Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

crazy stuff, never seen that before... he blew up for a load of their lads going down... was a bit mad to be fair... small time crowd tbf..

exactly.. and their small time crowd goes quiet...

listen even big sam got result like that... a stopped clock is right twice a day and all that...but they should incredible character

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

I most certainly blame the FA, they have just let state backed “firms” stroll in and wash their money to try enhance their profile in the world.

its an old story at this stage, and the Premiership is a neutered version of the blockbuster it used to be.

the rich get richer and the poor are kept at distance.

honestly 6/7 years from now Liverpool could be battling it out with west ham and Everton as the clubs with oil money will literally be in a different league.

human rights? The FA or sky sports don’t give a chit about any of that. Jack grealish getting a new Lamborghini will be a bigger story or Roy Keane having a Barney with carra.

these “journalists “ will all go to Qatar with their blinkers on and laude the PR job Beckham has done.

liverpool will try sign Bellingham in the summer and at the last minute Chelsea or city will pony up an extra 150k a week in wages and it’s goodbye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

some wake up call tonight a Leicester team void of confidence with no recognisable centre halves playing yet we gift them the three points

city go 9 clear tomorrow then we go to Stamford bridge it’s definitely looking like it’s top 4 and win the cups for me

in fairness lad the market and our finances wouldnt allow it... sure we had half empty stadiums for months.. but yeah City can go and buy a £100m player... thats the reality of the situation.... look at city's bench every week... its ridiculous... i'm not saying its over but we have a hill to climb for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A BLIP IS good, at the right time, City's will come too. We just need to win the second half of the season, we only reached the half way point tonight. No prize for winning the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I think that Klopp likes to solve the problem with the resources that he has at his disposal. Which is noble of course but ultimately a little futile considering who he has to compete with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

But Liverpool does this to teams on a different level too....the likes of a Southampton, West Ham, Leeds etc put together a decent squad and we will be one of the first to raid their assets. Like Barca, Real have done to us for a number of years.

Regarding the money washing, this is only the beginning. All these top clubs are now worth billions and when FSG decide to sell up who do you think is going to be lining up to buy us? Unfortunately there is not too many ethical foundations with billions to spare who just love investing in football clubs.

We really need goals from midfield, but that means getting rid of Henderson, Milner, Keita, and playing two out and out creative goal scorers along side the holder, like City do.

_________Alisson_____

Trent_Konate_VVD_Robertson

__________Fab__________

Mane_____________Jota__

Salah____Haaland____Son Heung

• Advertisement

I dunno how City win so many games with such attack minded midfielders, maybe it's a game of bluff, teams fear them, so down tools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don't really see the point in the big declarations of the league being all over. Is it a bit harder to win now? Yeah, of course. Is it already done? of course not. We came into the league as probably 3rd favourites. We're probably 2nd favourites now. We've only just passed the halfway point. There's no need for grandiose statements of failure for a wee while yet.

Also, keep in mind this is not the same City team that went getting those incredible 17/18 and 18/19 points totals, and it's not playing like that team. It's playing much more like last years team, where they go on runs of looking like they're gonna score 4 or 5 every game, and then suddenly find a team they just can't break down. They walked the league last year, but only got 86 points. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they once again don't break 90 this year. That will still probably win it for them to be honest - but I just don't think this is a season you need to be absolutely perfect every single week to have a chance, like 18/19 was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A fit Origi could have done a job there tonight or even Minamino.

Bobby is only coming back from an injury and doesn't look match ready.

We need at least two more forward of a certain standard that doesn't have a drop off from the first team however Liverpool can't afford to pay £150/200k a week to squad players of that level like City or Chelsea that may not be used every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

What makes you think they'll blip?

They're more likely to not blip than blip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

They have the best technical players around, so can keep the ball insanely well in any situation, even under the duress of a full press. Any team who can't counter accurately or keep the ball themselves, is fúcked.

If you beat that press, as Leicester showed for 20 minutes the other day, they can be routinely gotten at. The problem is, not enough teams are good enough to do it.

They haven't won the Champions League under Pep because the system is flawed against elite teams without prime Messi, and you generally meet 2 or 3 in a row at some stage.

But the best team of technical players, in that system, beats 95% of teams. Hence he tends to steamroll leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Midfield is where we seem to be suffering, and Mane up front is becoming a bit of a liability. Ox i dont think is good enough and Milner will not be around next season i reckon. When Thiago is out you can really see the difference. Hendo still seems to be recovering from whatever illness he had.

Really shouldnt have let Gini go, or at least got a replacement in for him during the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Some big calls for Klopp next summer some of his boys (Mane,Bobby ) may need moving on

He is a very loyal manger and funds are always tight so it'll be interesting ,

Must win v Chelsea but we can't see us wining ,we just don't seem to have it in us this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

What gets me about last night is not that we lost, I hate losing but I can handle it. It is that we lost and it was down to ourselves and our best players. Jota missed a few good chances and Salah and Mane missed almost certainties. We go 1-0 up with the penalty and Leicester cannot sit back and the game is different. Mane one-on-one and he misses.

Add in good saves from Schmeichel and it is just such an irritating loss. But no time to be down, the next match is around the corner and we have to be up for it. League is gone, but I think we have to accept that under Guardiola and unlimited funds and no breaks for their spending, the league will always be out of reach. It is a miracle we took them that close and won it. That was magnificent, City will make the Premier League look like the Bundesliga from now on.

• Advertisement

To be fair we have come such a long way, even when we lose we batter teams,

I read we had the most touches n the box since that stat has been recorded without a goal in last night game,

Very frustrating last night is a game where we need a proper number 9 a Haaland or a Kane type to get you a goal ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

We didn't even need a striker, Salah with a better penalty and Mane with the finish and I think we win the match. Its how it goes sometimes I guess, doesn't make it easier to digest.

Mane needs a goal badly , he is reverting back to last seasons form

I wonder will Jurgen go with Jota left & Bobby through the middle for the Chelsea game, worked a treat against United,

Plus Bobby will get around Jorghino

You get a sense that the title could slip away in the next week if MC go 12 points ahead. It really will be a pity if this team only has one title to show for their brilliance of the last 4 seasons. But the issues were identified early in the season, points dropped in matches that should have been won. The Chelsea match is now a must win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I taught Milner did OK last night.

He tried quick forward passes. Stuff you need to do when faced with a defensive wall.

Naby lad on the other hand. Crab passes all the time. This fella is meant to take players on and draw players to him to make space. In realty he is next to useless. And fairly spineless too.

He has been an expensive dud in my opinion

I thought Naby played a few brilliant passes into Mane in the box when he came on,

I think we missed Robbo ability to constantly make the outside run to create the space for Mane , Without question one of the stupidest red cards we have got under Klopp no need for it at all,

We will struggle against Chelsea to create from the left , You need that over lap to pull there 3rd CB out ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Half the problem is City have changed the model to having two full 11's with very little drop off in quality when a player needs to be replaced. Whereas our model is constantly trying to find diamonds in the rough, coaching them brilliantly yes but also hoping they come good. That worked very well with Salah, Mane, Firmino but when two of them are off to AFCON we are really going to see a drop off in quality.

Without the financial resources of a City or Chelsea we have to continually depend on a bit of luck for diamonds in the rough to consistently develop into top drawer players. Sooner or later that element of luck runs out.

The season is not over but with City in juggernaut mode and us often having a January slump it doesnt look good for the league. This squad will still have a very good tilt at the CL and over two legs on their day there is no-one they cannot beat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Draws are killing us, 5 already.

The Brighton & Brentford one where terrible ,win them to games & there's only 2 points in it,

Letting City back in the game at our place was another killer,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

No excuse for last night, funnily enough it reminded me of the worst days under Rodgers where we'd finish a match embarrassed for not having scored.

The only thing Klopp can do is absolutely bollock them.

And just to say also this approach of not cancelling an entire round of scheduled matches is a joke, as you can blatantly see the impact it's having in multiple aspects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The worst part about the loss is that it makes the Chelsea game a must win now, just to keep somewhat in touch with City at the top.

I could’ve tolerated the idea of a draw at Stamford Bridge under the assumption we’d deal with Leicester handily enough. We don’t even have that luxury anymore, lose on the 2nd and there really is no way back, barring season-ending injuries to Dias, Cancelo, Silva and Rodri at the very beginning of February. Any earlier and City could just replace them in the transfer window with £70m players on a whim.

That’s what we’re up against. The title win of 2020 is looking more and more legendary every day.

Because we in the first half of season had to face

West Ham A

Wolves A

Leeds A

Spurs A

Brentford A

Everton A

Leicester A

These places are particularly difficult to play at.

City are yet to go away to a lot of these places, plus they face Arsenal away too. So lets see how they fair, as they are tricky places.

We have that list at home in second half of season, while our away games looks far less difficult than that list, except of course Chelsea away next.

Frankly I can't see how we don't win the title from here, so much of the harder work is done. It will be great winning a second league title with Klopp.

I guess you just have to look at the bigger picture, still in all cups, looking promising in two of them. Still plenty to play for. The Leeds game being postponed and Chelsea next is just skewing our hopes right now in the league. Just need to focus on ourselves and see how we are end of January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Exactly, focus on our own performances, let City do what they do, it's not in our control.

Only caught highlights of last night in MOTD, seemed we had a lot of good chances, but ran into Kasper on a very good day for him. I might be a bit off, but I thought we looked a bit leggy even in the highlights, I thought the same in the Spurs game in the second half too. Someone suggested Klopp giving a bollocking above, I don't know if that will achieve anything, are we suggesting there is a lack of effort?? Not likely, probably just some tiredness, the challenge is to keep the lads fresh while still picking up points.

As above, Chelsea has now turned I to a winner takes all, chances are though the big winner will be City with a draw in that game.

Kasper does seem to reserve his best for Liverpool. DDG was the same at one point before he gave up completely. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I talk about it all the time but just get shot down about it constantly. Mane isnt half the player he was 2 years ago when he was arguably one of the top 5 footballers in the world. It's a crying shame really cos he was amazingly good for a few years.

It's been clear for a long time to me he just isn't the same as he was. He used to miss chances but always have his head up until he got the goal, now it's just head down all the time.

Starting to wonder is it the wage structure that's effecting him. This is the flip side of being financially frugal and why the idea of paying Mo what he's due seems to be such a major issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭Azatadine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Can't even begin to reason with what I saw last night. They looked like they thought they only needed to turn up to win the game. Even with all that if Mo and Sadio do their jobs we probably do win it. You can have nights like last night if you haven't previously dropped poor points from winning positions, the points dropped at Spurs and Brentford, home to Brighton, even City at home to an extent, was a very poor goal to get them to 2-2. League was already a tough ask its nigh on impossible now, to have any hope we have to win at Chelsea and City. And probably every other game too! Might have to settle for the CL instead😁

• Advertisement

When do we face Arsenal away in the league, as no where is it listed,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

To be rescheduled as one teams will be the EFL Cup final on the original date

Only thing is Man City have played Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal after Saturday away from home so will have them at home in the 2nd half of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

VanDijk has been poor since returning - looks slower and a bit panicky at times. Fabinho should play in central defence alongside him.

Updated January fixtures (Kick-off times)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Yeah it's been clear to me for over a year now that Mane has regressed but feel free to scroll back through my posts and you will see anytime ive brought it up ive been shot down by 90% of people. Some people just refuse to see what's clearly in front of them I suppose in favour of a mixture of wishing, hoping and lying to themselves.

I'm delighted with Konate as a signing and think he has the potential to be a beast for us over the next few years but it was also as clear as day that we needed another CM option after Gini left, it never materialised and although we have been unlucky with CM's getting injured this season like we were in defence last year I can't help but feel if we had replaced Gini with Bissouma or someone of that ilk around the 40-50mill bracket we would be in much better shape now.

There is no-one more important to have in CM than Fabinho. Last thing we need to be doing is actively taking him out of there.

Think we've more than enough quality at CB without throwing our best number 6 in there.

I've always been on the record on Mane in this thread, even when he had that season where Mo was "off" by his own high standards.

Bissouma was just never gonna happen anyway, with an ongoing sexual assault case hanging over his head.

For better or worse, Klopp decided to bet big on Elliott, and it was just unfortunate that after some great performances he got a serious injury. We'd be in the same boat if Bissouma or Kessie or someone came in and got the same injury. Sometimes you just get unlucky with bad injuries at the wrong times.

• Advertisement

It was a big bet on a young lad, and one I still support, but it's interestingly a good comparison between us and City.

Look at Foden, a lad they've been able to bed in for years while having the comfort of someone ahead of him.

We could of had both Elliott and a replacement for Gini without one impacting the development of the other and I'm sure the money would have been there. But we punted....and now we're in a position where we're probably going to be asking what if again.

We're not City, don't have the money....but in the grand scheme of things how much would it have tested us to add one £30m buy to midfield?

Advertisement