Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Many in my friend group are doing the same, from all the home brewing and border purchasing next year AAI are gonna have a ball claiming they were directly responsible for any drop in consumption

• Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

And Sainsburys in Newry will have higher alcohol sales than any supermarket in the UK or Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭893bet

I am a FG support as such (in the absence of anything else I can identify with).

but.

Listening to Leo’s “many of us have drank more at home during the pandemic, I know I have” speech made me rage very **** hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,197 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But who is going to cause this "sh1t show" ?

There is no opposition to this politically so you won't have anyone brining it up in Dail questions.

And since it's been on the cards for the bones of a decade and never been an election issue I doubt the public in general will be too bothered either, far more important things like fuel inflation, post COVID economy, post Brexit supply chains etc to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Me and the wife have decided a trip to Newry will be made every 3 months to stock up. Its about 1hr 45 mins so not so bad. Hard to know the logic behind mup. An alcoholic with an addiction will always find the means to drink every penny. Its the families of these people, women and children who will most suffer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Yeah we will wait and see.

Same goes for the home brew and trips up north.

Its being discussed on the Home Brew page and one opinion is that the only people who end up doing home brew long term are the people who are actually interested in home brew.

It's not a simple process and many who just do it for cheap booze tend not to last long at it.

With regards to trips to the north have people fully figured out the cost involved ? It does not affect me as I live too far way from the border (5+ hours) to make it an option.

But there was a post earlier about someone makeing the 1hr 45min trip each way every 3 months.

Have they included the price of fuel, stoping for food (it would be a 3h 30m drive alone not to mention the shopping time so you would need to eat) and also the exchange rate and the cost of the exchange (if any).

Plus would they have the car capacity for 3 months worth of drink, and the storage capacity at home.

Then would the 3 months supply last 3 months, or would it be gone in two and a half months as it might be consumed quicker because "it's there".

All these would have to be taken into consideration before deciding if there were real savings to be made with a trip.

No doubt it will be feasible for some who are closer to the border, but if you could imagine a line across Ireland to show the demarcation point where is stops becoming feasible, that line has moved north a good bit in the last few months with increased fuel inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

You might be correct about the feasibility for some to make the trip across the border. However for many peopele less than an hours drive or closer it is going to make it an easy decision for them.

There is going to be a significant portion of people who will now make a decision to purchase there alcohol at asda and the likes now, and as well as that they will also spend their money on many other items while they are at it.

This is going to result in taxes being spent over the border and a net loss to our tax take here and also very damaging to many retail outlets this side of the border. Mup is going to damage our own economy here at a time when we are already going to take a big hit from all the covid restrictions. Absolute bonkers that their seems to be no political opposition to this.

It will happen initially, but in the long run it will not be significant.

People who are initially gung-ho for it will realize it's not as economical as they thought and others will be too lazy to put in the effort after a few trips.

Obviously for the people very close to the border it will be good, but how much thir habits will affect the overall economy will be negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Yes, on its own not economical but in conjunction with other trips yes

for example,the wife loves a night away in a hotel every now and then. Th e Slieve Russell in Cavan will be getting a lot more of her business next year...it’s 6 kms from the border. A night in Belfast will also become an option.

Example 2:when mayo are playin Tyrone up north, the trip will be become more attractive if supporters can fill their cars with cheap booze(and win the game as well)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭6541

Wait until you see there will be loads of men in white vans selling Nordie beer. You won't have to go to The North yourself, Smugglers will do it for you. It's like the cigarettes. Load of people I know just smoke Polish tobacco. It's the same for coal. Nobody I know buys Coal in the south anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Were the same been meaning to visit finn lough where they have those bubbles will definitely be looking for more interesting hotels in NI to try now due to this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭HBC08

Will it fùck,

The vast majority of TDs from all sides of the house supported this nonsense.

That's the baffling thing for me.

Another band of people who will suffer are workers and owners of supermarkets and shops.

God help the ones in the towns and city centres when the scumbags who hang around the streets drinking realise they can't get 10 cans for a few euro.

I'd expect thefts to rise and in the case where the scumbags are younger and more violent, muggings to rise as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Was talking about this in the pub on Stephens Day. No one in the pub knew about it, except the lad behind the bar. There is going to be absolute murder in stores on the first weekend of January. I’d nearly take a day off work to watch it unfold.

