Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Tongue in cheek comment :)

565 on my local journey today :)

long spins I get early 200’s alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

I rarely even manage that in my MX in winter! Did someone steal your tyres without you noticing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I see high 200's, maybe creeping into 300's but 500's!! That would require serious kW output from car side, never heard of anything like that even in sub zero/heating on/mad speeds etc.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

If you are stuck in traffic with heating on full blast it can happen. If it takes you 10 minutes to drive 5km, you would have drawn a couple of kWh to heat the car up from cold and 500s can happen. I haven't seen them personally but then my car thermostat is set to 19.

• Advertisement

In the car with cold battery. No precondition or anything.

seats and steering wheel heated up.

climate to 21 degrees.

Model S P90DL permanently set to ludicrous mode (Only Ludicrous Plus above that for launches).

no traffic. Just short local trips in north Dublin.

Most P owners experience this.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I rarely use the frunk (only when we have dogs in the back and we need to carry a good bit of luggage too) but realised the release mechanism isn't working as it should. This seems a 2 stage mechanism, the first stage an actuator opens the frunk slightly (this is working perfectly every time), but then you should be able to lift the bonnet up, but you can't. Well sometimes you can, it is intermittent. Had to try 15-20 times closing the lid and then opening from the key, before it fully opened. Same again later in the day.

Anyone any idea on a fix?

It is a two stage step as you pointed out. There was a software update in 2019 that sped up the reaction time to open the drunk but the actuator could not do it quickly enough. Mine was exact same as yours and they had to replace both parts with newer generation versions (under warranty). Since then it opens every time. You could phone Tesla and see on cost, Ranger did mine in around half/three quarters of an hour.

Something may be up.

Get it sorted while still under warranty. Or it could be related to your recent bonnet change?

Warranty was gone when I went through 100k miles last month :-(

Could well be related to the new bonnet, I'll ring Tesla when they are back open next week. Will update here.

• Advertisement

Cheers daddy_boy. Someone PMd me that earlier. Also my boot was replaced earlier this month, could very well be related too. I'll book it in for that recall / checkup

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭trackdaychamp

Our M3 RWD is on the way and we are selling our Model S which has mostly served us well. Bought it from Tesla in the UK in 2018 and they gave me a 4 year warranty so timing is good for us to move on now. During that time they had to replace the high voltage battery and motor under warranty. What do ye reckon on value for a 152 P85d with 109k KM's. 21 inch wheels. Free supercharging for life. Every single option ticked on the car in original invoice including premium audio, air suspension, autopilot with lane change (everything except the 2 extra seats in boot). I'll tell you then what Tesla have offered me...

I'm jealous that Unkel got the M3P loaner from Sandyford. Our car was off the road multiple times for nearly 3 months in one case and we got lumped with the gold Model S loaner which was a bit of a letdown as it was locked in Chill mode

Nicely specced car. I'd say you should get a minimum of 45k (and I think that's a lowball figure) given you have a new motor and battery - when does the warrantly run out? I bet Tesla offered you something in the 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Be interested to hear what tesla offered you in trade in

Also interested in your thoughts behind replacing the model s with model 3 as I'm in 2 minds about doing something similar with my 2017 75 model of prices aren't much different . What made you go with the model 3?

42,750 offered by Tesla. They delayed our SR+ so it’s not gone yet

selling the model S after BIK rules changed. It is an absolute beast.

warranty not out till April 2022 and I think they have to give me 8 years on the replaced 85kwh battery and motor so that is interesting

That is not a bad offer from Tesla considering some other offers they have made. Clearly my lowball figure was too lowball. I'm not sure about the 8 years further warranty. Technically they only need to cover you until 8 years from first purchase. I think they do give an additional 1 year warranty on all replacement parts. You may want to check on this.

In fairness, that's not an atrocious offer from Tesla, but I'd say you could get a bit more even in a private sale. That said, the market for people buying cars worth over €40k that are nearly out of warranty from private sellers is miniscule

I like the idea myself of selling my Model S and buying a brand new Model 3 for all the obvious reasons: brand new warranty, MIC is much better built, I'm a fan of LiFePo4, costs relatively little to upgrade. I like the drive of the Model 3 and the ergonomics of the minimalistic interior

That said, the Model 3 doesn't really cut the mustard. It is very small, too small for a family of 5. It is no hatchback, so very impractical (I like carrying a bike or solar panels or a washing machine and of course our dog). It's also not a good looking car. And a base Model 3 would be very slow compared to a Model S Performance. Also the quietness and the air suspension of the Model S make for a great long distance traveler.

What are your reasons for changing to Model 3, @trackdaychamp?

BIK is the reason for sale. Govt keep moving the goalposts. Infotainment in M3 will be super snappy. Obviously it will not look as good or have even half the performance but I just want an easy life

What are the BIK benefits of moving to Model 3 (presumably SR+) over your current Model S Performance? Could you do some sums to show us?

• Advertisement

There is no additional warranty on replacement parts made under warranty, if Tesla replace your HV motor with a day left on your 8yr period and it proves defective a week later you have zero cover

Has anyone with MCU2 received the new software update, some ridiculous moves, heated seats take multiple taps and charging limit screen gone completely along with charging session info on the main screen, there’s gonna have to be a rollback as it’s a crazy move in terms of functionality

I’m also in the same boat, I’ve (the good version) CPO bumper to bumper until October this year and battery/drivetrain until 2023 but the lack of hatch and being in a fully loaded S is a hard come down to a 3, premium connectivity and free SuC also hard to lose

By my calculations my SR+ or whatever they are calling it today costs about €55k total full retail price without grants, which is what Revenue applies. Current BIK allows the first €50k at 0%. So €5k at 30% (my mileage is not large) is €1,500 taxable cash benefit per year or for someone who pays tax at the higher rate then about €62 per month comes off my payslip.

The Model S p85d was not for sale in Ireland in 2015 AFAIK but it was not a cheap car. I think I still have the original invoice from Tesla UK. Let's say the car sold for €100k here (more like €130k or even €150k I reckon) then I would be paying BIK on an additional €50,000 over the 0% allowance (best case) or more like €80k. Same BIK as buying an S class roughly. Even if we use the €100k figure so BIK on 50k then 30% of that is €15,000 taxable cash benefit or €625 per month coming off my wages.

I hear what you're saying about the Model S Unkel. Totally agree by the way. We don't have the same use cases as you but we still need good interior space. I have now fitted a car seat to a friends M3P in last few days and it seems to me that the packaging of interior space in M3 is very good. Obviously the rear boot is the biggest difference between the 2. Tow hitch will help us on M3 with bikes or more storage on the very rare occasions we are loading it up. I'm getting obsessed with solar panels and zappi chargers right now so I want to get the latest and greatest infotainment in the M3 and also have an easier car to park for herself. I know we could get the new MCU in Model S but I'm ready for a change.

Post edited by trackdaychamp on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

God it's poor. All the one touch icons are gone and everything is in sub menus.

The time left on songs and podcasts are gone from Spotify as well. Replaced with a sliding bar with no time on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tu2j2

Are you going selling privately or just trading it in? Do put it up here if your doing up an ad for it, I could potentially be interested, I'm currently having the new model 3 vs used S conundrum and the current stock of used S's wouldn't exactly get me too excited at the moment. Hoping a few more come up in the next while with people getting new stuff.

@tu2j2 - make sure you test drive both, they are very different cars

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tu2j2

Ya I've driven both already, I would say the model 3 is a far better all around car from a design and production point of view, the S definitely feels like a previous generation but there are still things it does better than the 3, Main one being boot space and I'd guess long distance comfort, I haven't been in either long enough to really say. I'm doing the bones of 50k km a year and pretty much work out of my car so comfort is pretty high up my priority list.

That's big miles. If you spend an extreme amount of time in your car, doing very high mileage, surely your choice should be Model S on air suspension. For your own sanity.

• Advertisement

Tesla will offer premiums for the P cars.

I was offered €57,620 this week for my 2016 P90DL by Tesla.

Advertisement