda was from.

Mate, it's literally in the first section of the Firearms act. “ firearm ” means — ( ) any article which would be a firearm under any of the foregoing paragraphs F3 [ or paragraph ( ] but for the fact that, owing to the lack of a necessary component part or parts, or to any other defect or condition, it is incapable of discharging a shot, bullet or other missile or projectile or of causing a shock or other disablement, as the case may be. Revised Acts (lawreform.ie). I honestly hope that wasn't a real Glock frame or slide, or you're in possession of a restricted short firearm.

Mate, model guns aren't firearms of any classification. My point was the state has to prove the component in question are actually for firearms, in the case of the Glock slide that's pretty cut and dry it should be serial numbered but the spring and buffer maybe not. Assembling an AR is no easy feat without the proper tools and if the guy is acting as a mule as an earlier post suggested then there is a very serious issue and crime gangs are upping there game or at least I hope it's a crime gang as opposed to some terrorist outfit, a criminal enterprise being the lesser of 2 evils.

If they're capable of being made into live firearms, then legally they are firearms. Of course if they're made of dye cast metal, they aren't firearms, but if you have a normal Glock frame with a fake frame, then yeah it's illegal.

Yes, I very much agree. The Glock frame or slide, I forget which it was, but that is clearly a firearm, but a spring and buffer tube would be harder to prove. Yeah, I hope the same but the 2015 Regency Hotel shooting showed that crims and terrorists can work in cooperation, ie the AK47s were sourced from the IRA I believe.

Regarding serial numbers, there was a EU directive about that recently but if a part doesn't have a serial number, it can still be used in a firearm.

Regarding serial numbers, there was a EU directive about that recently but if a part doesn't have a serial number, it can still be used in a firearm.

Only if they are receivers or pressure bearing parts. Everything else is still free to own by anyone.

but if you have a normal Glock frame with a fake frame, then yeah it's illegal.

Be careful of these MSM "Glock" reports. It's too easy for the lazy and ignorant MSM to lump any type of new pistol into the "Glock" bin. There are now a few "Glock type"[IE have a Glock profile, but are made by totally different manufacturers,] firearms out there that can be converted from blank firers to live firing and have been deliberately built and designed to do this from the word go. One notorious Pakistani design springs to mind and it has been found here in Ireland.

So question anything we are told in Irish and general MSM descriptions of firearms as to whether they are accurate in any shape or form.

• Advertisement

Well they if you checked it you know there is in fact legislation about firearms parts.

The point model guns being legal to own is irrelevant unless these are models guns. And it seems pretty clear that they are not.

An AR receiver is a firearm and requires a license. Ditto a pistol slide.

Yes, that's a fair point about Glocks. I'd imagine the MSM see a polymer frame and think Glock.

Advertisement