Well as you know it's all a big FG conspiracy to help pubs, because they said that in their manifesto from 2011.

So FG managed to get almost every TD and Senator from all parties and none to back them in their cunning plan to save the pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Another conspiracy is that it is to help Diageo gain control of the alcohol sales in Ireland by forcing the smaller ones out. At least until somebody starts adding citrus flavours to the cheap stuff and rebranding it as craft beer. 😜

Many people still think that this will only affect the cheap brands and nothing else. Some people going to be in for a shock when it is introduced.

I've read and heard about a boycott on any premised that sells alcohol that is linked to a politician. That to me shows more people are being made aware of it, but surely that boycott would probably be more effective if everyone just saved up for a road trip to France or Spain (or N.I.), and stocked up... (half joking).

The boycott thing unlikely to happen in Ireland, but this will definitely affect off licence sales in Ireland a lot more than they are hoping/accounting for with the extra profits, and I am wondering how they are going to try and counteract that issue when it is more apparent, or if they have even thought that far ahead.

Surely they cannot force another tax on alcohol bought abroad from within the EU?

When they bring in laws like this or the 10pm closing etc or any other law for that matter, why can they not be reviewed every couple of years and gotten rid of if they are not working as intended. Why is it always a case of that's it, deal with it, it's never changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭HBC08

Don't get me wrong,the whole thing is a farce as pointed out many times and in great detail on this thread.

I just can't understand how it received almost complete cross party support.I think the dishonesty from the likes of AAI that went completely unchallenged had a big part to play in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,334 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's all parties. The publicans have the power on all sides, that's why you never see any positing to this. That and the inability to protest in any meaningful way.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Will this affect the price of a keg?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Any new government can review it, repeal it or change it.

That they previously supported it doesn't mean SF, Labour or the other opposition parties can't campaign on a policy of repealing it - but that depends on it becoming a serious issue amongst their potential voters.

My prediction is that in 2024 SF will eventually campaign on a policy saying that MUP is fine as a concept, but that the actual price chosen was completely wrong and it should be reduced by ~20%.

Why do you think SF would reduce the MUP though ?

SFs base is in working class and deprived areas.

Many of their local representatives are community workers and people who are involved in those communities.

They would have seen first hand the damage done by alcohol abuse

No one in the SF brass is going to turn around and tell them that booze is too expensive and should be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'd see it that an election campaign is generally ran on a) what is a good policy and b) what is a policy that is good for votes. They aren't always the same thing, they sometimes they don't have a huge lot of overlap, and oftentimes you have to choose.

Reducing MUP would seem to me something that is good for votes in the SF catchment area. Especially when it has been set as a price point that can be claimed to attack the '€6 wine/€1.20 a can' hard-grafting working class voter who likes a few drinks at home on a Friday night, as opposed to the well-off middle class voters with their not increased €12 bottle of posh wine and craft beers (I'm hyperbole-ing quite a bit here). Some in SF may well believe as you say that MUP is a good thing and is correctly priced, but the realpolitik is that there is surely votes in being somewhat against it at campaign time.

It's just my prediction, I've been wrong about loads of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

Don't forget once travel restrictions are eased.... get a €20 or €30 daytrip to the UK with Ryanair and pick up your 4l of spirits duty-free on the way back. Enjoy a day in London while you're at it.

That's a valid point.

It would also enhance their standing with the young vote even more.

But it's high risk, they could be torn to shreads by the other parties on it from the health standpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Where's your next battle line AAI?

Drink sales times? What's next?

Intrigued to understand the next steps from this Christian fundamentalist 'charity' group.

Is that the best you can do ?

Accuse me of being AAI just because I don't go with the groupthink around here.

I'm all for drink in any surrounding pub or home.

I was thoroughly annoyed with nanny state moves in the past like the ending of 12:30 closing on a Thursday or the 10pm off license closing.

But I'm not convinced that MUP is just some sop to the VFI/LVF and I do believe in the long term it will reduce alcohol consumption and thus have positive health results.

Is it perfect, no, but I think it's positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They (or any party but especially SF) will have cover if the North bring in MUP at a lower rate to here... spin it as harmonisation / lost revenue.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement